Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend 7/12 (Joshua v Ruiz II, Charlo v Hogan, Eubank v Korobov etc)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Im glad Joshua won.

You dont want Ruiz as a role model. Lazy,fat & no discipline to keep food out of his mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Still Ill wrote: »
    Would he even be a heavyweight if he was ripped?

Andy Ruiz (283.7 lbs) & Anthony Joshua (237 lbs) at the pre-fight weigh in, so Ruiz could lose 3.5 stone and weigh the same as Joshua did for the fight. I agree with the sentiment here, there is no Ruiz Joshua 3 unless Ruiz actually got fit, and given he couldn't manage that defending 3 belts, there seems little hope of this ever happening. There are only 2 Joshua fights out there people want to see, Wilder or Fury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Joshua v Wilder or Fury won't happening until late 2021. And it'll be the loser of that fight that Hearn will go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Inquitus wrote: »
    Andy Ruiz (283.7 lbs) & Anthony Joshua (237 lbs) at the pre-fight weigh in, so Ruiz could lose 3.5 stone and weigh the same as Joshua did for the fight. I agree with the sentiment here, there is no Ruiz Joshua 3 unless Ruiz actually got fit, and given he couldn't manage that defending 3 belts, there seems little hope of this ever happening. There are only 2 Joshua fights out there people want to see, Wilder or Fury.

Ruiz has got talent and tools but poor attitude and no place for that in elite sport. If he changes that then there’s a future for him. If he doesn’t then he can cause plenty of top end HWs trouble in a certain style but he won’t climb the mountain again. He actually in a way surpassed my expectations but AJ didn’t have the ambition I expected and Ruiz took shots better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

What are you mumbling about? Doesn’t take the big shots? These lads are 17 - 20 stone and most of them punch like a mule. He got up off the floor against Kiltchko when very few would have.

Fury a big hitter? I’d argue there are middleweights who hit harder than him. Wilder is technically awful. Against AJ whoever lands first wins. I’d lean towards AJ given he’s a far superior boxer. Wilder has that right hand though.

Joshua's chin is average at best for a heavyweight, it's not solid like a Vitali Klitschko, it's more vulnerable like a Wlad Klitschko, that's why I think Fury or Wilder would take him.

Although I agree that Joshua is techincally speaking the best of the 3, Wilder is very scatty but has devastating power and Fury is an incredibly awkward opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Wlad made a long career of protecting his chin.

Problem I have is we will now hear Hearn ****e on that AJ doesnt need Wilder/Fury.

For so long AJ didnt have a dance partner but we will now hear that Ruiz is really number 2 in the division who deserves the chance to avenge last night in a rubber (blubber more like) match.

Its all a power play. Hearn is the worst of these promoters, the ****er will always want at least 80% of the share.

Nobody gives a damn about legacy

I agree, I think Hearn will protect AJ as much as possible, I honestly think he winces every time somebody lands a shot on AJ because he knows how vulnerable that chin is.

Wlad did indeed make a long career with a dodgy chin, he was a brilliant boxer though and used his range, skill and power to wear his opponents down before delivering the KO blows as he was also blessed with power.

I honestly don't think Joshua would have beaten Wlad in his prime but to be fair AJ does also have solid KO power so he is capable of beating the best of them......provided they don't catch him first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Who won between Korobov and Eubank? I forgot it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Who won between Korobov and Eubank? I forgot it was on.

Eubank Jr. Korobov dislocated a shoulder in round 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Dreadful stuff. AJ is no heavyweight champ.

On the contrary, he is in fact heavyweight champ. Two time heavyweight champ at that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

On the contrary, he is in fact heavyweight champ. Two time heavyweight champ at that.

And also I'm glad he has the belts, Ruiz was a terrible champ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

ebbsy wrote: »
    And also I'm glad he has the belts, Ruiz was a terrible champ.

I'm no AJ fan but he's far more worthy of the belts than a man who couldn't even get in shape for one fight. I thought Ruiz was overweight in the last fight cause he was only off the couch, little did I know he'd turn up the way he did the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

AJ done well, done what he had to do so credit is due but it was far from master class due to the opponent,

Ruiz was a disgrace turns up to his first defence in such awful shape, He was never that good to begin with so u' d think he'd have done his best to get himself in best functional shape he could,

He will float around top 7-12 in the world for a few years then disappear,

AJ won't fight Fury or Wilder next year he just won't so best we can hope for is Usyk which is a tuff fight for him ,

I think gimme fight in March then Usyk late summer , Hearn will want to keep his cash cow rolling,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

MD1990 wrote: »
    Im glad Joshua won.

You dont want Ruiz as a role model. Lazy,fat & no discipline to keep food out of his mouth.

