Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One for the legals

Options
13»

Comments

Or ... I'm curious about if the action was legal or not....and seeking the wisdom of those with legal training.

Why do you care what unqualified morons (as far as you know) think about this?

IrishPhotoDesk, I'm also a pro photographer (albeit haven't worked in courts/news stuff for a long time). Nobody is entitled to an image, nor have a right to one.

In a public place, you can photograph what you want, as you already know. However, a person can also make a reasonable effort to prevent the photo (so long as they don't break other laws in the process).

A solicitor giving someone a lift is not a legal thing. At most, perhaps you could argue it goes against a 'code of ethics' or the firms own policies or something like that, but you'd be grasping at straws and be ignored. The person getting the lift is paying the solicitor, and therefore has a working arrangement with them. No reason they can't travel to and from the court together to discuss the situation and go over things.

Doesn't necessarily have to be an effort to prevent the media getting to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm sure people would be up in arms if every person before the courts were shielded from the media.
    I’m sure the opposite. I’d be interested in the outcome, not the circus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

An interesting thread for several reasons. Lots of ruffled feathers as it appeared OP was looking for a way to cause trouble for a lawyer. Original query was answered and OP had more detail including meeting with Chief Justice!
    It’s conclusive that there is no law against it. But why on earth would a lawyer do it? The best response OP is actually your professional one. Let’s have a photograph of Mr X ( hopefully a suitably serious criminal) in the car being driven in a bus lane by Herbert Von Texasholdempokerface SC. If you could catch them laughing together it would be ideal. “Pictured leaving the 4 Courts yesterday was X the well known NNNNNNN sharing a joke with his brief Herbert Von Texasholdempokerface”. Happy snapping!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's Mr Herbert von Texasholdempokerface SC.

You will address him by his proper title, you little bollocks.

• Advertisement

It's Mr Herbert von Texasholdempokerface SC.

You will address him by his proper title, you little bollocks.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Frank Dunlop used to turn up for Tribunal hearing in Dublin castle in a chauffeur driven car. The car was provided by his barrister. there was never any issue made of the barrister doing such a thing.

Frank Dunlop used to turn up for Tribunal hearing in Dublin castle in a chauffeur driven car. The car was provided by his barrister. there was never any issue made of the barrister doing such a thing.

Was it billable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Without giving details of the case ... It was back today, Judge remonstrated barrister and case was thrown out, client didn't appear today.

Without giving details of the case ... It was back today, Judge remonstrated barrister and case was thrown out, client didn't appear today.

Did the judge reprimand the barrister? For what exactly?

• Advertisement

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Did the judge reprimand the barrister? For what exactly?

For behaviour in the courtroom and a legal issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

so nothing to do with giving somebody a lift?

so nothing to do with giving somebody a lift?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No

what a shock. i'm surprised the chief justice didnt have a word with the judge

what a shock. i'm surprised the chief justice didnt have a word with the judge

I don’t know what happened after meeting with Chief Justice and wasn’t in court for the case.

I don’t know what happened after meeting with Chief Justice and wasn’t in court for the case.

Ah here.

Advertisement