Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM CAO documents

Options
  • 08-01-2020 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm taking the gamsat in March and have applied to the CAO.
    Just wondering what documents we need to send to the CAO, is it just the official college transcript? Read something about somebody having some hassle because they didn't send in their parchment or something?

TIA!
    Tacadh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Confused_!

I think as long as the transcript is an original that has come directly from the college, and isn't a photocopy, and has the award/conferring date on it, it should be ok! Here's the link to what the CAO says about it: http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2020/GraduateEntryMedicine2020.pdf

When you applied to CAO, did you fill out section about Mature entry? On my application, the yellow box at the top is telling me to fill in the mature applicant form, even though the GEMs course isn't mature entry...

Also, did you get an email confirmation about your course choices?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tacadh

Confused_! wrote: »
    I think as long as the transcript is an original that has come directly from the college, and isn't a photocopy, and has the award/conferring date on it, it should be ok! Here's the link to what the CAO says about it: http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2020/GraduateEntryMedicine2020.pdf

When you applied to CAO, did you fill out section about Mature entry? On my application, the yellow box at the top is telling me to fill in the mature applicant form, even though the GEMs course isn't mature entry...

Also, did you get an email confirmation about your course choices?

Ah brilliant, did you post yours on? I've already received my transcript so I'll post it asap.

Yeah, if I recall correctly it said to leave those particular sections (7-11 if I recall correctly?) blank.

Where are you applying to?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Confused_!

I'm just waiting to get them from NUIG, then I'll post them on!

I'm going for UL number one, makes more financial sense for me as I can live at home. I also like the sound of PBL, and the open day was brill! How about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tacadh

Ah brill, hoping for UL too!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Hopeful GEM

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has ever sent in online transcripts? UCD won't be able to give me my physical transcript in time for the new cutoff and I was just curious if anyone has done it before and has some advice? I know they won't take them via email which is annoying but stilll hoping for some tips or things to avoid. Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Peek1

Hey hopful GEM. You don't need the physical copy, through sis web you are able to "enable viewing" or something on your transcripts, this gives you a unique code which you can then send to CAO, they then enter this code in to UCD web page and they can look at your transcripts.

The silly side of all this is that you cant just tell cao the code via email or something, you need to send them physical mail with the code (and I assume the instructions on how to enter it).

I can tell you more tomorrow if you'd like as I pretty much had to call ucd and cao to make sure i did it correctly (just nervous id **** something up i guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 purnimasnow

I had sent them a print out of my online UCD transcript a few weeks ago - but there is nobody in the CAO office to accept them at the min.

But this is the reply I got from CAO: "CAO expect to have documents scanned and completed
    in time for Late July assessment by the colleges.
    You may check back again in late June to verify
    your documents."

If that's any help!

Peek1 wrote: »
    Hey hopful GEM. You don't need the physical copy, through sis web you are able to "enable viewing" or something on your transcripts, this gives you a unique code which you can then send to CAO, they then enter this code in to UCD web page and they can look at your transcripts.

The silly side of all this is that you cant just tell cao the code via email or something, you need to send them physical mail with the code (and I assume the instructions on how to enter it).

I can tell you more tomorrow if you'd like as I pretty much had to call ucd and cao to make sure i did it correctly (just nervous id **** something up i guess)
    Thank you so much Peek1. I'm terrified of messing it up too because it's so weird that that they won't just take the PDF and the code on the transcript to verify. Quite weird that I've to write out instructions and code and send it to them rather than email but sure look. Thanks a mil!

Any idea if they'll scan/upload them too like they would a physical transcript? Sorry for the million questions!

purnimasnow, That probably will work fine, I guess the printed version still counts as a "complete original copy"?

I submitted my mail that had the code in a handwritten letter as I didn't have access to a printer at the time. As I did this back in January or so they received it (I emailed and asked if they got it, told me yes and I assumed there are no problems with it), and maybe a few weeks back they scanned it and uploaded it to cao... so worked out I guess (just so weird that we can't just send an email or even be able to upload it ourselves).

Hopeful GEM, I'm not entirely sure that you have to write out the instructions... I can't remember honestly, but I might have just done that myself, I figured I'd rather look a bit silly and write it out than not get it submitted properly. But there is someone in cao office who deals with grad med entry stuff so pretty sure they would know.

Anyways, let me know if you need help with anything else.

