Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the meat bargain of the year!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You see the thing is freshpopcorn that the term "gone off" has a very distinct meaning. It means that the food is already spoiled and unusable. You used the word incorrectly so you can get as huffy and defensive as you like but your use of the word was just wrong.

Oh “chill” out ffs

Happy Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

seanl77 wrote: »
    The reductions in tesco are done gradually to give more shoppers a chance to avail of them, not all people want to shop at seven o clock in the evening.

:rolleyes:

You do know that their motto "Every little helps!" refers to the Tesco bottom line, not their customer's?
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭PMBC

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Lidl are doing a "Waste not" promo.
    Meat that has an expiry date of today or tomorrow will have a green sticker
    on it with any price of €2, €1.50 or €0.90c on it.
    I got 6 packs of 2 Striploin steaks for €12 total, should have been €54! :D
    Turkey steaks for .90c, 4 Chicken breasts for €2, 4 Salmon darnes for €2 and
    a few other meats.
    All expiring tomorrow so freezer bound.
    Should be in all Lidl stores.

I read by this that once you freeze the meat, the expiry date is no longer relevant except to the extent that the freezer life of the meat is, perhaps, 3 to 6 months.
    Is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

The lidl near smithfield seems to just be putting 30% discount stickers on instead of these green ones, wonder if they're meant to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,221 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

PMBC wrote: »
    I read by this that once you freeze the meat, the expiry date is no longer relevant except to the extent that the freezer life of the meat is, perhaps, 3 to 6 months.
    Is that true?

A lot of stuff says freeze on date of purchase and consume within one month from what I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

This has been going on in my local Lidl for a few weeks now. When I say "local", I mean it's about 50 metres from my front door.

90 cent trout. 90 cent sushi. Boxes of lamb mince and chicken breasts for 90 cent. Sliced chicken, turkey, and ham packs for 20 cent. Chocolate cream dessert yokes for 20 cent... You get the picture.

I spend my evenings pacing around Lidl waiting for the staff to wheel the little cart of discounted stuff up to the fridges, and thinking about meat... Like some sort of vulture person. Nothing will fit in the freezer anymore, not even steak. 20 cent cream it was, yesterday. Not meat. Is cream a vegetable? Who knows?

All I know is meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭wassie

Good meat 'deals' to be had up round the border this weekend.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2019/1207/1097645-container-theft-armagh/

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Clearly it's only in specific stores as any Lidl I've been in recently is still just applying the regular 30% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

. 90 cent sushi.

I like a bargain as much as the next man, but even I draw the line at discounted sushi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Quackster wrote: »
    Clearly it's only in specific stores as any Lidl I've been in recently is still just applying the regular 30% discount.

I was in 6 Lidl South Dublin shops last week and without looking for them specifically, saw the green labels on meats/fish in 4 of them.
    Would assume it would be in the larger stores where they would have more stock and might also depend on time of day and demand?
    I've seen them just after opening and close to closing time in stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Lidl swords and couldn't see anything outside the orange stickers and great deal on goujans for a euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Let your nose be the judge of the use by date.
    Swollen salad/cheese/pasta bowls are another sign. Often well before the date, and with the 30% sticker already on it.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

I bought some many €1 steaks in last few days, my OH has banned me from buying any more as we won't have room in the freezer for Christmas :rolleyes:.

Quackster wrote: »

I've seen both in store but these new stickers only appear late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

jeffk wrote: »
    Lidl swords and couldn't see anything outside the orange stickers and great deal on goujans for a euro
    I had some of those last night. Not great. They didn't even seem right with BBQ sauce or Mayo on them - odd texture. YMMV.
    I won't buy them again. (and I buy bargains I don't need or really want all the time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I had some of those last night. Not great. They didn't even seem right with BBQ sauce or Mayo on them - odd texture. YMMV.
    I won't buy them again. (and I buy bargains I don't need or really want all the time!)

