Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a Night Owl or Early Bird?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Maybe you're tired in the morning from staying up all night thinking "what innocuous question can I ask people on boards.ie so that I can have a go at them when they answer?"

What are we at now, how clean is your house, how much sport does your boyfriend watch, when do you go to bed. I feel like you could get a commuting angle going if your offline life is still as bereft of human connection next week as it clearly is now?

What's the matter did I trigger you? Are you and your band of merry men who constantly thank each others posts going to report me again so you can close down the thread because your feels are hurt? Give me a break, nobody forces you to post and then you try to get threads closed because you can't stand over your own comments and say that you are being trolled.

Maybe you're tired in the morning from staying up all night thinking "what innocuous question can I ask people on boards.ie so that I can have a go at them when they answer?"

What are we at now, how clean is your house, how much sport does your boyfriend watch, when do you go to bed. I feel like you could get a commuting angle going if your offline life is still as bereft of human connection next week as it clearly is now?
    debok wrote: »
    He didn't force you to comment.

I don't worry about it. There's a gaggle of them who spend most of their time on here thanking each others posting and call me ignorant, judgemental, an idiot and plenty of other names yet they always seem to be the virtuous ones who want every thread closed because they don't like the topic under discussion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I don't worry about it. There's a gaggle of them who spend most of their time on here thanking each others posting and call me ignorant, judgemental, an idiot and plenty of other names yet they always seem to be the virtuous ones who want every thread closed because they don't like the topic under discussion.

In fairness to her, you seem to talk a lot of ballix

In fairness to her, you seem to talk a lot of ballix

It's called facts and truth. Many people have difficulty accepting both and you won't get those from watching Sky news either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I remember seeing a documentary that had a proportion of the population who were natuarally night owls as being something like one in ten or less. I suppose forums draw in the sleepless. Personally, I've always had trouble keeping a sleeping pattern but it wasn't truly messed up until I worked night shifts that everything was truly messed up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

It's called facts and truth. Many people have difficulty accepting both and you won't get those from watching Sky news either.

See the thing is, i can do whatever i like with my time. And i wouldn't call catching up with current affairs a waste of time or whatever it was you were suggesting.

You remind me of one of those kind of people, what's the name again..............oh ye, have it, a cockwomble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Night owl. If at home, could easily stay up til the wee hours every night. Especially nice in winter, catching up on a book or series. If out, I love the peace and quiet of the world after dark. The roads are empty, the streets are barren. Nothing nicer than a long night drive with good music or a good podcast on the car radio. Something very relaxing and zen about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

There are people whose body clocks aren't calibrated to 24 hour cycles, so their sleep time will gradually get later and later.

https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/non-24-hour-sleep-wake-disorder/

I definitely think I have a mild form of this. If left to my own devices (not having to get up in time for work etc) I'll gradually go to sleep later and later and after maybe 5 days I'll have a night when I don't sleep at all, just go straight through. Luckily I don't seem as badly affected as people mentioned in that article, but I do constantly feel as if I'm battling against my natural sleep pattern in order to get up in the morning. And I'm worse than a spoiled child for not wanting to go to sleep when I know I should :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

are you one of those people who wakes up and just pops out of bed or are you a night owl?
    I'm neither. I go to bed at a reasonable time and drag myself out of bed at 6:30. At weekends I get up around 7:30.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It depends on what substance I am abusing at the time....

But more of a night owl I would say. I only tend to be up early in the morning when I haven't been to the nest yet.

I have nightmares about alarm clocks. One time I was trapped in a room with a thousand clock radios bleeping at me with the alarm going off and the RTE Radio early morning weather forecast rambling in behind a fuzzy tone, " 1005 millibars …. rising slowly", I try to turn off each of the alarms but they keep rushing through their snooze. I end up waking again but then my head is sore and I feel paralysed lying in the bed, my throat becomes parched and I can smell the distinctive smell of day old female underwear... I begin to lose my breath as images of an old haggard neighbour emerge besides my bed. She is prodding me with an old oak walking stick and repeating the words " go on, get up you lazy phuck ya, get up to phuck". Her halitosis is abysmal and I begin to feel sick, sometime feeling bits of pre puke tickle the back of my tonsils. If I don't wake up I could projectile across the entire room. The alarms keep drilling until I eventually get up. Always with a large morning glory which takes 5 minutes to die down before I can urinate. It can be distasteful at times.

• Advertisement

See the thing is, i can do whatever i like with my time. And i wouldn't call catching up with current affairs a waste of time or whatever it was you were suggesting.

You remind me of one of those kind of people, what's the name again..............oh ye, have it, a cockwomble

Great comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Im a night owl at heart, but all the jobs ive ever had require me to get up early, ive always thought my ideal job would be a late afternoon start finishing around 12 or 1 but jobs like that are hard to come by obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I'm an early bird, but mainly, I just love sleeping. So I have no problem going to bed and getting to sleep really early, sometimes 9, usually between 10 and 11. And then wake up naturally early. I tend to be a lot more productive in the mornings, so leave the housework to that time. I've even cooked up dinners for the week and put them in the fridge at 6 in the morning

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Used to be a serious night owl, two kids later and I'm now an early bird.

