Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Omerta and Sinn Fein

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,906 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Well, yes the Gardai are struggling, but when those criminals have the tacit support of the third largest party in the State, as well as the peace process dividend, it is difficult for the Gardai.

Also, as you well understand, criminal conviction requires guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, civil action requires the balance of probability, but the rest of us just need to use our critical faculties and assess the evidence before us, so I won't change a thing about my posts.

There's a poster here who can walk past a shop in Dublin and knows it's a 'Ra operation, even invited other posters to try it.

If it's that obvious that is some criticism of our Gardai and courts.

When they wanted to catch or pressure Dublin Jimmy they were well able to track him to the middle of England...so don't be giving us excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

sabat wrote: »
    No. They're there to pay "pensions" etc. and I assume operate largely as normal with perhaps some elements of money laundering from residual illegal activities such as cigarette and fuel smuggling.

Let's say a former Provo now has a flower arranging business and looks after a couple of his former comrades by helping them out with their bills. Does that qualify as 'IRA business'?

At what point to some oul fellas who were involved in the conflict stop being IRA men and start becoming just 'oul fellas'?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There's a poster here who can walk past a shop in Dublin and knows it's a 'Ra operation, even invited other posters to try it.

If it's that obvious that is some criticism of our Gardai and courts.

When they wanted to catch or pressure Dublin Jimmy they were well able to track him to the middle of England...so don't be giving us excuses.

Look, there is a poster here who can get a PM and decide that it is golden evidence of a FG conspiracy to own boards, and turns out later to be an elaboate hoax, so that only tells you to be careful what you read on boards,

You see, we all know that there has been a touchy feely easy easy approach to those who were formerly involved with the IRA. It is only when that goes outrageous that we see the likes of the good republican Slab dragged up before the courts. The rest of the time, the Gardai and customs let the little sleevens get away with it. Now, I think that is wrong, but I doubt you will agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Let's say a former Provo now has a flower arranging business and looks after a couple of his former comrades by helping them out with their bills. Does that qualify as 'IRA business'?

At what point to some oul fellas who were involved in the conflict stop being IRA men and start becoming just 'oul fellas'?

So you are saying that there are CAT issues with former Provos?

Apart from the corporate governance issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What do they stand for is the question people are asking. FG have done more for Irish unity during the Brexit negotiations than 15 SF working groups could ever possibly imagine.

That's tough for the hardcore Shinner.

This.

SF love to talk tough and wrap the tri-color around themselves, but in reality, it will be FF or FG that will be the ones to deliver a UI, if it ever comes to pass.

FG have done really well over the past 3 years, representing the Irish national cause in the EU over Brexit. It sticks in their craw that 'westbrit' FG are being better nationalists then themselves. Which makes people wonder, what is the point of them?

• Advertisement

Look, there is a poster here who can get a PM and decide that it is golden evidence of a FG conspiracy to own boards, and turns out later to be an elaboate hoax, so that only tells you to be careful what you read on boards,

You see, we all know that there has been a touchy feely easy easy approach to those who were formerly involved with the IRA. It is only when that goes outrageous that we see the likes of the good republican Slab dragged up before the courts. The rest of the time, the Gardai and customs let the little sleevens get away with it. Now, I think that is wrong, but I doubt you will agree with me.

I think if there are criminals operating they should be dealt with blanch.

You and others seem to have evidence and knowledge and are doing nothing with it. And making a fairly major criticism of the Gardai.

If you look at the Quinn x=case there does seem to be a blind eye being turned to this.
    If there is a money trail leading back to the IRA or any other organisation we need to know about it. Guys walking past shops and guessing doesn't quite cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The Irish media is bored out of its wits by sinn fein ...and NI to be honest.

So you are saying that there are CAT issues with former Provos?

Apart from the corporate governance issues?

What's CAT? My question isn't rhetorical - it's a genuine question. I don't know the answer.

markodaly wrote: »
    FG have done really well over the past 3 years, representing the Irish national cause in the EU over Brexit. It sticks in their craw that 'westbrit' FG are being better nationalists then themselves. Which makes people wonder, what is the point of them?

FG have done a very good job in holding the line on the border and if Coveney was in my ward he'd be getting a vote because he's been impressive on Brexit.

You make a good point, FG have, in a way, stolen SF's republican robes. If someone had told me this would be the state of play 5 years ago I would have laughed at the prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

FG have done a very good job in holding the line on the border and if Coveney was in my ward he'd be getting a vote because he's been impressive on Brexit.

You make a good point, FG have, in a way, stolen SF's republican robes. If someone had told me this would be the state of play 5 years ago I would have laughed at the prospect.

Fair play to giving kudos when its due.
    Normally when Brexit/FG is mentioned on boards some of the usual crew jump in about other stuff.

What we as Irish people have to remember, is that no one person owns the label 'Republican' or 'Nationalist' or even the tricolour.

It may come to a shock to some people but people like Leo Varadkar, Enda Kenny and Simon Coveny are also Republicans. It is just they don't have to sing rebel songs or shout 'up the ra' every now and again to prove that they are.

• Advertisement

I agree on that. On the Brexit thread I have heaped praise on Coveney in particular. And he is one of the reasons why I think there isn't a hope in hell of the Irish people rejecting a UI when we are given an opinion on the matter.

Everyone knows ultimately (even our partitionists here) what the problem is. The act where they got their political descriptor from - partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

Terrorists don't get to just decide to stop being terrorists because they got old.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

randomspud wrote: »
    Terrorists don't get to just decide to stop being terrorists because they got old.

Nah mate that’s literally exactly what happens. The conflict featured many protagonists. Now they’re retired and doing other stuff. Which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Odhinn

We could have a separate thread on historical issues the media doesn’t chase, and that would be a long list that you wouldn’t necessarily be happy with, but the issues in the article in the OP are contemporary not historical, so I will leave those historical issues for such a thread.

...but the issues aren't actually true, because the media do tear into SF - from the Indo/Sindo to Pat Kenny and co on newstalk.

Advertisement