Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I think 495 was a low asking but 650 is very high. It’s already got the attic converted and kitchen extended, with potential to extend to the side and add another 60 sq metres or so. Plus the west facing garden would be lovely in summer evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

tobsey wrote: »
    I think 495 was a low asking but 650 is very high. It’s already got the attic converted and kitchen extended, with potential to extend to the side and add another 60 sq metres or so. Plus the west facing garden would be lovely in summer evenings.

Agree with you. it's a lovely house but 650 is crazy.

Here's another. Asking 495 sold 565.

https://propertypriceregisterireland.com/details/14_brookwood_lawn_artane_dublin_5_co_dublin_ireland-480130/

There are loads of examples in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Just wow. I bought a 4 bed semiD in Cabinteely (165 sqm) for 675 in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Just wow. I bought a 4 bed semiD in Cabinteely (165 sqm) for 675 in December.

And ? Would there not be more amenities in Brookwood ? Dart , beach , St Anne's park , Airport etc

The going rate pre Xmas was around the 600k mark anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

And ? Would there not be more amenities in Brookwood ? Dart , beach , St Anne's park , Airport etc

The going rate pre Xmas was around the 600k mark anyway

Don't know, It doesnt appeal to me at all, It is too small for that price, one bedroom is super small and the layout is not great (to me). You are right with the Dart, but it is a massive price for such a small house in artane. Beach and large park are accesible to me too within 5 minutes. I don't want to sound snobbish or anything like that regarding south Dublin, I mean that 650k for a semiD 3 bed of 121 sqm is crazy money. According to PPR last house sold on that street in 2017 (and it doesn't look too different from the outside) was nearly 200k less

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Got text this morning from the wizard of oz working behind curtain for BOI saying they were happy to confirm they have received and accepted our mortgage documentation.

Hopefully letter of offer soon.

We've had personal AIP, property AIP done already and this last one was on most recent payslips and letter from my wife's employer confirming 2k of salary paid at end of each year.

Hopefully getting near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jmc25 wrote: »
    I would also be very interested to see some examples of this. I was several go 50k plus above asking back in February and March and they're yet to show up.

I suspect the time it takes to complete a sale and then for the sale to show up on the price register is the issue. But if/when they do, it'll be interesting to see the reaction when the CSO are reporting 15 to 20 per cent increases over a six month period.
    CSO figures are usually averages or median increases, while there are some areas going up by those percentages it is unlikely the average/median increases are by those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RockIT

SheepShep wrote: »
    I would be up front with bank now. I started a new job after the loan offer and we drew down two months in to a twelve month probation. Not everything is black and white, and although there is probation the underwriter considered the new job (public sector) far more secure than the job I was in.

I'm in a private sector job. Never had break in my employment ever since my first job. And job is not impacted (thankfully) by covid. Just curious to know which bank was yours? Also, the 12 month job you were in was public sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Not sure if was this thread or not, but i put an idea up recently that i think in order to bid, you have to face some financial penalty if you pull out and the house goes back on the market. If you stood to lose xk, you would think twice before putting down a bid.

If you think of an auction - if your the winning bid, you sign contact then, and pay deposit, and can't pull out - and if you do somehow manage to you'll most likely lose the deposit you put down.
    The more times house go from sale agreed to the market, the most likely outcome is that the % fee or a fixed fee cost will be added to future sales (which someone selling won't want) as the amount of time the EA has to go out and show properties, an extra few hundred doesn't cover it.

Is some sort of registered bidding system with clearance in advance appropriate, banks could be linked to the system so the EA knows in advance if you have approval for said bid.
    I've just bought at auction, to be honest so far I've I found it brilliant. I was nearly 2 years being outbid on houses and being frustrated by estate agents. Now I haven't closed yet and it has been stressful enough too but in getting there.
    The difficulty with buying at auction is the 4 weeks to close, if the banks and insurers operated with any level of efficiency in this country I think all property should be sold this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I've just bought at auction, to be honest so far I've I found it brilliant. I was nearly 2 years being outbid on houses and being frustrated by estate agents. Now I haven't closed yet and it has been stressful enough too but in getting there.
    The difficulty with buying at auction is the 4 weeks to close, if the banks and insurers operated with any level of efficiency in this country I think all property should be sold this way.

If you can't close, do you lose your deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭FrankN1

May I ask is there one main auctioneer for people
    properties in Ireland or a number of smaller ones? I'd be interested in taking this route.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    If you can't close, do you lose your deposit?

Yes as far as Im aware, I'm hoping I won't need to find out. It's a house in rural Ireland so purchase price is low enough and went in with a budget that I could buy with cash from savings and borrowed money from family, obviously this isn't an option for most people purchasing in Dublin.
    Its two weeks since auction and I have a letter off offer from the bank, all documentation signed with my solicitor. So fingers crossed I can get it done before 2 week deadline. Few little snags with home insurance and life assurance all simple details like misspelled addresses etc.
    It's total inefficiency is all should prevent me from closing. No issues with title etc. On the house end.
    Unbelievably frustrating dealing with the banks and insurers haven't dealt with the same person twice in any of them.
    Surely this market is ripe for some sort of disruptor company with efficient good quality customer service.

FrankN1 wrote: »
    properties in Ireland or a number of smaller ones? I'd be interested in taking this route.

