Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

178101213372

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf


    ...I would flip the coin and ask yourself do you need to sell? If so, would you be able to stomach selling for >20% less further down the road due to buyers waiting for the market to bottom out.

    If you agree a reduced price the buyer is likely to keep asking for reductions. Only way to know the price is to go back to the market and see if anyone offers more. If no one does, that means the original buyer will offer lower again. So basically the deal with the original buyer is busted once you start renegotiating. You'll never trust each other.


  • Administrators Posts: 53,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec


    That's all well and good but there are many buyers with dry powder on standby, this buyer may be desperate and is why they agreed to a over valued price to lock in a deal in case mortgage approval runs out.

    I would flip the coin and ask yourself do you need to sell? If so, would you be able to stomach selling for >20% less further down the road due to buyers waiting for the market to bottom out.

    If he sells it for 20% less further down the road then he'll also be buying his next house for 20% less. Makes no real difference to him.

    If I was selling right now I'd probably entertain a few percentage points reduction, provided the amount was still sufficient for me to fund my next purchase, but if the seller came in with nonsense like a 15-20% drop I'd laugh and cancel the sale. Delusional stuff.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"


    Bit worried ourselves, approved two weeks ago and have only managed to get one viewing in. Can see all viewings in lockdown now for a few weeks, hopefully the banks extend approval.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv


    awec wrote: »
    If he sells it for 20% less further down the road then he'll also be buying his next house for 20% less. Makes no real difference to him.

    I'm selling and sale agreed 2 weeks. I'm expecting to get a call saying they might want to renegotiate price but as I'm in no hurry I wont be entertaining it. Exactly because of your point above..


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭randoplh134


    klose wrote: »
    Me and my girlfriend have been saving got 12-18 months and are just shy of 30,000 between us and only waiting on a salary cert before we go to talk to banks to get the ball rolling, I assume it's probably a bad time to now? A lot of uncertainty?

    Worst possible time to buy, there will be a huge dip in prices soon.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭randoplh134


    awec wrote: »
    If he sells it for 20% less further down the road then he'll also be buying his next house for 20% less. Makes no real difference to him.

    If I was selling right now I'd probably entertain a few percentage points reduction, provided the amount was still sufficient for me to fund my next purchase, but if the seller came in with nonsense like a 15-20% drop I'd laugh and cancel the sale. Delusional stuff.

    That depends entirely on the type of property said is interested in, will they be upsizing,downsizing etc. Ireland's demographic is changing rapidly and so is it's approach to property development, the next house he has his eye on may well be a scarce commodity within a couple of years.

    It is not delusional at all to expect a 15-20% drop in a market that was already laughably over valued and at the end of it's economic expansion phase, not to mention we are facing a global depression and throw a pandemic in for good measure.

    All of this will be the pin that pops the bubble, anyone expecting prices across all asset sectors to remain steadfast and strong is delusional.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭randoplh134


    jluv wrote: »
    I'm selling and sale agreed 2 weeks. I'm expecting to get a call saying they might want to renegotiate price but as I'm in no hurry I wont be entertaining it. Exactly because of your point above..

    Pretty poor point to base one of your biggest financial decisions on


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv


    Pretty poor point to base one of your biggest financial decisions on

    ? If house prices fall and I get less for my house because of the market, then I will be paying less for the house I will be purchasing..downsizing btw..


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭beggars_bush


    we're going to withdraw from the sale agreed

    too much uncertainty


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy


    Has anyone signed contracts and have 10% over with solicitors?


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy


    ebayissues wrote: »
    As someone who is buying and gone S.A on a house I'm pulling the plug.


    I got an exemption with the bank, with the COV19 and financial markets what to say that they won't honor it.


    IMO I see atleast two quarters of downturn depending on how COV19 impacts the economy and how Ireland and other economies react to it. If it's just 2 quarters, no big isssue. If not, I see a recession. House prices will be 10 - 15% lower. This doesnt mean one might have the credit facility to buy it as banks could be tight with lending money or it could be strictly at the 3.5 rule. So as a single person and on the exemption, I question if I shouldnt let this slip.


    I think 3 - 6months should give an idea of how things are panning out. One can proceed with S.A, take your time on it and hope to know better in June-sep.


    If you think your job is safe and even with a pay cut you can afford repaymants, I'd consider buying now.


    Also economies has cycles. if you're purchasing for the long run, I'd proceed and buy it.

    Surely they can’t NOT honour the exemption? I’m in the same both. We needed an exemption too.


  • Administrators Posts: 53,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec


    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Surely they can’t NOT honour the exemption? I’m in the same both. We needed an exemption too.

    Very unlikely not to honour it IMO.

    I reckon most likely action from banks right now is almost no new approvals for mortgages until they get a clearer picture. People already in the system proceed if they wish.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Mixmistro


    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Has anyone signed contracts and have 10% over with solicitors?

    Yes I have and hoping to get keys this week once drawdown happens. It was delayed last week over a small discrepancy with one document which I hope is sorted now so missed official closing date.


  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Summer2020


    jluv wrote: »
    ? If house prices fall and I get less for my house because of the market, then I will be paying less for the house I will be purchasing..downsizing btw..

    Exact same position as me. Don’t need to sell. If buyer pulls out or tries to renegotiate it doesn’t affect me and I’ll refuse. Could easily live in house for next 10 years. If price for our own house is down when we eventually buy , then our next purchase house will be down equivalent amount.
    If I was in an apartment with 2/3 kids I’d be in a different position and would need to sell obviously.


