Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

A lot more plastic used though i tbink it works out to about $2/bale for plastic here in a tube thats roughly €1-€1.20. I understand the rooting around paddocks part too this a very wet farm here (self inflicted) with black peaty soils but the paddocks seem to recover fairly well from all the rooting around out here.

One big pit for dry cow silage ,and 3 long barrow pits with walls for milkers silage/maize/moist grain/beet/hulls mix would be high on my wish list and not a bale to be seen l

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    One big pit for dry cow silage ,and 3 long barrow pits with walls for milkers silage/maize/moist grain/beet/hulls mix would be high on my wish list and not a bale to be seen l

4 pits to cover and strip then each to there own its just not my cup of tea.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Been fecking around with bales all winter so far, handy to get small amounts of grass off and buffering a bit but with mj on this, a large pit for main cuts and then narrower pits for surplus/ maize etc. would be the ideal. Pits that can be opened from each side would be preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Plan for 2020. Nurse 7 acres of wildflowers.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

blue5000 wrote: »
    Farm;
    Forestry has to get it's first thinning towards the end of the year
    Re-seed 12 acres with a red clover rye grass mix
    Family;
    Get a new passport and do a bit of travelling
    Self;
    Look after the health a bit better than I've been doing.

Have you any concerns about bloat from the clover or how do you plan to deal with it?

• Advertisement

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Plan for 2020. Nurse 7 acres of wildflowers.

Will you be grazing the wildflowers? Sorrel, Ragged Robin and Marsh Marigold wasnt it from your other thread? How did your decide on those flowers? What is the plan for this?
    From your posts it seems you will have a beautiful place when it will gets established. I'd love to see some photos in your other thread when summer comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,129 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If he mainly cuts it for silage, it won't be a problem.
    Funkey, I think seeing alt uses, less mainstream for land would be a nice thread. Some very innovative people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Will you be grazing the wildflowers? Sorrel, Ragged Robin and Marsh Marigold wasnt it from your other thread? How did your decide on those flowers? What is the plan for this?
    From your posts it seems you will have a beautiful place when it will gets established. I'd love to see some photos in your other thread when summer comes around.

Tnks. Yeah those wildflowers are for an acre of wetland meadow. The other acres is a different mixture suited to a drier area. ( Can't think of-hand the seed mixture)
    Can't graze as have saplings but will do hay/sileage after seeds have set. Have a mower/collector of weather is too bad.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have you any concerns about bloat from the clover or how do you plan to deal with it?

Have a bit already, always cut it for silage, but after 4 years it's almost gone. So getting a fresh bit in now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Tnks. Yeah those wildflowers are for an acre of wetland meadow. The other acres is a different mixture suited to a drier area. ( Can't think of-hand the seed mixture)
    Can't graze as have saplings but will do hay/sileage after seeds have set. Have a mower/collector of weather is too bad.

Would you consider some Shropshire sheep as they don't eat the trees?
    Have just planted a large number of native trees here and may get some in future to graze down between the trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

tanko wrote: »
    By leasing some land out are you not worried about losing some of your single farm payment under the the new CAP?

I’m just curious as to what you basing this on? Has something being decided that you’l be out of cap if you lease or is there reference years??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Been fecking around with bales all winter so far, handy to get small amounts of grass off and buffering a bit but with mj on this, a large pit for main cuts and then narrower pits for surplus/ maize etc. would be the ideal. Pits that can be opened from each side would be preferable.

Just finished up feeding 550 bales and have opened the pit and all i can say is ahhhhhh.i estimate that the bales hve cost me about 3 working(39hours)weeks over the past 2 months.i got someone to draw in the finish-probaly another fiver a bale.silage in bales was handled 7 times for bales as opposed to 4 with wagon
    1 mowing
    2baliing
    3drawing to stack
    4 stacking
    5loading on to trailer
    6unloading trailer
    7 putting out to cows.
    Nevermind the knifing and gathering wrap and net.
    The big hidden cost in bales is the labour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

K.G. wrote: »
    Just finished up feeding 550 bales and have opened the pit and all i can say is ahhhhhh.i estimate that the bales hve cost me about 3 working(39hours)weeks over the past 2 months.i got someone to draw in the finish-probaly another fiver a bale.silage in bales was handled 7 times for bales as opposed to 4 with wagon
    1 mowing
    2baliing
    3drawing to stack
    4 stacking
    5loading on to trailer
    6unloading trailer
    7 putting out to cows.
    Same as turf :D

1 lifting
    2 turning
    3 loading into the trailer

4 unloading off the trailer

5 filling the bucket/scuttle for the fire

6 throwing them into the fire
    7 carrying the ashes from the grate

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

1 mowing
    2baliing
    3drawing to stack
    4 stacking
    5loading on to trailer
    6unloading trailer
    7 putting out to cows.

I am buying in bales delivered at the moment. Takes alot of the hassle out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

1 mowing
    2baliing
    3drawing to stack
    4 stacking
    5loading on to trailer
    6unloading trailer
    7 putting out to cows.
    One week of bales left to feed here then its into the pit.
    Will be back feeding bales once cows start calving though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote: »
    I am buying in bales delivered at the moment. Takes alot of the hassle out of them

Good winter to buy them if you know they're good.
    Iv bought 'first cut ' dung before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

visatorro wrote: »

Hence the name ''lucky bags''

It's good stuff. All reseeded ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

1 mowing
    2baliing
    3drawing to stack
    4 stacking
    5loading on to trailer
    6unloading trailer
    7 putting out to cows.

all very true... however i think cows perform better when on bales.... just my unscientific observation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Base price wrote: »
    Same as turf :D

1 lifting
    2 turning
    3 loading into the trailer

4 unloading off the trailer

5 filling the bucket/scuttle for the fire

6 throwing them into the fire
    7 carrying the ashes from the grate

Bollox to turf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Cutting timber is much the same. Cutting down on the handling is the key.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

It's a bit like doing grocery shopping.
    Put ths stuff in the trolley
    Put the stuff on the belt
    Put it back in the trolley
    Put it in the car
    Take it out of the car
    Put it away...

wrangler wrote: »
    Hence the name ''lucky bags''

I rang baling contractor and asked who would have good bales for sale. He would know

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ah surely my bales weren't that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I rang baling contractor and asked who would have good bales for sale. He would know

Clever

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

One week of bales left to feed here then its into the pit.
    Will be back feeding bales once cows start calving though
    Why back to bales
    I purposely fed the bales before Christmas, so as to be messing around with cows calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

You’re a cute one/ That’s a good way to get a no nonsense answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Why back to bales
    I purposely fed the bales before Christmas, so as to be messing around with cows calving.

My best silage is in bales, ended up with 200 bales of poor quality stuff in bales that we fed to drys

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

It's a bit like doing grocery shopping.
    Put ths stuff in the trolley
    Put the stuff on the belt
    Put it back in the trolley
    Put it in the car
    Take it out of the car
    Put it away...

I hate grocery shopping, next day teenagers telling u there's nothing to eat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I hate grocery shopping, next day teenagers telling u there's nothing to eat

I hate it too. Herself does Tesco online now most weeks. Saves an awful lot of hassle especially with young ones.

Advertisement