Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New NOx VRT levy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yeah i might catch them on a bad day, so better try and figure something out today, funny looking up internet cafe's and stuff :-D I left my printer about 3 counties away so not worth the trip!
    They didn't ask for mine. I think it was because the invoice day was within 30 days of the VRT appointment so obviously it didn't matter when I brought it in exactly as it couldn't have been more than 30 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

They didn't ask for mine. I think it was because the invoice day was within 30 days of the VRT appointment so obviously it didn't matter when I brought it in exactly as it couldn't have been more than 30 days ago.

ah yeah of course, my invoice from back in July and moved home last week...pity I can't pay the VRT pro rata and get a 50% discount :rolleyes:

I do have bills and payslips to show I was living in UK so if i get ferry ticket printed should be ok, ferry is coming into Belfast so no proof of when actually entered the Republic but I'm sure others in my position would have tried to sneak the 6 months somehow, change the ferry ticket date or something and payslip dates!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

ah yeah of course, my invoice from back in July and moved home last week...pity I can't pay the VRT pro rata and get a 50% discount :rolleyes:

I do have bills and payslips to show I was living in UK so if i get ferry ticket printed should be ok, ferry is coming into Belfast so no proof of when actually entered the Republic but I'm sure others in my position would have tried to sneak the 6 months somehow, change the ferry ticket date or something and payslip dates!
    You might have a VRT exemption if you lived in the UK long enough.

You might have a VRT exemption if you lived in the UK long enough.

I lived there 8 years but only bought the car in July, need to have it 6 months. I was trying to buy one since the old one gave up during march! Got made redundant in Aberdeen and said I'd not begrudge paying it if I'd a job when I came home which I do :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I lived there 8 years but only bought the car in July, need to have it 6 months. I was trying to buy one since the old one gave up during march! Got made redundant in Aberdeen and said I'd not begrudge paying it if I'd a job when I came home which I do :-)

Hold on before you do anything. If you had an established history of owning a car then Revenue has the flexibility to grant you a transfer of residence exemption on a car you have owned for less than 6 months in limited circumstances of it replacing a knackered car.

See pages 8&9 at this link. You need to make the application to Revenue before you do any VRT stuff. You will need to prove prior residence overseas etc. I don’t know if your old car was crashed/stolen or whether covid caused the transfer back. You would be silly not to put forward the best case you can.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-02.pdf

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    Hold on before you do anything. If you had an established history of owning a car then Revenue has the flexibility to grant you a transfer of residence exemption on a car you have owned for less than 6 months in limited circumstances of it replacing a knackered car.

See pages 8&9 at this link. You need to make the application to Revenue before you do any VRT stuff. You will need to prove prior residence overseas etc. I don’t know if your old car was crashed/stolen or whether covid caused the transfer back. You would be silly not to put forward the best case you can.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-02.pdf

Ah raging only saw this now, yeah that would have been worth a shot! The old car was on it's last legs but would have been hard to prove I suppose! Thanks for this caveat though, I'll try not to dwell on it too much :D Could have probably proved I got made redundant (Due to low oil price, covid, and stated that my old car was 12 years old and the speedometer had stopped working!) What a pirty!
    With the 3 month gap between purchase and clearing it I thought i'd have to prove residence outside the country but wasn't asked for it....only a print out of ferry to belfast.....It could have been easy to chage the date on that and chanced it till January, I hadn't realised you coudl get Irish insurance on a UK plate either, that was a main cocern that I'd not bee insured as I'd have down my UK residence where I didn't live anymore!

It could be worth me enquiring anyway, I shouldn't be penalised for trying to do the right thing! I had the car 3 months exactly so that should help! Yeah it says VRT should be reapid! Thanks so much I've got proof of being made redundant so that should help, and a job offer in Ireland.
    But the vehicle has been in the state for more than 7 days :-( as arrived on October 2nd

Final updateL I've got all the documents together and filled in the form I'll put a stamp on envelope but hand drop it in the letter box tomorrow, it should have arrived at the office last Friday to be in time but hopefully some lieniency can be shown or they'll think it got delayted in the post. If this works I owe you a few pints!
    We don't have access to a printer and can't find an internet cafe but somebody has offered via a facebook group in the wicklow area to let us print the docs 31 sheets in total so we better get them something as a thank you!
    It was actually a nice form (odd thing to say I know) but you had space to explain your situation and exactly why you were moving home, like arguing a legal case and providing evidence. It assuring to know it'll be read by a human and they have leeway, some humanity from the revenue! Fingers crossed

Ah raging only saw this now, yeah that would have been worth a shot! The old car was on it's last legs but would have been hard to prove I suppose! Thanks for this caveat though, I'll try not to dwell on it too much :D Could have probably proved I got made redundant (Due to low oil price, covid, and stated that my old car was 12 years old and the speedometer had stopped working!) What a pirty!
    With the 3 month gap between purchase and clearing it I thought i'd have to prove residence outside the country but wasn't asked for it....only a print out of ferry to belfast.....It could have been easy to chage the date on that and chanced it till January, I hadn't realised you coudl get Irish insurance on a UK plate either, that was a main cocern that I'd not bee insured as I'd have down my UK residence where I didn't live anymore!

