Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stadiums

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Heard baseball is a **** of a sport to watch live

First game i went to had one run in the 9th inning and was torture...but i didnt know the rules, players etc. No vested interest. Years later i have got into the game and love to go, but if you were just doing it as a tourist thing, i wouldnt bother. Very slow paced when you havent a clue what is actually happening

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Nowlan Park in Killenny is a great place for a concert but by god they didn't prepare well for this year's Bob Dylan show and the ques for the jacks for the pitch standing was horrendous

That was a horrendous experience, I nearly peed on someone. I probably would have been quicker walking home to have a pee and back.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Heard baseball is a **** of a sport to watch live

It’s an odd one, game is quite slow but there is lots going on with cheer leaders, the seventh inning stretch and take me out to the ball game. Not sure how often I’d go if I lived there but it’s worth an evening if your there and a game is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭babybuilder

San Mames in Bilbao Saw Barcelona v Athetico. Brand new stadium. Right in city. Fantastic atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

have lucky enough to go to a fair few stadiums over the years, loved walked across the trent bridge to the city ground even though i was never a forest fan. Been to Old Trafford too many times to count and seen it go from single tier all the way round to what it is now which to be honest has been impressive ( unfortunately the atmosphere has got worse). When going to united games i would if possible go to other stadiums nearby so also grew found of the closeness of Boundary Park in Oldham.

Although none of them came close to the matchday experience of the San Paolo in Naples, myself and my wife visited recently on our honeymoon and whilst the stadium does have a running track which i hate the actual noise from the fans and the sense of community in the ground was unrivalled. The stadium is showing its age and really hasnt been touched since Italia 90 but i would recommend all football fans to get over at least once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The Mestalla. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. Only about a 50,000 seater, but it's a towering stadium. The steepness is like a cliff face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Motivator

Strumms wrote: »
    That was horrible beyond belief, a truly evil and toxic atmosphere from their ‘supporters’ I was there too, scary when the seats were being fired down not a million miles from the schoolboy terrace where we were.... but under as you’ve described must have been heart failure stuff... that was heavy stuff they were firing..

We were at the back of the stand, not in any danger of getting hit with anything but I remember the fear of waiting for them to come down the stairs and start dishing out hidings. There were quite a few lads around us that wanted to go up the stairs to get at the English fans but the guards did a good job that night to be fair to them.

I remember walking in to Landsdowne across the dart line before the game and it was a horrible atmosphere. It was a miracle nobody was killed. It was great to hear that on their way down to the boats with the English after the match, the guards and some of the locals that hung around were able to dish out quite a few hidings to a good few English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

The Estadio Benito Villamarín and the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuan, both in Seville.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Metropolitano in Madrid
    Celtic Park
    Croke Park on all Ireland final day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Certainly not the best but the wackiest was Kenilworth Rd, home of Luton town FC

It's as if it is built by lego haphazardly over the decades. The corporate boxes take up one side but no space for fans. There simply is no overall design to the place

To enter the away end you walk through a former terraced house and then up the stairs where you can spy into the neighbours garden. I wonder if they get free season tickets or something as compo. Its mad I tell ya.

A great day out and it will be gone in 6 months is Griffen Park, west london home of Brentford FC. A pub on every corner they say and it is true! Great pre match buildup. Catch it if you can before its gone in May 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Only ever at the old Lansdowne road once, for a friendly, so haven't experienced a soccer stadium at all. Although that will change in three weeks when I visit the New White Hart Lane for a PL game. I have heard it is meant to be wonderful.

Heading there myself for the Liverpool game in January. Mate who is a Sprus season ticket holder there tells me the new stadium has the longest bar in Europe. Said it is very swanky inside but because hes old school he prefers the old stadium for atmosphere. Was also telling me after a football game they lift up the entire pitch and there is another one underneath for American Football games.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

Croker on hurling final day is magical,good craic amongst the crowd and love the ore match parade and colour.
    For sheer volume and atmosphere has to be Celtic park on European nights.Old firm games exceptional too,place literally rocks after a Celtic goal.never been anywhere to match.
    Like the Aviva,think the atmosphere is improving there.nice arena to watch a match.
    Disapointed by Old Trafford on few visits,high profile games,atomosphere not great.
    Villa Park nice old ground also dissapointed with atmosphere.
    Camp Nou,nice to have been to a game but also no real atmosohere.
    I like the crowd to play a part so Celtic park always the benchmark anywhere I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've been to a lot of stadia, love doing tours and all that. Here's a selection -

Great

Mercedes Benz Stadium - My god, the benchmark stadium for me. Unique design and it was heaving for an Atlanta United game, get there if you can.

Wrigley Field - Lived two blocks from it and the ivy plus the history is lovely.

Darrell K Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium - I went to a Longhorns game last year and the atmosphere with over 100k people was epic. It's getting a bit of an upgrade now to one of the ends.

Arrowhead Stadium - The loudest stadium in the world and it was my number 1 to visit, got there last year and it didn't disappoint.

