Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Marian Finucane

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

Marian was such a fantastic broadcaster and presenter. Loved her Sunday morning news radio show. Nothing much got past Marian.

The Claire Byrnes, Brendan O Connors and Ryan Turbidys are unfit for purpose when compared with the professionalism and self-possession that Marian displayed on air. She was at home on the radio

Sleep well, fair lady

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭sporina

John said she hadn't been well for 2 months so finished up work in Dec... she had Arrhythmias - had a procedure before India but that the result wasn't good - I assume he meant, not successful... glad they got to have their trip to India.. RIP... she was indeed a pioneer..

sporina wrote: »
    John said she hadn't been well for 2 months so finished up work in Dec... she had Arrhythmias - had a procedure before India but that the result wasn't good - I assume he meant, not successful... glad they got to have their trip to India.. RIP... she was indeed a pioneer..

They use an ablation technique in cath lab to try and "burn off" any area that might be contributing to arrhythmia. In many cases it is effective, in some it is not? but in some it takes several "goes" to achieve the result. With arrhythmia you are particularly prone to stroke and normally put on something to help prevent that, but the Ruth's disorder can cause episodic weakness, and ongoing tiredness if it is particularly troublesome. It can cause blackouts which make driving hazardous and maybe she was advised not be be doing the commute to RTÉ if it couldn't be controlled safely, and a taxi would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭sporina

They use an ablation technique in cath lab to try and "burn off" any area that might be contributing to arrhythmia. In many cases it is effective, in some it is not? but in some it takes several "goes" to achieve the result. With arrhythmia you are particularly prone to stroke and normally put on something to help prevent that, but the Ruth's disorder can cause episodic weakness, and ongoing tiredness if it is particularly troublesome. It can cause blackouts which make driving hazardous and maybe she was advised not be be doing the commute to RTÉ if it couldn't be controlled safely, and a taxi would be needed.

thanks for that - wer you watching the doc? John said she had been struggling with her health for 2 months prior to her last show on Dec 8th; had decided not to renew her contract in the NY and go to India.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I had assumed given her travel history and age that her death was caused by DVT ( Deep vein thrombosis) May she RIP. She was a gifted broadcaster.

Whilst Marian was a gifted broadcaster with a formidable intellect let we not forget how elderly residents were evicted from their homes in the Mespil Apartments Ballsbridge Dublin in 1992 and sold by the then semi-state owned Irish Life Assurance to a golden circle of well- connected elites including broadcasters, politicians bankers etc with 100% loans given by irish nationwide's Michael Fingleton to some of the purchasers (Fingleton also bought apartments there).

The elderly residents were evicted. I knew one of these long term residents who were evicted.

Marian Finnucane bought an apartment there at a knock down price.

• Advertisement

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I had assumed given her travel history and age that her death was caused by DVT ( Deep vein thrombosis) May she RIP. She was a gifted broadcaster.

Whilst Marian was a gifted broadcaster with a formidable intellect let we not forget how elderly residents were evicted from their homes in the Mespil Apartments Ballsbridge Dublin in 1992 and sold by the then semi-state owned Irish Life Assurance to a golden circle of well- connected elites including broadcasters, politicians bankers etc with 100% loans given by irish nationwide's Michael Fingleton to some of the purchasers (Fingleton also bought apartments there).

The elderly residents were evicted. I knew one of these long term residents who were evicted.

Marian Finnucane bought an apartment there at a knock down price.

My aunt resided there, got the whole detailed story from her at the time, won't post it here. Apparently Marian herself wasn't quite aware of what was happening. I believe other(s) did the transaction on her behalf, legally, and that she learned of the actuality of her investment after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

100% mortgages in 1992 - while the nation was on its knees and the inly question when you graduated was whether it would be London or America to emigrate to as there was almost zero chance of employment.

64k for a 2 bed appartment in D4 beside the Burlo - who says knowing someone wasn’t the way to
    go or to get a job. Not much has changed.

Is Gerry Ryans daughter still in radio? The job she walked into after her father snorted his way into a permanent plot? At least Marion was talented and professional in her role - but that was why she paid that huge salary courtesy of the taxpayer for all those years. Unlike nowadays. RIP.