It could be worth me enquiring anyway, I shouldn't be penalised for trying to do the right thing! I had the car 3 months exactly so that should help! Yeah it says VRT should be reapid! Thanks so much I've got proof of being made redundant so that should help, and a job offer in Ireland.
    But the vehicle has been in the state for more than 7 days :-( as arrived on October 2nd

Final updateL I've got all the documents together and filled in the form I'll put a stamp on envelope but hand drop it in the letter box tomorrow, it should have arrived at the office last Friday to be in time but hopefully some lieniency can be shown or they'll think it got delayted in the post. If this works I owe you a few pints!
    We don't have access to a printer and can't find an internet cafe but somebody has offered via a facebook group in the wicklow area to let us print the docs 31 sheets in total so we better get them something as a thank you!
    It was actually a nice form (odd thing to say I know) but you had space to explain your situation and exactly why you were moving home, like arguing a legal case and providing evidence. It assuring to know it'll be read by a human and they have leeway, some humanity from the revenue! Fingers crossed

If you are ultimately entitled to a TOR exemption based on the force majeure (redundancy and death of other car) you should apply for it irrespective of the timing. It might even be accepted or considered after paying the VRT if you can establish the facts and assert a case that you were unaware of Tevenue practice in the area.

If you are ultimately entitled to a TOR exemption based on the force majeure (redundancy and death of other car) you should apply for it irrespective of the timing. It might even be accepted or considered after paying the VRT if you can establish the facts and assert a case that you were unaware of Tevenue practice in the area.

Yeah from what I read you are supposed to go ahead and pay the VRT and then claim it back, if your apointment comes up. I had about 35 sheets of evidence and documentation in the envelope I dropped off yesterday, so I think I've a decent shot. I'll see it as a bonus though if it works, and try to forget about it till I hear anything back, don't want to be dissapointed! Thanks again for pointing this out and hopefully something comes of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

Hello,

Would anyone know the nox charge on a 2014 bmw 520d sport automatic. It's the 119 co2 emissions model with eurocap 6 engine . Unfortunately I can't find a nox figure anywhere for car.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it’s Euro 6 then the most it could be is €600.

It’ll probably be way less though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If it’s Euro 6 then the most it could be is €600.

It’ll probably be way less though.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. You'd think they would make nox clearer on all adverts in uk on cars and add it automatically to vrt online calculator also lol

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

th hen wrote: »
    Hello,

Would anyone know the nox charge on a 2014 bmw 520d sport automatic. It's the 119 co2 emissions model with eurocap 6 engine . Unfortunately I can't find a nox figure anywhere for car.

Thanks in advance

Pm me the Reg and I’ll see if I can’t find it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Hello,

Thanks in advance

NOX on that model is only something like 0.031

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. You'd think they would make nox clearer on all adverts in uk on cars and add it automatically to vrt online calculator also lol

No need to, their main customer base is the 60 million people in the UK and not the handful of people in Ireland importing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

is nox usually closely related to the co2 g/km figure? just wondering if a 2011/12 a7 would be a good bit more on nox charge, than say a 13 or 14...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    is nox usually closely related to the co2 g/km figure? just wondering if a 2011/12 a7 would be a good bit more on nox charge, than say a 13 or 14...

Nox tends to go down in steps when the EU introduce Duro 4 duro 5 Duro 6 etc. Duro 6 came in 2015, not sure when Duro 5 came in so if before 200 prob not much of any difference. Purely a guess though, I could have the wrong name or number on the levels of NOx but hopefully you get the idea, I'm too tired to look it up as off to bed. Somebody here might correct me or know the years, but if you Google it in sure you'll find the years of introduction.

Even though my ford focus was 2014 it met the 2015 spec as the engine was 2015 spec as it was a December car. So if Audi did something similar there might be a big difference in a late 2014 car Vs even an early 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Idbatterim wrote: »

From a technical viewpoint no. NOX emissions happen as a result of burning fuel at high temperatures. C02 is a by product of burning fuel full stop. You can limit what C02 you emmit by burning less fuel.
    The ultimate way would be in this context would be to stop driving your car. Modern cars use fuel injection and alter the combustion dynamics of an engine and use turbos for example; that is why you see a lot of smaller engine now, 1 and - 1.2 ltr turbo that only have 3 cyclinder engines as apposed to the common 4; the have simply remove a lung reduce C02.

The hotter your engine burns the more efficient it becomes however this efficiency comes at a cost of high Nox emmsiions. What’s good for cars and fuel efficiency is bad for every living thing on this planet. If the car your looking at has high fuel efficiency diesel and quoted as low nox then you should consider how true the stated figures are especially on pre 2020 cars since there testing regime was a joke. I drive a 08 a4 2.0 Tdi I know the NoX figures for that are way off reality but ultimatly I will only pay an extra €50 on road tax.

