Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Cybertruck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Thats some cool looking truck , great to see someone pushing the boundaries .

Unbelievable cheap as well . Tesla can't be making much money on them surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Barr wrote: »
    Thats some cool looking truck , great to see someone pushing the boundaries .

Unbelievable cheap as well . Tesla can't be making much money on them surely.

You believed the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

So spent my lazy weekend reading and watching a bunch of videos on the truck.
    These two were good
    https://youtu.be/OX1xG0a4TVo

And
    https://youtu.be/e5taegoOjSM

And after 'ordering' one Friday morning, I am more than convinced than before.

It ain't pretty. It's brutal. And that why I love it.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Is this thing going to cost lotto money or will the average punter be able to afford it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's going to be big.

Can't find any width comparisons, but here it is with an F150.

190516_009_764A0802_FordF150-tesla-2-2-640x236.jpg

Ford F-150 Raptor vs the Cotswolds: US truck on UK roads
    The world’s best-selling vehicle, the Ford F-150, is is too big by far for your average British road. Undaunted, we try one for size in the Cotswolds
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/ford-f150-raptor
    In town, it makes even less sense than it did out in the open. You drive in near constant fear of there being a car, or maybe a small bus, hidden in one of the vast blind spots, so you actually drive with much less assertiveness than everybody around you assumes you will. But you do relax into it and soon start driving through town with a sort of impunity, because it doesn’t actually matter if you roll a couple of wheels over a kerb when pulling out of a junction, for instance.

Eventually, in fact, you realise you aren’t restricted to the narrow bit of road in front of you, like you would be in a Ford Fiesta, say, and that you could actually drive right over whatever pavement or lawn or bush happens to be in your way, plotting your own course through the city as though the roads themselves are merely advisory.
    Traffic jam? Not for Raptor drivers.

You could just about make a case for the Raptor here in the UK if you happened to live on a farm, or in some remote Scottish wilderness. Everywhere else? It’s just too vast, too obscene.

Yeah, that's going to go down well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's alot longer than the F150.

Direct comparison here

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1198751258384818176?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Lumen wrote: »
    It's going to be big.

The world’s best-selling vehicle, the Ford F-150, is is too big by far for your average British road. Undaunted, we try one for size in the Cotswolds

Anything that size to sell in Europe would have to have 4 wheel steering etc really, similar to the Audi a8 and the like. I had heard some of the issues with towing in evs or hybrids was more to do with the regenerative braking. Cousin has a rav4 hybrid and it's only rated for 750kgs, it's not like it would be short of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

listermint wrote: »
    It's alot longer than the F150.

Direct comparison here

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1198751258384818176?s=20

Two wheel drive truck with no weight on the rear axle ain't exactly a fair comparison either, not that it may not do the same to that either

Mooooo wrote: »
    Anything that size to sell in Europe would have to have 4 wheel steering etc really, similar to the Audi a8 and the like. I had heard some of the issues with towing in evs or hybrids was more to do with the regenerative braking. Cousin has a rav4 hybrid and it's only rated for 750kgs, it's not like it would be short of power.

I can't see how regen would be an issue unless the battery management was crap. In the Model 3 Performance, the issue that prevents towing is the 20" wheels which aren't rated for the extra load. The 18" in the Model 3 LR allows 950kg to be towed.

Other than wheels, I think an issue is gross laden weight or whatever it's called, the total of car + trailer + load. Once that goes over 3.5 tonnes you need a different license, so since EVs are so heavy car manufacturer's aren't bothering to do the extra work if few drivers would be able to take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

kceire wrote: »
    What version did you reserve?
    The dual motor AWd. I reckon the tri motor will be more expensive here than the model 3 performance. Too much IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Mooooo wrote: »

The beefiest Cybertruck will be rated for 7 tons of towing so not sure how the RAV4 is related. The RAV4 would be very short of power after a couple of minutes when the small traction battery is depleted and it had to fully rely the Atkinson cycle 2.0. Hence the low tow rating.

The more I read about the Tesla truck the more I like it. If you're ordering get that C1 driving licence sorted out before the delivery date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

This PR towing malarkey is a load of bs.
    Tesla don't have a marketing department and do not advertise.
    So who arranged to have a Ford F-150 and Cybertruck hitched together dragging each other up hillz!!??

Most of the market are coal rolling F-150 nuts.
    Is this an attempt to pander to their "my truck has more powers than yours" I wonder...
    If this is the case, paint an Eagle on the front, and show it with the Nascar platform extension -> 600,000 reservations.

One unremarked aspect of the EV revolution is elasticity of demand, i.e. the possibility that when advanced EVs make driving cheaper and more pleasant, people will "use more EV", driving longer distances and/or using a bigger, heavier vehicle than they used when they had to pay for fossil juice.

I suspect that most of the $100 reservations are not from people who own an F150, they're from people that would have never dreamed of owning one, upscaling from a normal sized car.

This thing will have to have an absolutely enormous battery if it is to meet the claimed range number. Is a tonne or so of lithium battery progress?

For all Elon's spin about appealling to the truck owners, it's quite likely that he's manufacturing demand for these monsters.

Here's a length comparison from the F150 towing video.

