Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster vs. Ulster, Friday 20th Dec, 19.35 (Eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1, DAZN))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Delighted with some of the individual performances from Leinster this evening, but also really encouraged by the fight shown by a young Ulster team.
    In previous years I feel Ulster would have just accepted defeat after the opening 30 minutes but they continued fighting until the end. McFarland has instilled a never say die attitude that was missing in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Clegg wrote: »
    They were push overs for 60 minutes. Leinster breezed through them for fun. I'd classify that as a rabble, yes.

Were Leinster under the impression that the game was an hour long?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Not impressed by Faddes at all tbh. Looks very slow. Liked Moore while he was on.

And he still outpaced RK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

jacothelad wrote: »
    Rabble? You think those young guys giving their all for Ulster are a 'rabble'? You shouldn't be so quick to show your 'class'.

Some of them gave their all. Others not so much.

Alternatively, if that level of performance was their best, then many of them just aren't going to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

From a Leinster pov McFadden and Kearney showed that they still have a role to play going forward. Fergus isn't very elusive, but he's ultra committed and will get you over the gainline on attack and out opposition players behind their gain line when he's defending.

But for Kearney, his future is strictly as a sub. His pace is gone. He looked like he was moving through a bog when trying to catch Faddes. Larmour has always had the speed and footwork to gas players on the outside. That was the big advantage over Kearney. But his ability under the high ball and positioning in defence was suspect. In recent weeks he has shown greater positional awareness and isn't getting caught out of position as often. That's what Kearney offered over Larmour and right now there doesn't seem to be much of a gap in ability between the two there either.

• Advertisement

Were Leinster under the impression that the game was an hour long?

That's entirely the point I've been making. They stopped playing after 60 and just gave up. It's not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

That's entirely the point I've been making. They stopped playing after 60 and just gave up. It's not good enough.

Rabble-like you might say. Shameful for Leinster even.

leakyboots wrote: »
    And he still outpaced RK!

Which is actually quite saddening. Kearney is one of our all time greats and seeing him struggling to make it around the pitch is awful.

That final quarter certainly was.

Mentally weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Which is actually quite saddening. Kearney is one of our all time greats and seeing him struggling to make it around the pitch is awful.

No he's now rabble (by your judgement) and the fact that he's hanging on to that central contract for dear life, is embarrassing for him and the other pensioners doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Any word on Curtis? Looked (and sounded) awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Any word on Curtis? Looked (and sounded) awful.

I'd imagine he'll be off for a scan etc after the swelling goes down. There's no way it's not a serious injury given the sounds he was making.

No he's now rabble (by your judgement) and the fact that he's hanging on to that central contract for dear life, is embarrassing for him and the other pensioners doing the same.

That's an interpretation certainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I'd imagine he'll be off for a scan etc after the swelling goes down. There's no way it's not a serious injury given the sounds he was making.

I stubbed my toe once and I made an awful noise as well :P:P:P

Hopefully it is nothing serious and he is back on a pitch very very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah here, lots of talk about that single incident and oddly none at all about the great cover across in the second half that saved a try. His performance wasnt that bad.

Talking of rabbles, the only rabble I saw out there today was Leinster in the last 30. Ulster were always outclassed on paper and looked it at times. Leinster were never outclassed on paper at all yet looked it at times. Really disappointing final 30 mins.

Ulster should be happy enough with that tbh. Some poor stuff such as Deegans second, but a lot of guys put their hands up. Leinster went out to do the job and did before heading home early. Not something we've seen from us this season so it almost felt like a step back. But 5 points is 5 points. 12 points clear is fantastic for this stage of the season with only 2 points from a possible 40 dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Mentally weak.

You certainly wouldn't expect it from Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Did Lyttle go off injured as per every game he plays?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Did Lyttle go off injured as per every game he plays?

Went off early in the second half I think. Didn't say what it was for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

To be honest most people complain about these interpro's. I loved watching the game tonight and it was a pity I cant get as regular to these games anymore. Can't wait till the season ticket is back.

It was great to see a group of young exciting players on both sides.

I was really impressed by both 10's today. Not sure why Munster didn't invest more time into Johnson, so far what I have seen of him is impressive.

H Byrne was very impressive.

Lots of plus's for both teams, incredible attacking rugby for both teams. Great start to Christmas period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not impressed by Faddes at all tbh. Looks very slow. Liked Moore while he was on.

I'm being patient with Faddes. He does some good things, but for an overseas player you expect more than a few flashes. As you say Moore impressed when he came on (albeit his "effort" for Deegans's try of the scrum won't make happy viewing next week in the review). I'd rather see us invest time in Moore.

bilston wrote: »
    I'm being patient with Faddes. He does some good things, but for an overseas player you expect more than a few flashes. As you say Moore impressed when he came on (albeit his "effort" for Deegans's try of the scrum won't make happy viewing next week in the review). I'd rather see us invest time in Moore.

You can make some allowances for young players. Moore will learn from it. Faddes is an experienced player though. He was highly touted upon his arrival but he hasn't lived up to it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You can make some allowances for young players. Moore will learn from it. Faddes is an experienced player though. He was highly touted upon his arrival but he hasn't lived up to it so far.

Look at what was said about Tomane last season. And even Lowe the season before.

Look at what was said about Tomane last season. And even Lowe the season before.

Circumstances are a bit different though. Tomane was injured for most of last season and struggled to adapt with very limited game time. And even when Lowe was struggling in defence he was still making a hugely positive impact in attack. In the games I've seen Faddes play he's struggling in every department. But like Bliston says, it may just be a case of showing patience until he settles.

Ulster team had 873 caps, Leinster 1,448. We had a sub-academy fullback, who played in this year's School Cup, come on at 24 minutes, and four young lads got their first cap. Did Allison end up playing on the wing? They came away with a losing bonus point. I'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Classy.
    Thanks. Not something of which you could be accused this evening. A rabble would have run away and waved a white flag.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Thanks. Not something of which you could be accused.

Even classier.

Well, a try bonus point, but you take my meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Ulster team had 873 caps, Leinster 1,448. We had a sub-academy fullback, who played in this year's School Cup, come on at 24 minutes, and four young lads got their first cap. Did Allison end up playing on the wing? They came away with a losing bonus point. I'll take it.

I haven't seen the game yet but if AA was on the wing it was no doubt a case of needs must but he is quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Nick Timoney was on the wing from memory

Advertisement