Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated words/terms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

C*nt, best word in the English language even better that some people get so wound up by it’s usage (it’s a common everyday word in my part of the country it’s only in recent years I realised how “bad” it’s considered by some people.

http://www.matthewhunt.com/****/
    This is an article worth a gawk. Cùnt is a word ripe for repossession by the female of the species, sharing an etymology with queen, and possibly harbour.

As for the initial question, I'm on a one woman mission to resurrect Groovy. It's such a groovy word.

Gynoid wrote: »
    This is an article worth a gawk. Cùnt is a word ripe for repossession by the female of the species, sharing an etymology with queen, and possibly harbour.

As for the initial question, I'm on a one woman mission to resurrect Groovy. It's such a groovy word.

Feck. Looks like one has to rewrite the letters c u n t into the Url to reach the groovy article.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Deja Boo wrote: »
    It's not my favourite word either (right up there with 'moist'), but :rolleyes: would you judge someone with...
    • IQ: Genius level 140 (brilliant on more than one level, most woud say)
    • Education: Juliard
    • Upbringing: in a prestigious household
    Robin Williams, RIP
    revealed it was his favourite curse word, in the Pivot Questionnaire on Lipton's Actors Studio (all RW's youtube references have been deleted, otherwise I would provide the link)

I think you might have it wrong, if this is the one you're talking about:
    Host : What's your favorite word?

Robin Williams : Cloaca. It's a real word. It exists because it's, uh, only certain bugs have it. It's a combination asshole and vagina. Next to that I think "abbondanza" is a great word.

Host : What's your least favorite word?

Robin Williams : ****. Least favorite word because it's so negative. It's the one word that'll get me kicked out of the house. I once let it fly, it was like

[mimes door slam and makes noise]

Robin Williams : , okay, that was it, bye, bye-bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I think you might have it wrong...
    Thank you PM, my mistake! I remembered incorrectly and couldn't find the vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As much as I would have loved for that to be his favourite word, it's still not far off. One could consider his favourite even worse. If you call someone a Cloaca, you're saying they're both a a$$hole and a cnut!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Rumpy pumpy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So you automatically judge people who say cunt as having low IQ and a bad upbringing, or a high IQ and good upbringing, or a combination of both? I'd a good upbringing, and according to the last IQ test I'm slight above average (but how accurate they are I will always question, intelligence can't be measured the same in different people imo), and I'm pretty sure cunt is one of my most used curses, up there with fuck tbh!
    Yeah and make no bones about of it. I particularly dislike the word and the sense that it comes from a half-educated squaddie but each to their own. It's not that I don't use expletives but I am always mindful of who is around me. It's that lack of awareness that is more an issue. An acquaintance of mine in HR took six months to remove it from a workplace amongst a group of warehouse workers and drivers after a lot of complaints. It never dawned on them the word bothered anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

When someone quotes IQ in relation to anything I immediately jump to the conclusion that they are a:

Gobshite - one of my favourite words.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

When someone quotes IQ in relation to anything I immediately jump to the conclusion that they are a:

Gobshite - one of my favourite words.
    Ah takes one to know one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Gynoid wrote: »

Actually, you've been on a two woman mission but just didn't know it! How groovy is that?

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Actually, you've been on a two woman mission but just didn't know it! How groovy is that?

Groovy! :)

Discombobulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Scampi Kebab

Affogato

• Registered Users Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Emasculate

Belligerent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Jackanapes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Cromulent

calmy doony

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Gargantuan.

You know I've always liked that word gargantuan? I so rarely have an opportunity to use it in a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Pissmire

Facetious

Gallivant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

Snuffalufagus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Kenopsia

The eerie feeling of a place usually full of people which is empty or abandoned.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 27 THEBLACKDEVIL

Rigmarole

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Lollygagging

Shalacking

Shambok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jamieeeee

Jaunt - I'm going out on a little jaunt this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Supine - to lie horizontally facing upwards

Castrato - a male singer who was castrated to give his voice a sound resembling a prepubescent child. Here's what one sounded like.

Supine - to lie horizontally facing upwards

Castrato - a male singer who was castrated to give his voice a sound resembling a prepubescent child. Here's what one sounded like.

Was that recording made during the procedure?

Such an horrific thing, in all seriousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jamieeeee

Fuuckin A - an expression of surprise, anger, approval, satisfaction, contempt, outrage, shock, disgust, disappointment, frustration etc.

That's my motto.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Was that recording made during the procedure?

Such an horrific thing, in all seriousness.

They used to do it before puberty, before their voices changed.

My underrated word is "perchance".

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    They used to do it before puberty, before their voices changed.

My underrated word is "perchance".

Yes, I know. Fukcing awful thing to do to a child. They were left with life long health problems as a result, not to mention it robbed them of their sexuality.

Advertisement