Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What skincare brand actually made a difference to your skin?

Options
  • 13-12-2019 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi everyone. One of my New Years resolutions for 2020 is to take better care of my skin, and use a proper skin care regimen. I have dry skin and I feel at 32, that I’m aging quicker than friends and other my age. I would have lines across my forehead and sometime makeup sinks into them. Other than that I suppose I’m lucky in that my skin generally is clear, I rarely break out. My main issue is dryness.
    At the moment I’m using the Image vital C cleanser and I wouldn’t be without it. Everything else I mix and match using products from Vichy, and The Ordinary.
    I feel like it’s stabbing in the dark trying and using all these products so I would like to use three or four core products and stick with them rather than trying different brands for a while.
    I’m hoping to get facials maybe every 8-12 weeks aswell as anytime I’ve had one my skin is so smooth and glowing afterwards.
    So is there any skin brand which improved your skin and you noticed visible results? I’ve been looking into Environ and also purchasing more from the Image range. I’m happy to spend money but only if the products work. So if anyone there with similar skin to mine has tried a range or any particular regime/product that has helped their skin I’d love to hear about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dinnyhw

I have been using Skin Formulas for a number of months now and really notice a difference in my skin. My skin would tend to be more oily, but they have a range for normal to dry skin too.
    It is a new brand devised by an Irish lady and I honestly can't speak highly enough about it.
    I had previously been using Environ and while I did see an improvement, it was not as much as with Skin Formulas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

I’ve been impressed by the beauty range in M&S, I’ve sampled a lot via their advent calendars in recent years. My absolute favorite is the Emma Hardie range, lovely products & they’ve made a difference to my skin

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Image products for me. I change them up each year. Introduced Environ too lately.
    But best results will be from peels, facials, IPL in salon treatments.
    Find a salon where they are focused on skincare and have proven results.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Another Image user here! I started with the Vital C serum and slowly introduced a couple of more products from the other ranges - they’ve made such a difference to my skin. Worth the money imo!

I use the peeling solution from the Ordinary and love that too, I’ve repurchased it 2 times. Next on my list is to slowly introduce a Retinol - going to try the Medik8 one as recommended by Caroline Hirons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Absolutely loving The ordinary
    My skin has really improved and it doesn’t hurt the bank balance !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

There’s not one brand really that I’ve found changed my skin but rather a myriad of products across a spectrum of brands. However I’m really loving Murad at the moment. I’m using their Vitamin C cleanser at the moment and their hydro dynamic moisturiser is amazing too as is their pro biotic mist. For retinol I love Sunday Riley A+.

The Inkey List are a relatively new brand similar to The Ordinary ingredients and price wise. I’ve seen them stocked in lots of chemists. I’m currently using their hyaluronic acid and find it really good

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭madmac187

Skinceuticals the best I have ever used

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

The Ordinary by Deciem and more recently NIOD, Deciem’s more premium range. No frills, does what it says.

I always use any brand rx retinol rather than retinoid from any of the fancy brands , the vitamin A is far more readily available. You need a prescription in Ireland for these so I always stock up when on holidays in Europe such as retrides in Spain, only costs about €5 a tube and works so much better than retinoids for my skin anyway. Just need to build up tolerance to it as is quite strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Kiehls - I use the face wash and two different night creams. Their hibiscus night mask makes me look better, and my makeup fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Avene.
    I have very sensitive dry skin and with a couple of their products I am so happy with the results that I no longer wear a foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Trilogy products. They smell lovely, are cruelty free and leave my skin feeling soft and moisturised. In terms of anti-ageing benefits, I don't believe any product can reverse ageing unfortunately. If one existed, we would all know about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

For cleansing, Cerava is amazing, I use the hydrating cleanser daily and the smoothing cleanser when I'm suffering from congestion!

For hydration, HadoLabo lotion is the only way up go, it's japan's top selling brand and the signature product! It has 4 different molecular sizes of hyralaunic acid so hydrates really well.

I've just signed up to beauty pie which is a luxury beauty buyers club, it's a very interesting concept, well worth considering if you're a skincare enthusiast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I use Ren and really like their range. Was tempted by Casmara after seeing some impressive reviews from a blogger I follow (and thinks shes one of the good ones) but will work through what I have before deciding if I take the plunge!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I have a Casmara face wash I got in a goodie bag and it's very good. I hadn't heard of the brand before but have seen it crop up more recently.

For me personally it's been a mix and match of products that has my skin in good nick these days, I don't just buy from one brand. I had a facial last year and she did a very good analysis of my skin, obviously they want you to buy some of their products, but you absolutely do not have to. This analysis gave me a bit more info to look into what my skin needed and then I trialed individual products from a variety of brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Twee. wrote: »
    I have a Casmara face wash I got in a goodie bag and it's very good. I hadn't heard of the brand before but have seen it crop up more recently.

