Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned about Emirates continuing to fly over Iraq. Is it risky?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My company is banning any travel over Iran and Iraq at the moment. Was planning using emirates to go to Thailand for upcoming work but can’t use them, Qatar or Etihad which is a shame as I’m not platinum in Emirates/Etihad.

Any other ways to go that has a nice aircraft?

You can take your pick of European airlines - BA, KLM, Air France etc etc. check what they are flying, BA is 777-200ER you can check with Seatguru to see what the seating is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Noxegon

My company is banning any travel over Iran and Iraq at the moment. Was planning using emirates to go to Thailand for upcoming work but can’t use them, Qatar or Etihad which is a shame as I’m nearly platinum in Emirates/Etihad.

Any other ways to go that has a nice aircraft?

For Thailand I’d look at Finnair. Their business class tickets to BKK tend to be very cheap.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Apropos of nothing, I just noticed EI-FNG is on the way back from Abu Dhabi. It routed across Saudi and is overhead Cairo at the moment.

If the FR24 times are accurate that’s about an hour longer than transiting Iraq/Iran.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@Noxegon, these days the winds across Saudi are up to 160 knots, so aircraft transiting East to west have very slow ground speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Arrived in Asia via Dubai today having taken two very enjoyable Emirates flights. Looking back on the week or two I wasted worrying incessantly about this makes me feel like a right idiot now. Oh well, that's anxiety for you; a waste of energy for mostly nothing. Thanks to all who replied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

roro1990 wrote: »
    Arrived in Asia via Dubai today having taken two very enjoyable Emirates flights. Looking back on the week or two I wasted worrying incessantly about this makes me feel like a right idiot now. Oh well, that's anxiety for you; a waste of energy for mostly nothing. Thanks to all who replied.

Im doing that exact same route myself in a few weeks. Enjoy your trip!

Advertisement