Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Alcohol, along with Benzodiazepines, are the two worst substances to withdraw from and can be fatal if not done under supervision in a residential treatment centre. Cocaine withdrawal is uncomfortable but not fatal. Small number of deaths with cold turkey opiate withdrawal as a result of dehydration due to vomiting and diarrhoea.

Of above, I would say there are more people with alcohol dependancy than any of the others (maybe not benzos). I honestly believe the articles I've read (can't remember where) saying if alcohol were only discovered today it would be a Class A drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

A question for those in favour of legalization: what do you think of pregnant women doing the legalized drugs under your preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

tuxy wrote: »
    How sure am I that most of the people that used head shop would have preferred the more well documented and researched mainstream drugs?
    I'm fairly sure. However there were a small minority that loved drugs like mephedrone from these shops.

Absolutely. There was a time where going to the headshop after a few pints in the pub was the norm. Easier than having to arrange coke or whatever drug. A few of my friends have lasting side effects from that time, anxiety attacks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

bubblypop wrote: »
    If the government were to legalise cocaine, maybe some other drugs, who exactly would sell it?
    Where would the sellers buy it?
    Would there be quotas of how much people could buy?
    What's to stop dealers from other countries coming here & buying in bulk?

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible when it is illegal globally.
    The shift in drug legislation would need to be an effort from many countries cooperating.

Cocaine could be sold with the same kind of supply as coffee only with the sale to consumers age restricted.
    fash wrote: »
    A question for those in favour of legalization: what do you think of pregnant women doing the legalized drugs under your preference?

The idea of that disgusts me as much as a pregnant woman drinking alcohol. Why do you ask?

two strawman prove my point, and we're done here. Good night.

Eh, does this refer to me? I'm only speaking of my own experience and said as much.

• Advertisement

The same as I think of a pregnant woman drinking or smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Brilliant. Love the idea.

Eh, does this refer to me? I'm only speaking of my own experience and said as much.

I'd ignore him, he can't even acknowledge that the head shops sold unscheduled drugs and that drugs scheduling is a result of prohibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Absolutely. There was a time where going to the headshop after a few pints in the pub was the norm. Easier than having to arrange coke or whatever drug. A few of my friends have lasting side effects from that time, anxiety attacks etc.

I didn't realise this. Naively I thought the headshops were selling comparatively harmless stuff and were threatened out of business by heavy duty drug dealers. Sounds like the heavy duty drug dealers for once did society a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I have been in rehab for booze and I found the other patients who were in for coke addiction sound. Sounder than the alcies, some of who were utter tossers to be frank. (takes one to know one, lol). Now granted, I wasn't seeing them under the influence of the stuff but the stereotype of the out-of-control monster isn't necessarily true. I have never had any interest in cocaine, I always feared it due to my addictive personality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Would you like to expand on your fancy words?

They form a phrase commonly used as a pejorative to criticize the use of clever, but unsound reasoning, especially in relation to moral questions. So go figure.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I didn't realise this. Naively I thought the headshops were selling comparatively harmless stuff and were threatened out of business by heavy duty drug dealers. Sounds like the heavy duty drug dealers for once did society a favour.

It was more the change in law that put headshops out of business afaik. Weirdly, they had only made magic mushrooms illegal a few years before the headshop drugs rose to prominence. The law of the land was slower to catch up to the more harmful drugs than they were to a naturally occurring mushroom.

Its as if they were trying to get rid of a certain class of people or at least start them on the road to heroin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I've heard anyone who takes cocaine and says it's a strong cup of coffee is taking 20% coke and 80% ****e (lidocaine, prilocaine).

There was a girl I knew in a PLC class that claimed to be immune from addiction. She took cocaine, benzos, etc... and thought they were mild. Then she went to South America on a backpacking expidition and took some pure coke there. She quickly got hooked.

Came back, got addicted to strong stimulants as the coke here was ****e and lost her job.

tdf7187 wrote: »

What they sold was anything that was unscheduled by law.
    So some obscured things. Synthetic cannabinoids were popular but these were often more potent and induced more anxiety than regular weed.
    There were also lots of stimulants, similar to speed but with the chemical structure changed enough to make them legal. Also substances that tried to mimic LSD, again just changed enough to make them legal.

Some of the drugs were more potent than the illegal ones and some less so but many had worse side effects. And Some of them were actually fairly harmless and others were very dangerous and because of how new these substances were the user had less understanding of what they were taking.
    Unfortunately the main goal with these head shop drugs was to make them legal, the safety of the user was a lesser concern.

Now there is a blanket ban on all psychoactive substances so people have gone back to the drugs they know best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've heard anyone who takes cocaine and says it's a strong cup of coffee is taking 20% coke and 80% ****e (lidocaine, prilocaine).

There was a girl I knew in a PLC class that claimed to be immune from addiction. She took cocaine, benzos, etc... and thought they were mild. Then she went to South America on a backpacking expidition and took some pure coke there. She quickly got hooked.

Came back, got addicted to strong stimulants as the coke here was ****e and lost her job.

You hear the strangest bits and bobs don't you? And as for all these characters you seem to have known...……..

I've never heard of Cocaine being described as a strong cup of coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Big brain strawman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Very addictive.

Not worth it the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very addictive.

Not worth it the next day.

That’s a contradiction

• Registered Users Posts: 85,663 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The age of ones on it gets younger and younger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The cocaine is so **** in ireland and probably 20% of the real thing in an actual bag like a pp said.

Id be more worried about the likes of people taking ecstasy and MDMA, that's where the real danger lies. Not to mention how messed up it makes you and the way you look when you take too much. And the comedown/skag will literally physically drain your body the next day or two are completely wrote off.

Cocaine is different, you can happily get up the next day and feel energized, your taste buds are fine, your head is not melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Cody montana

That’s a contradiction

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Imo MDMA is pretty benign compared to cocaine when you consider the effects on behaviour, the potential for addiction and the links to criminality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Is this actually a thing. I must be off in my own land

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well it is funding crime, so one can't take cocaine and pretend they have no responsibility to society when it comes to these drug gangs and the actions they take. It is not nice for a person who takes cocaine to think this, but they are driving the demand and the demand leads to very serious criminal acts to be committed by the gangs.

This is a very circular conversation. A bit like how it feels to chat on coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Imo MDMA is pretty benign compared to cocaine when you consider the effects on behaviour, the potential for addiction and the links to criminality.

E you go home deflated when it runs out

The other **** you would step over your mother to top up

Nasty little drug

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This is a very circular conversation. A bit like how it feels to chat on coke.

The poll had been interesting though, since it's been relatively stable at between 2 and 3 to 1 agreeing with the Garda that uses are at least partially responsible for the horrific violence we are seeing. The level against has actually surprised me since I can see just how prevalent coke use is in the country - it wouldn't surprise me if over 50% of 20-35 year olds (the main demographic here, although that had been getting older too) have at least had a small sniff.

That said there are clearly a few users who enjoy coke that have posted on the thread and do not accept that they are participating and driving the chaos. I guess their good time matters more...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Bita Coke to keep ya awake for the mcgregor fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The use of crack cocaine in Ireland is increasing particularly in the regional cities. It is far more addictive than the powdered form therefore leading to habitual usage rather than occasional.

Advertisement