Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

DaveyDave wrote: »
    House had tiled bathrooms already so that cut down on cost a little. House is 112m 3 bed. Went with 12mm AC5 rated wooden floor for the living room, upstairs bedrooms and landing. 70oz carpet on the stairs and a travertine style tile (€25m2) in the kitchen, utility room, hallway and coat room along with a white gloss metro tile (€18m2) for kitchen and downstairs toilet splashback. Cost for the floors including sealing uneven areas and shaving the bottom of some doors was €5,350. Very happy with the floors, they're put in very well. No shortcuts taken on the trickier corners. Only issue was when the skirting boards were put back the seemed to go overboard with extra nails. We ended up with approx €125 of tile left over surprisingly.

Blackout roller blinds for large front window, rear kitchen window, 4 bedroom windows and vertical blind for French doors were €750 fitted. Didn't need to do the two bathroom windows or the hallway as they're at the side of the house.

We went with a smaller floor company rather than the usual Carpet Right type as we heard nothing but bad things from people who spent a lot more money than we did.

We had the budget to spend a more but didn't need to because we were able to get decent quality stuff at fair prices.

Great stuff. Well done. Bidding on a 102sqm place ourselves . Period house that will need a full €50k renovation according to engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

jrosen wrote: »
    Did the same company do your tiles?

Same company did wood, tile and carpet. They don't sell tiles so I ordered them myself, got them next day delivery in Dublin. They do the vinyl stuff, that seems to be becoming more popular again.

Not sure if I'm allowed drop names but if anyone is interested in either the floor company or the blind company feel free to drop me a PM, then you can have a look on their Facebook page and see what sort of stuff they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

Same company did wood, tile and carpet. They don't sell tiles so I ordered them myself, got them next day delivery in Dublin. They do the vinyl stuff, that seems to be becoming more popular again.

Not sure if I'm allowed drop names but if anyone is interested in either the floor company or the blind company feel free to drop me a PM, then you can have a look on their Facebook page and see what sort of stuff they do.

?DM requested for company name please

jrosen wrote: »
    We have had confirmation this morning that we can have the floors and carpets fit next week. So time shall tell.

it's not for time to tell, it's illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Under what law? Even in Friday's press conference Leo stumbled over this. It certainly never seemed like as clear cut as indoor vs outdoor since beyond a certain point any finishing works on an active construction site are inherently indoor, and in the Q&A it was conceded that indoor vs outdoor wasn't so clear cut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's not clear cut whether your flooring and carpets are being fitted indoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Graham wrote: »

That much is clear cut, but the announcement frankly fudged or glossed over finishing work that is inherently indoors. Renovations in a dwelling are still verboten but a construction site was side stepped as being a different environment.

I'd hold off with the carpets if it's still a construction site :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Housing is classed as essential.
    some aspects of construction will have to to carried out in confined spaces and indoors also without social distancing in theses circumstances full PPE must be worn where practical.
    It is clearly stated in a list provided to the construction federation.
    So flooring tiling painting ECT is permitted.

It's great that it's been clarified, any link you can share?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

They have confirmed and arranged a time. If its illegal well thats something as a company they can deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It's great that it's been clarified, any link you can share?

Construction federation of Ireland.
    Does not allow for in door home renovations work only on new home builds.
    New home fall under essential needs.
    Home renovations don't

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Who cares, if they show up they show up. Such petty nonsense this

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

I understand that the regulations are set, and unclear on some discrepancies. But imo an empty house getting new carpets is a lot safer than some of the scenes I've seen in supermarkets or other 'essential' retailers. And that's nothing until next Monday. I'm sale agreed at the moment, and there's a huge level of inconsistency in who's 'essential' and who's not...

Who cares, if they show up they show up. Such petty nonsense this

Grand so. Let us know when a family member gets Covid, see if it's pretty then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Grand so. Let us know when a family member gets Covid, see if it's pretty then.

I understand not everyone will agree with all the rules depending on their situation but come on, it's ok for people to go get a cup of coffee but it's not ok to get floors installed on a new, unoccupied house?

My mam is a kidney transplant recipient with a weak immune system, I'm still going to work and doing a weekly shop. I'm no longer a risk to her now that I've moved out.

What should have been a 1 day job was 3 days due to distancing. I was only there to lock and unlock the door each day. It's a very low risk scenario.

I understand not everyone will agree with all the rules depending on their situation but come on, it's ok for people to go get a cup of coffee but it's not ok to get floors installed on a new, unoccupied house?

My mam is a kidney transplant recipient with a weak immune system, I'm still going to work and doing a weekly shop. I'm no longer a risk to her now that I've moved out.

What should have been a 1 day job was 3 days due to distancing. I was only there to lock and unlock the door each day. It's a very low risk scenario.

It doesn't matter guys. There's a statutory instrument stating what's allowed based on nphet advice. Flooring on your gaf isn't allowed and action can be taken against those that are working illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

As part of Phase 1 'Construction can return only if it is safe to do so'

So it should be ok for the flooring person to install the floor on their own but not for the electrician to put in the spot lights, painters to paint the walls in the same room, interior designer walking around pretending to be busy, furniture company delivering the 3 piece suite for the room, and the owner sitting on the sofa watching the premiership all in the same room at the same time, so if you can try and avoid this:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Common sense should always prevail, the rules that were made up throughout this were never enforced or maybe even enforceable.
    The conversations about the seriousness of Covid have all happened, we all get it.

However, as an adult, I can make a decision as to what is and isn't safe for me or my family.

