Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the burning passion for having an open fire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

aye thats it. Its a local problem , first and foremost . It might be contributing to the world Co2 problem or it may not but no-one can deny its affecting local people every winter (and cold summer nights when people decide to light a fire) but worse in winter because of the dense fog and mist.

Hey Andy

Do you drive a car?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Smart move there by the Government, let the hapless councillers get it in the neck from the voters!

Smart move there by the Government - pass the buck onto other departments/people. If its a success they will take the credit .. and if it dont work out they can blame it on councils

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

I love threads like this, the Government can plot and plan to ban what it likes but it cannot even stop the Donegal reg flat bed trailer fully laden with coal sailing down the M2 into Dublin to feed them coal fires!

Coal from the North, where would we be without it! Probably never stopped by customs or Gardai on the way down.

Thoughts and wry smiles from a journey on the M2 to work Monday

lol Somebody ask Andy there does he drive a car and if he does is he going to change up his own tradition of burning fossil fuel ruining everybody else's health just like the fireplace people

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well they would be getting it in the neck from me given I just installed a wood burning stove a few months ago for 1.5k and I've about a ton of logs lying out the back :D

sacrifices for the better quality of life are priceless :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

sacrifices for the better quality of life are priceless :)

How do you heat your home Andy? And do you drive?

From the motors thread it seems like Andy does indeed drive.

Funny that.

Maybe he has the same car as Fred Flinstone and it is feet powered or something?

368100 wrote: »
    I think it's cosy and adds atmosphere to a room. But I also can't be bothered with the dirt and cleaning of the whole thing, so I bought an electric stove heater and just use it for flame effect.

House is warm enough anyways so don't need to use heater part but it does the job adding atmosphere.....still not as nice as open fire but I'm happy with the compromise :-)

yeah I'd be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

ill never give up our open fire.
    have no problem bringing in coal/cleaning the grate/chimney/lighting fire etc.

plus its our only source of heat. cant run to oil this year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

buried wrote: »

Funny that.

Maybe he has the same car as Fred Flinstone and it is feet powered or something?

...up and down to 51 Upper Mount Street every day?

• Advertisement

air wrote: »
    Not having any impact on the air quality in Irish towns and cities though, unlike our solid fuel fires.

I wonder if any other benefits like (as silly as it sounds) outside windows not needing cleaning as much or exterior paintwork keeping cleaner ? - I mean if soot particles are getting into the air it must have to settle somewhere hasnt it?

...up and down to 51 Upper Mount Street every day?

YaBBAA DaBAAA Dont DO it

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't have an open fire but have a stove built into fireplace, really cosy and very little mess with it.

deezell wrote: »
    But this will never happen unless people are incentivised. Our leaders are all stick and no carrot. Co. councillors have even less imagination, pandering as they do to the populist agenda. Here's a suggestion I guarantee would produce results. A program of chimney removal or disabling, to below the roof tiles, paid for in full by the state, and an immediate substantial reduction in property tax for compliant houses. Put their money where their mouths are. Architecturally significant chimneys could be disabled by a simple pouring of lightweight mass concrete filling the flue, not easily reversible. Actually this latter method would be very cost effective to perform with the right mobile concrete pump rig, you could do streets of houses in a day.

I am just trying to think of the last couple of life changing things people have been asked to do without incentive or reward and the couple that stand out in my head is smoking ban and ban on 100w light bulbs. on of the 2 most passionate things if you like. - a smoking ban came in , people werent rewarded with a reduction in the cost of cigarettes to purchase, loads didnt like it , also didnt like the thought of being shoved outside to smoke in the freezing cold .. but they did it. - 100w light bulbs were banned and asked people to buy CFL light bulbs. They complained that 'they werent as bright as a 100w light bulb' and some foamed at the mouth if they saw the last remaining 100w light bulbs on the shelves buying them all up LOL - i am sure there are most probably other hardships the general public have had to contend with but those are really the latest things I can think of now that even I am surprised people gave up .. in the end , especially furore at the beginning of the announcement of these things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

How do you heat your home Andy? And do you drive?

Based on the professor quoted in that Irish Times article and the link I posted on solid fuel emissions, he could drive a Ferrari 24/7/365 and still not have as much impact on air quality as a single solid fuel fire would have in a year.

We all cause pollution of various sorts, to a greater or lesser degree depending on lifestyle.
    The real answer to almost all environmental issues is a huge drop in world population.
    Short of that we need to eliminate pollution where we can, starting with what has the most impact.
    Burning solid fuel while there are plenty of cleaner and more convenient alternatives is a good example of this.

Do you drive a car Andy man?

well, wife does. I wanted her to buy BEV last February but wife frightened of range anxiety and i didnt know if the electricity to charge the BEV came from coal stations or peat burning stations .. anyway got a nice economical petrol engine car nearly 50mpg - didnt want a stinky diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

didnt want a stinky diesel

Modern diesel cars don't smell and they aren't smokey, just to clarify that ;)

Funny that.

everybody asking do I drive - sounds like you are loosing the argument but just clutching at straws - this thread is about open fireplaces and why would people be up in arms if there were a ban on using open fireplace or burning smokey fuel .

.. I mean if you like I could start another thread to discuss if I drive a car or not if you like , but its been done to death anyway how much pollution cars produce.

