Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

General Purpose trailer

  • 28-11-2019 7:25pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭ DJ98


    Looking for a general purpose trailer suitable for transporting quad, meal and sheep, not looking for anything fancy, would a single or twin axle be best? What would be the main difference?

    Looking at 2 options:
    New 8x4 single axle with mesh sides chequer floor and ramp , spare wheel, bradley lock,€1580 inc vat.

    New 8'2" x 4'2" twin axle with mesh sides chequer floor and ramp, spare wheel €2590 inc vat

    Thank you.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭ Water John


    Brakes and jack?
    Can you slide in a pallet, can be handy?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler


    DJ98 wrote: »
    Looking for a general purpose trailer suitable for transporting quad, meal and sheep, not looking for anything fancy, would a single or twin axle be best? What would be the main difference?

    Looking at 2 options:
    New 8x4 single axle with mesh sides chequer floor and ramp , spare wheel, bradley lock,€1580 inc vat.

    New 8'2" x 4'2" twin axle with mesh sides chequer floor and ramp, spare wheel €2590 inc vat

    Thank you.

    Is that Tuffmac, people around here now are buying nothing else.
    Seem to be the cheapest


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭ kk.man


    DJ98 wrote: »
    Looking for a general purpose trailer suitable for transporting quad, meal and sheep, not looking for anything fancy, would a single or twin axle be best? What would be the main difference?

    Looking at 2 options:
    New 8x4 single axle with mesh sides chequer floor and ramp , spare wheel, bradley lock,€1580 inc vat.

    New 8'2" x 4'2" twin axle with mesh sides chequer floor and ramp, spare wheel €2590 inc vat

    Thank you.

    Do u have to buy new? After all it's only for a quad and new one's devalue a fair bit.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭ DJ98


    kk.man wrote: »
    Do u have to buy new? After all it's only for a quad and new one's devalue a fair bit.

    Can't find anything suitable in donedeal, second hand


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler


    DJ98 wrote: »
    Can't find anything suitable in donedeal, second hand

    And they're usually a rip off,my nephew bought a trailer off donedeal and he always claimed his father paid westwood for the rest of it. He bought a tuff mac last week, his father is on his second tuffmac now


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭ DJ98


    wrangler wrote: »
    And they're usually a rip off,my nephew bought a trailer off donedeal and he always claimed his father paid westwood for the rest of it. He bought a tuff mac last week, his father is on his second tuffmac now

    My biggest fear would be that the seller may not be genuine and I could be buying a trailer that was stolen up or down the country, I know is probably a terrible attitude and that many sellers are probably genuine


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler


    DJ98 wrote: »
    My biggest fear would be that the seller may not be genuine and I could be buying a trailer that was stolen up or down the country, I know is probably a terrible attitude and that many sellers are probably genuine

    THey're usually selling because it's wore out,


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭ DJ98




  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭ Water John




  • Registered Users Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler


    Water John wrote: »

    I'd rather the wheels under for pallets


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭ DJ98


    How many ewes/40 kg lambs would an 8x4 single axle trailer hold?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭ jmreire


    You probably know this anyway, just to mention it. Be careful what you are using to pull it. Twin axle trailer's need bigger than an ordinary car.... has to be a van or 4x4. You can pull the single axle with the car though ( up to certain weight's, depending on the make and type of car )


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭ DJ98


    jmreire wrote: »
    You probably know this anyway, just to mention it. Be careful what you are using to pull it. Twin axle trailer's need bigger than an ordinary car.... has to be a van or 4x4. You can pull the single axle with the car though ( up to certain weight's, depending on the make and type of car )

    Would be pulling with 1.6 diesel car


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler


    DJ98 wrote: »
    Would be pulling with 1.6 diesel car

    What make, there's plenty of information on here, someone will tell you what it's allowed pull.
    On saying that I've never heard of any one being weighed, except maybe an accident


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭ Grueller


    jmreire wrote: »
    You probably know this anyway, just to mention it. Be careful what you are using to pull it. Twin axle trailer's need bigger than an ordinary car.... has to be a van or 4x4. You can pull the single axle with the car though ( up to certain weight's, depending on the make and type of car )

    Wrong. Number of axles is irrelevant. It is weights that matter.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭ Water John


    Twin axle is easier to tow. Trailer will always be carrying most of the load.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭ hopeso


    DJ98 wrote: »

    Do you know what make they are? How do they compare price wise against an established make?
    There's a fair price difference in the two you're interested in, but I'd go for the twin axle any day. Better balanced with a load, probably a lot steadier to tow, and certainly easier to reverse....No brakes on the single axle either....


