Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS3 worth getting in 2020

  • 25-01-2020 6:41pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭


    Need some advice, I have had an original model PS4 since 2015 and have a PS1 and PS2 from back in the day and now I'm considering a PS3 as I don't want to pay for Online on PS4 and want to play GTA V Online.

    Also,I want to play GTA IV and other games available on the PS3 but not on the PS4.

    Is it worth getting in 2020 and which one would be better, the slim PS3 or super slim PS3?

    I've looked at a used 500gb Super slim and it looks good according to me.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge


    I still play mine from time to time. Some great games on it. Recently been playing resistance and kill zone and tom Clancy's hawx.

    Would I replace it if it broke? Prob not


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    I still play mine from time to time. Some great games on it. Recently been playing resistance and kill zone and tom Clancy's hawx.

    Would I replace it if it broke? Prob not


    Which version do you have,the original model,slim or super slim?


  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu


    Have mine still its great for playing older games and for deals on older games,got the resident evil super bundle for 15 euro not that long ago.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay


    You don't want to pay 45 quid for an online service, but you'll pay whatever for old and unsupported hardware and a massively hobbled version of GTA?


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    daheadonu wrote:
    Have mine still its great for playing older games and for deals on older games,got the resident evil super bundle for 15 euro not that long ago.


    Nice


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    sugarman wrote:
    Absolutely, still a great console with a great library and its very easily exploited these days to play your *ahem* backups and emulators. Youtube is your friend on that one.


    Haha,True.


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    Shiminay wrote:
    You don't want to pay 45 quid for an online service, but you'll pay whatever for old and unsupported hardware and a massively hobbled version of GTA?


    It's a one off payment and PS3's are around 50-60 euro used on adverts.ie,it's not like I'm tearing a hole in my pocket while the 45 quid per year is an annual payment which isn't of any use for me as most of the time I'm busy with work so I won't be able to utilise the money spent on PS Plus. GTA IV is such a good game,sure the graphics aren't the best but the story is top notch though on the other hand GTA V on PS3 isn't the best but the best part is that GTA online is free.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu


    The last update for GTA Online on PS3 was December 2016 so you'll be missing out on a lot of content compared to current gen and PS3 will probably be full of hackers (or whatever you wanna call them)

    I'd recommend getting a cheap Xbox One S, getting a Gamepass Ultimate sub as GTA5 is now on there.
    There should still be the cheaper way to get Gamepass Ultimate by getting cheap Xbox Gold and then upgrading for 1 euro to Gamepass Ultimate. (Gamepass Ultimate is Gold and Gamepass combined)

    You can also play GTA 4 on the XB1 as its backwards compatible.


  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed


    Need some advice, I have had an original model PS4 since 2015 and have a PS1 and PS2 from back in the day and now I'm considering a PS3 as I don't want to pay for Online on PS4 and want to play GTA V Online.

    Also,I want to play GTA IV and other games available on the PS3 but not on the PS4.

    Is it worth getting in 2020 and which one would be better, the slim PS3 or super slim PS3?

    I've looked at a used 500gb Super slim and it looks good according to me.

    For the backwards compatibility alone it's worth it. Saves having both the ps1 and ps2 hooked up and taking up room.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭eggy81


    JDigweed wrote: »
    For the backwards compatibility alone it's worth it. Saves having both the ps1 and ps2 hooked up and taking up room.

    Wasnt that only the original 6GB ps3. The massive one. Be hard to find an operational one of those now I'd say. Mine packed in after about 3 years. Still play modern warfare 2 on the slim now.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    Kenjataimu wrote:
    The last update for GTA Online on PS3 was December 2016 so you'll be missing out on a lot of content compared to current gen and PS3 will probably be full of hackers (or whatever you wanna call them)

    Kenjataimu wrote:
    I'd recommend getting a cheap Xbox One S, getting a Gamepass Ultimate sub as GTA5 is now on there. There should still be the cheaper way to get Gamepass Ultimate by getting cheap Xbox Gold and then upgrading for 1 euro to Gamepass Ultimate. (Gamepass Ultimate is Gold and Gamepass combined)

    Kenjataimu wrote:
    You can also play GTA 4 on the XB1 as its backwards compatible.


    You're right but I don't like Xbox because of the thumbstick placement on the controller.

