Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Toy Show 2019 - Friday 29th. November 9.35pm

Options
1565758596062»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

blueshade wrote: »
    Take a look at the child. The first thing you see is a boy. Not a little girl with short hair and saying otherwise is disingenuous. This is only an issue because it was made an issue by the child's family, Tubridy and the LLS. This wasn't a bullying issue. Lots of poor kids get bullied every day for all sorts of reasons, this was an agenda to include LGBT into a Toy Show. There was no need for transgender Barbie ffs. A doll is a doll, if boys want to play with dolls that's fine.

Sorry but those are your own prejudices. I saw a little girl called Sophia who was wearing sporty clothes and had short hair. She very clearly looked like a girl, she has beautiful, feminine features.
    You saw what you wanted to see.
    I didn't see any transgender barbies. And as for the LGBT agenda, you will have to point out to me where anything of the sort was mentioned, particularly in realtion to Sophia, because I didn't see it.
    This is a kid that is going home from school crying because they are being bullied for making themselves look like a boy when they are a girl. That is something that is wrong and it's totally avoidable by having stopped the child from doing this at 8 years of age. I had friends who were total Tomboys when we were kids there's no way in hell their parents would have let them cut their hair short and dress like a boy.

That child was bullied for various reasons long before she ever cut her hair short. Regardless, its unacceptable.
    She shouldn't be bullied for any reason, let alone for her choice for haircut. Adults like yourself are perpetuating this attitude that its ok to single someone out for being different. It isn't.
    She could grow into a teenager who loves makeup & girly things. Or she may continue to prefer short hair and more casual style.
    Either way, her mother isn't forcing her to be someone she isn't. She's letting her express her own style, her way.
    Its not like she changed her name or is signing her up for hormone blockers, for goodness sake. Do you really think it would be better and Sophia would be happier if she was forced to wear pink dresses?
    Who's best interests would that be in, the perpetually offended or Sophias?

We honestly thought that Sophie was a boy and then we saw the interview and weren't sure if she was a boy trying to be a girl or vice versa and that is the point. Trying to reduce this to a child with a short haircut is just pathetic. All said and done, this is a Toy Show thread and there shouldn't be any discussion of this because the child shouldn't have been brought on to be exploited. The adults know better.

Her name is Sophia. And that's hilarious seeing as you're one of the people who are hell bent into making this a social outrage issue.
    Take it for face value. She is a child who is different to her peers and is being bullied for that. Instead of trying to force the child to change herself to fit in with the other kids, how about we teach our children to be more accepting and less judgmenta of others?
    You're all but saying she deserves what she's getting because of how she looks. That's despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Take a look at the child. The first thing you see is a boy. Not a little girl with short hair and saying otherwise is disingenuous. This is only an issue because it was made an issue by the child's family, Tubridy and the LLS. This wasn't a bullying issue. Lots of poor kids get bullied every day for all sorts of reasons, this was an agenda to include LGBT into a Toy Show. There was no need for transgender Barbie ffs. A doll is a doll, if boys want to play with dolls that's fine.

This is a kid that is going home from school crying because they are being bullied for making themselves look like a boy when they are a girl. That is something that is wrong and it's totally avoidable by having stopped the child from doing this at 8 years of age. I had friends who were total Tomboys when we were kids there's no way in hell their parents would have let them cut their hair short and dress like a boy.

We honestly thought that Sophie was a boy and then we saw the interview and weren't sure if she was a boy trying to be a girl or vice versa and that is the point. Trying to reduce this to a child with a short haircut is just pathetic. All said and done, this is a Toy Show thread and there shouldn't be any discussion of this because the child shouldn't have been brought on to be exploited. The adults know better.

stop exploiting her then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Surly the solution is for RTE to do a separate Woke Woke Toy Show for all the SJW's and revert to a more traditional Toy Show for kids.

Surly the solution is for RTE to do a separate Woke Woke Toy Show for all the SJW's and revert to a more traditional Toy Show for kids.

or maybe a backward toothless simpleton show for people who long for the good ol days

Traditional? Did it ever occur to you that the children & families on this years show are a true representation of what current Irish society is actually like?

We are more inclusive & understanding of children with disabilities such as autism than ever before.
    Blended families are considered par for the course, and same sex parents are becoming increasingly common.
    We no longer enforce the gender stereotypes of boys play with cars & tractors and girls play with dolls.
    We encourage our children to express their personalities, via their clothing and personal style & recognise and embrace their individuality.
    We endeavor to celebrate our differences rather than pick on them or use them as an excuse to treat someone badly.

This is the reality of the country today, and thank goodness for that.
    You're only fooling yourself if you think a "traditional" toy show would be any reflection on our society, because most kids wouldn't be able to relate to it. It wouldn't reflect their families & friends in school and the world they are growing up in.
    And that has nothing to do with being a woke SJW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

or maybe a backward toothless simpleton show for people who long for the good ol days

:pac: :pac: :pac:

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Traditional? Did it ever occur to you that the children & families on this years show are a true representation of what current Irish society is actually like?

We are more inclusive & understanding of children with disabilities such as autism than ever before.
    Blended families are considered par for the course, and same sex parents are becoming increasingly common.
    We no longer enforce the gender stereotypes of boys play with cars & tractors and girls play with dolls.
    We encourage our children to express their personalities, via their clothing and personal style & recognise and embrace their individuality.
    We endeavor to celebrate our differences rather than pick on them or use them as an excuse to treat someone badly.

This is the reality of the country today, and thank goodness for that.
    You're only fooling yourself if you think a "traditional" toy show would be any reflection on our society, because most kids wouldn't be able to relate to it. It wouldn't reflect their families & friends in school and the world they are growing up in.
    And that has nothing to do with being a woke SJW.

look susie, if they don't play GAA and like the two johnnies and ham sandwiches they need to go over the BBC or some other hedonistic den of sin

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is a kid that is going home from school crying because they are being bullied for making themselves look like a boy when they are a girl. That is something that is wrong and it's totally avoidable by having stopped the child from doing this at 8 years of age.

Ridiculous
    So the way to avoid bullying is to conform, be the same as everyone else and hope the bullies pick on someone else

Not much good for the red haired kid, the glasses wearing kid, the tall kid, the short kid, the fat kid, the thin kid, is it?

I had friends who were total Tomboys when we were kids there's no way in hell their parents would have let them cut their hair short and dress like a boy.

There's no law or rule that says women or girls have to have long hair. It's ridiculous to enforce a dress code on a child that isn't enforced on adults (and I include school uniforms in that)

So anybody who has a haircut you disapprove of should not be allowed on TV.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Or we could teach children that girls who want to cut their hair short aren’t some alien sub species worthy of cruelty and ridicule. Having long hair isn’t some kind of protective shield against being bullied, or else the majority of girls would never have to experience it. And as has already been explained to you, which you wilfully ignored; Sophia was still bullied when she had longer hair.
    I applaud Sophia’s parents for letting her express who she is through harmless experimentation. It seems the poor child was stuck between a rock and a hard place; conform and be bullied or be true to herself and still be bullied.

As an aside, I sincerely hope you don’t have children. Your attitude is the kind of one that gives bullies their fuel. And if you do then I feel extremely sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Can't believe that a full week later people are still discussing sexuality and gender identity in relation to an 8 year old child. Get over it, the kid is who she is. Same goes for all the other kids.

Yeah, the show could have had more toy demonstrations for sure. That'd be my main criticism of it.

But having kids from various backgrounds? A kid with a sick brother, one who has 2 mums, a kid with downs, one who's being picked on for looking different (and at that age, let's not put a label on a child so we can fit them into an adult box... let's just leave them to be the person they are) ?? This reflects society today. Sure, most kids live more typical lives, but not all do. And no matter what people on here think, it's actually really important for kids to have role models who are like them, to see themselves represented. There were plenty of average Joe kids on it. The balance doesn't have to be statistically reflective of society at large to be fair to, and do right by, the kids watching the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My niece as a child would pull her hair out if it started getting too long. She's always kept it short (not as short as Sophia, but still quite short). She's also always been a huge tomboy.

She's 20 now. No sign of being trans or anything. Still short hair, still tomboy, but also dolls herself up and goes very girly when going out etc.

Short hair tomboy =/= trans, especially at 8 years old. Nobody said anything about her being trans, her mother came out in an article and said she's not trans. Why this is even a discussion is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Penn wrote: »
    Nobody said anything about her being trans, her mother came out in an article and said she's not trans. Why this is even a discussion is beyond me.

