Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Drinkers are then of course also responsible for all the deaths caused by it, drunk driving etc.

And a lot of those killed werent involved in criminal gangs, innocent passengers or drivers in other cars.

Cocaine is bad for you and super addictive so that should be enough to put you off but this whole thing is a reach put out by clueless cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

akelly02 wrote: »
    Bita Coke to keep ya awake for the mcgregor fight

I bet that's why the cops shut down a few functions tonight:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd say the construction sector dwarfs the banking sector these days in coke use and it seems to more GAA than rugby 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

The cocaine is so **** in ireland and probably 20% of the real thing in an actual bag like a pp said.

Id be more worried about the likes of people taking ecstasy and MDMA, that's where the real danger lies. Not to mention how messed up it makes you and the way you look when you take too much. And the comedown/skag will literally physically drain your body the next day or two are completely wrote off.

Cocaine is different, you can happily get up the next day and feel energized, your taste buds are fine, your head is not melted.

Did e for years. Worst next day feeling i ever had was from drink. Skagged you can just smoke a j and feel grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Do people that buy diamonds have blood on their hands?

Are people that buy clothes from Penneys responsible for sweat shops?

If you drink non fair trade coffee do you participate in slavery?

Are people that buy apple products guilty of violating human rights?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Do people that buy diamonds have blood on their hands?

Are people that buy clothes from Penneys responsible for sweat shops?

If you drink non fair trade coffee do you participate in slavery?

Are people that buy apple products guilty violators of human rights?
    Aye, it's hard to be completely ethical.

As mentioned, the types who are all about the ethical sourcing of things and then hoover a hill of coke up their snouts at weekends are hilarious.

There is some difference though - the things you mention are still jobs in their communities. Jobs with awful, immoral conditions but the folk need them - this has been said by development workers. An improvement in their work conditions is what is needed.

With cocaine though, it is a potentially harmful substance (and I know alcohol is too), it can have terrible effects on behaviour (again, alcohol - same) and look at the surge in violence and criminal activity. So I see your point, but I don't think it's totally comparing like with like.

I'm of the opinion it should be decriminalised/legalised to try and regulate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Aye, it's hard to be completely ethical.

As mentioned, the types who are all about the ethical sourcing of things and then hoover a hill of coke up their snouts at weekends are hilarious.

There is some difference though - the things you mention are still jobs in their communities. Jobs with awful, immoral conditions but the folk need them - this has been said by development workers. An improvement in their work conditions is what is needed.

With cocaine though, it is a potentially harmful substance (and I know alcohol is too), it can have terrible effects on behaviour (again, alcohol - same) and look at the surge in violence and criminal activity. So I see your point, but I don't think it's totally comparing like with like.

I'm of the opinion it should be decriminalised/legalised to try and regulate it.

Fair point and a good insight into it. I think it's more to do with the patronising outlook on those who do coke, and with ethical sourcing in mind, we're all just hypocrites really. Especially the convenient ignoring for a convenient life.

If we (not just Ireland of course) were to boycott products made in foreign lands with terrible working conditions you could also be sure said companies would shape up in that regard as well.

Then also if the goings-on in some of these factories were on Irish shores I'm sure we would see a boycott on those products made in those factories too. But out of sight out of mind, kind of like the drug trade really.

The solution of decriminalisation is staring us in the face.

To be fair, the production of cocaine is often in countries where the poor have few options for employment, and in some cases, are pushed into it's preparation prior to exportation.

The point remains that it's extremely difficult to be ethical about one and not be about the other... which is why I find those talking about hypocrisy are often displaying it themselves.

Whereas those who acknowledge that there's little to be done, and accept that it really doesn't matter where it comes from, are being more honest.

Agreed. It's not the perfect solution but it means safer sources for users, and diminishes the income for criminals. It would depend on whether the government would tax it to pieces like they've done with cigarettes, which would negate most benefits from the change. It also means a revenue that can be used to increase research and development to mitigate the risks within the drug and reduce dependencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Id be more worried about the likes of people taking ecstasy and MDMA, that's where the real danger lies. Not to mention how messed up it makes you and the way you look when you take too much. And the comedown/skag will literally physically drain your body the next day or two are completely wrote off.

Id me more worried about he likes of people drinking alcohol, that's where the real danger lies. Not to mention how messed up it makes you and the way you look when you drink too much. And the hangover will literally physically drain your body the next day or tow are completely wrote off.

Also, my experience of MDMA/ecstasy is far, far better than alcohol. But it still comes with the same caveat, you need to know how much to take. In my heyday, the most I would take in a night was 3 "yokes". There were people doing 20+ in the same time and I never understood it, and I'd imagine they're the ones you're referring to. And in fairness, you can't help the gurning at times! But, and maybe I'm blessed, while others were dying the next day, I'd wake up and eat a fry and be grand, compared to alcohol making a mess of me for up to 2 days with depression and feeling sick.
    I'd say the construction sector dwarfs the banking sector these days in coke use and it seems to more GAA than rugby ��

I'd imagine the medical sector is giving them a run for their money!
    There is some difference though - the things you mention are still jobs in their communities.

As klaz has mentioned, growing the coca plant is the most lucrative business for poor farmers. The government has tried to get them to grow other crops, but when it's a choice between feeding your family due to coca plants or staving due to smaller sales of legal crops, many pick the coca plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Absolutely, but the sad reality is they don't give a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Follow Thai style law, build a few more jails with basic indecent facilities, arm the guards. Mandatory and immediate death penalty for any kind of dealer, minimum 5 year sentence for possession, that will sort 90 % of the issue(s)

As for blood on hands, your probably wearing clothing made somewhere hot,no doubt many a child has suffered and even died, so guilty as charged there eh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

There are very few supply chains that aren't corrupt as ****.

MDMA is far healthier than cocaine and alcohol.

Legalisation and regulation of these substances is the only way power can be taken from the hands of the criminals here in Ireland. Saying that, our climate cannot support the production of these drugs, so we will still be reliant on shady supply chains in South America, where blood is spilled like water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Follow Thai style law, build a few more jails with basic indecent facilities, arm the guards. Mandatory and immediate death penalty for any kind of dealer, minimum 5 year sentence for possession, that will sort 90 % of the issue(s)

Well mass murder is one way to remove the problem, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Well mass murder is one way to remove the problem, I suppose.

Live by the sword, die by the sword or firing squad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

So if i got 2 bags and gave one to my friend, id be put to death for dealing.

Good stuff

They'd have to give you some payment for it to be a deal. I would think.

Nope, under Irish Legislation just handing someone a joint for a puff is considered dealing, or legally 'Sale or Supply'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A lot of whataboutery and deflection.

Most people dabbled in their student years, but guess what, they grew up.
    There's a post uni generation here that refuses to grow up.

Define 'grow up' for me. I've always wondered what exactly one needs to do to be considered grown up. Genuine question.

My intent is to die as young as possible as late as possible.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd say alot of these people never went to Uni. I've been out and seen lads in their 40s/50s taking coke in the toilets very openly. It's quite disgusting. This is a large part of "Irishness" that I don't like. We were known as a culture that was "addicted" to alcohol. Now that there are more laws etc around alcohol, people are moving to the next thing.

Unfortunately there is a combination of well educated and less educated people involved in drug taking. Some eventually cop on, others feel if you're not joining them, then there's something wrong with you.

Well, here's the thing, and I think it's similar to many people of my age group. Early 40s.

I played around with drugs in University, and during my mid-20s. I dabbled with party drugs, and avoided anything to do with needles. Played with all manner of pills, powders, and whatever could be smoked or eaten. Grew to love cannabis, shrooms, and LSD. As for alcohol, I never particularly enjoyed being drunk, and pretty much stopped drinking much, because everything I've ever done that I regretted happened while I was under 'that' influence. I've also a particular fear of becoming an alcoholic from seeing others while I was growing up.

Then, the demands of real life took over as the requirement to build a career became more important, and the need to avoid anything that hampered that. For the most part, stopped most drug use, except for cannabis on extended holidays, where I could manage the downtime before going back to work.

I'm older now, and I've no interest in the vast majority of drugs. Been there, done that. I still partake of cannabis sometimes (I'd say 6-8 times a year for a single day period), and will do a yearly LSD/Shroom trip because it helps to put my life in general into focus.

[I could also smoke cannabis more often because it helps with my shaking disorder, but I can't afford the downtime, and laziness that tends to go with it. Some people can smoke and be productive.. but I'm not one of them]

Drugs are one of those topics that people seem to make blanket statements about. I know a wide variety of people who take drugs. Some are "slight" wasters (wasting time, and opportunities), but the vast majority are people with good jobs, nice houses, and a sensible approach to living. But then most of the people I know nowadays are expats and haven't stayed in their original home countries much.
    antodeco wrote: »
    I'd say alot of these people never went to Uni. I've been out and seen lads in their 40s/50s taking coke in the toilets very openly. It's quite disgusting. This is a large part of "Irishness" that I don't like. We were known as a culture that was "addicted" to alcohol. Now that there are more laws etc around alcohol, people are moving to the next thing.

The only people I know who take coke regularly in Ireland, are all professionals in accounting or finance. They're all driven about their careers, and make the claim of needing a boost... I'm not a fan of coke myself, and consider it a liability for working professionally..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Cocaine is so overrated. MDMA or whizz is where is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Well if you are gob****e enough to risk taking some substance Whacker has diluted to10 per cent you deserve what you get. You will be so cool down in the City Morgue

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

So if i got 2 bags and gave one to my friend, id be put to death for dealing.

Good stuff

Gave it to him : no
    Sold it to him : yes

Rikand wrote: »
    Gave it to him : no
    Sold it to him : yes

What if you gave him a fiddy bag and he gave you a game instead of money? You're ok with the supply but not the sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

The cocaine is so **** in ireland and probably 20% of the real thing in an actual bag like a pp said.

Cocaine is different, you can happily get up the next day and feel energized, your taste buds are fine, your head is not melted.

Clean/pure MDMA is one of the safest recreational drugs you can consume, your opinions on it are definitely based off of people abusing it. If you do a tiny bit of research to learn about doing it safely and take an actual normal dose of clean MDMA there's virtually no danger at all. You just need to keep hydrated and take breaks to cool down a bit once in a while if in a club that's hot. Do this and you'll have very little/no comedown the next day. It's people who keep dabbing throughout the night or take excessive amounts of pills that feel mangled, less really is more with it. Also it shouldn't be consumed regularly, you're supposed to take a couple of months or more in between, when you regularly consume it is when you get awful comedowns and effects because you're not allowing enough time for your serotonin to replenish. Do everything in moderation and responsibly and you'll always be fine

It's actually sad how much misinformation there is surrounding MDMA use, there really should be more awareness raised on it with actual facts to help people know how to do it right. Too many idiots going through 1g+ or multiple pills which are often 200mg+ in a night thinking they're hard men. I guarantee if you took just 1 good quality pill in two halves, so your dosage would be ~120-140mg x2, you would have a great night and be perfectly fine the next day, probably even have a nice afterglow. Don't mix alcohol with it as well by the way, it's okay to have just a couple of drinks beforehand but water all the way afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I used to do Mdma in the early to mid 90's every Fri and/or Sat night. Few pills. Come down was grand with a few joints. Even without it never bothered me.

I used to do Mdma in the early to mid 90's every Fri and/or Sat night. Few pills. Come down was grand with a few joints. Even without it never bothered me.

Every week consistently? Would you say you done it weekly for months on end? Your poor serotonin receptors haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Arrival wrote: »
    Every week consistently? Would you say you done it weekly for months on end? Your poor serotonin receptors haha

Yep. For about three years. Mostly one night but sometimes, depending on the DJ's, I'd do both Fri and Sat. Some of the best days of my life.

As for blood on hands, your probably wearing clothing made somewhere hot,no doubt many a child has suffered and even died, so guilty as charged there eh

Are you stupid?

• Advertisement

Arrival wrote: »
    Are you stupid?

He's probably correct about the Thai attitude working to cut out drugs in the short term. Since most drugs are imported by water, the risks of being caught and killed would deter many suppliers. It's not like Thailand where their borders are connected with countries that produce drugs in large quantities. In the long term, drug importation would return because there are people here with the money to cover the increased costs of importing in spite of the risks.

However, it's a measure that would never be tolerated in Ireland. So.. naive rather than stupid (if he was serious in suggesting it)

As for being responsible for the clothes.. it's just a matter of selective morality.

Advertisement