Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show 06/12/19

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Allinall wrote: »
    Did they upset you?

Feck off.

Did you think it was decent Friday night entertainment?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Not great in terms of entertainment, but a story that needed to be heard.

mur.c wrote: »
    I heard this lady speaking on the radio a few weeks ago...she avoided the question tonight as to who the bullies were but they were not children, they were adults.

I was just googling the village, Newport, Tipperary. From what I see it’s s reasonably prosperous place. I can see no clues as to what element might have been involved. Why on earth would adults bully a child like that? Were they dysfunctional next door neighbours or what? Did they have something against her father, for some reason unknown, and were disgracefully taking it out on her and the mother? I personally don’t know any adults who would do that except maybe somebody with a genuine psychosis who verbalises nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Furby2020

I was just googling the village, Newport, Tipperary. From what I see it’s s reasonably prosperous place. I can see no clues as to what element might have been involved. Why on earth would adults bully a child like that? Were they dysfunctional next door neighbours or what? Did they have something against her father, for some reason unknown, and were disgracefully taking it out on her and the mother? I personally don’t know any adults who would do that except maybe somebody with a genuine psychosis who verbalises nonsense.

She did mention that one of the adults in question has mental problems but she was not alone. Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

"adults" could be 18-20 year olds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Furby2020

goose2005 wrote: »
    "adults" could be 18-20 year olds

Yep old enough to know better!

Article...

https://extra.ie/2019/10/16/news/irish-news/mia-oneill-suicide-racial-abuse

It mentions she was diagnosed with emotional regulatory disorder. This article below gives an insight into it. Her behaviour, through no fault of her own, may have stirred up resentment in others who are so uneducated they resort to the most primitive racist reaction. The article here, towards the end, makes mention of Sickle Cell disease, a very painful and deadly disease prevalent in people of African heritage, stating it can prompt this condition as a reaction of irritability to the physical pain they are suffering.

https://www.mdedge.com/pediatrics/article/106070/mental-health/newest-rage-disruptive-mood-dysregulation-disorder

mur.c wrote: »
    She did mention that one of the adults in question has mental problems but she was not alone. Sickening.

I’m wondering if these antisocial people are from the one or two related households nearby. Are they perhaps even blood relatives, because as such it would get to the poor girl more if that happened to be the case, more than if it were some eejity nobodies were calling out abuse. I always remember as a child placing more weight on things said by wider family than with acquaintances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭maebee

Someone should point out to this show's producers that the LLS is supposed to be about entertainment and not misery. I'm sure this girl's tragic story needs to be told but not on a Friday night entertainment show. I'm 60 and have been watching the LLS for more years than I care to remember but in the past few years I have found myself switching to Friday night proper entertainment with our own Graham, where it's all entertainment and no misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not watching this segment as in the bar, was the girl black

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not watching this segment as in the bar, was the girl black

Yes, she was. Looking at her FB account she had a great deal of emotional intelligence, and was enormously supported by her friends for years. In her strong and good circle of friends were others of various racial backgrounds, and those of naturally paler skin seemed to be doing the tanning to achieve the popular golden glow among young people now. She certainly didn’t seem to stand out very much apart from her peers in looks and how she presented herself physically. She focussed all the time on the subject of suicide, the tragic loss of other young people to it. She posted helpline numbers, knew the ins and outs of her own troubles very well.

I may be terribly wrong here, but the big focus and publicity on suicide, the daily talking of mental health...I’m asking myself is this provoking more suicidal thoughts. I certainly know times I’ve felt low, the mantra of suicide talk enters my head in a very unhealthy way. I half wonder about the contagion of the talk, but I know burying stuff isn’t great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You make a good point and said it myself about the LLS, why is Ireland so hell bent on promoting death etc, I don't see it happen anywhere else. Are we promoting this mentality, pushing into the minds of all folks that death isn't that bad as we will rejoice or celebrate your death in some awkward way so you will never be forgotten
    I don't know, it's all a bit morbid

fritzelly wrote: »
    You make a good point and said it myself about the LLS, why is Ireland so hell bent on promoting death etc, I don't see it happen anywhere else. Are we promoting this mentality, pushing into the minds of all folks that death isn't that bad as we will rejoice or celebrate your death in some awkward way so you will never be forgotten
    I don't know, it's all a bit morbid

Yes, the thought of everyone focussing on just you at and after the funeral, to the exclusion of much all else at times, brings its reward as the idea is being rehearsed in the mind. The drama of the anticipated funeral would be foremost. Poor Mia had lots of Facebook postings on the theme of “your worth is only recognised when you are gone”. Not the poor child’s fault, and her friends were utterly supportive and reaffirming in their posts, in a most mature way beyond their young years. She had listings of young people from everywhere in the area and beyond committing suicide. It is part of a culture. A town in South Wales suffered a litany of young suicides, all in copycat fashion, the way to go. That was before more widespread social media, so it was mainly word of mouth and contained within the town.

RTE and the rest are really doing no favours (other than to the bereaved) by having it on so very often. I believe unfettered access to the internet at a young age is changing the the language, discourse and mindset in a very unhealthy way. To me it is should be criminal for children to be given fully functional smartphones . As a grown adult I find some of the stuff very hard to deal with, so how can an 11 year old process it. It is going to be one of the great societal scandals we will look back upon with regret and horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Berserker wrote: »
    Is the priest wearing a wedding ring?

He is a widower, so quite possibly.

That feature on LLS, last thing before bed, really got to me, and I got little sleep thinking about it. The sad features should be on early, and the comedians and light stuff later. I think RTE’s aim is to make all the nation as equally mentally unwell as possible. It’s not helping anyone the way they do it. By all means people bereaved by suicide need any amount of support, but broadcasting details as many cases of tragedy as they can trawl up seems to be a national disease. I’m just going to have to stop watching LLS, it’s getting me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,041 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

maebee wrote: »
    Someone should point out to this show's producers that the LLS is supposed to be about entertainment and not misery. I'm sure this girl's tragic story needs to be told but not on a Friday night entertainment show. I'm 60 and have been watching the LLS for more years than I care to remember but in the past few years I have found myself switching to Friday night proper entertainment with our own Graham, where it's all entertainment and no misery.

That ship has sailed I'm afraid.
    Misery and sad stories like last night are quite a lot of the lls content.

That feature on LLS, last thing before bed, really got to me, and I got little sleep thinking about it. The sad features should be on early, and the comedians and light stuff later. I think RTE’s aim is to make all the nation as equally mentally unwell as possible. It’s not helping anyone the way they do it. By all means people bereaved by suicide need any amount of support, but broadcasting details as many cases of tragedy as they can trawl up seems to be a national disease. I’m just going to have to stop watching LLS, it’s getting me down.

I’m sorry that it affected you that much, sincerely, but I am not surprised given the topic and content

Filling over two hours results in a magazine programme with topics/themes that don't go together easily - interviews that might be happy stories, ones of hope, the overcoming of struggles and survivors of hardship etc; then the roller coaster of a show heads down the slope to harrowing stories of grief, loss, hopelessness, tragedies and so on. It's not easy or comfortable for the audience, present or at home watching, to go from one emotional extreme to the other.

If it wants to be an entertainment programme, could it not be pre-recorded and then edited into a punchy hour or so’s show? Or am I just being silly?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's the fella who brought a plane from Limerick to Sligo in that undertaker ad.

Ya. David McGowan.

Legend.

Advertisement