For me personally it's been a mix and match of products that has my skin in good nick these days, I don't just buy from one brand. I had a facial last year and she did a very good analysis of my skin, obviously they want you to buy some of their products, but you absolutely do not have to. This analysis gave me a bit more info to look into what my skin needed and then I trialed individual products from a variety of brands.

Hi Twee, would you mind sharing where you got that facial? I'm doing a lot of trial and error at the moment while trying to cut down on plastic packaging and it's more error than trial! Would be good to know what I should actually be trying to include, it's hard to get advice because everyone is trying to sell their own brand.

I had a Yonka facial done last year which was amazing but I felt the analysis was a bit OTT for me and very very upselly, to the point where I asked if I could only afford one of the five or six products recommended which one should I pick, and the woman couldnt possibly recommend any less than a full regime. Yonka products are not cheap, but I certainly did not have hundreds to be spending there after the facial! I have quite good skin, and its always commented on yet I came out feeling old and haggard just by what this woman had said to me :(

I had it at The Buff Day Spa in Dublin https://www.thebuffdayspa.com/ Sadly I can't remember the girl's name who did it!

This probably sounds a bit sneaky but it wasn't my intention, I asked her could I take a pic of the products she recommended for my skin type, and then looked them up after to see what the ingredients were. I was on a serious no-buy, using up what I already had (see Shop the Stash thread!), and she was very respectful of that when I told her, still showed me all the products, told me what they're for, in case I wanted to come back for them.

JustMe,K wrote: »
    I had a Yonka facial done last year which was amazing but I felt the analysis was a bit OTT for me and very very upselly, to the point where I asked if I could only afford one of the five or six products recommended which one should I pick, and the woman couldnt possibly recommend any less than a full regime. Yonka products are not cheap, but I certainly did not have hundreds to be spending there after the facial! I have quite good skin, and its always commented on yet I came out feeling old and haggard just by what this woman had said to me :(

That's very disappointing, sorry to hear that! The girl I went to did actually say to me if I was to walk out with just one product that day, she'd recommend X (can't actually remember now :pac:)

The upselling is crazy, once I was very clear that I was not buying today (shopping ban!), but I was genuinely interested in learning about the products she was very nice to me. I don't think it's even a good idea to just completely change your regime overnight. Lots of the professional salon products are very rich and concentrated, I'd be much more inclined to introduce gradually.

That's very disappointing, sorry to hear that! The girl I went to did actually say to me if I was to walk out with just one product that day, she'd recommend X (can't actually remember now :pac:)

The upselling is crazy, once I was very clear that I was not buying today (shopping ban!), but I was genuinely interested in learning about the products she was very nice to me. I don't think it's even a good idea to just completely change your regime overnight. Lots of the professional salon products are very rich and concentrated, I'd be much more inclined to introduce gradually.

To be fair I have heard of a couple of people who highly recommended the place you went to. Totally agree regarding changing your regime slowly, its great the girl took the time to go through things with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I have dry skin too but its also very sensitive, never know what im going to react to so I have tried about a million different products at this stage.
    For cleansing I really like Cerava salicilic (sp?) acid with hyaluronic acid face wash - this has made a big difference to my skin, cleared my pores and leaves my skin really healthy looking.
    I also use raw, virgin coconut oil for a double cleanse if im wearing allot of heavy makeup.
    If im not washing my face and just want to take makeup off/do a cleanse I use the coconut oil then a cream based cleanser for sensitive/dry skin. I try to use products that dont have alcohol in them.
    For serums I use Bioderma moisturising concentrate - Ive had this for about a year and still have a good amount left despite using it all the time. Its a lovely product for dry skin.
    I used to use Moogoo 3 vitamin serum religiously, it was fantastic but I think they change the ingredients as it used to be like water, my skin would drink it up and it was so hydrating, now its very sticky and doesnt seem to absorb so well.
    I love Trilogy rose hip oil - this has been a total game changer for my dry/sensitive skin. Its amazing.
    For moisturiser I love Aveena or moo goo are really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I've gotten onto Image products in the last while and absolutely love them. The vital C cleanser mentioned in the OP is a staple

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There’s not one brand really that I’ve found changed my skin but rather a myriad of products across a spectrum of brands. However I’m really loving Murad at the moment. I’m using their Vitamin C cleanser at the moment and their hydro dynamic moisturiser is amazing too as is their pro biotic mist. For retinol I love Sunday Riley A+.

The Inkey List are a relatively new brand similar to The Ordinary ingredients and price wise. I’ve seen them stocked in lots of chemists. I’m currently using their hyaluronic acid and find it really good

Boots have launched Boots Ingredients range

I'm going to try Boots Ingredients Bakuchiol Serum (30ml €9.99) not as harsh at Retinol

I like Clinique but it is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I have terrible acne prone skin and I use a dermalogica salicylic acid face wash cleanser which has really helped. It's hella expensive though but I can't find another face wash with 2% salicylic acid in it so if anyone knows of one please let me know.

