Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 phishfood

ah congratulations! 4 months is pretty good timeline I would think.

Hoping that this is us next weekend after an excruciating 13 months from sale agreed. We also first time buyers and the house was empty, previously rented. BOI came back with one documentation request a week after requesting funds but think we should be sorted for closing in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Looks like we’re close to having the sale of our house fall through. Yesterday was the deadline for us to finalise contracts and closing date. We couldn’t sign as the vendors were buying off of still hadn’t gone sale agreed on a property that they’ve been highest bidders on for nearly 2 weeks. EA dragging it out to see if there’s more interest. Highly annoyed about it. My in laws will only allow us stay with them if we’ve some sort of guarantee that our vendors are sale agreed! Don’t blame them, it’ll be a lot to take on for around 8 weeks! Two small kids and two bigger ones in us!!

my solicitor has delayed sending paper work back to our purchaser’s solicitor as a way of seeing if our vendor can get sorted and then we sign!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Clayver

Have to say buying a house has been one of the most frustrating and draining experiences, even worse than I had imagined.

One place I was interested in i put several bids on. Each time other bidders went higher I was being hounded by EA about going again, how interested are you? etc... yet each time I made higher offer I wouldn't hear from her for days and she wouldn't respond or answer calls. They finally accepted my offer, went sale agreed, she offers her congratulations. Hurray! ...a couple hours later they accepted an offer 1k above mine. I was so annoyed I gave up on it, it left a bad taste.

Another place I liked I put my 2nd or 3rd offer a bit over asking price, someone else then went €5k higher. What's weird with this one was they had an open viewing the following day and my sister went up for a look knowing I was interested and when she asked him about the price she was told the current highest offer was actually mine ?!

Anyway i've now gone SA on a place I like and i'm absolutely praying I don't have to deal with some of the issues in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

Hopefully getting the keys this week after 5 weeks of airbnb’ing (moved out of own place early September).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Must be something in the water, I THINK I'll have keys next week, broker said to expect funds to hit our solicitor in 5 days so I'm hoping that Mon/Tues we'll sync up to swap the keys over. What an exhausting journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Yes EA love to play a game. I got similar experiences.

Good luck on the new purchase.

Living the life

Damn right they do! I don’t even trust the EA that’s handling the sale of my house and that’s hanging by thinnest string you’ll ever see!!

So got an update from my vendor through her EA on the house she’s bidding on. She is again the highest bidder and has set a deadline of tomorrow to hear back as she thinks she been taken for a ride….

yesterday I got my Mother in law to ring that EA to see what the story was with that house with a view to viewing it if the price was right etc… he quoted €12k over the current highest bid(my vendor)

was this to scare her off??? As my mother in law said thanks but no thanks as her budget was less €20k less than that figure.

If the EA comes back to your vendor with the offer, I'd be telling everyone about the conman that EA is! You'd think he'd let the vendor know if she's been outbid?! I got outbid on a property and the EA rang me as the bidders were pulling away from him!

I’d like to think he’s just scaring her off as my Mother in law wasn’t giving much info about herself only her budget etc. he’s from my town and have never heard of him as being that way but maybe it’s the way he does it. But I do find it strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 syrgian

Finally went sale agreed on a house, after ~5 months of search knowing exactly what we wanted and what we could afford. It took this long because the previous houses we bid on went way higher than we were prepared to pay, much more (20-40k) than similar houses sold recently in the exact same street.

One particularity of the house we went sale agreed on is that it had a large side-garden that has been sold as a site to build a 2-storey 3-bedroom. This was perfectly reflected in the price, the house would have been extremely unaffordable otherwise.

Neither the house we want to buy, the house it is attached to, nor the new site appear in landdirect.ie (the houses are from the 50s, so not surprised they were never digitally processed). However other houses with identical construction in that area are registered in landdirect.ie.

How concerning is this? How long does it usually take to update the boundaries in all the systems that need to be updated? Which additional documentation do banks usually ask for? (We're early in the process, the contracts have not been sent yet, and I don't have answers from the bank)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Buying and selling at the moment and finding it utterly depressing how everything is costing far more than expected.

Paid out a small fortune on an engineer survey for the place we're buying and he's after strongly recommending a few other surveys including a drain survey that is coming in at around a grand. Got the solicitors estimate of costs this morning which was over a grand more than I was expecting. We're up at around €22000 in costs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭This is it

Pretty sure they all advise you get electrical, plumbing, pipe, etc surveys, unless they found something specific I'd fire ahead without. It's more to cover themselves

It's the combined costs of buying and selling, 6.5k solicitors fee, 6k estate agent, 6k stamp duty and 1.5k engineer survey are the big ones.

