Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol and Work

Options
  • 20-01-2020 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭

The Missus is a shop manager.
    She has an employee, who is useless and turns up drunk every few days.
    She is not permanent but has been there 10 years plus part time.
    She knows she is wrong but also knows she cannot be dismissed as easily as one would assume. My research on the law using HSA and other sources is not conclusive (I am a lay person, I am blindly feeling my way). Surely someone must have been sacked from work from somewhere at some time for being drunk.
    There is no change of her going quietly.
    She is doing my wifes head in. All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I would imagine she will still be entitled to due process. The shop owners will need to engage with their hr/solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on he topic will come along, but IIRC alcohol and drug issues are dealt with as illnesses, and the employer is supposed to assist the employee with seeking help rather than move to dismissal proceedings.

The Missus is a shop manager.
    She has an employee, who is useless and turns up drunk every few days.
    She is not permanent but has been there 10 years plus part time.
    She knows she is wrong but also knows she cannot be dismissed as easily as one would assume. My research on the law using HSA and other sources is not conclusive (I am a lay person, I am blindly feeling my way). Surely someone must have been sacked from work from somewhere at some time for being drunk.
    There is no change of her going quietly.
    She is doing my wifes head in. All help appreciated.

Every company I have ever worked for had a strict policy regarding consumption of alcohol before or during work. A few places had not a 3 but a 2 strike rule. As in do it once, we look the other way. Do it a second time and you are gone.

Many companies, its instant dismissal.

Have your wife consult with HR and the HR policies.

Why has she not started disciplinary procedures with her already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The shop owners will need to engage with their hr/solicitor.

Shop owners dont care. This is a managers problem. The shop is part of a chain.

Why has she not started disciplinary procedures with her already?

Its not an MNC with policies and solicitors on call. Owners are turning a blind eye. Owners turn a blind eye to theft by staff rather than engage a solicitor. The solicitor is viewed as the nuclear option. She has sent her home more times than you have had hot dinners, but not written warnings. My wife demands sick certs.

• Advertisement

I'm sure the chain have a policy on it.

Its not an MNC with policies and solicitors on call. Owners are turning a blind eye. Owners turn a blind eye to theft by staff rather than engage a solicitor. The solicitor is viewed as the nuclear option.

I never suggested getting solicitors involved. However, even a corner shop would have policies on things like theft or alcohol use. In any kind of customer facing role, being drunk onsite would be instant dismissal.

I'm sure the chain have a policy on it.

She is getting no support from the owners. If there was a policy on it, my missus would have sack the useless bints ass years ago. She is getting serious about it now, for some unknown reason.

I never suggested getting solicitors involved. However, even a corner shop would have policies on things like theft or alcohol use. In any kind of customer facing role, being drunk onsite would be instant dismissal.

This woman in question would engage a solicitor. Well this small chain doesn't. Do this in a big chain like Dunnes, Super Valu and Tesco and they have solicitors on call for this type of thing to advise and dispatch. This is a chain where some shops perform and some dont. Margins are thin. It sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JustMe,K wrote: »
    I'm sure someone with more knowledge on he topic will come along, but IIRC alcohol and drug issues are dealt with as illnesses, and the employer is supposed to assist the employee with seeking help rather than move to dismissal proceedings.
    Especially given that the employer has tolerated this behaviour, presumably for a long time, without bringing it to the employee's attention, will not look good on them.

Suddenly deciding to take action on it now could be troublesome if it's not done right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The owners will start caring if she's unfairly dismissed and they have a settlement on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Isn't someone breaching health and safety regulations by being under the influence at work? Eg potential for injury being increased due to impairment. I had an issue years ago (different country mind) where I knew a, guy was going for at pint at lunch. Didn't bother me just customers could smell it. Was told to get rid of him but my issue was it was well known that people were out till 3 or 4 or later in the morning and turning up to work at 8 or 9 nobody batted an eyelid. Those people would've had much more alcohol in them than 1 pint.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    The owners will start caring if she's unfairly dismissed and they have a settlement on their hands.

She is not being dismissed and that is the problem. Then the duty manager is either down necessary staff and/or has to call in extra staff. Tough on a small business.

seamus wrote: »
    Suddenly deciding to take action on it now could be troublesome if it's not done right.

This is why I am here, trying to find the right way to do it.
    She has probably got another 15 years or so work years left, my wife doesnt have that much patience.
    Please no more Shudda, Wudda, Cuddas. We are dealing with the situation as it presents itself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Call a meeting and put the issues to the employee. Agree a course of action which should include getting treatment. Go from there. If the employee turns up drunk again, hold another meeting and see if a verbal warning is warranted. Employee is entitled to a witness. Employer should have a note taker.

Call a meeting and put the issues to the employee. Agree a course of action which should include getting treatment. Go from there. If the employee turns up drunk again, hold another meeting and see if a verbal warning is warranted. Employee is entitled to a witness. Employer should have a note taker.

Alcoholics are incredibly difficult to collar. Its everyone elses fault but theirs and it not really a problem and you are only a wet blanket/dry sh1te etc etc. This is why its really a job for the solicitors. I think an easier solution to the problem is for my wife to change job, she doesnt have the backing of the owners as they dont deal with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Two places I worked had robust policies. Help and support was available for anyone looking for treatment for alcohol or drug issues.

However, it was an immediate disciplinary issue of any employee turned up for work under the influence. Employees suspected were asked to attend the company doctor and provide a sample, failure to supply a sample when asked was also a disciplinary issue.

_Brian wrote: »
    Two places I worked had robust policies. Help and support was available for anyone looking for treatment for alcohol or drug issues.

However, it was an immediate disciplinary issue of any employee turned up for work under the influence. Employees suspected were asked to attend the company doctor and provide a sample, failure to supply a sample when asked was also a disciplinary issue.

Clearly the family company was founded in a hurry and didnt keep up to date with moving HR policies. The real problem is not the alcoholism but the failure of the owners to support management. You know if you did this for any of the big chains is you would get sacked and black listed across the industry. this chain has never, dealt with problems head on because they claim they dont have the resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Alcoholics are incredibly difficult to collar. Its everyone elses fault but theirs and it not really a problem and you are only a wet blanket/dry sh1te etc etc. This is why its really a job for the solicitors. I think an easier solution to the problem is for my wife to change job, she doesnt have the backing of the owners as they dont deal with her.

As an ex retail manager not trying to be smart here but this is part of her job, albeit with support from HR / Legal.

As an ex retail manager not trying to be smart here but this is part of her job, albeit with support from HR / Legal.

There isnt a HR department its a small mom and pop chain with less than 15 shops in the chain. I was on work experience with a large UK electronics consumer chain. The first day I was taken into a room to watch a video. "We dont care if you steal a pin or a 55 inch TV, we will find you and take you to court. Everyone will know about it and you will be sacked. You will never work in the industry or this town again".

That is the way the shop policy should have been from Day 1. Its one of these thing you do expensive on the first day so you dont have to pay for it on the second day. Its the owners fault but its my missus that has to put up with the stress and she doesnt get fat for being a minimum wage manager.

You cant fire anyone without the owners say so. Management ignore the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

AFAIR under the Health & Safety at work regulations, its not only the company but also employees that have a duty to ensure a safe workplace. Employees should not do anything that could cause danger to themselves or anyone else in the workplace and if someone is intoxicated they could injure themselves, cause problems for other employees (OP's wife) or cause an accident. Even if its been happening for years, OP's wife has a right to a safe workplace.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Safety_and_Health_Management/Short_Guide_to_SHWWA_2005.pdf

All my wife can do so far is send her home. Management ignore the problem from lofty heights and give her no power to deal with the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

You don't seem to be willing to take any advice on board OP. Maybe you wife is not on the same wavelength as you as regards the matter? You may sort it between yourselves methinks :)

BarryD2 wrote: »
    You don't seem to be willing to take any advice on board OP. Maybe you wife is not on the same wavelength as you as regards the matter? You may sort it between yourselves methinks :)

We have difficulty communicating with management as she has been with the company for 20 years. The difficulty is getting management to act on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Most self respecting companies will be diplomatic when dealing with someone who has drink/drug problems or mental health issues.

There's a few companies who'll offer their staff a stint in rehab and pay for it if the staff member will go and partake in getting dried out.
    That's only if the company actually cares for the staff member and cares for their own reputation.

Then you have custom and practice, where the staff member can prove they're coming in pissed, management know but they don't do anything about it.
    You're on dangerous ground there, because if it's been going on for years and nothing done about it.
    The law will favour the staff member and if they are sacked then the **** could hit the fan.

I can't give legal advice, my only suggestion is not to put the spotlight on the staff member.
    They could be liable to take it very personal, and make life very difficult for the employers or proprietor.

Im sorry but since when was having 15 shops a "mom and pop" chain?

Theres a lot of mention of the owners not supporting management. Its management. Manage.

Im sorry but since when was having 15 shops a "mom and pop" chain?

Its a "mom and pop" chain because it was a family business, they arent cashing in big time as they are either in high rent sites or next to a lidl or aldi. Some sites are supporting others. I wish she had a different job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

It seems very unlikely that a chain with 15 shops (so presumably at least a couple of hundred staff) has no HR function. Who handles payroll, recruitment etc?

Your wife needs to follow a strategy that will protect the company from a lawsuit.

Next time she has to send her home she should give the woman a formal verbal warning that coming to work drunk is a firable offence. She should email the owners to let them know she has done this.

The following time she needs to give her a formal written warning (will probably need owners support to do this).

Third strike, she's out.

KiKi III wrote: »
    It seems very unlikely that a chain with 15 shops (so presumably at least a couple of hundred staff) has no HR function. Who handles payroll, recruitment etc?

Your wife needs to follow a strategy that will protect the company from a lawsuit.

Next time she has to send her home she should give the woman a formal verbal warning that coming to work drunk is a firable offence. She should email the owners to let them know she has done this.

The following time she needs to give her a formal written warning (will probably need owners support to do this).

Third strike, she's out.

Managers and assistant managers do the hiring. The bosses wife is the accountant and manages that end. They dont have 100's on the pay roll. its just a chain of convenience stores. They dont own stores that they pay high rents for. They have massive pilfering rates and kids opening bottles and leaving them. My wife is the only permanent employee, no pension or medical. Seems like lunacy running yourself into an early grave.

She put this challenge to me today to find a way to fire her. It seems you can only shame a person into leaving. I am going to convince her to apply to Lidl or Aldi next month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Check her contract. Is there a provision for random drug or alcohol tests? If there is, get a doctor in and request urine samples from 5 members of staff including your one. Take it from there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement