Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ah Brigid Laffan, She's well set up, I'd imagine she's clocked up some pension... been riding on the gravy train to beat all gravy trains for half a lifetime, a Brussels insider

He died in very cold water in January, although it gets to its coldest February/March. The cold water may have been a factor as it can lead to artery spasms in certain cases even if the person is relatively healthy. Something to be aware of. Maybe the wet suit is a wise option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Expunge

I heard O'Connor with some cooking head talking about and eating peppers. It was unlistenable.

With his nasally auld Cark accent, he sounds like an auld wan and this "c'mere to me" style. Jesus, it's appalling.

Then I tried Noozetalk and Bobby Kerr was trying to speak but not very successfully.

National talk radio on Saturday. Do the people who run these stations ever try - I mean really try - to listen to these guys?

It's close to impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Never was a truer post posted.

These shows are gone way off the charts in fchukkery.

You have Ballsy discussing the papers for an hour with a panel and then hauling in

various other luminaries to plug their ‘gig’ and all for a measly €220 k per annum.

Greatest con of the public of all time.

How in fuerks name do they get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

and all for a measly €220 k per annum

I think you'll find it much nearer the 300k mark for 2020 (when Noel's bitch eventually releases the figs).

The show really is FUBAR. They've destroyed it and turned it into a money sink. They're back looking for a sponsor again so the cut price deal that Allcare pharm got, so RTE could save face, is due to end soon. It cant even get many advertisers ffs. I think there were 2 paying ads in the 1st hour...2! (one of them was The Chester Beatty)

BOC doesn't give a sh!te as he's getting paid - Noel Kelly doesn't give a sh!te as he's getting paid and Dee is too busy looking under her desk wondering 'are those her feet'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Much like “pastry” Claire Byrne, a complete waste of listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

After ten yeees per minute and panels packed full of the usual suspects from Montrose environs I cancelled the whole Sat/Sun talk show circuit. Like dodging a bullet...u have a fresh appreciation for simple pleasures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭archfi

Ruth Coppinger.

I swear to God I heard her say the NMH should be built with an LGBT focus, can anyone correct that or confirm that?!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

And a decent person who has been calling out the UK on their Brexit nonsense for a long time. She is influential and liked in Brussels. I do think grief should be private….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’m sure Angela Scanlon is a nice person, but when I hear the likes of her, Laura Whitmore, Holly Willoughby, Fearne Cotton etc promoting their positivity books, to women my age, I think- who on earth buys these?

These are all wealthy women living in leafy London suburbia. What on earth do they have in common with me? Why do I care what they have to say about their struggles, which bear no relation to me and my peers struggling to even get somewhere to live, or pay the bills?

Maybe I sound harsh- if they genuinely help some people, great. It’s just that none of them are even saying anything original, and are clearly just guided into doing these books by their agents as their next “project”. I don’t get it at all.

• Advertisement

If ever there was a person playing all sides of the field it is Coppinger.

Not happy with anything to so with the State it seems but not afraid to accept the States shilling when her batshït ‘policies’ are once again rejected.

Perfect example of the true hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Very impressive woman who is always well briefed when making media appearances.

I think grief above all is personal.

While it would not be my choice I respect her decision to speak publicly about the recent tragic death of her husband.

Publishing is an odd business and sometimes it seems certain types of book become almost de rigueur in the trade.

Competing publishing houses don't want to miss out on a trend.

Once you hear the promotion tour interviews and read the reviews you will have a good idea if the book would suit you.

You can decide to buy or pick it up in the local library for free.

As to who buys them, you have to think they are personal purchases rather than given as gifts so as you say maybe they are helping some.

Load of rubbish, the poster is dead right to Express their opinion on those named.

Pure vested interest and well paid for commercial critiques.

But nothing new about your attitude to valid criticism.

Everyone is great, everyone is great……

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I agree she is impressive and she has a deep understanding of many European issues.

Listened to it and fair point. Handled well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is a battle going on at RTE at present to see who can earn their money the easiest.

We have BOC v Tubs v Duffy v Miriam v D'Arcy.

It's a tight battle alright, and I'd have to say for the amount of work they do it's got to be between Ballsy and Miriam for me. Having said that the rest of them aren't exactly being worked too hard.

Great jobs if you can get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Didn't hear.

I was too busy laughing at her getting her arse handed to her by Dr. Rhona Mahony.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Don’t agree there Butthers.

Ballsy by a country mile.

Cant even sustain a two hour panel discussion for two days a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,857 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

JARVIS!

Can’t wait for the new book!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Not a bad interview that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The Saturday show always seems a lot better than the Sunday one.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

He has settled in well to the one on one interviews lately.

The first hour on Sunday depends more on the dynamic in the panel and sometimes he over moderates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"the Ukrainian meitheail" says Niamh, I've heard it all now

This is a strange interview.

This couple chatting about a tumour as if both had it.

Bit like a man saying "we are pregnant ".

Haven't heard Microdisney in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

who was the WOKE idiot pumped full of indignation about the Netflix Ricky Gervais new show ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭emo72

Dunno, should I watch the Ricky Gervais special though? I always thought he was funny. How do you get a job as a talking head on rte? Are these supposed to be our betters and try to shape our lives and thoughts? I could do that. Gizza job, go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Advertisement