Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let’s end door to door sales

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

What do ye think of this sales guy?

https://youtu.be/6EuA6hvDjg0

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Esse85 wrote: »
    What do ye think of this sales guy?

https://youtu.be/6EuA6hvDjg0

Anyone who takes time out of my day is annoying.

Inc that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Anyone who takes time out of my day is annoying.

Inc that guy.

You average over 1000 posts per month since you joined in May, sounds like you've too much time.
    You worried someone calling to your door will interupt posting on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Mostly chuggers around my way and occasional utilities providers but I think they all have my house blacklisted as a waste of time by now. The chuggers usually make a quick about turn when you explain that there's no way in hell that any direct debit will be entered into.

The funniest one was some gob****e from Advanced Pitstop a few years ago running the "I can save you money" routine, it was met with a swift "no you can't".

He mentioned some outrageous 4 figure sum as an annual saving and I pointed him to the bangernomics Volvo on the drive and explained that I had paid less than half the amount of the purported savings to buy it more than two years previous and that apart from consumables, it had cost me less than €100 in parts, both of which I'd fitted myself in minutes.

He clearly had been ready to retort with the next line on his script but thought better of it and ficked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Mostly chuggers around my way and occasional utilities providers but I think they all have my house blacklisted as a waste of time by now. The chuggers usually make a quick about turn when you explain that there's no way in hell that any direct debit will be entered into.

The funniest one was some gob****e from Advanced Pitstop a few years ago running the "I can save you money" routine, it was met with a swift "no you can't".

He mentioned some outrageous 4 figure sum as an annual saving and I pointed him to the bangernomics Volvo on the drive and explained that I had paid less than half the amount of the purported savings to buy it more than two years previous and that apart from consumables, it had cost me less than €100 in parts, both of which I'd fitted myself in minutes.

He clearly had been ready to retort with the next line on his script but thought better of it and ficked off.

Wtf? He called to your door?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Wtf? He called to your door?

Some ****e they chanced their arm with a few years back where for a very special low monthly fee, you got X hours labour for maintenance and repairs over the the year, you'd still have had to pay for parts. Not sure there were many takers.

Esse85 wrote: »
    You average over 1000 posts per month since you joined in May, sounds like you've too much time.
    You worried someone calling to your door will interupt posting on here?

I post fast. I don't even go online every day.

And yes its MY time ..companies trying to persuade me its NOT my time can **** right off

LirW wrote: »
    And I honestly don't know if it's worth to keep field sales in this day and age.

What gets me is why people haven't worked out it isn't? Plus all the spam emailing that person who walked into your business 9 months ago and gave you an email but bought nothing.

This guy said to me they can't keep emailing you after 12 months if they don't contact you back. But he cheerfully said 'but you can get around that'.

I am like ...WHY ? You are sending them emails for 12 months and still they haven't contacted you or bought anything. What do you really think your chances are?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

can we also get rid of those agressive buyer and sellers than frequent those Facebook buy and sell pages

Theres chancers out there who are selling 'toy show goodie bags' with probly all the stuff you buy at dealz and mr price etc and for there own personal mark up

Some ****e they chanced their arm with a few years back where for a very special low monthly fee, you got X hours labour for maintenance and repairs over the the year, you'd still have had to pay for parts. Not sure there were many takers.

But I can't believe he was going door to door.
    The cheek!

• Advertisement

Any time i have ever opened the door to a sales person the offer they were selling was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I'm vaguely impressed if they brave walking on the road outside my house. Only one has, who was selling "high speed broadband', which was some wireless sh!t. We have FttH, as do all our neighbours. So, like, go away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Unless you can regulate the traveler community it won't end!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I had no idea this went on! Living remote as I have done nearly 2 decades and the only ones who managed to infiltrate were the JWs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Had one experience with the dodgy charity clothes lad getting antsy because I couldn't return his bag that he dropped in my letterbox.

Seriously rang my doorbell to get the bag back! Started saying it was his property. My toddler had destroyed it, pity didn't still have it and shove it in his gob in a Falling Down type meltdown :)

Just told him to feck off and that anything that is put in my letterbox becomes my property and closed the door in his face.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    can we also get rid of those agressive buyer and sellers than frequent those Facebook buy and sell pages

Theres chancers out there who are selling 'toy show goodie bags' with probly all the stuff you buy at dealz and mr price etc and for there own personal mark up

In what way are they aggressive? Surely it's capitalism if they want to do this? Surely they don't force anyone to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

I don't buy anything at the door but I'd be polite to the younger ones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I worked for this third party company briefly but on another campaign. It's such a depressing job and only a few last longer than a couple of months. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of nice people working there, it's just that days are long, money is little unless you're really good and cutthroat. Everyone who works there knows exactly they're going on people's nerves and everybody hates them.
    Whenever I see one of them so at least keep if friendly, I was on the other side and can attest how miserable it is for most, especially the ones that REALLY need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Those were cheeky feeks too.
    Dropping a catalogue into the house and saying there was a charge if you didn't return it.