I haven't changed the scale, I just flipped and moved the Tesla.

image.png

Here's a length comparison from the F150 towing video.

I haven't changed the scale, I just flipped and moved the Tesla.

image.png
    It would be a nightmare to drive around Cork City! There was a dodge ram parked across from my house yesterday and the size of it is ridiculous on narrow city streets. As much as I want a cybertruck, it would make little sense here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

200k orders now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

It's going to be big.

The rear headroom doesn't look brilliant at all unless they have some trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Ryath

These American full size trucks are massive. In Ireland a Ford Ranger looks pretty big but it looks like a toy beside the F150. It's over a foot wider and one to two feet longer depending on if it's the medium or long wheelbase. As a weekend toy if you could afford it the Cybertruck would be nice but living with it day to day in a city! You won't fit in most car parks!

496089.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Hard to imagine it going down some country lane with a grass strip down the middle.

embraer170 wrote: »
    The rear headroom doesn't look brilliant at all unless they have some trick.

The trick is that there is no frame underneath and totally flat floor all throughout the cabin. People that got testruns have reported that the cabin space is very airy and plenty of headroom in the back also and 6 equal size seats.

The construction of this vehicle is very intelligent compared to other American pickups.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    These American full size trucks are massive. In Ireland a Ford Ranger looks pretty big but it looks like a toy beside the F150. It's over a foot wider and one to two feet longer depending on if it's the medium or long wheelbase. As a weekend toy if you could afford it the Cybertruck would be nice but living with it day to day in a city! You won't fit in most car parks!

Yes, an F150 with mirrors unfolded is 2459mm wide. :eek:

Though for comparison, the largest Transit van is 2474mm wide including mirrors, and the length of the Cybertruck is in between the medium (L2) and long (L3) wheelbase Transit.

So I guess as long as you're happy with personal transportation the size of a big Transit van, it'll be grand. :)

Though for comparison, the largest Transit van is 2474mm wide including mirrors, and the length of the Cybertruck is in between the medium (L2) and long (L3) wheelbase Transit.

So I guess as long as you're happy with personal transportation the size of a big Transit van, it'll be grand. :)

I don't think this truck is supposed to be personal transport that Irish Yaris drivers will flock out to buy. If you need a vehicle that can carry large loads and tow boats and such this makes sense. But not many people drive a Transit as their everyday car.

99 percent of people in Europe are not the target market for this. Model 3 and Y are closer to what most people need.

samih wrote: »
    I don't think this truck is supposed to be personal transport that Irish Yaris drivers will flock out to buy. If you need a vehicle that can carry large loads and tow boats and such this makes sense. But not many people drive a Transit as their everyday car.

99 percent of people in Europe are not the target market for this. Model 3 and Y are closer to what most people need.

OK, but this is an Irish forum so it's interesting to think about whether this would work here. The horsey boaty people I know tend to drive things like a Range Rover Discovery, the specs for which are:

Kerb-kerb turning circle: 11.8m (4m less than an F150)
    Length: 4597mm (1.3m shorter than a Cybertruck).
    Width including mirrors: 2173mm (286mm narrower than an F150).
    Maximum towing: 1,800kg (4550kg less than Cybertruck).

So yes, if you need to tow something heavier than 1.8 tonnes, it might make sense, as long as you can cope with the enormous size when not towing.

The Cybertruck will also fit ATVs, bikes etc in the back, which a Disco won't. But it would be tricky to park at many MTB spots due to the length.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You'd be hard pressed to get a 5 series BMW into many car parks in Ireland. This is another 600mm wider again (two large rulers in my mind :) )

I've driven the F150 and it's like driving two cars. You need to lean over and stretch if you wanted to get something from the passenger seat.

European roads arent built for cars like these.

Bear in mind the Ford Ranger, which is massive by Irish standards, is only a mid size pickup in the US. You still have full-size and XL above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't think the European market for the Cybertruck overlaps with the Discovery/Range Rover market.
    Those few needing to transport their quad bikes on a pickup would find a Hilux more practical on European roads.
    Although if you have a Hilux, you probably don't need a quad anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

With all this mention of transits , the cybertruck would look deadly, with a levelled off roof line as a luxury VAN

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This (like all US pickups) is not for Irish roads, if you've been to the States and seen the F150, F150Sport, Silverado, Yukon, Yukon XL you'd know there's no way you could make your way on a L road if you meet any traffic and the turning circle to get it parked in an Irish car park is a joke.
    This is not the silver machine you are looking for, move along

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Bigus wrote: »
    With all this mention of transits , the cybertruck would look deadly, with a levelled off roof line as a luxury VAN

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It would be a nightmare to drive around Cork City! There was a dodge ram parked across from my house yesterday and the size of it is ridiculous on narrow city streets. As much as I want a cybertruck, it would make little sense here.
    What's the legalities of parking something like that... Its probably a good foot wider than a regular car,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I wish governments would cop-on and base road taxes on vehicle weight. A significant shift to EV's, which weigh a lot, will see a significant rise in road damage and costs to repair them. They should have done it years ago to discourage the vehicle weight/size arms race that's been going on.

Advertisement