Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 deenam

Edsjd wrote: »
    Anyone here who sent in the GP clearance form and still awaiting the date for PCT

When was your GP clearance due?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mcr1111

Just wondering did anyone else fail the fitness test and get a medical for next week? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Edsjd

deenam wrote: »
    When was your GP clearance due?

27/12/19 but sent it in on Christmas Eve......rang them earlier this afternoon and was told that "We have no dates You'll be contacted by email"

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

Did you fail, haven't heard of anyone getting a medical date after failing the fitness. You generally have to pass fitness before medical, I had pct 17th December and have repeat 28th and have heard nothing about medical, when did you fail and what did you fail on?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

daniel1390 wrote: »
    Did you fail, haven't heard of anyone getting a medical date after failing the fitness. You generally have to pass fitness before medical, I had pct 17th December and have repeat 28th and have heard nothing about medical, when did you fail and what did you fail on?

Just to add to this, can you defer the medical? I've a bit of weight on but my legs are heavily built and have a lot of weight in them, so I dont think they would allow that to be the reason to be over weight for BMI

• Advertisement

As far as I'm aware if your bmi is 30 or higher that rules you out regardless of muscle mass but I stand to be corrected on this, if you fail for this think your given 3 months to get the weight down, don't think you can defer for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mcr1111

I failed my fitness on Tuesday and got a medical for next week!

What did you fail on?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

daniel1390 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware if your bmi is 30 or higher that rules you out regardless of muscle mass but I stand to be corrected on this, if you fail for this think your given 3 months to get the weight down, don't think you can defer for that reason

Oh you can repeat the medical too, I never knew I thought if you failed it that's you out. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 S84

Same as, I rang them and they said my vetting just wasnt complete. They said nothing I can do about It that everyones vetting is different but not to worry that it's very common for vetting to take a few months. As long as it's done for march/april

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 deniseecath

Mcr1111 wrote: »
    I failed my fitness on Tuesday and got a medical for next week!

Maybe ring or email HRM to clarify?
    On my first campaign in 2017, they ran it medical-first and then fitness. My medical was cancelled due to snow, so I had to ring HRM and ask was I still to go for the fitness (at the time you had to be cleared by the Garda doctor first) and they told me not to and rescheduled.
    In other words sometimes the left hand doesn't talk to the right hand and HRM messes things up. Just email them and ask. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ba88

S84 wrote: »
    Same as, I rang them and they said my vetting just wasnt complete. They said nothing I can do about It that everyones vetting is different but not to worry that it's very common for vetting to take a few months. As long as it's done for march/april

So frustrating not knowing. Really hoping all will be done in time for next intake but no idea how far back the OOM will go

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭St.Brigids

Got physical retest date for feb 25th. Hopefully can pass the push pull then. Pity can’t really practice it. Anyone any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ba88

St.Brigids wrote: »
    Got physical retest date for feb 25th. Hopefully can pass the push pull then. Pity can’t really practice it. Anyone any tips?

For what its worth I found that it was all in the stance. Strike the balance between not being too far forward or too far back. If you managed to get through the push ups I would imagine you are more than strong enough for it so might just be about honing the technique a little bit

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DKGD2019

Hi guys, In relation to the age category for the PCT 18-25 & 26-35, is it what age you are on the day eg 25 (nearly 26) and not what year you’re born ? It makes a lot of difference in the shuttle run. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

I'm in the gym and a tip i got of the PT was get en elastic band or even a rope and tie it tightly between 2 trees or poles, stand in the middle and grab it and just push and pull it.
    It obviously wont have the same pressure as the one in the PCT but it will be a workout for the arms and build up the endurance.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

DKGD2019 wrote: »
    Hi guys, In relation to the age category for the PCT 18-25 & 26-35, is it what age you are on the day eg 25 (nearly 26) and not what year you’re born ? It makes a lot of difference in the shuttle run. Thanks

I would imagine its what your age is on the day that will put you into either category.

