Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anybody spending Christmas Day on your own?

Options
  • 22-12-2019 10:46am

Curious to see are there others here like myself. I live with the cat (hence my username!) and am very content in my own company, and that of the cat who is a most sociable and funny little creature. Most years I either spend Christmas Day and overnight with cousins, who live mostly fairly distant from me. However, this year there is quite literally no room at the Inns in my cousins’ abodes to overnight, what with increases in their family sizes: children now back in Ireland, Grand-kids, new in-laws, some unwell, etc. I got invitations to have Christmas dinner on the day, but would have to drive the distance home after, and not have a glass or two of wine. So I decided to spend the day at home in my apartment with the cat.

I am going to do myself a very nice Christmas lunch. Have a full breakfast, go to Mass, switch on all my lovely lights, which some regard as a bit ott and tasteless :D The balcony is lit blue and white, the tree is lit white and red, there are numerous little trees lit up, a candle bridge and lantern in the front window. Roasting a goose breast from Lidl, with red cabbage & cranberries, sprouts, potatoes, homemade chestnut & walnut stuffing, homemade apple & clove sauce. Sticky toffee pud, I think, will be dessert. I’ll have champagne and nice coffee to keep me awake after. Will be in touch wit all through WhatsApp etc.

Next day, with public transport, will be going for a fine lunch to one of the cousin’s houses. She’s a terrific cook as are all my relatives. A few days later I’ll be hosting the annual party I have in my apartment, which always goes down well. All going well I’ll be having a very nice Christmas indeed.

Anybody else doing similar, or perhaps much less selflessly than me, helping with a homeless (etc) charity? Or just staying quiet and having as ordinary a day as possible and pretending it’s not Christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I have spend Christmas alone numerous times. I used to get a takeaway in Christmas Eve (like an Indian ) or something I really enjoy . I would heat it up on Christmas Day , have a glass or two of wine and watch some non Christmassy film or read a book.

It sounds like you have a lovely Christmas planned, enjoy the time alone with you cat and with your relations.

For anyone who is lonely this Christmas (and I need to remember this myself), log on here as I am sure there will be people on it throughout the day, it will be over soon and it will be the start of a new year.
    Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

I have spent the last five Christmasses on my own. I don’t mind it too much after a busy work year and look forward to the peace. I start the day with a good long early walk with the dogs, the best on a frosty cold morning. Then back home, light the fire and just chill with good food, snacks, some good reading that has been waiting for me and maybe a good film. I have no fear of the day on my own, it’s just another day and circumstances have decreed it to be a solitary one. This year I have been kindly invited to share a traditional Christmas lunch at midday with a large group of lovely people which I will accept with gratitude. But I will still look forward to getting home that evening and enjoying a big bowl of home made chana masala with flat bread and a cold beer, with a dog or two sharing the sofa. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I did a few years ago. I had a brilliant day. Made my own food, watched tv , and danced around the house to disco tunes. Lovely.

I love traveling and investigating how Christmas is in various places overseas. The first time I spent Christmas out of Iteland, indeed out of Dublin, was in Guernsey, when a widower (with a persona like Bruce Forsyth) on the island ran an amazing 2 star hotel to keep himself occupied, and offered a bargain 5 night Christmas special that worked out cheaper than the equivalent anywhere in Ireland, including flights. He threw in car hire, bus passes into town, all sorts of perks.

Since that, we spent Christmases in Edinburgh (where 84 year old Mum first and once met her UK born powerfully strong 96 year old cousin), Cork, Tenerife & Lanzarote.

After she died (in full harness) aged 89 in 2009, I have spent lovely Christmases with cousins, but have also ventured abroad on solo Christmases. First was to Lake Garda on a Travel Department solo, but I hate cheese, and guess what, the turkey came with cheese sauce! Best thing was jumping into the cold lake and having a laugh with the locals!

I did a solo trip to a beautifully located all-inclusive hotel by Papagayo in Lanzarote, and it was great. Last year I took a Hurtigruten voyage from Bergen to Kirkenes, where I spent one night in the Snow Hotel! I highly recommend a Hurtigruten voyage at Christmas. The amazing thing was that the west coast of Norway just short of the Arctic Circle is mild and rarely gets snow, and it quickly turns to slush when that happens. The Gulf Stream is felt strongly. Norway is a perfect Christmas destination and Hurtigruten has great food, providing both the traditional and distinct Norwegian dinner on the Eve, and the British/Irish/American turkey on the Day. Drink is not cheap, best sneak on the duty free, but the mulled wine is freely supplied late afternoon/evening. Along with the traditional biscuits. Lots of solo people on those ships, and it can work out cheaper than Canaries.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You’re never alone on Christmas Day when you have all of us here on the Christmas forum.

