Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Japanese imports, Prius

Options
  • 09-11-2019 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I want to buy a Toyota Prius and most of the cars I found on DoneDeal/Cars Of Ireland/Car Zone are Japanese import. At least the cars that have less mileage and good price. My question is: Is there any issue with buying a Japanese import car? will the spare parts be an issue? is there any well known problem with them, especially the Prius.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

yakoub wrote:
    I want to buy a Toyota Prius and most of the cars I found on DoneDeal/Cars Of Ireland/Car Zone are Japanese import. At least the cars that have less mileage and good price. My question is: Is there any issue with buying a Japanese import car? will the spare parts be an issue? is there any well known problem with them, especially the Prius.

No issue on my 3rd , liberty insurance, fantastic automatic cars all Jap hybrids , ref Prius don't know as I've a honda insight,reliable,low mileage,clean dependable,Jap import way to go, honest John will give you a good review( non import) AFAIK Prius is bulletproof

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yakoub

What about the spare parts? The Japanese cars may be using different part numbers, did you find any issue finding the needed parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

As there is only one engine configuration, no difference in bodywork, and they're all built in Japan, I can't imagine you'd have much trouble getting parts for a Japanese Prius.

What you won't get is the hybrid system warranty up to 15 years (if you bring it in to a dealer for annual checks) - Toyota Ireland only cover cars originally sold in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

You'll struggle to get diagnostic work / wiring work done on it. Toyota dealer diagnostic plug in won't work and you will not be able to get wiring diagrams etc. That said, 3rd party diagnostic machines may read it ok, and not much goes wrong with them anyways. Parts are no issue either.

yakoub wrote:
    What about the spare parts? The Japanese cars may be using different part numbers, did you find any issue finding the needed parts?

Euro parts/ Mick's garage/Mr auto.ie etc etc no problems

• Advertisement

sumo12 wrote:
    You'll struggle to get diagnostic work / wiring work done on it. Toyota dealer diagnostic plug in won't work and you will not be able to get wiring diagrams etc. That said, 3rd party diagnostic machines may read it ok, and not much goes wrong with them anyways. Parts are no issue either.

Regards HONDA and I suggest the same applies to Toyota same computer in all main garages whether in Japan or Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hector Island

I just bought an import Prius and the language on the screen is Japanese. Any ideas on how to get it changed to English? I love the car, by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I just bought an import Prius and the language on the screen is Japanese. Any ideas on how to get it changed to English? I love the car, by the way...

Remember coming home G-eyed from Diceys looking at taxi with Japanese writing and the visualisation of the wheels moving while the battery charges. Thought it was the devils water messing with my brain.

There are people who will do conversions: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/prius-japanese-to-english-mobile-service-sale/18430508

Just an example, I don't have personal experience with this service. Around €150 seems to be the going rate though.

There's no way to change the language from Japanese without re-flashing the firmware, and a Toyota dealer will not help you. It's probably intended to discourage grey imports.

Thanks guys for your replies, I am more confident now to buy a Japanese import.

Do you know how can I check its history in Japan? what should I do to make sure the car is in a good shape, do I need to take a mechanic with me or shall I take it to Toyota?

• Advertisement

Cartell.ie use this crowd for Japanese imports: https://carvx.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Green90

I bought a Japanese import (Hybrid Toyota Prius) in April 2019. Had no problem moving my existing insurance over for a small fee. Now that I need to renew the insurance I've been blankly declined by 3 insurers (FBD, Allianz and Cornmarket). With the explanation of "We decline to insure any vehicles imported from Japan".

Green90 wrote: »
    I bought a Japanese import (Hybrid Toyota Prius) in April 2019. Had no problem moving my existing insurance over for a small fee. Now that I need to renew the insurance I've been blankly declined by 3 insurers (FBD, Allianz and Cornmarket). With the explanation of "We decline to insure any vehicles imported from Japan".

Wow! They didn't elaborate?

Did you get insurance elsewhere?

• Company Representative Posts: 18 Verified rep MicksGarage.com

yakoub wrote: »

There shouldn't be any issue at all. You can check out all our Prius parts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

One word : Insurance ! Potential nightmare ( if you can even get it )

Does anybody know how can I run a health check on the Japanese Import? I called multiple Toyota Dealers and they all said they can't do it because of the different software. One said they will try, but it may not work.

For a hybrid? You could do it yourself. Get a OBD2 scanner and Dr. Prius app.

but how can I test the battery? the mechanical system in general? I thought this will be done in the Health Check

You can do a battery health check with that app. Whether or not it's the same as Toyota's health check, I don't know, but it's better than nothing. The main thing to watch out for is significant voltage deviation between the blocks.

Mechanically, it's just normal car stuff, except for the transmission - Toyota say the transmission fluid is lifetime, but some people do change it. There doesn't seem to be a consensus there.

For the Gen 3 Prius (and anything else that shares the engine) it's recommended to clean out the EGR valve, cooler and pipework every 160k km.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Had a Japanese import Toyota Camry 96 plate a couple of taxis ago, pretty much bullet proof but stop/tail bulbs were always a problem, big capless buggers. Rented an imported Prius for a week and found it very off putting that it kept talking to me in Japanes and I had no idea if it was telling me something serious about to go wrong or just a polite message to drive safely.

Oh and when the guy maintaining the car changed a h/l bulb for it flickering was the weirdest bulb I'd ever seen but maybe they're all like that now.

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Rented an imported Prius for a week and found it very off putting that it kept talking to me in Japanes and I had no idea if it was telling me something serious about to go wrong or just a polite message to drive safely.

Talking with a voice? Maybe the ETC card reader (for toll roads) wasn't removed or something?

If there's a serious problem, the master warning light would appear (yellow triangle) and it will beep at you incessantly. If it's just text appearing on the MFD, it's probably on the settings screen and telling you that you can't enter the settings until you stop driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Talking with a voice? Maybe the ETC card reader (for toll roads) wasn't removed or something?

If there's a serious problem, the master warning light would appear (yellow triangle) and it will beep at you incessantly. If it's just text appearing on the MFD, it's probably on the settings screen and telling you that you can't enter the settings until you stop driving.

Absolutely no idea what it was telling me, was most disconcerting, but it was a vocal cue not writing on the MFD

Probably either the satnav or some aftermarket accessory (like ETC reader, I know they talk), the car itself doesn't talk.

Guy on ( was) adverts in city West dies the Prius, couldn't do my HONDA,you might have totraw a bit( I might have it saved on my insight central forum)

Green90 wrote: »
    Liberty

2011abc wrote: »

Liberty

2011abc wrote: »

I've spoken now to several owners of Japanese imports and they say that insurance wasn't a problem at all. One of them had Liberty, and another has 123.ie...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

I've spoken now to several owners of Japanese imports and they say that insurance wasn't a problem at all. One of them had Liberty, and another has 123.ie...

Also Interested in this .

Was looking to get the PHEV model .
    Where u thinking of getting car from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

john_doe. wrote: »
    Also Interested in this .

Was looking to get the PHEV model .
    Where u thinking of getting car from ?

Scratch that abandoned idea of PHEV for regular Prius . Looking at some auctions to get an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Anyone have any experience or knowledge around Japanese imports ?
    My wife has set her eye on a Prius Import Hybrid with less than 60k on the clock.
    It looks good but I just don't know.
    Anyone any opinions suggestions on what I should be looking at ?

Advertisement