Peek1 wrote: »
    purnimasnow, That probably will work fine, I guess the printed version still counts as a "complete original copy"?

I submitted my mail that had the code in a handwritten letter as I didn't have access to a printer at the time. As I did this back in January or so they received it (I emailed and asked if they got it, told me yes and I assumed there are no problems with it), and maybe a few weeks back they scanned it and uploaded it to cao... so worked out I guess (just so weird that we can't just send an email or even be able to upload it ourselves).

Hopeful GEM, I'm not entirely sure that you have to write out the instructions... I can't remember honestly, but I might have just done that myself, I figured I'd rather look a bit silly and write it out than not get it submitted properly. But there is someone in cao office who deals with grad med entry stuff so pretty sure they would know.

Anyways, let me know if you need help with anything else.
    Thank you so much again! They did tell me to write out the instructions and physically post it to them so you definitely made the right call on that. You're also right in that it is so so weird we can't email or do it ourselves and let them verify, would save so much work for them and less stress for us...

Hope you get the course you want this September!

• Advertisement

Yeah ofc no worries, you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DivaDanto

Hi guys, just looking for some further clarification here regarding documents submitted:
    -I have submitted an official transcript stating my 2:1 undergrad which came directly from the university and has the school stamp on it
    -Degree parchment is in latin, so submitted an English translation which came from the university and is stamped by their academic registry, stating the date of conferral.
    -Is there anything else I need?

CAO offices are still closed so can still send in the documents before the end of this month if there is anything else required.
    Just freaked I will mess up something very simple like this and be ruled out!
    Would appreciate any guidance!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

DivaDanto wrote: »
    Hi guys, just looking for some further clarification here regarding documents submitted:
    -I have submitted an official transcript stating my 2:1 undergrad which came directly from the university and has the school stamp on it
    -Degree parchment is in latin, so submitted an English translation which came from the university and is stamped by their academic registry, stating the date of conferral.
    -Is there anything else I need?

CAO offices are still closed so can still send in the documents before the end of this month if there is anything else required.
    Just freaked I will mess up something very simple like this and be ruled out!
    Would appreciate any guidance!

It sounds like you have your bases covered.

If you are deemed ineligible, you have about a week at the end of July to send in any outstanding documents. It's stressful as you have to call them nonstop and lines are usually busy, but I did it and everything was fine by 6 am on August 1st when offers were released. Of course the 'calling nonstop' stategy is moot during COVID, so it is best to have original documents sent in from the outset. Sounds like you are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭taxignorant

Guys I had raised a query via email with CAO as they hadn't scanned my primary transcript. I've register posted a second copy, the phone lines are closed and the office is closed. Does anyone know when their office is planning to open or when the post backlog will be tackled? It looks like offers for Gradmed will be out 8th August so I presume soon

Today I got back my stamped addressed envelope that I had included with my 2nd original transcript (first wasn't scanned), except the envelope was empty no receipt! It seems like there is someone processing post but may be overwhelmed. I think anyone not sure keep trying to get in contact with them. (Plus post back if anyone is successful in talking to a human at CAO)

Today I got back my stamped addressed envelope that I had included with my 2nd original transcript (first wasn't scanned), except the envelope was empty no receipt! It seems like there is someone processing post but may be overwhelmed. I think anyone not sure keep trying to get in contact with them. (Plus post back if anyone is successful in talking to a human at CAO)

If I recall correctly, the empty envelope is your receipt.

If I recall correctly, the empty envelope is your receipt.

Ah ok, thank you. Im somewhat reassured, though it is so irregular not to specify what you are giving receipt of. I think I will only fully relax until I see it in the scanned docs attached to the application. They must be having all sorts of issues with lockdown and leaving cert, will try get in touch as soon as phone line opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NiceMedBoy

Ah ok, thank you. Im somewhat reassured, though it is so irregular not to specify what you are giving receipt of. I think I will only fully relax until I see it in the scanned docs attached to the application. They must be having all sorts of issues with lockdown and leaving cert, will try get in touch as soon as phone line opens.

I sent documents to them last Tuesday and got a returned envelope with a stamped receipt saying they've received it by last Thursday. By Monday it was all scanned up to my application. I was actually quite impressed by the quickness of it all.

