Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 QRaq

Yes, they paid the booking deposit with our estate agent. Our solicitor sent their solicitor contracts Friday. Hopefully there will be some movement soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭RINO87

Finance Ireland taking forever..... Their valuation was completed 4 weeks ago, radio silence since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭TheRona

My timeline with Finance Ireland:

3rd June: Valuation carried out

23rd June: Call from Finance Ireland to pay for valuation

24th June: Soft copy of Loan Offer emailed to my broker and forwarded to me

4th July (today): Received hard copy of Loan Offer in the mail

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

Getting so fed up.

we accepted an offer on our house about 16 weeks ago, we had an offer accepted on an apartment 8 weeks ago… the date agreed was 15 July, for both. We have paid a booking deposit. We have the rest of the 10% sitting waiting in the bank.

STILL no contracts. an endless stream of random excuses from our buyers and radio silence from the sellers except when I get angry with the estate agent,,,, he just keeps saying « apartment buying is slow »… the management company from the new place won’t talk to me…

the apartment is empty, the sellers are investors, we are paying cash, from the sale of our house…

im surrounded by half packed boxes as we can’t do much without definite dates. The stress is unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Just sold an apartment. The poor communication from the management company to both solicitors held it up nearly 2 months longer than it should have. Very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Currently trying to get new build purchase over the line. Finance Ireland have all they need and its moved to 'Compliance' stage with funds possibly sending to my solicitor between today and Friday. Solicitor says developers solicitor won't issue closing documentation until funds are sitting in their client account so i presume this 'in trust' thing won't count. I had a possibility to get carpets in this friday which would have meant i could move in over the weekend but looks like that won't happen now. Whats another week after waiting 15 months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Being involved in a chain is a pain. We are equally fed up. We could move out tomorrow. Nothing keeping us here. Our buyers are great very patient. The house we are buying is empty and has been for some time.

Started the process in February. Buying property in Ireland is so slow.

Edit- minutes after posting this our solicitor rang to say that he finally has contracts for the house we are buying. Only took 3 months 😉 any progress is good news. Keep the faith folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

We went sale agreed on our house at the start of April but sale fell through as the buyers seemed to have disappeared!. We went sale agreed on our new (old) house in middle of May but there were delays getting contracts issued due to Finance Ireland delaying the release of title deeds, which were only released last week. We've all our ducks in a row as such, mortgage protection plan kicked in last month, loan offer is in and ready to draw down. We're pretty much living out of suitcases and stepping over boxes at the moment and just want to get in at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Were nearly at the end of the line thankfully, have been given a date for keys of next Friday. Just a question someone here might know the answer to. Our vendors are living in Australia so will contracts have to be posted to them and posted back or is it possible to be done over email??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭TheRona

Someone I know recently bought a house, and their vendors were Australia as well. The contracts had to be sent there and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Oh great.. Hopefully the ball is rolling on that already so.

The latest delays is the buyers solicitor is off on his holliers… FFS… get a locum like every other person would. Or get the job finished before you go. No one else in the chain can plan a holiday…

stress levels are getting too high

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

This is holiday season for many solicitors. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is. I went through the same last year. First my mortgage manager went on holiday, then my solicitor, then the seller's solicitor. It all added up to probably about 4-5 weeks of delays, but it can't be helped.

I don't know anything about law, but I would imagine you can't just get someone else in to take over your stuff for a week or two. All this stuff needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb, and I wouldn't want anyone making a mistake while I away on holiday and then get the blame for it further down the line. Buying and selling property is a long process.

It’s common practice for solicitors to use a Locum. He has the contracts now so there is no reason to delay. We accepted their offer in February. If he knew he was going to be away in August he should’ve got the finger out earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LunaLoo

We've had a similar issue first main solicitor ended up going on maternity leave earlier than planned (we'd hoped to have it all finished before she went) then locum solicitor couldn't start until the agreed time he was only there a week when he was off on holidays for 2 weeks then back only a few days and now he's off again this week. We were supposed to be closing yesterday and I'm getting phone calls from both estate agents wondering wtf is going on.

