Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disco Elysium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It looks like the PS5 version is suffering a multitude of issues at the minute, various other smaller issues are popping up on other formats as well

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Xenji wrote: »
    It looks like the PS5 version is suffering a multitude of issues at the minute, various other smaller issues are popping up on other formats as well

What kind of issues on PS5?

edit: nvm

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/03/hands_on_maybe_dont_buy_disco_elysium_on_ps5_at_launch
    Update: Since the publication of this article, Disco Elysium: The Final Cut has taken a small patch that fixes many of the frame rate issues detailed below. Following a quick bit of testing, we have found there to still be dips here and there, but they're not nearly as egregious following the update. However, the fix does not address the clunky interaction prompts as well as the minor bugs and glitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I feel like framerate would be a really minor problem for a game that's mostly just text. All the bugs sound pretty bad though

Have it downloading now, looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. Only negative I've seen so far (apart from bugs and performance) is tiny text which drives me mad, hopefully it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Have it downloading now, looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. Only negative I've seen so far (apart from bugs and performance) is tiny text which drives me mad, hopefully it's not too bad.

I hate this in games too and reading it has put me off this instantly. Is there a text size setting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

i cant interact with anything... really wrecking my head :(

i cant interact with anything... really wrecking my head :(

Aw this on reddit:
    I thought I was going mad! I can’t interact with anything. Thought I was missing something

Edit: Figured it out. You have use the right stick to cycle through.

Just played 10 minutes to have a look....Well this game is certainly different :)

1st room spoiler
    I managed to safely get my tie off the fan and I heard that can actually kill you
    so that's a good start. I went with a boring build of 3's across the board. I can imagine 1's or 6's can drastically change the game but will suss it out as I go.

The text on my monitor was absolutely fine, will be trying it on my 49" telly tonight, that will be the real test. There is a subtitle size option of small, medium and large.

One thing I'll say is don't shy away from ****ing stuff up from time to time, if you have a 9% chance to pass a white skill check go for it (unless it can kill you, then watch out)

One thing I'll say is don't shy away from ****ing stuff up from time to time, if you have a 9% chance to pass a white skill check go for it (unless it can kill you, then watch out)

Is there a way to know what the consequences might be if you fail a check? Some so far seem absolutely trivial or is that part of the fun, anything can happen?

• Advertisement

White checks can be tried again so you should always attempt them. Red checks can only be done once, however if you have an even spread of abilities you might have to be careful on your approach as they can require very high stats sometimes(you can boost your stats with items and/or drugs if need be). Sometimes you have to explore around and find out some more stuff to improve your odds but ultimately even with a 90% chance of passing a red check you can still fail. So there's no incorrect way to do it as such but you'll have to keep an eye on ways to boost the odds in your favour which is where it starts to feel like a real 'battle system' at times

But even if you fail a red check (which will happen at least a couple times on your playthrough) the paths it sends you down can be interesting, though sometimes uncomfortable. You shouldn't save scum it imo. Like one of the fun consequences of this game is how overinvestment in certain stats can cause them to make really bad suggestions and how occasionally you'll have a stat elsewhere that'll pip up and say '**** that nonsense listen to me!'. The cacophany of stupid **** your brain comes up with is extremely entertaining and choosing bad dialogue choices can be really fun if your character is not well equipped to certain situations, tho obviously the point of the game is to try and find the correct option if it presents itself as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I just died trying to punch a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Been on my watchlist for ages this game. Think it's time I take the plunge with this updated version. €40 is a decent price by the sounds of it.

Disco Elysium deemed too edgy for Aussies to handle

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/03/now-its-disco-elysiums-turn-to-be-refused-classification/

prompted by PlayStation release. has been available on steam there but due to be removed.

glasso wrote: »
    Disco Elysium deemed too edgy for Aussies to handle

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/03/now-its-disco-elysiums-turn-to-be-refused-classification/

prompted by PlayStation release. has been available on steam there but due to be removed.

Not really surprising due to how they view games using drug use as incentives, poor Devolver Digital have very little luck getting classification over there as well.

Patch 1.2 coming in the next day or 2 to fix a lot of reported issues.

https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1377311097271812103?s=19

Game is bananas :pac:

The text is fine for me, bit small in the journal but not the worst. Dialogue is brand anyway which is the main thing.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Game is bananas :pac:

The text is fine for me, bit small in the journal but not the worst. Dialogue is brand anyway which is the main thing.

This game is being ported to switch I believe.

Not sure how they are planning on sorting the text on a 6 inch screen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Played this for an hour, and thought it was hilarious. I've seen some interaction bugs but looks like they're being fixed.

I was planning on playing at least part of this on my Samsung S20. Is the text size gonna be an issue or will I be able to adjust it to suit?

• Advertisement

I was planning on playing at least part of this on my Samsung S20. Is the text size gonna be an issue or will I be able to adjust it to suit?

https://www.pocketgamer.com/articles/086199/disco-elysium-the-final-cut-is-out-today-on-google-stadia/
    As a slow-paced and text heavy game, it sounds like Disco Elysium is perfect to bring to mobile phones or tablets via the cloud streaming capabilities of Stadia. There will also be text scaling options, so you won’t have to worry about the writing being too small for phone screens.

glasso wrote: »

Excellent. Just picked it up after reading this. Using Stadia, looks good and clear for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Glebee

Started this on PC a while ago and played about a few hours, just cant get into it and its not clicking with me at all. Must give it another go, usually love these sort of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I'm absolutely loving this game. At a time where i was beginning to get bored with contemporary games this comes along and absolutely sunk its hooks into my brain.
    I've gone with the 'empathy' starting class and am trying to play it as a detective trying to turn his life around/seek some sort of redemption but I'm already looking forward to my next play-through where I'm gonna play as an absolutely calamitous walking disaster.
    The world is so densely rich, dark and humorous that it feels like experiencing a novel.

My only quibble is that the controls are cumbersome on ps5 (most times you have to select something twice for your character to interact with it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Last day to pick this up with 20% off on PS store. Very tempted. Are the initial bugs sorted now on PS5 version?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

No, the bugs are there still present but 1.2 patch coming soon.
    I would pick it up at discount and sit on it for a few days until the patch is out.

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Last day to pick this up with 20% off on PS store. Very tempted. Are the initial bugs sorted now on PS5 version?

It looks like a hotfix patch will be released today and 1.3 soon after that but I would hold off until its been in the wild for a few days because as it stands some of the bugs prevent you from getting items that you need to progress through the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Cheers folks. Took the plunge for the discount but will hold off a week or so to play to check patches are working

Minor issue, but the autosave doesn't save often enough. The game crashed as I was just finishing day 2, over two hours since the last save, I was fairly annoyed. I know I should have saved it myself but it's irritating. Loving it otherwise, some of the dialogue is just bonkers. Great soundtrack too.

• Advertisement

New update for PS5 just installed.

Advertisement