I also use the hyaluronic acid from the Ordinary which I think has helped a lot.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I have terrible acne prone skin and I use a dermalogica salicylic acid face wash cleanser which has really helped. It's hella expensive though but I can't find another face wash with 2% salicylic acid in it so if anyone knows of one please let me know.

I also use the hyaluronic acid from the Ordinary which I think has helped a lot.

I use all dermalogica products and have done for years,I find them brilliant, I've only just started ordering them directly online since November, my moisturiser is 10e cheaper than from the beautician and plenty samples sent also,well worth checking them out .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I use all dermalogica products and have done for years,I find them brilliant, I've only just started ordering them directly online since November, my moisturiser is 10e cheaper than from the beautician and plenty samples sent also,well worth checking them out .

Yeah I've always ordered them direct as it's slightly cheaper and the samples are nice. But I find I have a drawer full of samples now that I've never used as my skin is so sensitive. I do agree that they're great but they're just so expensive it hurts my soul to buy them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

It's hella expensive though but I can't find another face wash with 2% salicylic acid in it so if anyone knows of one please let me know

The Skin Nerd has a wash with I think 2.5% salicylic acid - It’s 25 euro (the blue bottle). I bought it in Arnotts, found it good and not too harsh on my skin either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I use the Inkey List ([url] https://www.lookfantastic.com/the-inkey-list-salicylic-acid-cleanser-150ml/12208002.html[/url] - it contains 2% SA.

It’s available in a good few pharmacies (McCabes and Lloyd’s I think) and in boots as well.
    Admittedly it’s a small bottle at 150ml but the formula is relatively thick and it lasts me a good while. Fragrance free also. You can also buy it on lookfantastic and they often have 10/15/20/25% off codes floating around, so it would reduce the cost further.

Ceraves’ SA cleanser is now also available in Ireland, but afaik that only contains 0.5% salicycic acid - so very mild. The bottle is decent size for the price (236ml).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I've been using Image mainly for about 5 years and find it brilliant.

I've just recently stepped up to using the MD range for potency (disclaimer, I have a friend who can get me the stuff, as otherwise you need a consultation).

I mix them in with their regular ranges.

Products I've tried and liked;

Anything in the vital C range
    Ormedic cleanser (gentle)
    Iluma Serum
    Ageless cleanser (feels like an exfoliant)
    Clear cell lotion (for the ocasional breakout)
    SPF 32 matte - brilliant under make up

MD range
    Cleanser
    Serum
    Night cream
    SPF 50 (different to the regular SPF 50)
    Retinol booster
    Lip treatment (this says its for post lip fillers which I don't have, but its just lovely and moisturing without being sticky).

I periodically try new things but always go back to image.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MommaSarah

Unfortunately, the lines on the forehead are something we get around 30... Our skin starts losing firmness due to loss of collagen and elastin.

I have dry skin, too, but also prone to allergic reactions, so I always stick to the unscented products (I'm surprised how many aforementioned brands I've never heard of/ tried!). My hubby once bought me a set of Lancome products as a gift and the allergic reaction I got after using them! Plus, the volumes of those bottles! What is 30ml, when I use litres of cream every month! I use Cetaphil for removing makeup (it's a liquid "soap" without sls) and Laroche possay Lipikar for my face and body. This is my first ever face/body cream that feels moisturising and emulsifying at the same time.

I think the facials are a great idea, but it's good to do something for your skin from the "inside", too, like drinking plenty of water every day (which, as a busy mum I'm never good at). I started taking hyaluronic acid as it's supposed to moisturise your skin. I haven't been taking it long, so can't say about the results yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

For me, I don't know if it's the brands or products so much as just stripping back to a couple of simple, bland products, getting rid of all the bits and bobs. I was essentially giving myself combination skin, because I would use a clay mask and strip my skin of oils and then be desperately trying to hydrate it after and it was all over the place.
    I use Soap & Glory Ultimelt, it's a balmy hot cloth cleanser, and then Eucerin 4% Urea moisturiser which is the only one I've found that actually moisturises it - doesn't immediately get sucked in, but not too heavy on the skin either. In between, I was using either glycolic acid or The Ordinary vitamin C and hyaluronic acid a couple times a week, but after Christmas I started using The Ordinary Niacinamide and zinc, which I'm loving, it balances sebum production and aids collagen so perfect for me having oily skin and now aged 30.
    I threw out all the different masks and half used foamy cleansers etc and my skin has gone from spotty, congested, pain in the ass combination, to clear, manageable oily and now feeling much more comfortable with less makeup :D

Advertisement