Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Marian Finucane

Options
  • 02-01-2020 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,376 ✭✭✭✭

Marian Finucane has passed away aged 69 RIP.

One of the Countries finest broadcasters will be sadly missed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

In all fairness she was one of the best, got a bit of a shock when I read it having listened to her fairly recently.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Grew up with her voice. Learned a lot.

Arguably the person who brought issues to the consciousness of a great many of the People of Ireland which they might never have considered otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

She was one of the best but a lifetime as an unrepentant smoker has caught up with her

• Registered Users Posts: 85,410 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh Jesus. That is a shock. One of the finest broadcasters to ever grace this country. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

F

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

RTE loses another of their long time personalities 2 months after Gay Byrne died. First big name death of the new decade at least in an Irish context. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Her tv documentary on the life and passing of Nuala O'Faoliean was as poignant and beautiful a documentary RTE have ever produced. I hope they show it in honour of her and her friend Nuala's memory. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Gael23 wrote: »
    She was one of the best but a lifetime as an unrepentant smoker has caught up with her

As no cause of death has been announced, we don't know that. People, even heavy smokers, can die suddenly for all sorts of reasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Shocked. She was a pioneer for women on the radio. When I was a child (in the 80s), I actually thought women weren't allowed to be DJs.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Very sad she was a brilliant communicator and maybe should have got a chance at the Late Late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

Mod: Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭McGrath5

So sad to hear of her passing, weekend mornings just won’t be the same. Sure, the show wasn’t perfect by any stretch but it had a certain genuineness to it, real loss to broadcasting. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Give it a rest.

You do know that non smokers die too right?

"Unrepentant." You sound like a jackass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Very sad. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭LuciX

FAMLEE wrote: »
    Mod: Banned.

What's that? Mod: Banned?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

LuciX wrote:
    What's that? Mod: Banned?!

FAMLEE left many nasty comments across several RIP threads. My guess is that a MOD deleted a nasty comment & replaced it with the information that FAMLEE has been banned. That's how I read it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Just listening back to her, fantastic moving and harrowing interview, with Nuala O'Faolain. Brilliant broadcasting. Wonderful to have to listen back to. Marian came across as sympathetic in a sincere way. O'Faolain was brilliant too. Dignified poised and eloquent. Sad to think they are both gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭sporina

watching the doc now on RTE 1 - what age is John Clarke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

sporina wrote: »
    watching the doc now on RTE 1 - what age is John Clarke?

Mid 80s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Mid 80s

What does/did he do for a living?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Very sad listening to the retelling about Sinead , their daughter. Heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Azatadine wrote: »
    Very sad listening to the retelling about Sinead , their daughter. Heartbreaking.

Also a very heartwarming documentary. Top class from RTÉ and I don’t often concede that!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Odeta wrote: »
    Think he could have been involved in horses

Sheep farming, and previously involved in an advertising agency, according to some coverage over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,149 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have said it before, RTE do a good doc.

Really enjoyable, and an interesting life and woman.

Its only when you see the poor quality of reporters and presenters now, do you realise just how good Marian was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Clue Girl

Excellent programme. Got a very personal portrayal of Marian. The moments dealing with her daughter Sinéad’s death tugged at the heart. She was an excellent presenter and is greatly missed on our airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

A compelling doc, the black & white was so effective I was mesmerised by John’s recollections. So sad they didn’t get more time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

My mother died from cardiac arrest at 65, she was a heavy-ish smoker but the post mortem suggested this had nothing to do with her death, it was other issues related to heart disease that had gone undetected [in fairness, probably because docs would just put everything down to the fact she did smoke and was always up front about it]

My mother died from cardiac arrest at 65, she was a heavy-ish smoker but the post mortem suggested this had nothing to do with her death, it was other issues related to heart disease that had gone undetected [in fairness, probably because docs would just put everything down to the fact she did smoke and was always up front about it]

Marian had just returned from travel and autopsy showed pneumonia. We have to remember Covid testing wasn't done then, and she would by several counts have been high risk. It will never be known if it was a factor, but can't be discounted either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Marian had just returned from travel and autopsy showed pneumonia. We have to remember Covid testing wasn't done then, and she would by several counts have been high risk. It will never be known if it was a factor, but can't be discounted either.

Smoking and pneumonia are certainly not a good mix, but I know as an ex smoker that it's one of the first questions you're asked for any check up. If you say you smoke they tick a box and then try relate everything to this. Of course it doesn't mean smoking wasn't a factor here, but may not have been at the same time. Either way, RIP, she was oft part of our back drop growing up, very familiar voice

Advertisement