Nox tends to go down in steps when the EU introduce Duro 4 duro 5 Duro 6 etc. Duro 6 came in 2015, not sure when Duro 5 came in so if before 200 prob not much of any difference. Purely a guess though, I could have the wrong name or number on the levels of NOx but hopefully you get the idea, I'm too tired to look it up as off to bed. Somebody here might correct me or know the years, but if you Google it in sure you'll find the years of introduction.

Even though my ford focus was 2014 it met the 2015 spec as the engine was 2015 spec as it was a December car. So if Audi did something similar there might be a big difference in a late 2014 car Vs even an early 2014

The test carried out on those cars were complete red hearings as the manufactures had the claws all over the guidelines and testing regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭vmware

2018 A6 Avant Black Editon 2.0 TDi Ultra 190 Stronic (Old Shape)

looking importing this,

Jan 2018 38000 miles

Whats the approx VRT / NOX to import this

It's pure and simple protectionism under the guise of being an eco measure.

You've forgotten that the manufacture of all cars, petrol, diesel or electric, do extreme damage to the environment, and also to the population of some other country since we've got no automotive industry to speak of.

Buying an electric and pretending you're saving the planet, while a 7 year old in Africa is mining cobalt used in it's batteries, is disingenuous to say the least.

Also, stated NOx (and CO2) figures for the vast majority of vehicles have absolutely no relation to how they perform in the real world.

In 2008 we were all given incentives to buy E85 vehicles. €5k VRT rebate IIRC, in addition to reduced fuel duty. Tailpipe emissions of CO2 are higher for E85, but this is very heavily offset by the growing of the crop.

This was eliminated overnight, due to the government losing money, rather than any environmental concerns.

I'm no climate change denier, but government policy is based on public perception rather than actual facts. If it wasn't for the VW scandal, the government would have no mandate to tax diesels so heavily, and your wouldn't be calling them filthy polluting diesels.

Ya shur only for WW2 Hitler wouldn't have been labelled a antisemite . come on

• Advertisement

They verify chassis, wouldn't be too long once they're looking. Shouldn't be any more then 20 minutes.

The chassis number of all cars is displayed on the bottom of the windscreen at the passenger side.

Seems about right, my E220D 2015 Euro 6 is around the same.

those figure are false diesel gate didn't only effect VW all manufactures were found out. VW were just caught red handed

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Excuse the click bait title!:D

I recently as in this afternoon discovered the joys of NOX.

I was horrified as initially I left it blank and it defaulted to the max of €4850 on both an x1 and x5.

After I realised the horrific sh1te I was dealing with I went about finding the exact NOX for the x5.

It's a mission. I know it's on a V5 etc but my question is this - is there an easier way to find based on the reg of the car?

I've never seen it listed on the likes of autotrader etc.

It can as we know be hard enough to find the correct model x5 etc on the vrt page - this one has 158 co2 and was a task getting that to come up.

NOX was estimated at 41g per km.

Lastly I'd say why does the revenue not just automate the nox and lump it in with the vrt figure - based on the car we select they would/could know the nox etc.

It seems like a great big waste of time to me tbh.

What people here should be more horrified about is the fact that you're breathing in the stuff on a daly basis.The air quality around Dublin urban areas is worse then Beijing, you can read the meters yourself online. Im not a green libtard im an Agricultural Engineer, ie big diesel guzzling Silage harvesters. People need to get a swift upper cut about this NOX stuff. Just look at the places that have the worst covid cases, Milan, Madrid, Liverpool all choked by toxic air. :confused:

about €170 euro nox is 0.034 but double check it on the V5C

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Mintoe wrote: »
    about €170 euro nox is 0.034 but double check it on the V5C

Thanks looks like a saving of 3-4K if I import.

Only question now is do i buy now or wait for new year

I'd advise to buy NOW as from 1st Jan 2021 UK/Britain will be out of the EU trade market and there will be an import duty on goods and vehicles at the border as well as increased vrt and nox charges at point of registration.

You are a hero! I got the exemption! I have already paid so need to figure out how to get a refund (normally I apply to same office I've sent an the info to do I'll call them tomorrow and see if they need to send my documents back and then I send them in again or they just process it) can't thank you enough, you've saved me about €1500 (assuming refund all goes to plan). It's the most important thing I've ever read on the whole internet!

• Advertisement

You are a hero! I got the exemption! I have already paid so need to figure out how to get a refund (normally I apply to same office I've sent an the info to do I'll call them tomorrow and see if they need to send my documents back and then I send them in again or they just process it) can't thank you enough, you've saved me about €1500 (assuming refund all goes to plan). It's the most important thing I've ever read on the whole internet!

And now for my fee, at the relatively modest charge of €1,200 per hour, I reckon you owe me about €300.

Advertisement