Oh yeah he recommended everything under the sun but apparently the drain one is important because there's a big network of drains due to the amount of previous extensions and it has its own septic tank. Really is an added cost we could do without though.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

We had the same. Selling and buying solicitors costs, stamp duty, surveys etc. It's a joke, although we sold with no estate agent, saved 5k. Put estate agents out of business.

Buying and selling is fecking stressful especially when you need to sell before you buy!

Fair play, I really regret not doing the same. Did you do viewings yourself or get a friend to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Landdirect shows houses that are land registry title. Not registry of deeds. It’s possible your property is registry of deeds. Purchasers of registry of deeds property since 2010 have to convert the title to land registry. It’s possible the other houses in the estate have been sold since 2010 and now registered in land registry.

You can ask your solicitor to check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Did it ourselves, sale agreed in a week, more than asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Bluefox556

Thought we would be drawing down this week but seems like there's been a hitch..

1. Solicitor returned her undertaking to AIB on the 28th Sept.
    2. Mortgage Cheque request was sent to AIB on the 3rd of Oct.
    3. AIB informs us today that the undertaking has two mistakes the solicitor has to rectify and so they've posted back the undertaking today for it to be fixed. (literally one number and a date left out)
    4. My valuation will expire in 3 days on the 12th..

I have a new one booked since 29th of Sept but no sign of it coming through yet.

My original valuation took 14 working days to come through. That was it's own headache as AIB were saying they didn't receive it and the valuer was saying they had sent it back.. after a few phone calls it magically appeared on the portal later that day.

Really hoping the additional valuation comes though soon and doesn't need a lot of chasing up...

Whole reason the valuation is expiring is because the vendor took 7 weeks to exchange contracts. It's been a nightmare..

After years and years of effort! Keys in hand on Friday! I can see what people mean when they say you do start to forget the painful parts of the process as you get the keys but I think it'll take a few more months before I forget the torture of the last few years.

But on the bright side, keys came about a week earlier than expected!

Now of course I have to deal with all the household bits, including cleaning out a house that the previous owner left full of crap, but the relief was certainly radiating off us when we got the keys last week.

Thanks to all who were in here keeping me sane too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

There's nothing like it Red. Sit down at the kitchen table with a cup of tea and think to yourself "this is mine!".

Congratulations on owning your own little piece of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

Finally closed today :)

now just need to get the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 molleman

so I went sale agreed on a probate house 5 days ago.

What questions should I be asking and to who regarding the probate process. My solicitor says he has to wait for their solicitor to reach out to him. Should I be getting a pre purchase survey done now or should I wait? I know it will be a long process but I just want to make sure im on top of it from the get go

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Id recommend getting it done. Should have done it with my own place but never did at the time. Few months after moving in realized the septic tank and soak pit are not up to scratch. We bought the house with the idea of building on so have to upgrade anyway so I'm putting up with getting it pumped out for now till the new systems in place. Its the bones of 10K just for the main components of a treatment system before factoring labour, pipework, drainage gravel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Wiggles88

Hey, after years of looking I went sale agreed on a house about 2 months ago. Both sellers and ourselves wanted to move fast which all seemed great.

We got our engineer out as you do, he said the house was in great condition (house is about 20 years old) but theres been a few modification since the original plans and the seller will need to send on the planning permissions/certs of compliance, no big deal. Problem is, once we said this to the sellers they started making a big song and dance about how they havent made and structural changes since there were there so its weird for us to ask. Not only that, they are now threatening to pull out because, as they put it, we are "dragging our heals".

Annoying thing is the house seems to be in great shape and our engineer is confused why they wont just get/show the proper paperwork. Im starting to think the sellers are either trying to hide something or they dont actually want to sell for one reason or another. Has anyone ever come across anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭frank730

You can talk to the estate agent to arrange survey now, then forward the survey report to your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭picturehangup

Yes, this has been our experience too, in the house we are buying. Onto the next stage for us, signing over our current house to the purchasers, and going the next step on the house we are buying, after a similar issue with a drain under the garage. Talk about things dragging on and on. It has been a very frustrating few months for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭picturehangup

Congratulations!! Wishing you many happy years in your new home!

Advertisement