She needed to get a better locum arrangement

Very poor service. Nothing can done about the early mat leave but his holidays should have been factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Man with a plan

I am extremely worried now.

I am currently buying and we just signed the contract with our solicitor on Wednesday.

He advised us that the sellers need a deadline of closure date of next Friday 15th so we agreed to this.

But from speaking to people this can take between 2 to 4 weeks.

I'm doing all I can and everything else needed is ready to go.

Realistically is it possible that this will close next Friday ?

Anyone here who has closed lately can I ask know long did it take from putting pen to paper to closing ?

and how long did it take bank to release the funds ?

My bank is TSB.

Is it common to miss the closing date ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Thistley

Thanks all for sharing your experiences.

We are in limbo at the moment from all sides. We received a surprise notice to quit in the last few months so the clock is ticking. Hopefully, we are in a position to apply for the mortgage next month through a broker.

I have been watching the market for the last year and have noticed a drop in the price and properties not disappearing as fast. Hoping that because we are not in a chain and looking at vacant houses will mean there won't be too many delays *fingers crossed.

Cannot wait to let our kids choose the colours for their rooms for the first time ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I'm with permanent tsb and they have responded very quickly to my solicitors requests for drawdown within 1 to 2 days. I am dealing directly with the bank so if I were u just contact the bank and explain the situation or contact your broker. I think closing dates can slip a few days and if the delay is a banking one and not from something you haven't done then I don't see an issue.

We left it on Friday evening with us threatening to pull out if they didn’t agree to the original close date, 15 July. Our sellers aren’t happy but they may agree to a bit of a delay once they get the 10%. Or else we”ll get our 12k booking deposit back and we”ll start again. We can’t buy unless we have a definite sale as (amazingly) we don’t have a spare half million lying around!

our buyers will panic as they are facing a long commute for the school run if they have to start looking again. It seems to be down to their solicitor. The buyers are hassling the EA over delays, their solicitor is telling them it’s us… meanwhile we are sitting with boxes and ready to move.

we can’t even book a removal company… I’ve got quotes but availability is becoming a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

My solicitor has requested funds from the lender with the closing date 2 weeks from today. The horror stories in here are starting to get me a bit worried about timing, hopefully it all works out.

That sounds like you are on the final stretch… I think we are being lied to by the buyers solicitor. They told the EA they were ready, he claims it gonna take a month…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Have you got the contracts yet? As far as I know it would normally take a month from when contracts arrive to the actual closing date. I suspect you are going to have to move it back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Hi folks, new to the buying game and currently have a bid on a house my wife and I love. (First time buyers, second hand house)

Estate agent has queried the AIP and asked if we could share. Our lendor has said to edit the AIP and give them a figure we'd be happy with but I'm a bit uncomfortable with it.

Feels like we are showing our hand a bit, anyone do anything similar? I've been thinking of blacking out the total sum we've been approved for but not sure what that will achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Redact the amount and then send it. Never give your AIP figure to an auctioneer

If needs be and they insist you can get a letter from your solicitor to say that you can afford to bid on the house

We have contracts and there is no reason for it to take a month. The only potential delay is waiting for LPT clearance but if our solicitor holds back a few thousand for that they can’t use that as a delay, according to the Law Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

After being sale agreed for 7 months, and after one of the toughest weeks of our lives due to us and the baby being sick, we finally got our keys on Friday.

I noticed all the utilities are still connected. What's the normal procedure here? Just call up and get them transferred to our name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Brilliant news! Congratulations.

Regarding utilities, just take meter readings and contact the ESB and Bord Gais. You may need the MPRN to switch. Estate agent should have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aislingm999

Hi everyone. I plan to apply for a mortgage in a few months. I would like to buy a new build-Do new builds come with any flooring in any of the rooms? (E.g Tiles in kitchen and bathroom,carpet/wooden floors in other rooms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I'm buying a new build and it came with just tiling in the bathrooms. Same for a friend who is buying in a different estate.

Advertisement