SquireD wrote: »
    I'm in the gym and a tip i got of the PT was get en elastic band or even a rope and tie it tightly between 2 trees or poles, stand in the middle and grab it and just push and pull it.
    It obviously wont have the same pressure as the one in the PCT but it will be a workout for the arms and build up the endurance.

Hope this helps!

Thanks I will give this a go. Gutted as passed everything else well.

ba88 wrote: »
    For what its worth I found that it was all in the stance. Strike the balance between not being too far forward or too far back. If you managed to get through the push ups I would imagine you are more than strong enough for it so might just be about honing the technique a little bit

Okay, I will try focus on this.

Maybe doing the same motion with a prowler with weight might give idea. I know that the position of the handle won’t be same.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 S84

Yeah, they said to ring whenever I want to check up on the status of the vetting so fingers crossed. I'll post up here when it finally comes through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 lg.cardonha

Rowing machine in the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Whitsundays93

Anyone have a meeting with their local sergeant, inspector and superintendent? Thought it was only sergeant and super but I’ve been called to three meetings at my local station?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jadeie.t

Hey! Could I just ask when was your original PCT date? Did you get 12 weeks between your first date and repeat on the 25th?

Jadeie.t wrote: »
    Hey! Could I just ask when was your original PCT date? Did you get 12 weeks between your first date and repeat on the 25th?

14th was original date.

When I done my PCT in April 2019 I failed on the push-pull. I was told I'd get 12 weeks before a re-test. HRM emailed me six weeks later and offered me an earlier date, but said I could choose to wait until my 12 week period had passed. I chose the 12 week option as that gave me more time to train.

But a friend of mine is in the 2019 campaign and he failed his PCT the first week of January. He got an email yesterday inviting him for his re-test on the 25th of February in the evening.

There was no mentioned 12 week period, and he wasn't offered another date besides this one.

When I done my PCT in April 2019 I failed on the push-pull. I was told I'd get 12 weeks before a re-test. HRM emailed me six weeks later and offered me an earlier date, but said I could choose to wait until my 12 week period had passed. I chose the 12 week option as that gave me more time to train.

But a friend of mine is in the 2019 campaign and he failed his PCT the first week of January. He got an email yesterday inviting him for his re-test on the 25th of February in the evening.

There was no mentioned 12 week period, and he wasn't offered another date besides this one.

Did you pass the second time. What did you do differently?

Did you pass the second time. What did you do differently?

I failed my first one because of the push-pull. I only got an average of 22kg instead of 22.5kg. I was gutted over .5kg.
    So I worked my arse off in the gym doing PT - a mix of weights and cardio three/four times a week and ran on a home treadmill two/three times a week.

Honestly it was down to the instructor we had on the day I think. We had a woman called Geraldine who was 6'2". She was a huge help.
    She explained to me and another short girl that the key was not to focus on upper body strength, as you might first think.

- When you're done the obstacle course and you need a breather, drop down and take your time retying your laces if you need a second or two.
    - When they tell you to have a 'trial' go at the push-pull, use and abuse it. Take as long as you can.
    - Imagine you're pushing a car. Yes it sounds dumb, but it helped me. When pushing a car, your arms are locked and the power comes from your thighs.
    - Push all the way until you hear the beep, then put the same effort into pulling it back to you. Re-adjust your stance on the pull-back if you need to.
    - Go hell for leather. Seriously. It's only about half-a-minute. Put your everything into every push forward and yank back.

But using the analogy of pushing a car really helped me and I got an average of 28kg on my second go.
    Hope that helps!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

Received my GP clearance form on friday and has to be returned by next friday. Can anyone tell me a rough lead time from returning the form to taking the fitness. Really I need about 6 months to get ready for the shuttle test but I don't that will be happening :D

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 576hkg348rjn21

Hey all. Can anyone tell me how leave while in training works? Is it a two week block or can you take it when you need?

• Advertisement

Nearly sure it's at designated times

Advertisement