  • Administrators Posts: 53,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec


    Summer2020 wrote: »
    Exact same position as me. Don’t need to sell. If buyer pulls out or tries to renegotiate it doesn’t affect me and I’ll refuse. Could easily live in house for next 10 years. If price for our own house is down when we eventually buy , then our next purchase house will be down equivalent amount.
    If I was in an apartment with 2/3 kids I’d be in a different position and would need to sell obviously.

    If you were in this boat I think all approaches are risky tbh. Wouldn't envy anyone with this decision to make. You'd have to decide what the greater risk is, losing potential money on your current place or ending up with no place.

    If you sell now in a hurry, you're gambling on the fact that you'll be able to buy again soon. If you sell, and things do go tits up, you may not even get a mortgage again. Plenty got screwed and stuck in the rent system after the last crash.


  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Uglysoik1


    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Has anyone signed contracts and have 10% over with solicitors?

    Yes I have. I was supposed to drawdown last Friday but due to a delay on vendors side didn't happen. Hopefully will close this week though. Fingers crossed


  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT


    My wife & I are buying a new build currently. It's been an extremely long process having signed all the way back in October of 2018.

    Our contractual closing date is the end of April. The house is still being worked on and work is progressing at a good pace. We've a high level of savings, we're down for around 75% LTV, working on getting mortgage protection in place currently. Neither of us have any clue what'll happen. I'm trying to think about it too much and proceeding as normal until an external force calls a halt to it.

    But I find it hard to think past the next 1-2 weeks currently.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Anamdearcadh


    My heart is racing after watching the news. I bought and got my keys on the 6th of February. My house needs renovations. Trying to stay calm as I realise it is not a health issue, my family are fine etc. But now I fear the value of my house plummeting while I am paying back a mortgage by myself and a pay reduction is surely coming.

    Scary, scary times.


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy


    As a question, I said elsewhere that our solicitor has gone AWOL.

    Is it bad form to contact the VENDORS solicitor to get an update?

    We really don’t want to pull out but are nervous of what the banks may/may not do.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim


    My heart is racing after watching the news. I bought and got my keys on the 6th of February. My house needs renovations. Trying to stay calm as I realise it is not a health issue, my family are fine etc. But now I fear the value of my house plummeting while I am paying back a mortgage by myself and a pay reduction is surely coming.

    Scary, scary times.

    wouldn't surprise me if the quotes you get to do this work, start coming down significantly! Hope you haven't locked in with a builder etc yet?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79


    FutureGuy wrote: »
    As a question, I said elsewhere that our solicitor has gone AWOL.

    Is it bad form to contact the VENDORS solicitor to get an update?

    We really don’t want to pull out but are nervous of what the banks may/may not do.

    Contact the estate agent and ask him to get an update from the other side
    Who knows their solicitor may be trying to contact yours too and they could also be freaking out!!!!

    Our estate agent was EXCELLENT in this regard. Both solicitors were painful

    Pm me if you want any more info


  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Anamdearcadh


    Idbatterim wrote: »
    wouldn't surprise me if the quotes you get to do this work, start coming down significantly! Hope you haven't locked in with a builder etc yet?

    No I haven't which I'm grateful for.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Chickpea111


    I have paid a booking deposit. The surveyor was in to survey the property last week but he hasn't been in contact yet. I am strongly considering walking away. I've offered the asking price and my job is safe and pensionable but there is just so much uncertainty right now. Also I am renting and not under any pressure from the landlord and wont be. Not really sure what to do to be honest.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim


    I have paid a booking deposit. The surveyor was in to survey the property last week but he hasn't been in contact yet. I am strongly considering walking away. I've offered the asking price and my job is safe and pensionable but there is just so much uncertainty right now. Also I am renting and not under any pressure from the landlord and wont be. Not really sure what to do to be honest.

    what is the rent like v the mortgage?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11


    I have paid a booking deposit. The surveyor was in to survey the property last week but he hasn't been in contact yet. I am strongly considering walking away. I've offered the asking price and my job is safe and pensionable but there is just so much uncertainty right now. Also I am renting and not under any pressure from the landlord and wont be. Not really sure what to do to be honest.

    Booking deposits are repayable on demand and usually dependent on acceptable surveyors report.


  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79


    Mav11 wrote: »
    Booking deposits are repayable on demand and usually dependent on acceptable surveyors report.

    ?
    They are refundable full stop . Can pull out for whatever reason . Don’t need a report


  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Summer2020


    Agreed. I think it’s all up in the air and there’s no definite answer either way whether buying or selling. It all depends on your own circumstance.i think it’s fair to say though that a lot of sales will fall through for one reason or another now.
    Wouldn’t like to be an estate agent at the minute.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff


    We're likely to hand over a booking deposit in the next few days to a small EA in D15 - part of me worrying what if the EA goes bust in the coming weeks. They have very few properties, and will likely have even less now ! So much uncertainty.


  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109


    What’s the likelihood of the help to buy scheme staying til the end of 2021?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen


    We had all our docs over to the bank the last week in Jan and have been waiting for AIP since.
    Last update was Friday just gone when we were told it’s pretty much done, but need official green light from underwriters which should be Monday (tomorrow).
    Anyone working in that industry and if so, you reckon approvals will be put on the long finger for the foreseeable?


Advertisement