Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the meat bargain of the year!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I certainly don't mind other people buying it, if that's their choice. But when on a tight budget, I find it's still better to buy discounted beef or anything else that is just past its prime quality and doesn't reek and run full of bacteria.
    All fresh so far...
    No idea, my local butcher sells no prepackaged food and have never sold me anything going bad. They do charge a premium though. I do buy meat in supermarkets, but seafood and poultry needs to be far from expiry - have had enough of sulfur stench or chicken slime as thick as egg white that have to be taken right outside because of the stench and that from packages labelled to expire e.g. in 2 days. Not saying it's always the case, but too often in my experience.

In fairness, the Lidl I use at the moment seems really good about this, but I have had issues with other supermarkets, especially with milk and lamb. Not necessarily with discounted products either. Milk going bad two or three days before the date on the carton made me stop using one chain's "own brand" for milk altogether.

For anything I can see through a packet I exercise judgement, and I won't eat anything that smells off, so I don't see these things as any different to the rest of the food that is in date by a few days. If there were no discounts, and the meats were just left on the shelves until their dates ran out, people who don't look at the dates wouldn't notice. And there are plenty of people who don't look at the dates and assume that the supermarket takes care of everything for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

That's the thing - you can recognise beef going bad, but IMO it's more difficult with chicken and very difficult with fish, the way they are packaged in supermarkets that is. I had the same gripe about milk as you, then found that the organic versions they now sell almost everywhere somehow tend to hold better, often still good after the expiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

0Aklzp-kLxmZdVZO7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭bmc58

No, but the staff seem to be putting more vegetables and yoghurt and stuff in the special area, so I might be using the jacks some time this week. Garlic bread is a vegetable, right? The sushi was not expired when I got it, you said yourself "near expiry date", so it was still fresh. :D

Got more trout tonight! And 20c garlic ciabattas! And more cream!

You're a glutton for punishment.Anything with garlic in it is a no no for me.

Advertisement