  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ Ard_MC


    I have 10 x 5 twin axle tuff mac. Bought new 2 years ago and it was cheaper than your quote. PM me if want dealers details. Way up in Donegal though.

    Delighted with trailer. I'd go twin axle all the way. But if ur planning on towing it round the farm with the quad then single axle probably be best. I have both here.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭ Green farmer


    hopeso wrote: »
    Do you know what make they are? ..

    The Byrne trailers one looks like it's a Murphy of Kerry and the cork dealers look like it's a mcm.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭ jmreire


    Grueller wrote: »
    Wrong. Number of axles is irrelevant. It is weights that matter.

    So up to 750 Kg, single axle, 750 to 3.500 Kg twin axle then?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭ Green farmer


    I've only towed a twin axle, but often pondered a single axle. A few lads say the single has a lot less rolling resistance than the twin axle and you wouldn't feel it behind the car, so easier towed. Especially for handy trips for bits and pieces. The flip side is I'm guessing they can be bouncy ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ Ard_MC


    I've only towed a twin axle, but often pondered a single axle. A few lads say the single has a lot less rolling resistance than the twin axle and you wouldn't feel it behind the car, so easier towed. Especially for handy trips for bits and pieces. The flip side is I'm guessing they can be bouncy ?

    You will reverse the twin axle alot easier IMO.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Albert Johnson


    Ard_MC wrote: »
    You will reverse the twin axle alot easier IMO.

    +1 on this and as stated above it should be steadier, less bouncy, put less weight on the car and hopefully punctures shouldn't be as big a problem especially if loaded. If going for an 8×4 or bigger then I wouldn't even consider a single axle due to all the reasons above, double axle all the way and you'll have a very versatile trailer. Single axles are only suitable for a 6×3 or some other glorified wheel barrow imo, there grand for a trailer for land work, behind a quad ect but there not meant for heavy road work.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler


    Ard_MC wrote: »
    You will reverse the twin axle alot easier IMO.

    If it's bouncy, it's travelling with more weight on its front axle, car drawbar is too low, raise the drawbar and throw more weight on to the back wheels it'll be a different trailer, same with jeep trailer


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler


    Ard_MC wrote: »
    You will reverse the twin axle alot easier IMO.

    If it's bouncy, it's travelling with more weight on its front axle, car drawbar is too low, raise the drawbar and throw more weight on to the back wheels of the trailer it'll be a different trailer, same with jeep trailer


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭ Grueller


    jmreire wrote: »
    So up to 750 Kg, single axle, 750 to 3.500 Kg twin axle then?

    https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Trailers-/What-can-my-vehicle-tow-/

    That should explain it all in a way that would be far better than my pigeon english.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭ _Brian


    DJ98 wrote: »
    How many ewes/40 kg lambs would an 8x4 single axle trailer hold?

    We’ve an 8*4 here and it’s plated for 1000kg load, 1450 kg gross


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭ _Brian


    jmreire wrote: »
    You probably know this anyway, just to mention it. Be careful what you are using to pull it. Twin axle trailer's need bigger than an ordinary car.... has to be a van or 4x4. You can pull the single axle with the car though ( up to certain weight's, depending on the make and type of car )

    Incorrect.
    All done by weights.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler


    _Brian wrote: »
    We’ve an 8*4 here and it’s plated for 1000kg load, 1450 kg gross

    1000 kg that's 25 lambs, our trailer is 12 by 5 and I doubt it'd hold 25.

    8 by 4 is just over half the size of a 12 by 5 so 12 or maybe 13 lambs at the most


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭ Dinzee Conlee


    wrangler wrote: »
    1000 kg that's 25 lambs, our trailer is 12 by 5 and I doubt it'd hold 25.

    8 by 4 is just over half the size of a 12 by 5 so 12 or maybe 13 lambs at the most

    Have a 7x4 here, and it would hold 11 lambs at a squeeze...
    So 8x4 would be 13 all right I’d say...


Advertisement