Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Japanese imports, Prius

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

FirstIn wrote: »
    All jap imports will be jap built. A good thing.

Even all the VWs, Audis and BMWs imported from Japan? :)

But you can't assume this for Japanese marques either. For example, the second and third generation Avensis were sold in Japan but these were built in Burnaston like all the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Sorry for the delay, john_doe - I got my car in October. I love it, to be honest, though I haven't yet had the dash translated into English, and I'm still trying to work out the best way to max the battery and save on petrol costs. It's still more economic than my old Yaris, but I still have to work out a few things to make it more so.

Good luck with the car hunt!

Thanks where did you get it ?
    Also does anyone know do the Prius PHEVs work over here if imported?

Voltages for charging etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hector Island

john_doe. wrote: »

I got it in Drimnagh Motors. I don't know anything about those other things, sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

john_doe. wrote: »

The onboard charging equipment in the car will work fine with 230V AC, you'll just need to buy your own cables, like here (assuming 1st gen PHV): https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/select-your-car/toyota/toyota-prius-pre-2017.html

You'll need a Type 1 to Type 2 cable for public chargers in Ireland (standard chargers only, this car doesn't support fast charging), and a portable EVSE (aka granny charger) for charging off a normal domestic 13A socket - the latter is the more expensive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 drorrie

does anyone know if parts are different? Like do you have to send to Japan for parts etc or can they use the parts from here? Never occurred to me but I was talking about getting a jap import in work and someone mentioned this might be a problem???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

drorrie wrote: »
    does anyone know if parts are different? Like do you have to send to Japan for parts etc or can they use the parts from here? Never occurred to me but I was talking about getting a jap import in work and someone mentioned this might be a problem???

Not all parts are compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not all parts are compatible.

If we manage to guess what car they are considering then we may be able to give a better answer!

Green90 wrote: »
    I bought a Japanese import (Hybrid Toyota Prius) in April 2019. Had no problem moving my existing insurance over for a small fee. Now that I need to renew the insurance I've been blankly declined by 3 insurers (FBD, Allianz and Cornmarket). With the explanation of "We decline to insure any vehicles imported from Japan".

Did you ever get anywhere with this??? i'm thinking about buying an imported prius. Maybe I should ring my insurance company before I do.

Sorry - prius estate 2014 or maybe a 2014 corolla estate.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

drorrie wrote: »

With Hondas a lot of the parts can be cross referenced against European models.
    Very rarely would we have to order something from Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I just got a 141 jap import insight for my wife.
    Insurance actually went down by 100 euros.
    But she was driving a 2008 sportage 2.0 diesel.

So that could explain the change.

Do you mind if I ask which company you got the car from? I'd a lovely Mitsubishi back in the day plus a Previa when the kids came along. I never had a problem with either car and I was through all of France, Germany and Holland in the Previa.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask which company you got the car from? I'd a lovely Mitsubishi back in the day plus a Previa when the kids came along. I never had a problem with either car and I was through all of France, Germany and Holland in the Previa.

I bought it through a lad I deal with in work-he bought a couple in to sell on but hes not really a dealer. Citicars in Lucan or Declan Gill out at the airport are the 2 Id recommend. I was actually supposed to get mine from Declan but the one he had for me sold before the finance came through.

You cant go wrong with either of these.

Advertisement