Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to avoid illegal drug use?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

just take legal ones

You mean like those Chinese bath salts and plant food from head shops made by budget industrial chemists in China? Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was offered drugs once; cannot remember what. Cannabis? Something illegal anyways NB I am an old lady who walks with a stick and sometimes clearly in pain,

It was at a street market in Dunmanway. A couple who told me it would ease my [pain better than codeine which they said is addictive.. they only backed off when I reminded them that it was illegal

It must be so easy to get caught up in it; I have severe chronic pain

Must be so easy to get caught up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I myself became addicted to Toblerone during a dark period in my life. At my worst, I ballooned to up to 14 stone, which is 11.3% above my optimum BMI.

I am never justifying drugs. The only thing I hate more than drugs is the people who take them.

Hey it was a joke, directed more at the research bods than at thee! I know you better than that after all this time; forgive me; just had some hard news and am trying to distract from it. SORRY!

I don't hate anyone; just stay clear. Which is easy in my situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Of course its possible but why would u want to, drugs are cool kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Graces7 wrote: »
    I was offered drugs once; cannot remember what. Cannabis? Something illegal anyways NB I am an old lady who walks with a stick and sometimes clearly in pain,

It was at a street market in Dunmanway. A couple who told me it would ease my [pain better than codeine which they said is addictive.. they only backed off when I reminded them that it was illegal

It must be so easy to get caught up in it; I have severe chronic pain

Must be so easy to get caught up.

Cannabis can relieve pain for a lot of people and in fairness it's a lot milder than cocaine or other types of drugs. I'd have the odd joint every now and then as I find it helps me relax and sleep better. I don't consume alcohol or even coffee or other high caffeine drinks as they leave me feeling absolutely wrecked both mentally and physically.

I don't hate anyone; just stay clear.

Try wading knee deep down OConnell street in them. They are dirty, eyesores, smelly and a danger to themselves and other people. That film "Adam and Paul" gives great insight to the Junkie mindset.

corsav6 wrote: »
    Cannabis can relieve pain for a lot of people and in fairness it's a lot milder than cocaine or other types of drugs. I'd have the odd joint every now and then as I find it helps me relax and sleep better. I don't consume alcohol or even coffee or other high caffeine drinks as they leave me feeling absolutely wrecked both mentally and physically.

As I said very clearly it is illegal. Period. End of..

Try wading knee deep down OConnell street in them. They are dirty, eyesores, smelly and a danger to themselves and other people. That film "Adam and Paul" gives great insight to the Junkie mindset.

No thank you! I will stay where I am ! And never seen that film and do not want to .. lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Sooner this kind of thinking is gone then maybe cannabis will be legalised to some extent, get with the times

• Advertisement

rapul wrote: »
    Sooner this kind of thinking is gone then maybe cannabis will be legalised to some extent, get with the times

Why? I have no desire and no need. Period.

You wreck your head if you want to but no way will I .
    Even were they legal. no way. I am with the times ; read this thread

OK?
    OK!

And the mentality of trying to sell junk to an old lady like that! REALLY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Why do you lot take drugs anyway?

How do you know what pill it is you're taking and what not?

If someone went up to you on the street and handed you a Mars bar without it being wrapped you wouldn't eat it

Pretty easily if you're not an idiot and take harm reduction seriously and inform yourself, not everyone who consumes drugs is an idiotic waster who'll put anything into their bodies. It'd be far more easy for people who use drugs in Ireland to be safer if we actually had harm reduction services available like other countries because unfortunately there still are too many idiots who'll buy any old pill/bag off shady dealers. It's quite strange seeing as it's never been easier to learn about anything with how accessible the internet is. Laziness I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Why do you lot take drugs anyway?

How do you know what pill it is you're taking and what not?

If someone went up to you on the street and handed you a Mars bar without it being wrapped you wouldn't eat it

I agree, no interest in taking drugs. People have no issue taking lines of coke off a cistern of a toilet in a night club or pub but if I gave them a drink in a dirty glass they'd say no.