.. and no I dont have an open fire, havent had for years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

well, wife does. I wanted her to buy BEV last February but wife frightened of range anxiety and i didnt know if the electricity to charge the BEV came from coal stations or peat burning stations .. anyway got a nice economical petrol engine car nearly 50mpg - didnt want a stinky diesel

With the new smart meters coming in they'll be able to detect fellas charging their electric car and redirect the filthiest of electricity to those customers through an elaborate array of contactors at the local substation. If you do get one eventually just think of the gridmasters sniggering away at you behind your back from their control panels

air wrote: »
    Based on the professor quoted in that Irish Times article and the link I posted on solid fuel emissions, he could drive a Ferrari 24/7/365 and still not have as much impact on air quality as a single solid fuel fire would have in a year.

We all cause pollution of various sorts, to a greater or lesser degree depending on lifestyle.
    The real answer to almost all environmental issues is a huge drop in world population.
    Short of that we need to eliminate pollution where we can, starting with what has the most impact.
    Burning solid fuel while there are plenty of cleaner and more convenient alternatives is a good example of this.

indeed - if there were no cleaner way we could keep our homes warm invented and readily available (at the moment anyway until that fuel runs out) then I might have more sympathy with the subject.

but people burning stinky fuel that make people cough and splutter in the outside air and more than likely affect other respiratory breathing problems such as COPD, Asthma and emphysema and the like because they find it cosy and like the dancing flickering light and the crackles it makes - no, I am not so sure any more. Victorian times maybe but no, not in the 21st century

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Modern diesel cars don't smell and they aren't smokey, just to clarify that ;)

oh good - we all go out an buy a new Diesel then (better be fast before long now you wont be able to even buy a diesel vehicle soon ) - because there are more older Diesel cars on the roads every day with smokey stinking exhaust fumes than there are new ones ...

If d'EU marches in we just lay low for a while until it blows over and go back to the way it was.

.. or change our ways and end up thinking " do you know what? its not too bad, I am not going back to all that now and people are healthier now"

oh good - we all go out an buy a new Diesel then (better be fast before long now you wont be able to even buy a diesel vehicle soon ) - because there are more older Diesel cars on the roads every day with smokey stinking exhaust fumes than there are new ones ...

How old are you? Grow up... just because they are old stinky diesels on the road that has absolutely nothing to do with newer diesels, are you capable of inderstanding that? Furthermore your “50mpg” petrol engine produces more c02 than diesels.

Diesels will be around for a bit longer than you think they will ;-)

How old are you? Grow up... just because they are old stinky diesels on the road that has absolutely nothing to do with newer diesels, are you capable of inderstanding that? Furthermore your “50mpg” petrol engine produces more c02 than diesels.

Diesels will be around for a bit longer than you think they will ;-)

yep , but what is it you would like me (us) to do - give up driving .. just because i am citing that coal fires (especially with bituminous smokey coal) are making people ill

OK , I will stop driving .. but still people will light their fires and still people will go out in the (fresh?) air and still cough and splutter from the harmful fumes in the air in towns, cities and villages in Ireland especially on foggy days in the winter where the fumes just lie there and dont go up into the air .

yep , but what is it you would like me (us) to do - give up driving .. just because i am citing that coal fires (especially with bituminous smokey coal) are making people ill

OK , I will stop driving .. but still people will light their fires and still people will go out in the (fresh?) air and still cough and splutter from the harmful fumes in the air in towns, cities and villages in Ireland especially on foggy days in the winter where the fumes just lie there and dont go up into the air .

What you on about? Far as I’m concerned keepi driving, i certainly will ;-)

What you on about? Far as I’m concerned keepi driving, i certainly will ;-)

oh soz I thought you were maybe citing that I am potentially 2 faced saying that I am going on about people using cleaner fuel to heat up their homes whilst driving around in a potentially un-economical petrol car - I thought that is what you were getting at

oh soz I thought you were maybe citing that I am potentially 2 faced saying that I am going on about people using cleaner fuel to heat up their homes whilst driving around in a potentially un-economical petrol car - I thought that is what you were getting at

No not at all.

No not at all.

oh right sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseach-accuses-fianna-fail-of-anti-rural-agenda-over-smoky-coal-ban-969637.html

Leo the horny-handed son of the soil accuses FF of being an 'anti-rural party' over their stance on this issue.:rolleyes:

I'm a bit confused about this. Was it not the government who floated the idea of extending the ban on smoky coal to turf and timber in the first place? And if not where did it come from?

• Advertisement

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseach-accuses-fianna-fail-of-anti-rural-agenda-over-smoky-coal-ban-969637.html

Leo the horny-handed son of the soil accuses FF of being an 'anti-rural party' over their stance on this issue.:rolleyes:

I'm a bit confused about this. Was it not the government who floated the idea of extending the ban on smoky coal to turf and timber in the first place? And if not where did it come from?

Labour’s Alan Kelly started the idea in 2015 - due to be banned nationally in all towns , cities and villages of Ireland in autumn 2018

and Minister for Climate Action and Environment Richard Bruton has now confirmed it will be pushed back. He gave no indication of when the ban would come into force - so shelved indefinitely it sounds like

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/government-delays-plans-for-smoky-coal-ban-following-legal-threats-from-industry-1.3849945?fbclid=IwAR1bJ2yurUq-EJwqd3_vFOZSTgRNmDcAcBAjT7aHYZutQQzFeV8VIIxk0Ws

Advertisement