Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

Na445 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you fail on your repeat can you try for a third time or how does it work?

if you fail on your 2nd attempt then you're out of the completion altogether. However you can appeal the decision and get a 3rd attempt. Of course it all depends on the circumstances on how you failed it. I got in for a 3rd attempt after I appealed

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Na445

AF96DUB wrote: »
    if you fail on your 2nd attempt then you're out of the completion altogether. However you can appeal the decision and get a 3rd attempt. Of course it all depends on the circumstances on how you failed it. I got in for a 3rd attempt after I appealed

If you dont mind me asking why did you appeal it ? And was it a long process to appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

If you dont mind me asking why did you appeal it ? And was it a long process to appeal?

long story, basically at the end of my bleep test my instructor said that my foot didn't make the line at the last bleep. Silly stuff but I did make it, so I said to him at the time and he wasn't having any of it. I wrote to HR the next day and told them what happened and and then about 4 days later I got another date for like 2 days after that

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

When you become a Garda trainee do you have the same entitlements as if you are qualified? E.g. parental leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 NorthWestJ

Anyone know if you fail on your repeat can you try for a third time or how does it work?

I’d advise anyone not feeling up to the fitness test with a weeks notice to ring and defer , you only get 2 shots at it , don’t risk it , if you aren’t feeling ready for it , you can always defer for another date

• Advertisement

I wonder will we be doing the bleep test by ourself or will there be others.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Marty1476

AD07 wrote: »
    I wonder will we be doing the bleep test by ourself or will there be others.

I did mine with a group of about 8 but that was before covid, probably groups of four for distancing. It’s good to have others around you for motivation

Marty1476 wrote: »
    I did mine with a group of about 8 but that was before covid, probably groups of four for distancing. It’s good to have others around you for motivation

Ya I would much prefer to have others doing it too

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Spitfire2019

Does anyone know when usually the medical and fitness occurs after meeting the Super? Also just because you meet the Super, does this mean your vetting is completed or could be still ongoing? Any tips or advice when meeting the super? Thanks in advance all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Triplek

Does anyone know if your gp clearance form from last year for the originally dated pct will work as a proof of cert for fitness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cmc35

Does anyone know when usually the medical and fitness occurs after meeting the Super? Also just because you meet the Super, does this mean your vetting is completed or could be still ongoing? Any tips or advice when meeting the super? Thanks in advance all! :)

I had my interview with sergeant and inspector well before i done first fitness, so it varies from person to person. As far as i know, after meeting with inspector/superintendent, vetting still continues. Shave, and wear good clothes, doesnt have to be a suit i wore good jeans, jumper and shirt with brown shoes. They will usually ask you about your current job and why you wanted to join guards, mine was over and done with in less than 15 minutes.

Triplek wrote: »
    Does anyone know if your gp clearance form from last year for the originally dated pct will work as a proof of cert for fitness?

No it needs to be up to date, unfortunately it’s another doctors fee for a signature

Marty1476 wrote: »
    No it needs to be up to date, unfortunately it’s another doctors fee for a signature

Just rang HRM there. A lovely woman on the phone said my last years gp clearance form will do perfect and that I won't need another unless something has changed in regards to fitness.

Just rang HRM there. A lovely woman on the phone said my last years gp clearance form will do perfect and that I won't need another unless something has changed in regards to fitness.

Oh! Apologies, I was told by someone else that they spoke to hr and was told to get an updated one, sorry for passing bad information

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Niamhlol

Received a call today. PCT recommenced and happening at weekends throughout June.
    Any advice to a nervous candidate?

Niamhlol wrote: »
    Received a call today. PCT recommenced and happening at weekends throughout June.
    Any advice to a nervous candidate?

Congrats, from what I have heard, the beep test is most likely to catch a candidate out.

Download the 20 m audio online, and find a place to practice it for yourself.

Those who havent had practice and assumed that being able to run x distance in x time was sufficient, have often found out the hard way the beep test is a different animal.

Once you get used to it, the practice really pays off, but trying to learn the pacing for the first time on your actual test, is very risky in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rho336

Is anyone else feeling slightly terrified? I am 100% sure this is the job for me, but like a few others have said in previous posts I’ve also let the ball drop and don’t feel confident that I’ll nail a PCT if I have to do it in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Doyler8642

Rho336 wrote: »
    Is anyone else feeling slightly terrified? I am 100% sure this is the job for me, but like a few others have said in previous posts I’ve also let the ball drop and don’t feel confident that I’ll nail a PCT if I have to do it in the next couple of weeks.

Whats your OOM if you don't mind me asking?

Zux wrote: »
    Congrats, from what I have heard, the beep test is most likely to catch a candidate out.

Download the 20 m audio online, and find a place to practice it for yourself.

Those who havent had practice and assumed that being able to run x distance in x time was sufficient, have often found out the hard way the beep test is a different animal.

Once you get used to it, the practice really pays off, but trying to learn the pacing for the first time on your actual test, is very risky in my view.

Thanks Zux. Was doing great but lost it during Covid. Is the obstacle course difficult?

Doyler8642 wrote: »
    Whats your OOM if you don't mind me asking?

432, did the interview back in October 2019, PCT retest was scheduled for March last year but covid put the skids on it

• Advertisement

Was the call from an 01666 number? Got one today but didnt have the chance to answer or call back due to work. Can i ring back tomorrow or is my chance gone?

cmc35 wrote: »
    Was the call from an 01666 number? Got one today but didnt have the chance to answer or call back due to work. Can i ring back tomorrow or is my chance gone?

I got one too but also missed it, they didn’t answer when I rang back.

Yes it would of been from that number. The woman that was behind the phone today was so nice to deal with. So hopefully she's there tomorrow on the phone for you too.

I rang HRM today looking to be put on a cancellation list as I feel ready for my test and they rang back within the hour with a time and date for this weekend. Anyone who is waiting around for a pct and feel up to it. I'd recommend doing the same. As for anyone who isn't feeling too confident about it due to the lockdown I'm sure deferring for another few weeks won't dampen any chances of getting a place for an intake.

I heard there’s a whatsapp group for people waiting, anyone know how to get added ?

Yes it would of been from that number. The woman that was behind the phone today was so nice to deal with. So hopefully she's there tomorrow on the phone for you too.

Did u get a date? Hopefully they ring me again tomorrow if not ill email HRM. Id say if we pass this were in for the July intake.

Did u get a date? Hopefully they ring me again tomorrow if not ill email HRM. Id say if we pass this were in for the July intake.

Yes i got a date for this Sunday. For most people I'd imagine a weeks notice isn't great with different circumstances. :)

Yes i got a date for this Sunday. For most people I'd imagine a weeks notice isn't great with different circumstances. :)

Sunday?? Wow haha theyre really pushing on so, what time? I think ill be fairly confident going down soon myself, getting around 9 on the beep so i should be fine
    Best of luck in it!!

They were lovely over the phone today. Said pct happening for month of June so if you can’t make this weekend not to worry. They also said there were very few, if any, slots left for this weekend. He also said if you were contacted today for pct, assume your vetting is back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 madge91

Is it just a good shout to call HR and see what’s going on, I haven’t met with the super yet and or got a call for fitness but my OOM is 253. I was told in February my Vetting had cleared.

Advertisement