Just because it's illegal doesn't mean you can't entertain the idea, and possibility, of it actually being something that genuinely could help you. Do you think it's immoral simply because of its legal status? Because that's really stupid if so. It's fully legal in Canada and Uruguay and in multiple States in the US, and medicinally legal in many more, so clearly there must be something to it

I agree, no interest in taking drugs. People have no issue taking lines of coke off a cistern of a toilet in a night club or pub but if I gave them a drink in a dirty glass they'd say no.

You haven't a clue if you think most people do lines off toilet cisterns, that's filthy

Arrival wrote: »
    You haven't a clue if you think most people do lines off toilet cisterns, that's filthy

Thankfully I know nothing about it. So where do they take it ? Some of the local places here you have no choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

People that have never touched them are a bit odd tbh. Either deeply conservative or deferential to authority.

Thankfully I know nothing about it. So where do they take it ? Some of the local places here you have no choice

Off their phones if doing lines or just use a key to do bumps. Some scaldy people would use coins
    People that have never touched them are a bit odd tbh. Either deeply conservative or deferential to authority.

Yeah, I understand it with the older generation since they were basically brainwashed due to the lack of sources to learn the truth from but the younger generations, hearing people being closed minded and judgemental about recreational drug use really stands out as strange because there's no excuse for it. Fair enough if someone doesn't want to try the likes of coke, honestly they're not missing out on much there, but stuff like MDMA, psilocybin, LSD etc are all great fun and can be very beneficial to try at least once, provided you actually respect them and don't overdo it. It's funny to think some people reading me saying this would think I'm a lunatic or even a degenerate when the reality is the total opposite. MDMA is currently being trialled for treating PTSD patients by the FDA in the US, I would fully support mandatory MDMA experiences for every person in the country, it'd be hugely beneficial for society to have everyone learn to be more empathetic and compassionate; unfortunately scumbags who are absolute pillheads have massively tarnished the reputation of MDMA

Just because it's illegal doesn't mean you can't entertain the idea, and possibility, of it actually being something that genuinely could help you. Do you think it's immoral simply because of its legal status? Because that's really stupid if so. It's fully legal in Canada and Uruguay and in multiple States in the US, and medicinally legal in many more, so clearly there must be something to it

Oh DEAR! Yes, immoral to break the law. Very much so. And mind your manners please. Calling folk names does not endear anyone to your cause .

And whatever you think it should be at this time it is illegal.. Here in Ireland where I live.

That is my decision. . If you want to do it, WHY not just do it? Do you need my endorsement to justify what YOU do? Ah is that it?

And I have all the help I need, thank you.

Off their phones if doing lines or just use a key to do bumps. Some scaldy people would use coins

Not being smart but i didn't know.

• Advertisement

Do you think it's immoral simply because of its legal status? Because that's really stupid if so. It's fully legal in Canada and Uruguay and in multiple States in the US, and medicinally legal in many more, so clearly there must be something to it

No, there is nothing wrong with the inanimate chemicals, its to prevent them getting to the end user, who isnt always the most desireable person to be around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

God, all I want now is a fcuking joint. It helps me sleep ( good) and gives me a appetite ( im seriosly underweight ) plus I get to rehear all kinds of music I'd forgotten about. Plus my leg doesn't tremble after it.

Oh DEAR! Yes, immoral to break the law. Very much so. And mind your manners please. Calling folk names does not endear anyone to your cause .

And whatever you think it should be at this time it is illegal.. Here in Ireland where I live.

That is my decision. . If you want to do it, WHY not just do it? Do you need my endorsement to justify what YOU do? Ah is that it?

And I have all the help I need, thank you.

