Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New runners- what to choose

• 03-01-2020 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

My runners are 10+ years old so time to consider buying a new pair.

My running is urban Or treadmill based, 5-7 km. We’ll say 4 times a week though it varies.

What would be a good runner for me in the 100 euro bracket or are 100 euro runners overrated.

Also what size is ideal for runners? Bigger or smaller than or your normal civvie runner size?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Go to a running shop. Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Go to a running shop. Where are you based?

Poland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Go to a running store and get a gait analysis. Get an expert to tell you what type of shoe suits you.

Try on a few different types of said shoe and pick the most comfortable.

Looking at online reviews or asking advice online is pretty much pointless

Lazare wrote: »
    Go to a running store and get a gait analysis. Get an expert to tell you what type of shoe suits you.

What does that normally cost?

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    What does that normally cost?

It's normally free once you're buying the shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Genuine question as the advice tends to be to get a gait analysis and an 'expert' to recommend based off that. I did that for last pair and they were fine (but I'm very novice so not sure exactly what I'm looking for bar comfort).

If you go somewhere like Elvery's are you not going to wind up with someone who could possibly be a part timer working around their college course giving advice on what to buy? i.e. no more of an expert than the man on the street?

I guess I'm just wondering how much stock to put into these analysis/recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Turkish1 wrote:
    I guess I'm just wondering how much stock to put into these analysis/recommendations?

It's a fair point and one of the reasons I've never bothered getting it done. That being said when someone is running a few times a week and just needs a basic runner then any free advice is better than none.

People overthink this stuff. Unless you're doing serious training, go into any shop. Try on a pair, see if they are comfie and buy them. You can't really go wrong with most of what elverys offer such as any asics or brooks brand if you're just getting into running.

Turkish1 wrote: »
    Genuine question as the advice tends to be to get a gait analysis and an 'expert' to recommend based off that. I did that for last pair and they were fine (but I'm very novice so not sure exactly what I'm looking for bar comfort).

If you go somewhere like Elvery's are you not going to wind up with someone who could possibly be a part timer working around their college course giving advice on what to buy? i.e. no more of an expert than the man on the street?

Don't go to Elverys, you need to go to a running specific store.

Amphibian King for example, staff there are top athletes who absolutely know their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I got Nike Zoom Fly Flyknit at the Nike Store online. Highly recommended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Amphibian King for example, staff there are top athletes who absolutely know their stuff.

Had been recommended Amphibian King before also. Must give them a try shortly as in the market also at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not Nike I think they smell like cats pee

People overthink this stuff. Unless you're doing serious training, go into any shop. Try on a pair, see if they are comfie and buy them. You can't really go wrong with most of what elverys offer such as any asics or brooks brand if you're just getting into running.

Listen, you’re probably right.

Does anyone have any ideas in size, stick to your normal size or go a bit tighter?

Like I would say and maybe it just me but a lot of shoes feel a pinch on the Achilles when you buy them but tend to loosen out quickly.

Is that just me? Just makes the ‘comfy check’ in the store slightly redundant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

A physio said Asics. All of his collegues in the practice wear them. Good arch support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sketchers are the most comfortable runners I've ever had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Brooks fan here, the current Adrenaline is a lovely support shoe and the Ghost is a nice neutral one. I size up a full size - 6.5 in normal shoes to a 7.5 in my Adrenalines.

Dots1982 wrote:
    Does anyone have any ideas in size, stick to your normal size or go a bit tighter?

Stick to your normal size but "normal" might be different across models and brands. It can be a trial and error thing. I've probably ended up with three or four pairs that felt fine in the shop but just were horrible to run in.

Personally I think people can overthink cushioning, support, pronation and all that. Just go with a general pair and see how you go. Some popular brands and models, Nike Pegasus, Asics Gel Nimbus, Asics Gel Cumulus, Brooks Adrenaline. Personally my go to daily, easy miles runners are Nike Pegasus and Asics Dynaflyte. I think the Dynaflyte is a super runner for people just getting into running. Trouble is you might not find that in a shop to try it on first.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

This, stay well clear of Elverys, they and their chief cheerleader in Irish Runner don't seem to know the difference between Nimbus and GT2000 for instance, they are there to take your money at the tills, don't ask them anything other than if they have it in your size.

Got a pair of Nike Pegasus for 70 euro/299 zloty. Gave me brand of Brooks and Saucony to try as well but the Pegasus seemed the best out of the brief run I had on each.

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote:
    Got a pair of Nike Pegasus for 70 euro/299 zloty. Gave me brand of Brooks and Saucony to try as well but the Pegasus seemed the best out of the brief run I had on each.

Lovely shoe. Enjoy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Any tips for heel/achilles protection? I've had Brooks Ghost for years but the latest version isn't working for me.

Might goto Amphibian King on the weekend but new runners are an expensive mistake if you get it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Dots1982 wrote: »
    My runners are 10+ years old ....

:eek:

Delighted you got a new pair! Good running.

Myksyk wrote: »
    :eek:

Delighted you got a new pair! Good running.

They actually look ok. I only ever used them for running. But I don’t know what 10+ years does to the standard of the shoe. My IT bands had been giving me trouble recently so maybe this was related to the age of the runners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

People, including myself, go overboard with it probably, but the general advice is to change runners every 500k or so. I wait until 700-750k and even then I wonder am I just succumbing to marketing nonsense. I'm looking at some advice I saw recently to have a few sets and rotate them so that there are slightly different pressures and impacts on feet and legs than wearing the same pair all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

People, including myself, go overboard with it probably, but the general advice is to change runners every 500k or so. I wait until 700-750k and even then I wonder am I just succumbing to marketing nonsense. I'm looking at some advice I saw recently to have a few sets and rotate them so that there are slightly different pressures and impacts on feet and legs than wearing the same pair all the time.

+1 for this. I started rotating 4/5 different pairs instead of running in same pair every time. Has helped a lot with niggles and injury prevention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

+1 for this. I started rotating 4/5 different pairs instead of running in same pair every time. Has helped a lot with niggles and injury prevention.

Same, my missus thinks I've lost the run of myself but I really think it helps. I would wear 3 different pairs every week , 4 if you include spikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Peemaccee

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Any tips for heel/achilles protection? I've had Brooks Ghost for years but the latest version isn't working for me.

For years now the first thing I do on purchase of a new pair of runners is slit the heel with a stanley knife, a good inch or so normally.
    I was worried initially about the heel moving while on a run, but it has never been an issue. The depth of the slit has remained constant over the life span of the shoes. I know it seems mad to do it after spending €xxx on new shoes.

A view of my current shoe heels

500386.png

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I'm new to this running craic and I need to get a par of runners how would ye rate the acis gt 2000 was looking at a pair the other day might búy them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I keep my shoes for up to 2000k and I once went 9 years without a single injury with that approach. I am absolutely convinced that the advice to change your runners more often is purely driven by marketing and has nothing to do with injury prevention.

As for rotating shoes, absolutely! I always have 2 or 3 pair in active rotation and I never wear the same pair on consecutive days. I also make sure that they are different makes, e.g. one pair Saucony, one Adidas, one Asics. I find they last longer that way, which makes this a cheaper option in the long run, counter-intuitive as it may sound.

Advertisement