Bidx1 I bought on. Look it's not for everyone they tend to end up there because there was some sort of issue. Do your due diligence before hand.I had my solicitor look over the legals before hand and I wouldn't have bid if she said there were problems.
    Be careful with older property where they're could be structural issues that may mean you wouldn't be able to insure it or something, won't be able to draw down mortgage.
    But as regards the bidding process it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

You can just Auction when selling a house if you want to - and some do - so like Sherry Fitz/DNG might have a few. Pro's and Con's for the seller of course - maybe they would get a better price in the open market where people bid for weeks/months on end. On the other hand, once the hammer goes down it's sold, and it's not the sellers problem if the buyer runs into problems - they will at the very least get the deposit.

Bidx1 I bought on. Look it's not for everyone they tend to end up there because there was some sort of issue. Do your due diligence before hand.I had my solicitor look over the legals before hand and I wouldn't have bid if she said there were problems.
    Be careful with older property where they're could be structural issues that may mean you wouldn't be able to insure it or something, won't be able to draw down mortgage.
    But as regards the bidding process it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

What happens if there are problems with the title and you buy through auction? Is there still a chance it doesn't go through then?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What happens if there are problems with the title and you buy through auction?

My guess, you are now the proud owner of a property that has problems with the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Received my official loan offer in the post this morning, I'm absolutely over the moon! Buying as a single person isn't easy but it is definitely rewarding. Hope the journey from here on out is smooth enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dkav9

stupid question I suspect...

But approval in principle is proof of funds yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I had an offer accepted on a place on the 17th of May (I'm the buyer).

There is still no sign of contracts from the estate agent- how long is normal? I've never gotten to this point before so I'm unsure of the timelines.

I've also said I'm willing to wait until the seller finds another place, but surely we still need to get the contract done and add in some clause about flexibility around the closing date? Otherwise I'm just being strung along?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Shelga wrote: »

There is still no sign of contracts from the estate agent- how long is normal? I've never gotten to this point before so I'm unsure of the timelines.

I've also said I'm willing to wait until the seller finds another place, but surely we still need to get the contract done and add in some clause about flexibility around the closing date? Otherwise I'm just being strung along?

The estate agent doesn't send the contracts, they will pass your solicitor details onto the vendors solicitor.
    If the vendor hasn't already engaged in the process with their solicitor it could take a bit of time, I went sale agreed on the 30th April and only got the contracts on the 25 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

dkav9 wrote: »
    stupid question I suspect...

But approval in principle is proof of funds yes?

No AIP is proof you've got mortgage approval, proof of funds is showing you have the savings to make up the difference on top of the mortgage. If it's an EA asking only give them blacked out AIP. If they insist on proof of funds get your solicitor to write a letter saying you can afford the property.
    Shelga wrote: »

They need deeds before they can send contracts and they can take 6-8 weeks to come from the bank if they hadn't requested them already.

Also if they haven't found somewhere you may be waiting a long time for them to do so and sort out that sale. The only way to reduce this is get them to agree a closing date and then they get temporary accommodation if their house hasn't sorted yet. But most people wont do this so you're stuck waiting until their new house is sorted before you can be given an actual closing date and receive your signed contracts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Has anyone else seen supply worsen even further? Was expecting viewings starting again to see a bump in supply, but it genuinely seems to be the opposite in my price range (300-400k) and area (West Dub/Kildare/Meath). At any given time over the last year, id usually have had a half dozen properties or more saved on Daft, with viewings almost every weekend. Currently zero saved, and there's next to nothing being added. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 excelsia

Been a silent spectator for months now and this thread has educated me so much!
    Got the keys for our home today! Had gone sale agreed on 31st March, so it has been a two month process! After reading some stories here, didn't expect it to be this quick :) As FTBs, it was quite daunting to go through this process, but well, having the feeling of the keys in your hand is so worth it! Beyond excited to move in to our forever home! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

givyjoe wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen supply worsen even further? Was expecting viewings starting again to see a bump in supply, but it genuinely seems to be the opposite in my price range (300-400k) and area (West Dub/Kildare/Meath). At any given time over the last year, id usually have had a half dozen properties or more saved on Daft, with viewings almost every weekend. Currently zero saved, and there's next to nothing being added. :confused:

Yes, I expected a surge in supply in my area once viewings reopened, but its like someone has turned off the tap. Very worrying since we're sale agreed on our own house.

I've tried to rationalise it by thinking sellers may be facing a backlog to get tradesman to do odd jobs, photographers etc, but Im not sure that its relevant at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

We've just gone sale agreed on a house in the last few days. Can anyone recommend a good surveyor in Dublin? We're in around Dublin 3,5

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hayley363

:| wrote: »
    We've just gone sale agreed on a house in the last few days. Can anyone recommend a good surveyor in Dublin? We're in around Dublin 3,5

We just got our survey done with Property Health Check & I found them really good. The engineer rang me after the survey to let me know how it went & I received the full report and an abbreviated version for my solicitor 2 days after the survey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Just got my official loan offer today and solicitor informed me things were moving fast with all the legal stuff, on the home striaght now I feel, just need to sort home insurance and mortgage protection.

Question in mortgage protection, do I get protection on the value of the loan only or in the loan amount plus interest I'll pay over the 25 years?

Advertisement