Dinner for tomorrow so hopefully the experience is better

If they're not nice then I won't bother myself, especially with Iceland on my doorstep there's more freezer choice now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They aren’t proper goujons they are much the same as cheap chicken nuggets shaped and formed to looked that way

Yeah, I noticed the word "Formed" on them and gave them a miss! Worth paying the extra euro for something that hasn't been scraped out of a machine.

Someone set the alarms off in Lidl last night when I was at the fridge. I was fully expecting to get arrested. Still not sure I'm not hallucinating some of these labels.

4x Muller Greek-style fat free yoghurts for 20c, and some nice German salami packets I've had my eye on for weeks now, also 20c. I bought a few days' worth of dinners from the 20c fridge on top of these, but I'll still be over there later to see what's on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

What would the optimal time to be going to Lidl to acquire these bargains?

What would the optimal time to be going to Lidl to acquire these bargains?

Every Lidl is different in my local one I'd say about 8pm. However it depends on the staff members who's on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

My local Lidl had about 20 steaks for €2 each at 9.10am when I was in there first.
    Probably store specific as said.

There's no real logic to the times or prices regarding this so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭bmc58

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Yeah, I noticed the word "Formed" on them and gave them a miss! Worth paying the extra euro for something that hasn't been scraped out of a machine.

Any meat item with "Formed" on the pack should be avoided.They use some sort of glue to stick the cast off pieces of meat together.Avoid Ham,chicken,beef,pork with "Formed" on the pack.I's low grade sh@te.Pay an extra € for some proper meat.It won't break you.

"Gone off" is a bit of a strong term. "Use by the 7th" will have a few days built in so it'll be perfectly alright till the 9th or 10th and perhaps longer.

Remember the scandal a few years ago where supermarkets were repackaging chicken at its use by date into new packaging with a new use by date?

Let your nose be the judge of the use by date.

Agree,your nose is the best judge.

lalababa wrote: »
    Yeah let your nose & eyes be the judge. ��
    Imagine eating smelly rancid chicken just because it WAS in date!

Anyone with a modicum of a sense of smell would smell a chicken piece that was gone off? It's disgusting and only fit for the bin.

This has been going on in my local Lidl for a few weeks now. When I say "local", I mean it's about 50 metres from my front door.

90 cent trout. 90 cent sushi. Boxes of lamb mince and chicken breasts for 90 cent. Sliced chicken, turkey, and ham packs for 20 cent. Chocolate cream dessert yokes for 20 cent... You get the picture.

I spend my evenings pacing around Lidl waiting for the staff to wheel the little cart of discounted stuff up to the fridges, and thinking about meat... Like some sort of vulture person. Nothing will fit in the freezer anymore, not even steak. 20 cent cream it was, yesterday. Not meat. Is cream a vegetable? Who knows?

All I know is meat.

Sushi near expiry date.Must be a no no.You must spent a lot of time in the jacks .

bmc58 wrote: »
    Sushi near expiry date.Must be a no no.You must spent a lot of time in the jacks .

No, but the staff seem to be putting more vegetables and yoghurt and stuff in the special area, so I might be using the jacks some time this week. Garlic bread is a vegetable, right? The sushi was not expired when I got it, you said yourself "near expiry date", so it was still fresh. :D

Got more trout tonight! And 20c garlic ciabattas! And more cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Fish and poultry from a supermarket one day from the expiry date? Thanks, but no thanks.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing
    What’s the expiry date of fish in a fishmonger or chicken in a butcher ?
    No idea, my local butcher sells no prepackaged food and have never sold me anything going bad. They do charge a premium though. I do buy meat in supermarkets, but seafood and poultry needs to be far from expiry - have had enough of sulfur stench or chicken slime as thick as egg white that have to be taken right outside because of the stench and that from packages labelled to expire e.g. in 2 days. Not saying it's always the case, but too often in my experience.

• Advertisement

I certainly don't mind other people buying it, if that's their choice. But when on a tight budget, I find it's still better to buy discounted beef or anything else that is just past its prime quality and doesn't reek and run full of bacteria.

Advertisement