If anyone ever finds them selves alone or bored on Christmas Day or any day really my PMs are always open. I’m always around for chats :)

• Advertisement

^^^^^we can even post visitor messages on your profile wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rub a Dub

OP your Xmas day sounds great. That would be my dream day (apart from cat & mass),
    but it's not going to happen. Instead I'll spend the day shouting at a load of kids, trying to be referee.
    And goose is something I'd love to have for Xmas dinner but when I've mentioned it to the family in the past that it might be a nice change from T&H, I get looked at as if I have two heads. So I gave up on the idea...
    Enjoy your day!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Almost. Myself and the other half will be spending the day having the ultimate day off. No turkey. No big job of cooking. Pizza for dinner, and just hang about for the day. Maybe go for a stroll. Maybe a drive. Visiting nobody and nobody coming round.

What’s odd/funny is the number of people who just don’t get that we’re not interested. Any number of variations of “yeah but what christmassy stuff will you be doing?”. More than one “Sure come round to ours for the dinner. Ah go on. Ye will. Sure it’s christmas!” All well-intentioned I’m sure, but kind of funny. We’re just not into it. We hosted my family last year, and while on the face of it it looked ‘lovely’, it was a pain in the hole.

Not being grinchy. Just not our thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

No....but by god there are enough days I wish i was on my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Motdyeah

Living abroad For the last five months and only started feeling home sick the last week.

Christmas on my own for the first time, gonna miss the fun with friends and family back home.
    Got my food shopping done today and got myself a nice steak for Xmas dinner.

I’m home in January for two weeks which eases it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

I'll be spending the 36 hours from 9am on Christmas Eve until 9pm on Christmas Day travelling down the west coast of the USA from Seattle to LA, I just love long train trips.

I'm interested to see what sort of people my fellow passengers will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes; happily and contentedly alone. For many years now. Well, apart from six cats who keep me …. occupied!

There were many years for me after the last of my family died. that I knew the sheer desolate loneliness of being alone in the world at a time when it seemed everyone ese was with family and full of life lived fully.

Because it is a family time, loneliness strikes hardest then .

Once or twice I tried an event for the alone etc but being among total strangers? And the going home to the aloneness? Ay me. In Orkney some of us aloners where gathered in to a family meal and that was lovely... But then the deep lonely silence.

Somewhere I adjusted and accepted and started to revel in it all again. The reality of Christmas when not chasing someone else's rainbow. Christmas for everyone wherever and however.

Now I love it. Gather Christmas close to my soul. All the glorious foods and frills. Love cooking.... Lights and carols; decorations.. The music. Firelight and candle light. The deep silence of the island. Ancient peace. An intensity that aloneness deepens

And this year no hype as I am house and islandbound and this has made it all very special.

Here for anyone ; have I think managed to reopen my pms. My tech skills are .. well they went awol….

marko99 wrote: »
    I'll be spending the 36 hours from 9am on Christmas Eve until 9pm on Christmas Day travelling down the west coast of the USA from Seattle to LA, I just love long train trips.

I'm interested to see what sort of people my fellow passengers will be!

When I moved house from Cornwall to Orkney. I took the overnight train from London to the furthest north it went. There was a couple on the train who used to do the trip frequently as you are doing this one. ENJOY!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I did once in 1990. Well it wasn't Christmas Day but it was close to it.
    Woke up one morning and nobody in the house with me. Had a great day.
    Granted there were a few guys trying to break into the house but that was good fun.
    Oh to be an 8 year old again.
    Kevin

In all seriousness - best wishes to all this Christmas whether you are with your family, or on your ownsome - whatever works. Just to have the downtime is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

On my own again, had a few invites but to be honest I prefer the day alone. No worries about falling out with anyone, no fighting over the remote, no being dragged out of bed at an ungodly hour, no stress of slapping on a smile for the sake of it. In the last decade or so, I've done 4 with family or friends, and 6 to 8 alone, much prefer the peace alone.

I've got a goose in the oven (I expect I'll be eating it until Easter!), have all the trimmings in, looking forward to an excellent meal tomorrow.

A few presents in the corner waiting to be opened, no decorations up at all except a handful of cards.

It's been nice having a few days away from the study, catching up with friends and exchanging gifts.

I'll probably spend the day in front of the tv and chatting on various messengers with friends to see how their days are.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yes; happily and contentedly alone. For many years now. Well, apart from six cats who keep me …. occupied!

There were many years for me after the last of my family died. that I knew the sheer desolate loneliness of being alone in the world at a time when it seemed everyone ese was with family and full of life lived fully.