Christ.
    A "Role Model" - who would want ANY professional multimillionaire boxer as a role model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

kippy wrote: »
    Christ.
    A "Role Model" - who would want ANY professional multimillionaire boxer as a role model.

Why not?

Would you prefer a beat up, broke palooka?

walshb wrote: »
    Why not?

Would you prefer a beat up, broke palooka?
    A parent, a volunteer who gives their time for the benefit of others, or someone whose profession didn't involve getting paid to beat up people.

A parent, a volunteer who gives their time for the benefit of others, or someone whose profession didn't involve getting paid to beat up people.

Oh, so if someone happens to be wealthy from their profession, that should exclude them?

Boxing and role models isn’t just about people exchanging punches. Open your eyes a little, and try look a little deeper..

Are you anti boxing? Asking, because you seem to think that a person who “beats” others up can’t be a role model?

Oh, so if someone happens to be wealthy from their profession, that should exclude them?

Boxing and role models isn’t just about people exchanging punches. Open your eyes a little, and try look a little deeper..

Are you anti boxing? Asking, because you seem to think that a person who “beats” others up can’t be a role model?

I amn't anti boxing at all, I just don't believe that people need to look up to "stars" as their role models when there are usually people far more deserving of being called role models closer to home.

I amn't anti boxing at all, I just don't believe that people need to look up to "stars" as their role models when there are usually people far more deserving of being called role models closer to home.

Sorry, but that is not what your post implied. It flat out tried to rubbish a claim, that a wealthy boxer can be a role model.

Are you sticking by this?

Sorry, but that is not what your post implied. It flat out tried to rubbish a claim, that a wealthy boxer can be a role model.

Are you sticking by this?
    Of course they can be a role model - but not to any of my kids.

Of course they can be a role model - but not to any of my kids.

Grand.

What about a wealthy boxer who is a kind and caring and thoughtful person, who gives up his time for charity, for communities, educating children, etc....

Would the fact that he is a boxer be the excluding factor for you? In other words, he ticks all the boxes, but fails because he boxes...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

Some kids are genuinely in the gutter, maybe a similar gutter to their now-wealthy role models and aspire to emulating them. There's nothing to say that aspiration takes them down a positive route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The ducking noises already being made from wildrers team when there is realistically no chance of the fight even happening any time soon. They would have big concerns about UKAD after the Whyte situation. Laying down the roadwork for an excuse not to fight in the future.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭blade1

This heavyweight class is bit tiresome.
    At this stage I don't care which of the "three" wins.

I'd be more interested in seeing how would Ruiz cope with a haymaker from Wilder.
    If he was fitter and it didn't floor him, could he make a fight of it?
    Wilder doesn't have much more in his Arsenal.

blade1 wrote: »
    This heavyweight class is bit tiresome.
    At this stage I don't care which of the "three" wins.

I'd be more interested in seeing how would Ruiz cope with a haymaker from Wilder.
    If he was fitter and it didn't floor him, could he make a fight of it?
    Wilder doesn't have much more in his Arsenal.

It's a fair arsenal all the same. He has a better jab than most give him credit for. He's quick on his feet too and the reach takes him away from opponents. I think a fit Ruiz might cause him one or two problems. The issue with Ruiz is that in a trade war he will do well against anyone. But the problem is that someone needs to be willing to stand. If Parker can beat him in a boxing match then lots more can.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    It's a fair arsenal all the same. He has a better jab than most give him credit for. He's quick on his feet too and the reach takes him away from opponents. I think a fit Ruiz might cause him one or two problems. The issue with Ruiz is that in a trade war he will do well against anyone. But the problem is that someone needs to be willing to stand. If Parker can beat him in a boxing match then lots more can.

Of course, Joshua beat him,Fury would beat him.
    I'm just thinking if he can take Wilders power he stands a better chance than he would against the other two... maybe :rolleyes:

I'm just thinking if he can take Wilders power he stands a better chance than he would against the other two... maybe :rolleyes:

Yea or if he could handle Fury's awkward style or Joshua's jab and run style. All big ifs if you come up short. Same result all 3 I think - lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Wilder managed to box the head off Stiverne for 12 rounds when he first won the WBC belt.

Stiverne back then was similar in size and style to fat Ruiz now. Their levels wouldn’t be all that different.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    All big ifs

That's pretty much the whole boxing forum summed up in 3 words :pac:

I think my main curiosity with Ruiz/Wilder is how does he react to getting floored.

• Advertisement

That's pretty much the whole boxing forum summed up in 3 words :pac:

Yep. For what it’s worth I don’t think Ruiz or anyone else takes a flush shot from wilder

Advertisement