Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Omerta and Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Seldom do you skim across a thread title, think that it might be a bit economical with the truth, but then plough on anyway and read the very first sentence,
    A very interesting article on a British website by Slugger O'Toole which addresses the issue of media reluctance to criticise Sinn Fein. The kernel of the argument seems to be as follows:
    and realise it's actually complete and utter Bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,906 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    The day I take Twitter as a rebuttal of anything will be a sad day.

What kind of reactionary nonsense is that? A sentence on twitter is as cogent as it is anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What kind of reactionary nonsense is that? A sentence on twitter is as cogent as it is anywhere else.

Often straight from the horses mouth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You don't think Tubbs having Mammy O'Rourke on for a chat or wee Willie O'Dea, plus support, helped them politically?

It's an opinion piece.
    This isn't about the ethics or values of Sinn Fein, it's about journalistic integrity.
    I can see during peace talks a media outlet might not want to upset the apple cart, but that would go both ways or in itself be pointless.
    If sides are brokering peace it's likely not in the public interest for any outlet to lambaste one side over the other either.
    This would not be favouratism towards Sinn Fein. It would most likely be responsible reporting during a short period where delicate talks for peace are taking place. It's certainly not relevant now many years after the GFA and the IRA standing down.
    In short, it's possible stories regarding all parties involved in talks were played down for the public interest. Singling out Sinn Fein and trying to sell that it's happening currently is biased farce.
    We've seen numerous bad press stories for SF over the years.

I think you underestimate the strength of continuing patterns and their resilience. You may well be correct that it originated at the time of the peace process and for good reasons, but it is the signs of its persistence into the presence that the author is questioning.

For example, look at the detail available on the Fine Gael leadership election, how the three electoral colleges were broken down:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Fine_Gael_leadership_election

Contrast that with the hidden process in Sinn Fein for the election of the deputy leader and the absolute secrecy around it while the boys in Belfast decided over cards and a few whiskeys who should get the job.

Yet, as Fealty points out, there has only been limited muted criticism of Sinn Fein for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think you underestimate the strength of continuing patterns and their resilience. You may well be correct that it originated at the time of the peace process and for good reasons, but it is the signs of its persistence into the presence that the author is questioning.

For example, look at the detail available on the Fine Gael leadership election, how the three electoral colleges were broken down:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Fine_Gael_leadership_election

Contrast that with the hidden process in Sinn Fein for the election of the deputy leader and the absolute secrecy around it while the boys in Belfast decided over cards and a few whiskeys who should get the job.

Yet, as Fealty points out, there has only been limited muted criticism of Sinn Fein for that.

You're in the wrong thread Blanch. If you want a 'Sinn Fein, here's what's wrong with them' thread, start one.
    This thread alleges the media purposefully give SF an easy time of it. I can cite numerous politically embarrassing stories myself and you've posted on all of them. In fact it's were you get most of your comedy gold.

• Advertisement

Often straight from the horses mouth too.

Absolutely. Great resource. Full of people with agendas but you can spot them like you can here.

Somebody has no need of journalists clearly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Bricriu

The utter and profound naivety of the opening post in this thread is astonishing. What planet does the poster live?

Sinn Féin are hammered incessantly by RTÉ Television and Radio, UTV, and BBC NI.
    I don't buy the rag, but friends comment on The Sunday Independent's obsession with denigrating Sinn Féin. The Irish Times is no better

Not only that, but any Northern nationalists, except SDLP, get extremely hostile treatment for these so-called media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Bricriu wrote: »
    The utter and profound naivety of the opening post in this thread is astonishing. What planet does the poster live?

Sinn Féin are hammered incessantly by RTÉ Television and Radio, UTV, and BBC NI.
    I don't buy the rag, but friends comment on The Sunday Independent's obsession with denigrating Sinn Féin. The Irish Times is no better

Not only that, but any Northern nationalists, except SDLP, get extremely hostile treatment for these so-called media.

The OP has an ongoing fixation with denigrating SF

The OP has an ongoing fixation with denigrating SF

's'probably why RTE, UTV, The Sindo The Beeb etc don't bother. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

I wouldn't vote sinn fein due to their lunacy economic policies, but its getting rediculous at this stage that every election someone is trotted out seeking justice for someone the ra shot 40 year ago.
    Do the indo have a selection committee to decide which one they run with each election?!

Between the DUP usual crap election tactic dragging up ancient history to blame SF on as they have no other tactic apart from blame and creating conflict and crap like this, a complete non story yet BBC running with it how is it exactly SF get an easy ride?

https://twitter.com/bbcnewsni/status/1197534464865382405?s=21

You're in the wrong thread Blanch. If you want a 'Sinn Fein, here's what's wrong with them' thread, start one.
    This thread alleges the media purposefully give SF an easy time of it. I can cite numerous politically embarrassing stories myself and you've posted on all of them. In fact it's were you get most of your comedy gold.

Address the issues in the link, don't just default to personal insults.