My aunt resided there, got the whole detailed story from her at the time, won't post it here. Apparently Marian herself wasn't quite aware of what was happening. I believe other(s) did the transaction on her behalf, legally, and that she learned of the actuality of her investment after the fact.

Amazing that a highly intelligent guards daughter( I.e. cute as a fox as Marian was ) wasnt aware of the history of the Mespil Estate Apartments and its long term residents, mostly elderly, being evicted with little statutory tenancy right at that time in 1992. I would have thought one would conduct due diligence to ensure one got vacant possession of an investment property prior to purchase even if she got it at a knockdown price. I recall her trying to excuse the purchase by saying she had no pension when queried. It was Gerldine Kennedy of the Irish Times who broke the story. Marian was part of the Golden Circle of Elites in Ireland.

Amazing that a highly intelligent guards daughter( I.e. cute as a fox as Marian was ) wasnt aware of the history of the Mespil Estate Apartments and its long term residents, mostly elderly, being evicted with little statutory tenancy right at that time in 1992. I would have thought one would conduct due diligence to ensure one got vacant possession of an investment property prior to purchase even if she got it at a knockdown price. I recall her trying to excuse the purchase by saying she had no pension when queried. It was Gerldine Kennedy of the Irish Times who broke the story. Marian was part of the Golden Circle of Elites in Ireland.

My aunt remained as a sitting tenant and was a thorn in the side of her particular landlord (not Marian!). They tried to scare her out at night when she was only remaining resident but she got male family members to stay with her at times and stood up to them, would call cops when banging on her door and walls would happen.

The story went that Marian had signed for her investments to be looked after by a trusted person(/s) and that she did not know specifically that purchase of one of these apartments was part of it. But like the Gaybo/Russell Murphy scenario, only the person(/s) acted very well in Marian's interest. I heard more details but won't post here. It was all fully legal, and Marian successfully took legal action over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Alfred123 wrote: »
    Marian was such a fantastic broadcaster and presenter. Loved her Sunday morning news radio show. Nothing much got past Marian.

The Claire Byrnes, Brendan O Connors and Ryan Turbidys are unfit for purpose when compared with the professionalism and self-possession that Marian displayed on air. She was at home on the radio

Sleep well, fair lady
    By the end she had been phoning it in for several years. Her health issues offer an explanation I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

What exactly has a guards child got to do with intelligence, or being cute as a fox?

What exactly has a guards child got to do with intelligence, or being cute as a fox?

Weren't guards known to be (small time) investors in property in the time of the bedsits and maybe passed the know-how down through family?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Her father passed away when she was 12 which would have been 1963 or thereabouts, but maybe they discussed property investments before his passing, who knows?

Did Pat Kenny get the morning weekday show when Marian moved to weekends?

Radio5 wrote: »
    Her father passed away when she was 12 which would have been 1963 or thereabouts, but maybe they discussed property investments before his passing, who knows?

I know in my own family of old property "culture" was a thing passed down through a couple of generations, even where initiating parent had passed on. Some of the women in my ancestral family (now I'm talking 30s through 50s onwards for some time) were given houses as a form of independence to either live in if single or to rent out when married as a personal independent income. Marian's mother would likely have had property to rely on for some extra income as a widow, and Marian might have grown up with a particular awareness of this as a reasonably reliable form of steady modest income, whilst having the asset of the property at the end of the day.

I know in my own family of old property "culture" was a thing passed down through a couple of generations, even where initiating parent had passed on. Some of the women in my ancestral family (now I'm talking 30s through 50s onwards for some time) were given houses as a form of independence to either live in if single or to rent out when married as a personal independent income. Marian's mother would likely have had property to rely on for some extra income as a widow, and Marian might have grown up with a particular awareness of this as a reasonably reliable form of steady modest income, whilst having the asset of the property at the end of the day.

I think this was it with Marian. When asked by her colleagues in mainstream print media why she invested in Mespil apartments in 1992 her response was that RTE didnt pay a pension as it doesnt for its independent contractors. Marian had other properties( not that theres anything wrong with that) apart from the Mespil apartment. However, I find it incredible that she was not aware of the history of Mespil Apartments prior to her purchase thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Radio5 wrote: »

Makes sense so. The pre-63 properties can make an excellent investment.

Advertisement