Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Vs Charmed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Troyaferd

I found Buffy season 7 very mean spirited also.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I found Buffy season 7 very mean spirited also.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

nix wrote: »
    How so?

Just that there's a lot of misery.

Faith is hated. Buffy is hated more though which makes a recovering Faith popular but guess what Faith is no Buffy!! So Buffy is the saviour again by default.

Dawn and Xander are firmly affirmed as nobodies....and it's a bit weird to find out where that relationship goes in the comics.

Angel is brought in for THAT cameo everyone wanted only to be told to sharply **** off. Apparently Buffy doesn't see the potential in an avengers type initiative.

And finally the whole Caleb arc, while I love Fillon, is plugging a hole with an anti religious angle to cover an utterly crap final big bad.

It's really hard to find much joy in that final season and SMG's disinterest makes it no easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Just that there's a lot of misery.

Faith is hated. Buffy is hated more though which makes a recovering Faith popular but guess what Faith is no Buffy!! So Buffy is the saviour again by default.

Dawn and Xander are firmly affirmed as nobodies....and it's a bit weird to find out where that relationship goes in the comics.

Angel is brought in for THAT cameo everyone wanted only to be told to sharply **** off. Apparently Buffy doesn't see the potential in an avengers type initiative.

And finally the whole Caleb arc, while I love Fillon, is plugging a hole with an anti religious angle to cover an utterly crap final big bad.

It's really hard to find much joy in that final season and SMG's disinterest makes it no easier.

Yeah i feel the introduction of all those annoying initiates squandered the "potential" of a lot of the usually great characters.

I didnt mind the first evil though, in fact i thought it was the perfect choice to go, it was never actually defeated when it first showed itself back in season 3, it could take on the guise of anybody dead, so great to squeeze in any fallen cameos.. It also let the big bad be constantly interacting and taunting the gang and not just a boring super beast plotting from a lair for 20+ episodes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Speaking of the big bads, who did people think was the best villain? My favourite was the Mayor, followed by Angel. Those would be my two favourite seasons.

Least favourite would be Dark Willow. Hated that whole storyline. Adam was a damp squib in the end too. Didn't like Glory but she did come across as a threat.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Speaking of the big bads, who did people think was the best villain? My favourite was the Mayor, followed by Angel. Those would be my two favourite seasons.

Least favourite would be Dark Willow. Hated that whole storyline. Adam was a damp squib in the end too. Didn't like Glory but she did come across as a threat.

The Mayor, definitely. Great witty character.

But the Master in Season One had some great lines.

Worst villain - Adam. Or was the villain there really Maggie?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah the Mayor, faith was a great sub-villain that year. The final fight between herself and Buffy was fantastic for a pg-13 show.
    Wasn't mad on evil Angel in Season 2 except the final showdown was awesome,
    There is however no contest for best villain, it's Spike.

If the show was made today then The Master would have been a multi season villain, but because of the uncertainty around a 2nd season they offed him.

The show was at its best when the villains were vampires so The Master, Angelus, Spike and Drusilla all deserve a shout.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Angelus for me but it's very close.

From the turn of Angel right up to where she takes him out it was pretty perfect.

Then they mess things up by bringing him back when his ending was brilliant.

I know, I know there wouldn't have been the spin off without that but is that really the case? I'd have preferred the two going their own way after season 2, the return and subsequent 'will they won't they' felt a bit flat to me tbh.

To answer the OP's question it's always Buffy as the correct answer and it was never close.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I love how this has turned into a Buffy appreciation thread :)

Evil Angel FTW. Season 2 was goddamn perfect.

Also gonna start Veronica Mars from the mentions on here.

• Advertisement

Gotta say I can't class Spike as a villain. In season 5 alone the man is so loveable.

I think Drusilla takes precedence over him anyway if we're talking about true villains.

Gotta say I can't class Spike as a villain. In season 5 alone the man is so loveable.

I think Drusilla takes precedence over him anyway if we're talking about true villains.

They where both great in Season 2.

and I really liked Spike and also Drusilla as villains in Season 2.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Also gonna start Veronica Mars from the mentions on here.

It`s a really enjoyable series.

Season 2 had the best Big Bads.

Troyaferd wrote: »
    Season 2 had the best Big Bads.

Trifecta of Angelus, Drusilla and Spike is indeed hard to beat. I'd rank them as number 1, while forlornly wishing we got the reality of the season 3 episode Doppelganger where the Master reigned supreme.

Edit i think that episode was in fact called the wish.

I re-watched that episode only yesterday. Great episode.

AulWan wrote: »
    I re-watched that episode only yesterday. Great episode.

One of my own favourites as well! Season 3 was possibly the most enjoyable for me due to the scooby gang drama. The Zeppo is another classic episode for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I actually thought the episode where Buffys mom died was one of the best. Really got you in the feels. Very good just good auld human being episode.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Trifecta of Angelus, Drusilla and Spike is indeed hard to beat. I'd rank them as number 1, while forlornly wishing we got the reality of the season 3 episode Doppelganger where the Master reigned supreme.

Goddamn how cool was vamp willow!!

source.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I miss watching Buffy and Angel. I have the boxsets but no DVD player. Where is everyone watching good quality versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I have everything on DVD, I used to have Buffy on videotape. Can watch it via the PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I have everything on DVD, I used to have Buffy on videotape. Can watch it via the PS4

Got rid of the XBox unfortunately so I'm stuck.

I have them saved on a hard drive in AVI format.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

AulWan wrote: »
    I have them saved on a hard drive in AVI format.

This thread has made me start rewatching them on Prime Video.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Buffy obviously wins hands down.

I did like Charmed but found it more fluff watching than anything. I think the key difference for me is that in Charmed they were always seeming to chase the idea that having a boyfriend/husband & kids was the ideal and the ultimate goal whereas in Buffy it was very much about self-empowerment and understanding who you were as a person(/vampire). There were romances which were good to watch but they didn't necessarily define a character.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Stop bumping the thread, Troyaferd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

I miss watching Buffy and Angel. I have the boxsets but no DVD player. Where is everyone watching good quality versions?

Re watching last few seasons (up to 'Conversations with dead people" last night) - they are on Amazon Prime.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement