Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

Hey all. Can anyone tell me how leave while in training works? Is it a two week block or can you take it when you need?

There are 2 designated study weeks. Other than that leave is not permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Xtinab

My friend is passing out in February and their leave is cancelled they are straight into work the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,493 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Leave is permitted, you'll have to apply for it and provide wedding invites or doctors appointments etc. You can't get it just to go on the beer.

As said above there's no break after passing out, it was done away with after Intake 182.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭St.Brigids

I failed my first one because of the push-pull. I only got an average of 22kg instead of 22.5kg. I was gutted over .5kg.
    So I worked my arse off in the gym doing PT - a mix of weights and cardio three/four times a week and ran on a home treadmill two/three times a week.

Honestly it was down to the instructor we had on the day I think. We had a woman called Geraldine who was 6'2". She was a huge help.
    She explained to me and another short girl that the key was not to focus on upper body strength, as you might first think.

- When you're done the obstacle course and you need a breather, drop down and take your time retying your laces if you need a second or two.
    - When they tell you to have a 'trial' go at the push-pull, use and abuse it. Take as long as you can.
    - Imagine you're pushing a car. Yes it sounds dumb, but it helped me. When pushing a car, your arms are locked and the power comes from your thighs.
    - Push all the way until you hear the beep, then put the same effort into pulling it back to you. Re-adjust your stance on the pull-back if you need to.
    - Go hell for leather. Seriously. It's only about half-a-minute. Put your everything into every push forward and yank back.

But using the analogy of pushing a car really helped me and I got an average of 28kg on my second go.
    Hope that helps!!! :)

Thanks a million for this.

One last question. I presume pace doesn’t matter so much. I think I focused on that too much the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

Anyone know what email I can use to get info on deferral for completing my degree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 NathanG5060

For the medical, what do you need to bring with you for the day? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jadeie.t

St.Brigids wrote: »
    14th was original date.

I failed my PCT also but only got 2 weeks notice for my retest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 576hkg348rjn21

do you know if its a two week block, and how far into training they are? My wife will be working abroad, trying to get an idea of scheduling etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,493 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

do you know if its a two week block, and how far into training they are? My wife will be working abroad, trying to get an idea of scheduling etc

Given the time of year you'll may only get one reading week, it'll be decided a few weeks beforehand by the college and you'll be let know. If there is two weeks then they won't be back to back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

St.Brigids wrote: »
    Thanks a million for this.

One last question. I presume pace doesn’t matter so much. I think I focused on that too much the first time.

I did the same thing for my first time around - I completely focused on 'oh, I have to push/pull it as many times as I can before the beep goes off again!' It's only after Denise (my twin sister) passed it and explained to me what advice she'd been given that I copped on.

It's about generating a force, not like the beep test in a sense. You horse into it - I literally threw myself against it to go forward and dragged back as hard as I could - nearly hit myself once or twice on the backward stroke - but it definitely helped me focusing more on my legs than my upper-body strength. :)

For the medical, what do you need to bring with you for the day? Thanks!

Just yourself and some ID - licence, passport, social welfare card etc, anything that has your photo on it basically and that's it :)

You should be aware that it's a long wait of a day though - be early if you can, fifteen/twenty mins, and be prepared for it to take three or four hours. I was the last person on the list my day and I think it took about three-ish hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Triplek

Is anyone else waiting on a GP clearance form? My form b was sent on the 6th January. Got no email yet

• Registered Users Posts: 37 deenam

Received my GP clearance form on friday and has to be returned by next friday. Can anyone tell me a rough lead time from returning the form to taking the fitness. Really I need about 6 months to get ready for the shuttle test but I don't that will be happening :D

Thanks.
    received my GP on Friday 10th Jan, due back the 20th. Sent it in on 15th and got my PCT date today for 11th Feb!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 AD301

Any one have a number or email of who I contact. Still waiting on GP clearance and have form b sent off since december.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Triplek

AD301 wrote: »
    Any one have a number or email of who I contact. Still waiting on GP clearance and have form b sent off since december.

016662571, I rang this Today and they said mines still waiting to be cleared to pass onto the vetting stage. Give them a ring. Im sure they’re well use to it at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Can/should you bring anything into the interview with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Briano1996

If you fail fitness test what is the average time you need to wait until retest?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭St.Brigids

Briano1996 wrote: »
    If you fail fitness test what is the average time you need to wait until retest?

I got 6 weeks between them first on 14th jan and retest is 25th feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

Me aslo 6 weeks was tolf it would be 12, December 17th first pct retest 28th January

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

I got 9 weeks but was able to push it back to 12 weeks due to work commitments. I honestly thought 12 weeks was the minimum but when I contacted them they said all retests are done UP TO 12 weeks later. Which is not what they said in the college

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

Hi all, quick one regarding the situps, on the day did your shoulders have to touch the mat or your shoulder blades, I've been practicing with my shoulder blades touching the mat, think I did them that way the first time but it may vary from instructor to instructor. Cheers in advance. Have my retest this day next week, anyone else down the same day?

• Advertisement

Back should hit the mat, they're not going to nitpick. Hit the mat hard and use the bounce to help you back up faster

Anyone know if theres parking at HQ when you're there for the medical ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

Anyone know if theres parking at HQ when you're there for the medical ?

You can park in the Phoenix park and walk up i dont think you have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kerrystar93

Hi there for anyone that’s done the pct. can anyone tell me what happens throughout the day?Do we wear our shorts ? Or can we change into them? My thing is at 4 . So would I want to be signing in for 3:30, and have we much of a wait then or what.? Any info would be very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

Uweir32 wrote: »
    I got 9 weeks but was able to push it back to 12 weeks due to work commitments. I honestly thought 12 weeks was the minimum but when I contacted them they said all retests are done UP TO 12 weeks later. Which is not what they said in the college

I called HR asking about this before Christmas, as I didnt know whether to keep training over christmas or not. I was told on the phone that 12 week between tests was mandatory and to 'go enjoy christmas' so I did exactly that and didnt train, got an email 2 weeks ago to do my retest today. Borderline passed my bleep test but instructor thought otherwise and didnt pass me as he didnt think I got to the line on time, appealing tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Edsjd

MrMiata wrote: »
    Can/should you bring anything into the interview with you?

Is it the interview with the local higher-ups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Edsjd wrote: »
    Is it the interview with the local higher-ups?

Nope, I just asked in the wrong thread, it was for Stage 3.
    I felt like it went well, not great but not bad either.

I'm guessing it'll be a month until I get word?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Lcass

MrMiata wrote: »
    Nope, I just asked in the wrong thread, it was for Stage 3.
    I felt like it went well, not great but not bad either.

I'm guessing it'll be a month until I get word?

Approx a week after the last interview in your batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

Hi there for anyone that’s done the pct. can anyone tell me what happens throughout the day?Do we wear our shorts ? Or can we change into them? My thing is at 4 . So would I want to be signing in for 3:30, and have we much of a wait then or what.? Any info would be very much appreciated

I wore my workout gear arriving at the college. You sign in at the gate - they check your ID there and tick you off on a list. Then you head straight on for the main entrance to the college. One of the instructors will lead you into a lecture hall where you'll be for 20/30 mins.

During the 20/30 mins you'll fill out a form that you bring with you for the PCT (the instructors will fill in your results on this form) and the instructor will give you a quick run down of what the PCT entails and what's expected of you.

After that, the instructor will split you up into your different groups (A,B,C,D,E etc ... write it on the back of your hand, you'll be amazed how many people forget what group they're in).

The instructor will then lead you to the sports hall. There are changing rooms here that you can change in or keep your belongings in. I highly suggest showing up in your workout clothes though, because you could end up in the first group and they want to get things rolling as soon as possible.

You'll do your beep test first - once that is complete they'll lead you into an adjacent hall to do the sit ups and push ups - you will be given time to rest. So you get the second group's beep test as your time to catch your breath and rest before you do your sit ups and push ups.

After this you'll have a break of an hour and a half to two hours where they'll tell you to gather in the 'glass building'. There's a shop here and a coffee dock station, so grab something to eat or eat the lunch/food you bring with you. After an hour and a half or two hours, your instructor will lead you upstairs to do the obstacle course/push-pull machine.

It's a long day - bring plenty of water, lunch/food ... a book/phone charger to keep yourself occupied, especially if you were in the last group like I was :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Kerrystar93

How long of a break do u get after the obstacle course to do the push/pull? Is that machine hard? Any tips for it?
    My pct is at 4. What time would I want to be signing in for?

Advertisement