Hi guys,

Perhaps a stupid question but just wondering how do the universities decide on your EU/ Non-EU status for fees etc. Have any of you had to submit documentation regarding this or is it automatically completed?

Bit confused about it. I lived in Aus for a few months but would still qualify for the EU fees under their description of it (have to have been resident in Ireland for 3 of the last 5 years) but am just freaked that something will be out of order with the application and will be ineligible!

Any info/ reassurance greatly appreciated!

Hi guys,

Perhaps a stupid question but just wondering how do the universities decide on your EU/ Non-EU status for fees etc. Have any of you had to submit documentation regarding this or is it automatically completed?

Bit confused about it. I lived in Aus for a few months but would still qualify for the EU fees under their description of it (have to have been resident in Ireland for 3 of the last 5 years) but am just freaked that something will be out of order with the application and will be ineligible!

Have you mentioned anywhere that you lived in Australia? I would imagine that if your address is Irish and you went to an Irish university in the last few years, they won't bat much of an eye. They also have your PPS so they would see your residency status from that I think

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

If you maintained an Irish address you are fine. You are allowed to go on extended holidays. One of my classmates was in Aus for 2 years before she started.

I lived outside of the EU for 20 years so I had to give the CAO 3 years of P21 statements from revenue to prove that I was here. The 3 years cannot include the year of matriculation, so for 2020 entry they will ask for P21s for 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Hi Flimsy Boat, When did you have to provide all these details? I was never asked for any of this..

I was on a temporary visa there for 9 months, but still had an address in Ireland at all times throughout and paid tax in Ireland for the last 5 years.

On the CAO form it does not request PPS no. so I'm just confused if I am missing something here!

Thanks for your help.

Hi Flimsy Boat, When did you have to provide all these details? I was never asked for any of this..

I was on a temporary visa there for 9 months, but still had an address in Ireland at all times throughout and paid tax in Ireland for the last 5 years.

On the CAO form it does not request PPS no. so I'm just confused if I am missing something here!

Thanks for your help.
    So sorry, I'm mixing up CAO applications with a different application. No PPS, my bad!

Thanks for your help.

They only ask for this info if there is a question about your EU status. In my case, the fees office of my university contacted me after I was accepted. (I had also provided copies to the CAO before July but they weren't complete. I only knew to send in some form of documentation because in my case it was obvious there would be a question about my EU status)

There won't be a question about your status based on the information you have provided.

They only ask for this info if there is a question about your EU status. In my case, the fees office of my university contacted me after I was accepted. (I had also provided copies to the CAO before July but they weren't complete. I only knew to send in some form of documentation because in my case it was obvious there would be a question about my EU status)

There won't be a question about your status based on the information you have provided.

Thanks a mill Hopeful GEM and Flimsy - I can breathe easy once again

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AThoma

Hi there,
    Just want to check if anyone else has had to send print versions of their transcripts with a email confirming their results. Just want to make sure I’m not the only one as at the moment trinity college is not providing hard copies and I’m terrified the printed version won’t be accepted

I think CAO made reference to arrangements like this in one of their mass emails, but I don't have it to hand. UCD weren't giving transcripts either and applicants were asked to give login details for their results online I believe. You should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hopefulsucess

AThoma wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Just want to check if anyone else has had to send print versions of their transcripts with a email confirming their results. Just want to make sure I’m not the only one as at the moment trinity college is not providing hard copies and I’m terrified the printed version won’t be accepted

Trying to get through to tcd to get answers, who did you contact to get print versions of transcripts?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AThoma

Trying to get through to tcd to get answers, who did you contact to get print versions of transcripts?

I contacted academic registry and they sent me a pdf of my transcripts, I wanted a hard copy but they said they couldn’t send them and they hadn’t a clue when I asked them about enabling the transcripts to be viewed by the cao

• Advertisement

AThoma wrote: »
    I contacted academic registry and they sent me a pdf of my transcripts, I wanted a hard copy but they said they couldn’t send them and they hadn’t a clue when I asked them about enabling the transcripts to be viewed by the cao
    When you send the CAO a printed copy of your transcipt, send them instructions how to do it which you can find on the UCD Registry website. When you go into your SISWeb into the section with the electronic documents you hit the link that enables them for third party viewing. When you do this, anyone with your student number and the unique document identifier with each file (which is at the bottom of every one of your electronic documents), they can see it on UCD document verification website

Advertisement