Because of daft stuff like this...
    Take a look at the child. The first thing you see is a boy. Not a little girl with short hair and saying otherwise is disingenuous.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Penn wrote: »
    .... Nobody said anything about her being trans....

inherent personal biases of some people took it as being an imposition on them of some "agenda"....

id hate to be living under the cloud of fear that they do, cant be good for their health.

Can't believe that a full week later people are still discussing sexuality and gender identity in relation to an 8 year old child. Get over it, the kid is who she is. Same goes for all the other kids.

And surely that’s the point. She’s an eight year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The Danish Girl on RTE1 now,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

The Danish Girl on RTE1 now,
    Was it on the Toy show as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Yeah, Barbie have brought out the "Danish Girl" doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I thought Tubridy was really good to be honest although there was some cheap sentiment. I did chuckle though when he said "bullies never win".

ya that's all very twee,

but as well all know that's not always the case in the big bad world :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Do you mean the good old days when people didn't accept a confused 8 year old child's claims that they are a different gender to the one they were born with? So many woke folk too busy patting themselves on the back at how liberal they are and not actually caring what the future holds for this confused little girl who thinks she's a boy. What next, we got transgender Barbie this year, will it be transgender Barbie with an accessories range of puberty blockers? What I saw was a little girl who in future years will possibly be a butch lesbian, which is fine, not a boy.

So many of you are so keen to throw insults at me and at other posters who won't tow this Frankenstein trans kids are normal line and I don't believe you giving a flying fook about the child. The Toy Show was no place for it, then again it hasn't been a Toy Show for years. So many of you saying she's not trying to be a boy, wake up and look at the pictures, she's not just got short hair, she's already living as a boy. She's not a bad kid, she's not a freak, she's not a hero, she's a very confused little girl who is being terribly let down by the adults in her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,857 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Here we go again... :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement

Do you mean the good old days when people didn't accept a confused 8 year old child's claims that they are a different gender to the one they were born with? So many woke folk too busy patting themselves on the back at how liberal they are and not actually caring what the future holds for this confused little girl who thinks she's a boy. What next, we got transgender Barbie this year, will it be transgender Barbie with an accessories range of puberty blockers? What I saw was a little girl who in future years will possibly be a butch lesbian, which is fine, not a boy.

So many of you are so keen to throw insults at me and at other posters who won't tow this Frankenstein trans kids are normal line and I don't believe you giving a flying fook about the child. The Toy Show was no place for it, then again it hasn't been a Toy Show for years. So many of you saying she's not trying to be a boy, wake up and look at the pictures, she's not just got short hair, she's already living as a boy. She's not a bad kid, she's not a freak, she's not a hero, she's a very confused little girl who is being terribly let down by the adults in her life.

Where did she claim to be a different gender?
    Where did she confirm she is transgender?

Where did you get your crystal ball that is telling you that she’ll definitely be a butch lesbian as an adult?

Referring to a child, any child, as Frankenstein-esque is pretty disgusting of you.
    No wonder kids treat each other so horribly with adults like yourself setting such a fine, tolerant example.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Where did she claim to be a different gender?
    Where did she confirm she is transgender?

her mother posted about it in a facebook group, and discussed it on 98fm after the Toy Show
    https://www.98fm.com/podcasts/98fm-39-s-dublin-talks/mother-late-late-show-sophia-speaks

(but, I mean, you won't hear the phrase 'gender fluid' or the word 'transgender', so it doesn't count)

her mother posted about it in a facebook group, and discussed it on 98fm after the Toy Show
    https://www.98fm.com/podcasts/98fm-39-s-dublin-talks/mother-late-late-show-sophia-speaks

(but, I mean, you won't hear the phrase 'gender fluid' or the word 'transgender', so it doesn't count)

No, she said Sophia is a girl. No mention of being a boy, being transgender, or being gender fluid was made. So no, that's absolute projection and doesn't count.

am I going mad here?

you don't even have to listen to the podcast above, just read the introduction:
    Sophia is 8 years old and recently told her mother that she wants to live as a boy

but shur, The Danish Girl was just a film about a lad who liked to dress up...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jesus Christ lock this mess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep. Done.

Jesus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement