Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Confused buyers being rushed into EVs

Options
  • 15-01-2020 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,103 ✭✭✭✭

You guessed it right, that was Toyota Ireland's CEO :rolleyes:

We'd be much better off in self charging hybrids. They nearly always run on electricity, you never have to plug them in and they charge themselves.

Linky

As expected pretty much no critical comment from the author of the article, Eddie Cunningham, the main motoring journo of the Independent.

Comments

unkel wrote: »
    You guessed it right, that was Toyota Ireland's CEO :rolleyes:

We'd be much better off in self charging hybrids. They nearly always run on electricity, you never have to plug them in and they charge themselves.

Linky

As expected pretty much no critical comment from the author of the article, Eddie Cunningham, the main motoring journo of the Independent.

Has Eddie ever given a new car a bad review?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

He cites Norway as being 'right' for EVs. But unlike Norway, where 95pc of electricity comes from hydro power, Mr Tormey argues: "You could claim that in Ireland we are forcing people to use dirty power (from coal) to drive an EV."

Yes,you could claim that.You'd be wrong though.And where exactly does the power that Toyota hybrids use come from,and how clean is it?Questions which Mr Tormey wasn't asked.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

.And where exactly does the power that Toyota hybrids use come from.

Emmm... Not coal. <Phew, dodged that bullet>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,564 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd say that most EV purchasers have done their homework and know what they are getting into.

He is right about EVs not being suitable for a lot of rural people.

He is the CEO of Toyota Ireland so it's not exactly some conspiracy. What would you expect him to say?

As for Eddie Cunningham -
    I don't read the Independent but most cars are pretty good in one way or another nowadays. There are very few bad cars.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

elperello wrote: »

I dont understand the EV's arent for rural people, Plenty of space for home chargers, might even have them inside in a garage.

Esp with the higher capacity batteries getting 300-400km (dublin to malin head is less that 300k)

Once more evs get out and about, opinions will change.

My father is very open to getting one, when they come out with a passat sized one (got to be able to hold all the golf gear for both my parents!) id4 could be a runner

• Advertisement

graememk wrote: »
    I dont understand the EV's arent for rural people, Plenty of space for home chargers, might even have them inside in a garage.

Esp with the higher capacity batteries getting 300-400km (dublin to malin head is less that 300k)

Once more evs get out and about, opinions will change.

My father is very open to getting one, when they come out with a passat sized one (got to be able to hold all the golf gear for both my parents!) id4 could be a runner

They are suitable for some ie. commuting into town for work etc.

Your point about the chargers is on the money.

The towbar is a big issue for many in rural areas.

The Passat type EV will be a game changer for many like your father if the price is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I know several people who are planning to get an EV as their next car. The 'self-charging' hybrid is really two engines using petrol for driving and to recharge their batteries not really a great solution.

Better a plug-in or pure EV if the range is suitable. Anyone for LPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

unkel wrote: »

Comments from Toyota are what we've come to expect. In fairness to Eddie, he's pretty balanced when it comes to EVs, and he does know as much as can be expected from someone who (I assume) normally drives some sort of fossil car. He did leave this little barb in:
    As you would expect from the chief executive of a company with an overwhelmingly hybrid new-car portfolio, he is advocating much wider use of hybrids.

Totally not impressed with this though:
    He takes a different tack. "Because we're not renewable like Norway, the ESB has worked out that when you are charging your EV in Ireland emissions come to 70 grammes every kilometre." (A Prius hybrid emits 75g+). He feels it was too soon to announce the sweeping plans.

First of all: bullsh1t, we have plenty of renewables. It's a percentage thing, not a binary option, so the Norwegians may be "more renewable" than us, but we're not doing too badly, and getting better all the time. Secondly, I don't need to explain to people on this forum the necessity of comparing like with like when it comes to tailpipe-only versus well-to-wheel emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

He's not far off on the CO2 intensity of current electricity production.

https://www.seai.ie/publications/Energy-in-Ireland-2019-.pdf

But people aren't replacing Priuses with Teslas, are they? They're replacing large engined luxury cars.

And if Teslas weren't available, they still wouldn't buy Priuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Why are EV's not suitable for rural people? It's not as if we live in the outback and 100's of km's from the nearest civilisation in Ireland. I find the opposite, EV's are perfect for many rural dwellers as we hit the sweet spot for fuel savings racking up big milage for our commute to work each week, I do 135kms a week just to do the shopping!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

krissovo wrote: »
    Why are EV's not suitable for rural people? It's not as if we live in the outback and 100's of km's from the nearest civilisation in Ireland. I find the opposite, EV's are perfect for many rural dwellers as we hit the sweet spot for fuel savings racking up big milage for our commute to work each week, I do 135kms a week just to do the shopping!

We probably need to kick start that rural electrification project, nevermind electric cars, we have these things called light bulbs, they are brilliant and will save you loads on candles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

liamog wrote: »
    We probably need to kick start that rural electrification project, nevermind electric cars, we have these things called light bulbs, they are brilliant and will save you loads on candles.

Don't tell the city dwellers, but I have gigabit broadband. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Lumen wrote: »
    He's not far off on the CO2 intensity of current electricity production.

According to the report you shared it's 375 gCO2/kWh.
    Ioniq is rated at 13.8 kWh/100 km according to WLTP, which is 51.75g/km. A Corrola hybrid emit's 76g/km. He's got the figure dead on for an efficent Toyota, and probably used the figures from an Audi E-Tron for the EV.

No, you don't, printing 1024 pages from the internet at the local city library and bringing them home on your horse and trap doesn't count as gigabit!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

shhh, dont let them know some of us lucky ones have FTTH, won the Eir lottery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

No, you don't, printing 1024 pages from the internet at the local city library and bringing them home on your horse and trap doesn't count as gigabit!

Oh, um yeah. Sorry, that's the truth, mister. :p

krissovo wrote: »

I didn't say they are not suitable for rural people.
    They are suitable for some like yourself.
    For others living in rural areas there is no EV suitable at the moment.

It's not the living in the rural area that's the problem, it's the requirement to tow.
    My father in law lives in a Dublin suburb, he needs to tow a trailer for his building supplies, you can't generalise and now say EVs aren't suitable for suburbs.

It's not the living in the rural area that's the problem, it's the requirement to tow.
    My father in law lives in a Dublin suburb, he needs to tow a trailer for his building supplies, you can't generalise and now say EVs aren't suitable for suburbs.

I am now saying for the third time in this thread that EVs are suitable for some rural dwellers but not for others.

That's not generalising or anti EV it's just a fact.

There are of course many like your father in law who live in the suburbs and need to tow. They have the same problem, there is no EV alternative at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

Has Eddie ever given a new car a bad review?

Toyota would be a big advertiser with the paper, along with the other manufacturers, he ain’t gonna be critical of anything.

• Advertisement

Orebro wrote: »
    Toyota would be a big advertiser with the paper, along with the other manufacturers, he ain’t gonna be critical of anything.

Fair summary.
    Motoring Writers are not usually at the cutting edge of investigative journalism.
    They do what they do and it's entertaining and informative to read but we have to apply our own critical analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They are suitable for some ie. commuting into town for work etc.

Your point about the chargers is on the money.

The towbar is a big issue for many in rural areas.

The Passat type EV will be a game changer for many like your father if the price is right.

The towbar is not as big an issue as you are making out. I'm plenty rural and there are probably less than 15 per cent of neighbors with a towbar or need for one.

You know rural people hire people to get work done too right....

listermint wrote: »
    The towbar is not as big an issue as you are making out. I'm plenty rural and there are probably less than 15 per cent of neighbors with a towbar or need for one.

You know rural people hire people to get work done too right....

I don't have any figures and all I'm saying is that anyone who wants to tow has no realistic EV option at the moment.

They are 100% not going to change now.

That's not a criticism of EVs and I'm sure the situation will change as more EV's come on the market.

You really wouldn't be hiring someone to collect a few bags of feed or take a load to the bring centre if you had a trailer in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't have any figures and all I'm saying is that anyone who wants to tow has no realistic EV option at the moment.

They are 100% not going to change now.

That's not a criticism of EVs and I'm sure the situation will change as more EV's come on the market.

You really wouldn't be hiring someone to collect a few bags of feed or take a load to the bring centre if you had a trailer in the shed.

Everyone in rural Ireland is buying bags of feed and taking loads.?....

Jesus we've an awful lot more farmers than I knew .... ..

listermint wrote: »
    Everyone in rural Ireland is buying bags of feed and taking loads.?....

Jesus we've an awful lot more farmers than I knew .... ..

Small farmers, small holders, big gardens etc.

Saturday morning they will be out in force :)

I am now saying for the third time in this thread that EVs are suitable for some rural dwellers but not for others.

That's not generalising or anti EV it's just a fact.

So basically you reckon that EVs sometimes aren't suitable for use in rural areas, but can't actually provide us a reason beyond towing.
    If the towing requirement is the only reason, then the rural/suburban distinction isn't required.

Your statement should be 'EVs arent suitable for people who need to tow'

So basically you reckon that EVs sometimes aren't suitable for use in rural areas, but can't actually provide us a reason beyond towing.
    If the towing requirement is the only reason, then the rural/suburban distinction isn't required.

Your statement should be 'EVs arent suitable for people who need to tow'

Yes towing is the main reason. Price of course is another. There are a lot of people on low incomes in rural areas whose only means of transport is a car. I'm talking about people who think 2-3k is a lot to spend.

The discussion was in the context of suitability for rural dwellers. (ref. Toyota CEO in link).

My statement is mine and not for you to dictate. By all means make a case for suburban folk if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

EVs aren't suitable for a lot of women, particularly those who need to tow or can't afford a new car.

Not all women, mind. I guess some women will buy them. But we shouldn't be rushing women into buying EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are two issues that are hindering the uptake in EV's.
    1. Cost. Some people never will or can't afford to buy a brand new car. New EVs are too expensive and there aren't enough and too many questions about the viability of affordable second hand one.
    2. The charging network or lack thereof.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

kippy wrote: »
    There are two issues that are hindering the uptake in EV's.
    1. Cost. Some people never will or can't afford to buy a brand new car. New EVs are too expensive and there aren't enough and too many questions about the viability of affordable second hand one.
    2. The charging network or lack thereof.

3. Variety. Yet to see a Passat equivalent. Audi and Jag have big EVs, but falter at point 1 you made

Advertisement