What catalogue?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Do many people answer the door to them though? I know we don't. If I'm not expecting callers I don't answer the door full stop. If I want to change energy suppliers I'll look online. Basically, I'm not giving my personal details to some random stranger who knocks the door trying to sell me something. There's too many scam artists as it is and it's a bit weird in the 21st century to have cold callers from electricity suppliers or broadband companies going door to door. They do enough online and media advertising as it is.

Had one a couple of hours ago and my doorbell is disconnected so got a cretin with a really annoying loud knock - 3 times! Didn't answer but by the cockiness of the knock it was an obviously overconfident ahole.

Is it illegal to throw water out your upstairs windows at aholes :)?

Had one a couple of hours ago and my doorbell is disconnected so got a cretin with a really annoying loud knock - 3 times! Didn't answer but by the cockiness of the knock it was an obviously overconfident ahole.

Is it illegal to throw water out your upstairs windows at aholes :)?

I had water thrown at me from upstairs in a European city for singing at an unholy hour. I fully deserved it and so does anyone banging on your door in a non emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Why would buy something to 'make the salesperson's day'?

Its not a 'nice' thing to do. Its just letting their bosses continue to get them to work without paying them.

Walking around trying to sell is work. If you want someone to do it for you then you should PAY then by the hr.

I say we boycott all door to door sales people until companies start paying them the hrly MINIMUM wage.

Why would I like to make their day? Because I'd like them to get paid. Your idea is nice, but does nothing for the person in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Cowboy builders/gardeners are real cheeky arrogant fúckers these days.

I had one of these rude clowns calling up at my door today. They must have came to me after they probably gouged other people of their hard earned money around the estate. His workmate was doing work next door. The senior fella came up to the front garden to say to me that I knew him for doing some work years ago. I thought he was a real cúnt to say that to me. I didn't know him at all & I then proceeded to say to him that No I didn't know him.

After he had a chat with my mam. He went on the cut the front hedge in the garden after my mam told him 'No' for about 3 times. He did the job anyway.

I asked him to tidy up the stuff from the hedge although I should have done it myself. He did it & said the bill was for €120. I went to get the money on my own. When I came back. He then said to me that I was somehow €50 short. After talking with him for a short while. I knew that it was a lost cause. I just walked off in disbelief & slammed the door in front of him in a temper. Fúck me. What an utter nightmare. Some of my next door neighbours are elderly. So in this case; they a perfect target from being exploited by these assholes. How does it not get any worse?

There needs to be strict laws in place enacted by our government about what type of door to door people are deemed acceptable by people living in our society. No commercial business of any kind should no longer carry out any more door to door work because everything can be done online for that purpose. Established businesses need to upskill their own employees to do online sales or do telephone sales if their employment contracts allows it. The only people acceptable for calling up to the door to carry out home inquiries should be political party & referendum campaigners & employees from Gas/Electricity companies and IW & that should be it IMO. If any scumbag either ignores or circumvents this law. They should get a court appearance, a 15 year prison sentence &/or €10k fine.

Should that be enough to stem the pricks?

I had water thrown at me from upstairs in a European city for singing at an unholy hour. I fully deserved it and so does anyone banging on your door in a non emergency.

Ahole just came back,knock even louder know and same annoying type of knock, I was very restrained- just opened bedroom window upstairs and shouted no thanks and closed it. Could have given him a dressing down for the loud knock when we are trying to get a sick baby to sleep but couldn't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I lived in apartments for 15 years in central Dublin and was rarely bothered. On one of the few occasions it was to my benefit as I switched electricity provider for a better deal.

But yeah the modern trend of almost every company having these people call around is annoying. I even had a young bloke recently try to sell me an Irish Times sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

BDI wrote: »
    Hi,
    I would like the power of after hours to do some good over the next few months.

Let’s end door to door sales. I’m sick of them knocking on my door whenever I sit down for dinner. I’m sick of their bosses lying to them about the huge money they will make while they advertise the business while not making any sales or commission.

Can we all, no matter how lonely we are go to the door and shout, I don’t buy anything at the door, then go back to our lives.

I do this. I tell everybody I know to do this. Can you do this?

What else can we end by shouting from behind a closed door?

If al porter had stayed behind a closed door he wouldn’t be in the mess he is in now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'm the reason these people still exist! Only time I change provider is when someone calls.

Am often working at people's houses n end up buying stuff from lads going around. No stolen / second hand tho.
    Bought a couple of hand tools off an old timer last month. An ancient oul fella pulled up, very reasonable stuff - he went off happy out to get a few quid. N I was happy too.
    A more satisfying ( for me) transaction than a courier delivering after a few clicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Door-to-door salesman and charity collectors rely on bullying, harassment and intimidation to get business. Just tell them to f**k off.

Advertisement