Because it is a family time, loneliness strikes hardest then .

Once or twice I tried an event for the alone etc but being among total strangers? And the going home to the aloneness? Ay me. In Orkney some of us aloners where gathered in to a family meal and that was lovely... But then the deep lonely silence.

Somewhere I adjusted and accepted and started to revel in it all again. The reality of Christmas when not chasing someone else's rainbow. Christmas for everyone wherever and however.

Now I love it. Gather Christmas close to my soul. All the glorious foods and frills. Love cooking.... Lights and carols; decorations.. The music. Firelight and candle light. The deep silence of the island. Ancient peace. An intensity that aloneness deepens

And this year no hype as I am house and islandbound and this has made it all very special.

Here for anyone ; have I think managed to reopen my pms. My tech skills are .. well they went awol….

You are on Orkney?

Know it fairly well, been there several times in summer. Was there in teens, then brought friends when I was 20, and later brought my mother in her mid 80s, when she was very impressed at public conveniences being available in remotest places. Being an artist she loved the colours when the sun would come out.

Only been to Shapinsay outside of the “bridged” islands, but being a bagger of islands I’ll get to more of them.

You are on Orkney?

Know it fairly well, been there several times in summer. Was there in teens, then brought friends when I was 20, and later brought my mother in her mid 80s, when she was very impressed at public conveniences being available in remotest places. Being an artist she loved the colours when the sun would come out.

Only been to Shapinsay outside of the “bridged” islands, but being a bagger of islands I’ll get to more of them.

I was indeed in Orkney for a decade. On one of the most isolated Northern Isles. Anything up to 2 hours by ferry depending on weather. Loved it.

Came to Ireland then and like you I have a passion for islands and finally found "home"

Was tempted by Shetland at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

@Graces7, I have to admit I have always found your posts wonderfully written with an amazing command of words. From reading your résumé here about solitary island living, I sense from that why you are able to harness the power of thought and experience, and express it so succinctly as you do. You really are a wordsmith!

A few years ago after a period of bereavement and work related burnout, I decided to make a journey to.the Scottish Highlands and the Western isles for some R&R. To say that being alone in such stunning beauty was therapeutic would be the greatest understatement of all time. It was a godsend, and better than anything a doctor could prescribe. I totally get the isolation, the lifestyle, the great sense of appreciation of ones surroundings, and the wonderful sense of peace it can bring. At the same time, it would be naïve not to square this with periods of isolation, loneliness, hardship and vulnerability this can follow with that. I greatly respect those who have the strength of character to live like this, be it by choice or circumstance and whether on an island or not. I wish you all a very happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Sounds wonderful OP. Merry Christmas !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I am spending tonight, tomorrow night and the night after on my own, due to my partner working in the health service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

2nd Christmas alone since end of LTR. Saw my brother, his missus and nephew and niece today for lunch and to give them their presents before they head to her parents in Cork for a few days. Heading to friends for drinks tonight then tomorrow I'll wake up when I want, make a nice breakfast (bought lovely rashers, sausages and pudding in FX Buckley earlier for this) and then make a roast dinner in the evening, I'm not a fan of Turkey/Ham so got a free range organic chicken instead. Will also try and get a stroll in the park if its not rainy. I do miss waking up beside someone on Christmas morning, but you have to keep going sure.

I'm working overtime on Stephens Day that I signed up for to keep me busy, and then back to work normally on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I did last year, was grand, even got out for a spin on the bike xmas night.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭brookers

goat2 wrote: »
    I am spending tonight, tomorrow night and the night after on my own, due to my partner working in the health service

Thank you to your partner....

Literally blushing! Thank you but undeserved as remote living is the only way of life I can cope with. Tried city, town, village... just not my scene. Hated it. Shudders!

Hardships are what YOU folk endure! Here is home. I know this is not so for many. Just is for me. I rejected many islands as they were too... busy..

This Advent and Christmas have been and are the most meaningful and happy of my entire long life.

Does not take strength of character; sure there are.. snags... lol... But always there is the peace and beauty. Life here is simple but we have all mod cons. The best internet cover I have ever had.

I know; the mere idea fills many with horror.. lol... Someone who has to come over frequently says he hates coming.. " If anything happens YOU CAN'T GET OFF! " In fact we will get to hospital by chopper faster in emergency than by road ambulance.

Definition of an islander; someone who panics at being stranded on the mainland but loves when we are cut off.. I got stranded once; horrible experience! Sat in the car at the pier watching the terrible waves as the car rocked and knew I was not going to get home. Shudders!

And I am never ever lonely. Nor feel isolated.