I don't even use or like cannabis so I definitely don't need your endorsement. I am just aware of its benefits for coping with pain that many people use it for. As for the bold, you said you've chronic pain so apparently not
    No, there is nothing wrong with the inanimate chemicals, its to prevent them getting to the end user, who isnt always the most desireable person to be around.

That's the big issue, really. I can assure you that many recreational users are genuinely successful and good people, they just use drugs to enjoy certain occasions from time to time a bit more. But unfortunately there are plenty of others who are completely undesirable people who engage in drug consumption also which exacerbates their ****tiness

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Completely possible to avoid illegal drug use.

Good try narc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Andrew00 wrote:

I've seen people puke after taking "E" only to take the "E" out of the puke and swallow it again. Back in the late 80s and early 90s an "E" would set you back 25 punts

I don't even use or like cannabis so I definitely don't need your endorsement. I am just aware of its benefits for coping with pain that many people use it for. As for the bold, you said you've chronic pain so apparently not

That's the big issue, really. I can assure you that many recreational users are genuinely successful and good people, they just use drugs to enjoy certain occasions from time to time a bit more. But unfortunately there are plenty of others who are completely undesirable people who engage in drug consumption also which exacerbates their ****tiness

Oh I did not know that taking illegal drugs cured serious illnesses? I have chronic pain that is well under control with prescription meds whose purity and safety I can trust. As I am sure you knew already. lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Oh I did not know that taking illegal drugs cured serious illnesses? I have chronic pain that is well under control with prescription meds whose purity and safety I can trust. As I am sure you knew already. lol!

Certain extracts from cannabis can be beneficial for certain conditions, such as controlling seizures. These extracts are not necessarily the phsycoactive parts of the drug, so it's not a case of getting stoned and curing seizures at the same time.

This is why you hear of medicinal cannabis use.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've seen people puke after taking "E" only to take the "E" out of the puke and swallow it again. Back in the late 80s and early 90s an "E" would set you back 25 punts
    ive have seen that too !!

I have a shaking "disorder" (physical, not mental) which western medicine nowadays suggests two possible treatments. Beta blockers which would turn me into a vegetable, and a surgical procedure to place a pump at the top of my spine, but connected to the brain. Both treatments have a very low success rate, and the surgery is also extremely dangerous. When I first got the disorder at 13 (29 years ago), they didn't have a clue, and tried a huge variety of drug dosages often with very painful side-effects. There are other experimental treatments, but honestly, they're often dodgy in the extreme.

My shaking disorder receives very little research because it's non-fatal, but it is degenerative. In that my shakes will progressively increase as I get older.. And there's strong links to it leading to Parkinson's disease in later years. It's also quite rare. For some people the shakes are limited to their hands, or the position of their heads. Mine is more rare, in that it affects my whole body. For example, I can't carry a bowl of hot soup without spilling most of it, and even with two hands, I'm likely to spill a full pint at the bar. I also get the occasional spasm which can jerk my arms, or legs, which makes driving a dubious event.

Cannabis is one of the few drugs that can help reduce the shakes. Don't get me wrong. I do smoke cannabis because I enjoy the buzz, but I also do it because of the effect on my shakes. However.... it is illegal and so, I can't have a regular supply, and have to make do with enduring the shakes (yes, I've checked with doctors for medical grade cannabis, but my disorder doesn't qualify for it). As such, I only smoke cannabis a few times a year, and generally prior to special events to reduce my shakes for a few hours.

I've lived all my adult life with this shaking disorder. It's part of my life and personality now... but it's definitely not easy to deal with. Especially, as I can see it getting worse each year.

There are many posters here who have a very narrow perspective about drugs. It's not all about getting fcuked up. (I prefer LSD or Shrooms for that :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

pablo128 wrote: »
    Certain extracts from cannabis can be beneficial for certain conditions, such as controlling seizures. These extracts are not necessarily the phsycoactive parts of the drug, so it's not a case of getting stoned and curing seizures at the same time.

This is why you hear of medicinal cannabis use.

So true.

Advertisement