Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Google Nest Mini for Youtube Premium and Google Play Music Members

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Steve F wrote: »
    Why is it asking for card details when its FREE?

You need to have a card added to Google to get by checkout, it will not charge the card. This is the same for any e-commerce checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

Not working for me.. Dam! Says my account is not eligible for this offer.

I just signed up so mabe its something to do with the free premium trial period. I did give my card details... Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As mentioned in the first post of this thread. You need to be a subscriber as of December 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

bazz26 wrote: »
    As mentioned in the first post of this thread. You need to be a subscriber as of December 4th.
    On this does that include family members, as in they would have had to be on the account before the 4th?

That's my understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Steve F wrote: »
    Why is it asking for card details when its FREE?

Your details and access to your personal information are they payment for the device, which is probably older stock they're looking to shift before they release the next product.

You have to give access to most of your account information and details to use the device to full effect, which is where the money is at for Google.

There's also the fact if you click a google affiliated link, app store etc... game or app that you might like, your details are already ready available stored on the google secure servers to go ahead with whatever payment necessary

Would you give your payment details for an email? Nope, but a free device worth something, sure!

Kinda like a classic bate and switch, only more bate and convenience factor maybe? idk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Doesn't work for a trial YouTube premium subscription, and I guess no way to move from a trial to a paid sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Our two arrived today, thanks a million for the heads up EoinMcLovin

We had the gen 1 so we'll upgrade and donate those to my mum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

-=al=- wrote: »
    Your details and access to your personal information are they payment for the device, which is probably older stock they're looking to shift before they release the next product

It's a device that has currently been available for 8 weeks. It is not old stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I ordered one for myself fine, but when I tried to order one on my daughter's phone, I got the message that dependent's accounts are not eligible. Will try my wife's account tonight

I have so far on my Google Play Music Family Account ordered 4. Me, Wife, and 2 of the 3 kids, trying the last kid now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Got mine today and can confirm it's the 2nd generation Nest Mini. It will make a useful bedside Internet radio and much better sound than most clock radios. Nice that it can set a wake-up alarm on a specific day or date, something Android still can't do without relying on a third party App.

The only minor issue I've run into so far is trying to select a foreign station by voice. It usually plays something on YouTube music instead, often completely unrelated to even the radio station name. For example, when I tried asking it "play RTL die besten hits aller zeiten on TuneIn", it said "Playing Blurred Lines by German Naruto Fanfic on YouTube"... :P On the other hand, I can cast stations fine from TuneIn on my phone and still has the advantage of playing independent of the phone, unlike a Bluetooth speaker.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I have so far on my Google Play Music Family Account ordered 4. Me, Wife, and 2 of the 3 kids, trying the last kid now.

Managed to get the 5th free one on my youngest daughters gmail account, crazy they are giving 1 away for each member of a family subscription.

To avail of them use an incognito window and log into the relevant gmail account, of your up to 5 members, this account needs to be one used by each individual for the family Google play account, you should be using a different gmail account for each member, then click on this link and follow the instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

We got 4 also through the link provided in this thread...thank you!

Then today I got an official link from YouTube via email.

Do you think I can go again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

embraer170 wrote: »
    Doesn't work for a trial YouTube premium subscription, and I guess no way to move from a trial to a paid sub?

I'm on a Google Play Music trial and I got a popup in YouTube for the offer. Followed it through, and it's ordered and die to arrive in January. I'm amazed, free music and a free mini.

-=al=- wrote: »
    Your details and access to your personal information are they payment for the device, which is probably older stock they're looking to shift before they release the next product.

You have to give access to most of your account information and details to use the device to full effect, which is where the money is at for Google.

There's also the fact if you click a google affiliated link, app store etc... game or app that you might like, your details are already ready available stored on the google secure servers to go ahead with whatever payment necessary

Would you give your payment details for an email? Nope, but a free device worth something, sure!

Kinda like a classic bate and switch, only more bate and convenience factor maybe? idk :pac:

It’s the new Nest Mini version. Oops.

You can also opt out of anything you want, it’s extremely clear, but the tinfoil hatters don’t like to hear that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Cant get my one to connect to the wifi for some reason. Anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

editorsean wrote: »
    The only minor issue I've run into so far is trying to select a foreign station by voice. It usually plays something on YouTube music instead, often completely unrelated to even the radio station name. For example, when I tried asking it "play RTL die besten hits aller zeiten on TuneIn", it said "Playing Blurred Lines by German Naruto Fanfic on YouTube"... :P On the other hand, I can cast stations fine from TuneIn on my phone and still has the advantage of playing independent of the phone, unlike a Bluetooth speaker.

If it's anything like the Alexa you can create routines for voice. I'm doing it for the mother where if she says single words it will do exactly what she needs.
    She keeps expecting it to know what she wants when she says turn on the radio. Alexa is starting a random station.
    Not ironically Im having to create 50 variants of trigger words for her as she is adding please or rearranging her sentences.

Cant get my one to connect to the wifi for some reason. Anyone else have this problem?

Are you using Google home app on your phone?
    You need to use home to connect to the app, then it takes your WiFi settings.
    Setup is the exact same as a chromecast

We got 4 also through the link provided in this thread...thank you!

Then today I got an official link from YouTube via email.

Do you think I can go again?

I tried but can't.... I had considered the family trial for friends and am sad now :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yeah I was able to connect to WiFi but then the update was taking ages. Did a factory reset of the nest and seems to be working now.

• Advertisement

I know the first generation google home was buggy enough connecting to 5G WiFi. If your router has non 5G WiFi available then try connecting to that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

kenyard wrote: »
    If it's anything like the Alexa you can create routines for voice. I'm doing it for the mother where if she says single words it will do exactly what she needs.
    Thanks for the tip as I never thought of looking at the routines in the Home app.

I set one up for "RTL Radio" and can confirm it plays the right thing when I speak the command, going from what's casting:
    9q9zDGB.png

A lot shorter than many attempts I made yesterday such as "OK Google Play RTL die besten hits aller zeiten in Germany on TuneIn", where it still played something completely unrelated on YouTube. At least it plays the Irish stations fine such as RTE Radio 1, Q102, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Mine arrived today. Paired it with my other one for stereo sound. Sounds good.

2nd one arrived today, 1 very happy daughter! 3to go, though the delivery dates have pushed out a fair bit to 9th/10th Jan ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Surprised there are so many individuals and family groups eligible for this offer. Is everyone paying the full Irish rates of €16/m or whatever the current level is for a family premium account?

Surprised there are so many individuals and family groups eligible for this offer. Is everyone paying the full Irish rates of €16/m or whatever the current level is for a family premium account?

Yep, I am paying the full family rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,290 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I assume nobody has got this working if availing of the subcontinent's discount?

Well I'd imagine they would probably send it to your Indian address associated with paying the Indian rate.

dulpit wrote: »
    I assume nobody has got this working if availing of the subcontinent's discount?

It's only offered in these countries apparently - Canada, the UK, Ireland, France, Norway, Italy, Sweden, and Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Got my one today.

Pity I just re subscribed to Spotify so I could make Alexa play music for me.

Advertisement