Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vendor had a list of engineers that they “don't want used”

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We are now allowed to have our engineer complete the survey.

However, this whole situation has us spooked. I have still instructed the solicitor to ask the vendors why this happened.

Reading this earlier, I was thinking about why the owner wanted this, and what difference it could make, who you got. But op, considering either the owner of the EA will have to let you in to do the survey, are they saying this particular engineer will not be permitted to enter the property?

You will need to check, you might have booked the survey for Tuesday, but if he isn’t allowed in, there will be no survey. Telling the vendor you are walking away if they don’t allow it will be meaningless, they have told you they will not negotiate with you, if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

A new one for ye. Sale agreed in late December. We have an engineer that is renowned for being thorough.

EA just informed us that the vendors have a list of engineers that they don’t want to carry out the survey.

Our guy is on that list so it’s unlikely they will want him to do the survey and they may now pull out.

Comments?

Ask your engineer if he has already surveyed the house , which quite possible if the house has been on market for over a year . Could be previous sale fell through because of his survey, and that is why he is on the black list. Ask him if that is the case, maybe you could pay him for sight of previous survey?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Make sure you tell your engineer about this. If he is as good as you say he's going to be very thorough anyway but no harm tipping him off that they are potentially trying to hide something from him (or her). Will make him doubly triply extra super thorough!!
    Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Matinclunn

Had a house for sale myself, interested party booked a local engineer to do the survey. He entered the attic space by ladder and put his foot through the ceiling causing hundreds of euros of damage. On his way out while carrying a step ladder he put it through the front door window, an absolute joke, still waiting to be paid for damages, needless to say I have refused to allow this surveyor back into my property. Any other interested buyers can get any engineer in the country, but this individual will not be allowed back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A new one for ye. Sale agreed in late December. We have an engineer that is renowned for being thorough.

EA just informed us that the vendors have a list of engineers that they don’t want to carry out the survey.

Our guy is on that list so it’s unlikely they will want him to do the survey and they may now pull out.

Comments?

That's odd. I wouldn't be happy with that. At all. There would want to be some strong justification for the seller to limit your freedom to solicit professional advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ebayissues

From a buyers perspective, what if the sellers say you can't be present during the surveyor process?

Is this a flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

ebayissues wrote: »
    From a buyers perspective, what if the sellers say you can't be present during the surveyor process?

Is this a flag?

Would be to me
    Surveyor is working for buyer. Not some impartial intermediary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Matinclunn wrote: »
    Had a house for sale myself, interested party booked a local engineer to do the survey. He entered the attic space by ladder and put his foot through the ceiling causing hundreds of euros of damage. On his way out while carrying a step ladder he put it through the front door window, an absolute joke, still waiting to be paid for damages, needless to say I have refused to allow this surveyor back into my property. Any other interested buyers can get any engineer in the country, but this individual will not be allowed back in.

And that is a valid reason, which I'm sure you would inform your EA and prospective buyer about. However, in this situation, there is a list of a couple of engineers who the vendor doesn't want in their house and they won't provide a reason for this, so it's a massive red flag and if I was in the OP's shoes I'd be running away as fast as I could from the sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

Is this a flag?

I wouldn't see the issue with this. If you need another viewing then you should request it. In theory there is no need for the purchaser to accompany the surveyor, what would be the reason for wanting to attend?

Doop wrote: »
    I wouldn't see the issue with this. If you need another viewing then you should request it. In theory there is no need for the purchaser to accompany the surveyor, what would be the reason for wanting to attend?

Well for a fact, I can speak with the surveyor right in front of me about any concerns.

Obviously I'd like surveyor to do his thing but I'd like to speak directly with him at the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Well for a fact, I can speak with the surveyor right in front of me about any concerns.

Obviously I'd like surveyor to do his thing but I'd like to speak directly with him at the property.

I've had a few surveys done and never met the surveyor on the site. I spoke with them before hand of any concerns I saw with my viewings, and then let them do their job. Afterwards Id get a verbal report, with written report soon after.

In fact, my surveyor rang me about the case I had where there was major issues, and said if I didnt want a written report, it would save me money. Decided to get the report anyway, and it was a 48 page read on why not to get that house I viewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

I understand where you are coming from, but speaking from experience its a lot easier for the surveyor to a full, proper, and thorough survey without someone standing over them asking them questions.

However that said it shouldn't really make any odds to the vendor other than maybe they don't want teams of people trudging around their (occupied) house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Matinclunn wrote: »

I can't be the only one who picture Mr. Bean as the surveyor in this scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most surveyors / engineers don't want the client present / don't want a distraction when doing the survey.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is this a flag?

its actually much, much preferable from the engineers point of view.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Currently on site with our preferred engineer. Three hours in and thorough as you’d want.

He’s calling me in periodically to go through initial findings so I can get a sense of the report when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Currently on site with our preferred engineer. Three hours in and thorough as you’d want.

Had they any idea why they were on the banned list?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Had they any idea why they were on the banned list?

None, nor will I.

From what I have heard, there is a much higher percentage of house sales falling through after he has issued the report. That’s exactly I want to hear. He’s clearly catching things others are not.

None, nor will I.

From what I have heard, there is a much higher percentage of house sales falling through after he has issued the report. That’s exactly I want to hear. He’s clearly catching things others are not.

He must be good

Or he's overly risk averse.

Some lads like to stick down catch alls like.....cracks MAY be due to shrinkage or subsidence

People run a mile from it die to "subsidence" and there's no evidence of same

• Advertisement

Have also seen serious radon barrier issues on surveys on houses built before radon membrane.

Advertisement