We have a government who says, indoor renovations cannot happen, even if the house is vacant? I had been planning a reno myself and I have been in contact with the contractors every few weeks.

The electrician in particular has told me that once the house becomes available he will most definitely be carrying out work. For him, it's about survival for his family, financial survival. He work in the house knowing that it's vacant, he and his colleague will take all the precautions they can to stay safe.

One of the window installers told me that they are installing windows still, have never stopped.

I can do the majority of other work myself, lay floors, replace doors, fix any plaster issues. And if the house becomes available, I will be doing this work without any fear of being asked to stop.

Get the work you need to get done complete in a safe manner. Live your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

“However, new builds will be allowed to be completed, according to Minister for the Diaspora & International Development, Ciaran Cannon.

This will encompass some forms of indoor work”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jess2019

Hi all,
    We had received a formal loan offer from PTSB for a new build back in March. We pulled out of the new build due to covid and a few other reasons. I’m working from home on normal wages. My partners job closed at the start of the lockdown then slowly reopened, he was put on the subsidy payment then taken off it as he returned to work. His boss said things are quiet the past week and he is going to take advantage of the subsidy payment and put him back on it until things pick up.
    At the start of the month (when my partner just went back to work) we went sale agreed on a second hand property. Our broker advised us PTSB never asked for any documentation regarding this new house and are sending a valuer out to the house tomorrow.
    The fact he is back on the covid subsidy payment (which is being topped up) has us terrified we will be refused at drawdown. We don’t know when he will be back on full wages and are just sick over it all.
    At what stage do you think they could ask for payslips etc and how long could the sale of the house take? We’re first time buyers and have no clue how things will go.

Jess2019 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We had received a formal loan offer from PTSB for a new build back in March. We pulled out of the new build due to covid and a few other reasons. I’m working from home on normal wages. My partners job closed at the start of the lockdown then slowly reopened, he was put on the subsidy payment then taken off it as he returned to work. His boss said things are quiet the past week and he is going to take advantage of the subsidy payment and put him back on it until things pick up.
    At the start of the month (when my partner just went back to work) we went sale agreed on a second hand property. Our broker advised us PTSB never asked for any documentation regarding this new house and are sending a valuer out to the house tomorrow.
    The fact he is back on the covid subsidy payment (which is being topped up) has us terrified we will be refused at drawdown. We don’t know when he will be back on full wages and are just sick over it all.
    At what stage do you think they could ask for payslips etc and how long could the sale of the house take? We’re first time buyers and have no clue how things will go.

From other posts, it seems to be at drawdown when the funds are requested from the bank. Literally at the last hurdle...

Hi all,

From other posts, it seems to be at drawdown when the funds are requested from the bank. Literally at the last hurdle...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BrosnanL27

We're in a bit of a similar situation ourselves (first time buyers, loan approval from PTSB, I'm working from home on normal wage and husband's wage has very recently started being topped up via the gov subsidy). We put an offer in on a house a couple of weeks back - still waiting for an answer on it being accepted or not - but I informed our broker about my husband's wage and he said PTSB will not drawdown until his payslips show there's no covid-19 subsidy payments. Not ideal! However, I bypassed our broker and called PTSB themselves and was told they could still drawdown but would base it off my husbands new payslips - presumably offering a lower max amount that we could borrow. It would be worth your while calling them to double check. Hope it all works out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

We went sale agreed in early Feb for 10% over asking price, but have not signed anything since as the virus made us quite uncomfortable moving forward with the uncertainty around it all.

The EA contacted last week to give us an ultimatum, we told him to move forward with whatever they need to do about contacting underbidders as we're still not comfortable signing anything.

We didn't ask, but he made it clear they would not be entertaining price reductions and anybody waiting for that in general are wasting their money renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

We went sale agreed in early Feb for 10% over asking price, but have not signed anything since as the virus made us quite uncomfortable moving forward with the uncertainty around it all.

The EA contacted last week to give us an ultimatum, we told him to move forward with whatever they need to do about contacting underbidders as we're still not comfortable signing anything.

We didn't ask, but he made it clear they would not be entertaining price reductions and anybody waiting for that in general are wasting their money renting.

If your telling them to contact underbidders you should make a lower offer. You've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

Hi all,

Going from sale agreed to actual signing/drawdown can take ages so this might not be a problem for you. We went sale agreed at start of year, but it dragged out until 2 weeks ago (to be fair to everyone else, I didn't pursue it at the start of Covid, I was up to my eyes with work at the time).

It was last week (getting ready to drawdown this month) that PTSB asked for payslips, saw that I was getting the top up, and pulled the plug.

As far as I know the subsidy is only until end of June(?) so if you are back on "normal" payslips from July onwards - and it could take you that long to get to signing anyway - you shouldn't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

7 days away from completing our sale. So close!

It will be a pain if something goes wrong now as the house is almost fully in boxes.

Sale completed on Friday and now moved into an apartment temporarily.

Placed an offer today (7.5% below asking price) on a property we viewed on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

Fairly arrogant from EA. Imagine a buyer telling an EA that they would not be entertaining a bidding war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

TheSheriff wrote: »
    If your telling them to contact underbidders you should make a lower offer. You've nothing to lose.

Honestly it's just too uncertain for us to part with any money right now, not until things settle down again, I told him that too.

We love the house but it's far too risky right now.
    I did tell him to hold onto our deposit until it something happens because we still have every intention of buying it when we're back to some normality, we also completely understand the seller wants to move on.

Advertisement