    And I'll have to pay for Online which as I mentioned earlier,I won't use a lot hence a waste of money in the long run.

    GTA IV is backwards compatible with the XB1,that's a plus.


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    JDigweed wrote:
    For the backwards compatibility alone it's worth it. Saves having both the ps1 and ps2 hooked up and taking up room.


    Only the original model was backwards compatible with the PS1 and PS2,all others are only compatible with PS1.

    I don't have the PS1 connected at the moment so I've got space.


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    eggy81 wrote:
    Wasnt that only the original 6GB ps3. The massive one. Be hard to find an operational one of those now I'd say. Mine packed in after about 3 years. Still play modern warfare 2 on the slim now.

    The original model isn't reliable,the best ones are the slim and super slim as I've heard.


  • Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool


    Absolutely. I got a ps3 slim a few weeks back for 70 in Gamestop, one of the best purchases in a long time. Mass effect trilogy, skate, fight night champion, gta 4, ico, demons souls, deadly premonition and Mafia 2. Will keep me going a while.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer


    I play my PS3 more than my PS4. No I have a PC for multiplatform a but taking exclusives onto account the PS3 is a great console whole the PS4 is pretty bad. Plenty of great games on the PS3 that still hold up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge


    Which version do you have,the original model,slim or super slim?

    Original I was a day one buyer and that baby just keeps on trucking


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude


    What I wouldn't give to have my launch model working again 😭


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    Zero-Cool wrote:
    Absolutely. I got a ps3 slim a few weeks back for 70 in Gamestop, one of the best purchases in a long time. Mass effect trilogy, skate, fight night champion, gta 4, ico, demons souls, deadly premonition and Mafia 2. Will keep me going a while.


    Nice


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    Retr0gamer wrote:
    I play my PS3 more than my PS4. No I have a PC for multiplatform a but taking exclusives onto account the PS3 is a great console whole the PS4 is pretty bad. Plenty of great games on the PS3 that still hold up.

    Good Games on the PS4 are limited.


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    Original I was a day one buyer and that baby just keeps on trucking


    Really,most people's original models died soon after purchase.

    A friend had one,it overheated and cooked itself. He replaced it with an Xbox 360 and now he has a PS4.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge


    Really,most people's original models died soon after purchase.

    A friend had one,it overheated and cooked itself. He replaced it with an Xbox 360 and now he has a PS4.

    Yep really iv cleaned its innards a few times over the years and never had a problem.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭The White Wolf


    I'd echo the sentiment that it depends on the games you want to play and the price of the console. I still have my ps3. I still fire it up to play some favoured games.


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    Bought a super slim today for 75 euro, found a guy selling it on gumtree. Had it advertised for 90 euro but I did some negotiation.Only reason I paid this much is because it's in really good condition,has a few light scratches but overall looks good.

    He didn't have any games so I'll have to sort that out myself.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭weemcd


    Get Wipeout HD if you can find it, and if you're into that sort of thing. Savage game.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick


    It's worth it for Demon's Souls alone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    weemcd wrote:
    Get Wipeout HD if you can find it, and if you're into that sort of thing. Savage game.

    That's a racing game,if I remember correctly?

    I like racing games.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭weemcd


    That's a racing game,if I remember correctly?

    I like racing games.

    Yes it's a racing game with power ups and weapons etc. The craft you pilot are like small fighter jets. The frame rate is brilliant, the graphics still hold up and the soundtrack is great. Try and get the version that has HD and the Fury pack. Bound to find that for a few quid.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries


    It's worth it for Demon's Souls alone.

    my copy is still seal wrapped, never got round to playing and when I tried Dark Souls I realised I don't like those Soulsborne games


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015


    weemcd wrote:
    Yes it's a racing game with power ups and weapons etc. The craft you pilot are like small fighter jets. The frame rate is brilliant, the graphics still hold up and the soundtrack is great. Try and get the version that has HD and the Fury pack. Bound to find that for a few quid.

    Yeah,I'll look for it. Sounds good.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    I got GTA IV Complete Edition today and GTA V.

    I'm also going to get Gran Turismo 5 and 6.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus


    A PlayStation 3 is still worth is as it can be "modified" so you can get hours of use out of it.


Advertisement