Just started my Christmas with Lessons and Carols from Kings and resting in it and in the windsong.

I do have books written.
    @Graces7, I have to admit I have always found your posts wonderfully written with an amazing command of words. From reading your résumé here about solitary island living, I sense from that why you are able to harness the power of thought and experience, and express it so succinctly as you do. You really are a wordsmith!

A few years ago after a period of bereavement and work related burnout, I decided to make a journey to.the Scottish Highlands and the Western isles for some R&R. To say that being alone in such stunning beauty was therapeutic would be the greatest understatement of all time. It was a godsend, and better than anything a doctor could prescribe. I totally get the isolation, the lifestyle, the great sense of appreciation of ones surroundings, and the wonderful sense of peace it can bring. At the same time, it would be naïve not to square this with periods of isolation, loneliness, hardship and vulnerability this can follow with that. I greatly respect those who have the strength of character to live like this, be it by choice or circumstance and whether on an island or not. I wish you all a very happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Curious to see are there others here like myself. I live with the cat (hence my username!) and am very content in my own company, and that of the cat who is a most sociable and funny little creature. Most years I either spend Christmas Day and overnight with cousins, who live mostly fairly distant from me. However, this year there is quite literally no room at the Inns in my cousins’ abodes to overnight, what with increases in their family sizes: children now back in Ireland, Grand-kids, new in-laws, some unwell, etc. I got invitations to have Christmas dinner on the day, but would have to drive the distance home after, and not have a glass or two of wine. So I decided to spend the day at home in my apartment with the cat.

I am going to do myself a very nice Christmas lunch. Have a full breakfast, go to Mass, switch on all my lovely lights, which some regard as a bit ott and tasteless :D The balcony is lit blue and white, the tree is lit white and red, there are numerous little trees lit up, a candle bridge and lantern in the front window. Roasting a goose breast from Lidl, with red cabbage & cranberries, sprouts, potatoes, homemade chestnut & walnut stuffing, homemade apple & clove sauce. Sticky toffee pud, I think, will be dessert. I’ll have champagne and nice coffee to keep me awake after. Will be in touch wit all through WhatsApp etc.

Next day, with public transport, will be going for a fine lunch to one of the cousin’s houses. She’s a terrific cook as are all my relatives. A few days later I’ll be hosting the annual party I have in my apartment, which always goes down well. All going well I’ll be having a very nice Christmas indeed.

Anybody else doing similar, or perhaps much less selflessly than me, helping with a homeless (etc) charity? Or just staying quiet and having as ordinary a day as possible and pretending it’s not Christmas?

That sounds amazing!!!

it is so peaceful, this solitude just now. A deep strong quietude Love is love whether those you love are physically with you.

At 8am here, midnight Canadian time, and wherever those we love are, a hands across the ocean prayer time .

Have a blessed day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Not on my own as such, but in hospital, and won't have any visitors. Family are too far away. It's grand. I know all the staff here and they are so so kind. And there's a few other patients on the ward here too, and the dining room is all set up for Christmas dinner with decorations and crackers and all the rest. There's certainly worse places one could be.

Third Christmas solo this year, bar another one or two back in my twenties when I was living abroad. Single, no close family left and lots of well-intentioned invitations from acquaintances to whom the thought of spending a Christmas alone is a fate worse than death (spoiler: it isn't!). I do the whole Christmas dinner, with music and movies, in my pyjamas and then eat Celebrations watching tv until I fall asleep on the sofa. I would of course love to have a special someone to spend the day with, and do wonder how I would be spending it if I had that, but I'm playing the hand I've been dealt and all things considered it's not a bad one.

Merry Christmas to you all, hope you have a great day doing exactly what you like just how you like it. It's better to be alone than in bad company...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Not on my own as such, but in hospital, and won't have any visitors. Family are too far away. It's grand. I know all the staff here and they are so so kind. And there's a few other patients on the ward here too, and the dining room is all set up for Christmas dinner with decorations and crackers and all the rest. There's certainly worse places one could be.

Oh no! I hope you are ok. Stay strong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭dontpanic

I love spending Christmas day alone. i always get various invites to join other people which is of course appreciated, but I just prefer having a nice cosy day in with good food and no expectation to be anywhere. I will say though I cannot stand invitations that come with "but you can't spend Christmas alone" - why the hell not?? I ask!

a couple of friends don't want to spend xmas with their family this year so I volunteered to host xmas lunch and oh my god the stress!! The running around finding presents, the cost of the food etc.

If anyone is looking for me next Christmas I'll be sitting on a beach somewhere with a cocktail in hand away from this madness.

Enjoy your day OP! Appreciate the calm :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement