Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    I dont think the Fitbit are really accurate. Have a Garmin watch, got it from one of the kids. The fitbit added on steps when I'm driving the tractor or digger. Vary from 10k to 30k steps a day here. A good few days I'd have more steps than eldest lad who runs every evening

Yeah, bringing in the cows really upped my step count on my phone despite doing it on the tractor. Switched it off once I figured that out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭straight

Tried out the wife's Fitbit here one day. Clocked up 50k while using a kango.... my phone has me between 20 and 30k steps most days. Taking it a bit easier these days so I'm below 20k. Will all the walking come back to haunt us I wonder through wear and tear?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

_Brian wrote: »
    Buy another van.
    I recently bought a Peugeot Partner, but I’m planning to buy a large van and convert it into a 4 berth camper.
    Not sure what yet, Boxer-Ducato-Expert-Sprinter are all on the mix.

Go for a low loader luton Brian. Still come in under 3,5 tonnes....would work a peach

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

straight wrote: »
    Will all the walking come back to haunt us I wonder through wear and tear?

I don't get all this fitness craic. My own thoughts are it's becoming a drug and obsession to some people and probably a consequence of the social media age of showing off yourself for the vindication of others. These fitbit things are just compounding the issue in bringing out the competitive side and needing to always do one better.

There's lads out pounding the roads at God knows what hour in God knows what weather. For no financial reward just that they are so absorbed in it that they can't stop.

My own father worked in a Mart as a drover pounding the concrete all day. He ended up fit but a broken man in his fifties with bad hips. The eejits even used to have hurdle races over the calf pens.
    It's terrible looking at him now with the hips and bones giving trouble.
    I really wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I don't get all this fitness craic. My own thoughts are it's becoming a drug and obsession to some people and probably a consequence of the social media age of showing off yourself for the vindication of others. These fitbit things are just compounding the issue in bringing out the competitive side and needing to always do one better.

There's lads out pounding the roads at God knows what hour in God knows what weather. For no financial reward just that they are so absorbed in it that they can't stop.

My own father worked in a Mart as a drover pounding the concrete all day. He ended up fit but a broken man in his fifties with bad hips. The eejits even used to have hurdle races over the calf pens.

I agree with that, especially the social media aspect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I suppose to each there own but I do have to wonder when I see individuals running up and down the road in the dark morning and evening. I agree about the concrete being severe on the joints and tarmac can't be much better. It always amuses me in the mart office when the women are comparing Fitbit results over the week and are so proud to have beaten the 10k daily average. I started laughing one day and they asked to see the step counter on my phone. This was Saturday evening after three busy sale day's and I'd clocked up over 35,000 steps that day and much the same the two previous day's. My weekly average was almost twice there's despite the fact I usually try to avoid walking as much as possible the rest of the week. What really pissed them off was the fact that all those steps were taken in dealer boot's and wellies without any runner's or Lycra "fitness gear" in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I know where brother in law works they did a step challenge for a few weeks. Some of the people hadn't even been doing 1000 steps a day before the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I know where brother in law works they did a step challenge for a few weeks. Some of the people hadn't even been doing 1000 steps a day before the challenge.

1500 cows on a rotary could vary in 3500-4000 steps and 400 odd cows on a 36 herringbone would be around 3000 steps on the phone here, not sure how accurate it is. Just looked back to one day where im fairly sure i only milked on the herringbone in the evening and it says id did 2.64km ill see how much kms the rotary is tomorrow if im not fetching the cows

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I've a Garmin watch on the whole time. Records steps, sleep, etc. I like it but I'm a bit of a data nerd anyway so the more numbers and graphs the better! I do running as well, though this is going to be my last year of taking it anyway seriously with a training plan and running different events. It will be my 3rd year at it (it's not competitive, I got into it at work during lunch and found it great for clearing the head. Then signed up to a few halfs and the Dublin marathon the last few years). Where it gets competitive is on a site called Strava where you can see your times on different routes, roads and parts thereof. The competitive ****e kicks in then to go better than someone else, or I can't run slower because the lads will slag me :D

We're gone wildly off topic in this thread now!

PS: Driving the tractor is a great job for getting your steps up. The watches pick up on the vibration or the simple act of turning the wheel. Hit 100k steps a few times last summer when I would barely have done 500!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

User to do a good bit of road/field runnin in the evenings but my knee wont allow me any high distances anymore. I'm over 15st and 6 4 so now I do more intense workouts such as boxing and a bit of hurling as time and joints dont allow plodding. It's hard to go running and golfing for a few hours when ye have kids. So workouts now are short and intense. In general I dip a stone in spring and put it back on in winter. Good for the mind more than anything I think
    As I'm outside I dont mind indoor workouts, so they guys out running the roads are probably the opposite

• Advertisement

I've a Garmin watch on the whole time. Records steps, sleep, etc. I like it but I'm a bit of a data nerd anyway so the more numbers and graphs the better! I do running as well, though this is going to be my last year of taking it anyway seriously with a training plan and running different events. It will be my 3rd year at it (it's not competitive, I got into it at work during lunch and found it great for clearing the head. Then signed up to a few halfs and the Dublin marathon the last few years). Where it gets competitive is on a site called Strava where you can see your times on different routes, roads and parts thereof. The competitive ****e kicks in then to go better than someone else, or I can't run slower because the lads will slag me :D

We're gone wildly off topic in this thread now!

PS: Driving the tractor is a great job for getting your steps up. The watches pick up on the vibration or the simple act of turning the wheel. Hit 100k steps a few times last summer when I would barely have done 500!

What do you think of these new nike runners? New pbs all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What do you think of these new nike runners? New pbs all around.

Was just reading about them earlier.
    Aparantly the ones in development which will be given to select athletes as an advantage to qualify for Tokyo to represent Nike, they give a runner an 8% advantage over the rivals runners.

Similar to the full body skins in swimming, seems the world body are looking to implement rules to prevent too much assistance from them.

It's not your own pb though. It's an unfair advantage over everyone else.

It's not your own pb though. It's an unfair advantage over everyone else.

Yea, plus we now have companies manipulating who qualifies for the Olympics just to represent them.

The progression in sports is mad.
    At her peak my daughter at 16 was on the Ulster squad swimming, she was recording times in training that would have won medals at the Olympics in the 1970’s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

straight wrote: »
    Tried out the wife's Fitbit here one day. Clocked up 50k while using a kango.... my phone has me between 20 and 30k steps most days. Taking it a bit easier these days so I'm below 20k. Will all the walking come back to haunt us I wonder through wear and tear?

A lad here in his 70's now was big into running in the 80s etc. He ran in his fields while all the rest of his clubmates etc trained on roads. He was saying all the others got new knees, hips etc bar him as the ground had a bit of give in it

enricoh wrote: »
    A lad here in his 70's now was big into running in the 80s etc. He ran in his fields while all the rest of his clubmates etc trained on roads. He was saying all the others got new knees, hips etc bar him as the ground had a bit of give in it

It’s about balance, just like every other aspect of life.
    A friend of mine in his mid 40’s took up running and dropped 3 stone. It was a massive achievement.
    Then he pushed to do a few marathons.

Then he pushed to do back to back marathons over weekends.

Then the ultra events, last man standing etc.

All over 3-4 years.

Then his joints gave way. He can’t run much at all now and has regained much of the weight. If he’d stick to moderate running he probably would have been fine.

alps wrote: »
    Go for a low loader luton Brian. Still come in under 3,5 tonnes....would work a peach

Too bulky and people are reporting about 10mpg less compared to a converted panel van, on a long drive that’s 30% more fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Too bulky and people are reporting about 10mpg less compared to a converted panel van, on a long drive that’s 30% more fuel.

colm_mcm has a thread over on Projects and Builds forum of his Ducato camper conversion. He also has an older thread on a low roof Transit conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

2019 was an interesting year at home

Plans for 2020 are as follows
    Farm:
    Keep going with the conversion
    Get plenty of hands on experience
    Talk to people who will give me a straight answer and not the answer I want to hear.
    Get handy at pouring concrete, taking levels and following plans.
    Dont spend money on unnecessary things for the farm.

Personal:
    Keep going to the gym and go back playing a team sport. I sprained my ankle in November and I'm still not fully recovered.
    Cut back on the alcohol i drink on nights out
    Take a few more short breaks with the girlfriend
    Keep in touch with friends that are near and far away.
    Look after my own mental health, 2020 will be a busy year and I don't want my own mental health to suffer because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

Simplify things here, put a lot of money into the farm last few years, so pay back time.
    Realistically the day job is where I need to put more effort into, so try to stop taking days off for farming.
    Cut stock & in turn less inputs

• Advertisement

Booked a boliday for 2020, suppose ill have to do it now.

Better living everyone

Where are you going?

For many years now we use the Christmas break to book summer holidays. Something to look forward to and it’s handy to pay off bits as the year goes along.

Where you planning?

For many years now we use the Christmas break to book summer holidays. Something to look forward to and it’s handy to pay off bits as the year goes along.

Where you planning?

New Zealand well i half booked it have an open dated kiwi experience ticket bought in the new years sale, i was heading over to visit a friend before for a weekend before i headed home but it looks like i could stretch a month out of it yet, no panic on now and it was as cheap as renting the car for a few days aswell and i havent to worry about RBTs or speed cameras either.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

New Zealand well i half booked it have an open dated kiwi experience ticket bought in the new years sale, i was heading over to visit a friend before for a weekend before i headed home but it looks like i could stretch a month out of it yet, no panic on now and it was as cheap as renting the car for a few days aswell and i havent to worry about RBTs or speed cameras either.

Did the kiwi experience 20 years ago and it was mad then, some craic but partying ever night would leave you worse for wear..

jfh wrote: »
    Did the kiwi experience 20 years ago and it was mad then, some craic but partying ever night would leave you worse for wear..

Ah id be hoping to take it easy for some of it these big farms and big sessions in the cities have an old man made of me 😂

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One thing for sure is you'll fatten. You could go into the roughest looking joint on the outside and the food would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

Have a few bits of plans for the new year myself:

Continuing with the Organic farming, was very lucky to be accepted into the scheme but have a few bits in the yard and the crush to sort out yet.

Starting a new course on organic market gardening this month, I know very little about growing things but you have to start somewhere. My idea would be to sell locally to pubs and restaurants during the summer as a sideline. My current commute to work is nearly 40 mins for handy money so that has to stop in the near future.

Hopefully going to get a couple of rare breed cattle aswell at some point, either Droimeann or Irish Moiled (or both!)

Had thought to grow some hemp as an experiment but I'm kind of limited as to where I can plant it due to GLAS areas that I can't touch. The current LIPP area will be growing some in 2022 all going well!

Aside from that I want to look into an area for some agroforestry and to plant a few hedgerows aswell.

I also want to put up a box in the slatted shed for a barn owl to live in to keep rodents away. I heard one in the distance on Christmas Eve so thankfully they are in the area!

The usual festivals are booked off for 2020 aswell though maybe a short bit of a holiday later in the year might be on order too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

endainoz wrote: »
    Have a few bits of plans for the new year myself:

Continuing with the Organic farming, was very lucky to be accepted into the scheme but have a few bits in the yard and the crush to sort out yet.

Starting a new course on organic market gardening this month, I know very little about growing things but you have to start somewhere. My idea would be to sell locally to pubs and restaurants during the summer as a sideline. My current commute to work is nearly 40 mins for handy money so that has to stop in the near future.

Hopefully going to get a couple of rare breed cattle aswell at some point, either Droimeann or Irish Moiled (or both!)

Had thought to grow some hemp as an experiment but I'm kind of limited as to where I can plant it due to GLAS areas that I can't touch. The current LIPP area will be growing some in 2022 all going well!

Aside from that I want to look into an area for some agroforestry and to plant a few hedgerows aswell.

I also want to put up a box in the slatted shed for a barn owl to live in to keep rodents away. I heard one in the distance on Christmas Eve so thankfully they are in the area!

The usual festivals are booked off for 2020 aswell though maybe a short bit of a holiday later in the year might be on order too.
    Just be careful about investing too much time and money into growing organic veg without having an outlet. Most restaurants will buy from the same supplier who can ensure consistent supply all year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

Base price wrote: »
    Just be careful about investing too much time and money into growing organic veg without having an outlet. Most restaurants will buy from the same supplier who can ensure consistent supply all year round.

Thanks for the advice but most food outlets in my area open seasonally, so year round supply is not much of an issue. Very early days though, will do the course first to lay the foundation and will see then.

Advertisement