The article lists some of the many things wrong with Sinn Fein, and comments on the failure of the media to adequately report them. Address the issues.

It is easy to see how the wagons are circling, how the non-SF voting posters are out defending SF, how the defensive attitude kicks in, how the personal insults kick in, yet not one of the points in the article are rebutted.

Blanch the entire premise of the piece is not just flawed it completely untrue.

Address the issues in the link, don't just default to personal insults.

The article lists some of the many things wrong with Sinn Fein, and comments on the failure of the media to adequately report them. Address the issues.

It is easy to see how the wagons are circling, how the non-SF voting posters are out defending SF, how the defensive attitude kicks in, how the personal insults kick in, yet not one of the points in the article are rebutted.

Everybody has given their opinion of the idea that media is being soft on SF.

It's a nonsense opinion and doesn't bear even the slightest scrutiny in fact.

Between the DUP usual crap election tactic dragging up ancient history to blame SF on as they have no other tactic apart from blame and creating conflict and crap like this, a complete non story yet BBC running with it how is it exactly SF get an easy ride?

https://twitter.com/bbcnewsni/status/1197534464865382405?s=21

LOL, do you call that anything other than an easy ride? That was one of the softest questionings I have ever seen.

Everybody has given their opinion of the idea that media is being soft on SF.

It's a nonsense opinion and doesn't bear even the slightest scrutiny in fact.

Not one single poster has addressed in detail any of the issues raised in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

SF come in for a kicking every time they’re mentioned on RTÉ. It’s company policy

How often do you see or hear anyone from SF on RTÉ? Or any station or radio?

Never.

Mary Lou got a long solo innings on the politics show on RTE 1 last Sunday evening. The poor dear still doesn't know why the SF vote halved last summer!

Not one single poster has addressed in detail any of the issues raised in the article.

The issue in the article was the media's treatment of SF.

If you are talking about the examples you gave, maybe open threads on them...or at least present something other than a statement.

The issue in the article was the media's treatment of SF.

If you are talking about the examples you gave, maybe open threads on them...or at least present something other than a statement.

The responses were the equivalent of children putting their hands over their ears and saying "I don't want to hear and you are being mean".

• Advertisement

The responses were the equivalent of children putting their hands over their ears and saying "I don't want to hear and you are being mean".

blanch, the responses are from people who actually watch and read media, and who know there is no 'easy ride' for SF. Numerous citing of examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I listened to Fealty on BBC Radio 'Ulster' this morning and he seemed to have difficulty articulating his issues he raised with regards to SF himself.

Even Nolan scoffed at the notion the media give SF an easy ride. Another commentator pointed out that DUP appoints leadership roles internally.

What exactly is the issue?

I listened to Fealty on BBC Radio 'Ulster' this morning and he seemed to have difficulty articulating his issues he raised with regards to SF himself.

Even Nolan scoffed at the notion the media give SF an easy ride. Another commentator pointed out that DUP appoints leadership roles internally.

Same on twitter. I think Fealty exposed his oft exposed bias again. The Slugger does some good work(at exposing frailties in SF) but it can be dodgy at times too.

171170 wrote: »
    Mary Lou got a long solo innings on the politics show on RTE 1 last Sunday evening. The poor dear still doesn't know why the SF vote halved last summer!

She was grilled and roasted and dealt with it well.

NI twitter accounts were saying this is how you do journalism and why the DUP don’t get the same tough questioning. Cos they really really don’t.
    They’re never challenged at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Clickbait article shared for trolling shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Whatever about the media scrutiny or not one thing is for sure is that if you look at the way SF manage their internal structure then you see what life would be like under a SF government.

No leadership contests
    As leader lasting 3 decades regardless of scandals associated with them.
    Allegations of bullying
    etc etc

If it was any other party the leader would be out on their ear ages ago.

I keep saying it, the day SF win an election is the last day we will vote.

So DUP do the same? More evidence for those two parties being the joint lowest of the low in my opinion. Have to laugh at someone using the DUP’s behaviour to defend SF?

Whatever about the media scrutiny or not one thing is for sure is that if you look at the way SF manage their internal structure then you see what life would be like under a SF government.

No leadership contests
    As leader lasting 3 decades regardless of scandals associated with them.
    Allegations of bullying
    etc etc

If it was any other party the leader would be out on their ear ages ago.

I keep saying it, the day SF win an election is the last day we will vote.

Personally I am fecking delighted that both McGuinness and Adams were there to lead SF through the peace process. If that had failed, if they hadn't been able to keep people on side through it all, where would we be?

What does your last sentence mean? You think they will shut down voting and democracy if they get into power?

tipptom wrote: »
    Clickbait article shared for trolling shocker.

Desperate response from desperate poster, is that all you can come up with?

• Advertisement

Same on twitter. I think Fealty exposed his oft exposed bias again. The Slugger does some good work(at exposing frailties in SF) but it can be dodgy at times too.

Twitter? Full of shills from every party, why would you put any faith in anything you see on Twitter?

Advertisement