Total night owl, I just don’t do mornings at all. Rarely will I get up before 8:30am on weekdays and often closer to 9. Work in tech so the places I’ve worked are very flexible so starting around 10am is grand.

Even the thought of having to get up every day at 7am or something like that would kill me never mind having to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

night owl i wanna turn myself into an early bird tho

I am destined to be a penniless novelist ....when i die my work will become famous and popular making others millions.

However during my life i will not be appreciated. I am pretty annoyed about this so i am resisting it.

My best ideas ..come at night.

So i am a night owl who resists it.

Total night owl, I just don’t do mornings at all. Rarely will I get up before 8:30am on weekdays and often closer to 9. Work in tech so the places I’ve worked are very flexible so starting around 10am is grand.

Even the thought of having to get up every day at 7am or something like that would kill me never mind having to do it.

I have to get up at 6.45 ...to just to avoid traffic really ..it can take an hr and half to make what would be a 30 min journey sometimes.

It doesn't suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Early bird I am happiest in the morning
    Goes down hill from then on

ZX7R wrote: »
    Early bird I am happiest in the morning
    Goes down hill from then on
    You a leo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It’s a daily struggle. Some of us are just born vampiric but I had to give up being a fiend of the nite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Night Owl, people who like the mornings are seriously weird for me, I find them depressing and being a Night Owl I'm always knackered at that time, they must be fresh and well able to sleep from 9 or 10pm onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You a leo?

Ah here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

100% Night Owl and don't want to change. I feel most natural between 4pm and 9am, and with a new job for the last few months I get to keep it that way. I now work 12 hour night shifts, 8pm to 8am so I keep the same schedule on my days off, not getting up until about 4pm and heading to bed around 9am. It's fantastic. The thoughts of being part of the rat race, the 9-5 people, it terrifies me. The traffic, the queues, I hate it. When i was working a 9-5, I would have to get up at 7am to be in time for 9am due to traffic. None of that anymore! And there's something nice about going against the incoming flow of traffic, makes me smile!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Early bird. But, I like the odd late night (like tonight... woooooo... nearly 11pm!!). I don't seem to need much sleep. My dad's the same, so are all my siblings. Don't like the day drifting away when I'm in bed, I've too much enjoyable stuff to be doing. Thankfully I married an even earlier bird.

100% Night Owl and don't want to change. I feel most natural between 4pm and 9am, and with a new job for the last few months I get to keep it that way. I now work 12 hour night shifts, 8pm to 8am so I keep the same schedule on my days off, not getting up until about 4pm and heading to bed around 9am. It's fantastic. The thoughts of being part of the rat race, the 9-5 people, it terrifies me. The traffic, the queues, I hate it. When i was working a 9-5, I would have to get up at 7am to be in time for 9am due to traffic. None of that anymore! And there's something nice about going against the incoming flow of traffic, makes me smile!

Good for you, congrats on the new job, it's good you found your natural clock niche.

(Those hours would absolutely kill me)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Total early bird over here. Tonight now is pretty late for me but I work for myself and today was a late one so I'm only after eating and will head off now to zzzzzzzz in half a hour. Wintertime is total hunker down time for me, would go to bed most evenings at 9-10pm, might wake up at 1-2am for 30 minutes, then back to sleep until 7am. Summer time it would be much less sleep , go to zzzzzzz whenever it starts to get dark, but once the Sun comes up in the morning I will get up then and stay up for the day, that could range from 4 or 5am.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Long-standing night owl. From secondary school onwards, I refused to go to bed before 12am-1am. It would leave me knackered the next day in school but I just hated going to bed early. It made me feel claustrophobic. That continued into my working life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I'm a night owl. If left to my own devices I would sleep during the day and stay up all night. However I don't think that's good for your mental health. Sure its a bitch getting out of the bed in the morning(especially the cold dark ones) but you feel better overall adhering to a regular structure. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I ussually go to bed around 12.30am....

I spend evening with family and put kids to bed 8pm with stories ... walk dogs for hour then make mine and kids lunches and watch a bit of tv or phone like now...

I'm up at 5.45 and straight to gym or go for run for roughly 35mins then do stretches and watch sky sports videos , shower and home for 7.30 ...

Get kids up and dress them then out door to work 8.30am

I have to say I love that 2 hours in morning and dog walking at night. .

I generally dont do much weekend , maybe a cycle sat morn during summer .... weekend is kids time

Night owl or early bird......prob a bit of both

• Advertisement

I ussually go to bed around 12.30am....

I spend evening with family and put kids to bed 8pm with stories ... walk dogs for hour then make mine and kids lunches and watch a bit of tv or phone like now...

I'm up at 5.45 and straight to gym or go for run for roughly 35mins then do stretches and watch sky sports videos , shower and home for 7.30 ...

Get kids up and dress them then out door to work 8.30am

I have to say I love that 2 hours in morning and dog walking at night. .

I generally dont do much weekend , maybe a cycle sat morn during summer .... weekend is kids time

And I thought I didn't need much sleep!!! I'd say you eat like a machine.

Advertisement