Optus Stadium - The new stadium in Perth is unreal and I've been there for all sorts of sporting events, any excuse to go really. It's crap for gigs though.

Rogers Centre - If you sit on one of the sides you get a great view of the CN Tower while you're watching the Blue Jays, and if the roof stays open!

AAMI Park - Melbourne's mini stadium is perfect for watching football, great size at around 30k.

Good

Metlife Stadium - It ticks all the boxes for mod cons but there's nothing really outstanding about it.

MCG - It's a bit too big, especially if you're there for a sport that isn't played on an oval pitch. Nice to see though.

Rio Tinto Stadium - I went to an MLS game in Salt Lake City and the views of the mountains in the background were class, good size and atmosphere too.

Bad

The Aviva - Can't stand that half arsed end of the ground.

Croke Park - Again, it's unfinished.

Oakland Coliseum - An absolute dump but probably the most unique venue I've been to given the baseball infield was still in use by the A's with the season crossever. The Raiders fans were...interesting. But the stadium itself is awful.

Tolka Park - I grew up going to Tolka and it hurts to see the state of disrepair it's become. I'd love it to be kept and someone do a proper makeover but that won't happen.

Oriel Park - The away end, Christ.

New Wembley - It's just meh, very dull for what's meant to be an iconic venue. See also Camp Nou.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The Olympic stadium in Berlin is a very impressive piece of neo classical architecture with an equally impressive back story.
    Oh ja I remember some great days there before ze Var but nothing like Nuremburg. That vas fantastic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I have been to many more grim stadiums than good one's

Good
    Camp Nou
    West Ham (Stratford)
    Portimonenese (Decent little ground for capacity)
    Allianz Arena
    Millenium stadium

Grim
    Anfield (Last visited in 2002 however)
    Ewood park (Kip)
    Turf Moor (See above)
    Boleyn (Pains me to say that, although atmosphere was generally outstanding)
    All LOI grounds, especially Dalymount (Tallaght isn't too bad)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

camp nou

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dalymount for all it's flaws is my fave. BTID.

Dalymount for all it's flaws is my fave. BTID.

Bohs would have been better off using that big yard across the road :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

L1011 wrote: »
    Wembley has probably the fastest throughput/most suitable provision of toilets, bars and food outlets I've ever seen - atmosphere depends on the mood of the team you're there for; suspect it could be really boring in the neutral prawn sandwich zone.

Takes ages to get to the nearby village post match.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bohs would have been better off using that big yard across the road :pac:

We do:

https://bohemianfc.com/?p=11519

• Advertisement

:eek:

Well that backfired

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Doing their bit for the community. Bohs is also eco friendly in cultivating some fine foliage on one of the terraces

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Doing their bit for the community. Bohs is also eco friendly in cultivating some fine foliage on one of the terraces

We are a very community involved club. Also 3 500ml bottles of Veltins for a tenner in the bar you can't go wrong.

Bobblehats wrote: »

Very noble

Just a shame their "Yuvvs" like to cause havoc in Tallaght a few times a year :D

Still prefer our little enclave down by the camac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Foreign stadiums:
    - Old Trafford
    - Stade de France
    - Ernst Happel, Vienna
    - Boris Paichadze, Tbilisi
    - Estadio de Vallecas, Madrid
    - Vicente Calderon, Madrid
    - Neckar Stadium, Stuttgart
    - Estadio Nacional, Santiago

Reminds me has Valencia any plans to actually get their new stadium completed?! The bare bones of it have been a blight on the landscape for at least a decade and counting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Anfield. Especially on a good cold night with Champions League on.

When you hear the start of You’ll Never Walk Alone then you know it’s a special place to be.
    Old Trafford is a soulless stadium in the arse end of nowhere. It’s a pain to get to, the atmosphere is terrible, and Manchester United play there. Nothing to recommend it.

Will you cop on dragging the thread into this nonsense. Ironically it's Anfield that's in the run down area, a direct result of the club buying property in the immediate vacinity and then letting it rot and decay. For a club with a lot of scandal and embarrassment in its history, that's one of the worst.

Anfield is a hole. Restricted view seats everywhere, if you're in the away stand you can only see half the pitch with the overhang. Concrete barriers blocking the view on stands. The new stand looks completely out of place. It only holds 60k also. A real tin shack job. Atmosphere is shocking from minute 3-89 when the fans will go to sleep unless playing a bigger club than themselves

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Will you cop on dragging the thread into this nonsense. Ironically it's Anfield that's in the run down area, a direct result of the club buying property in the immediate vacinity and then letting it rot and decay. For a club with a lot of scandal and embarrassment in its history, that's one of the worst.

Anfield is a hole. Restricted view seats everywhere, if you're in the away stand you can only see half the pitch with the overhang. Concrete barriers blocking the view on stands. The new stand looks completely out of place. It only holds 60k also. A real tin shack job. Atmosphere is shocking from minute 3-89 when the fans will go to sleep unless playing a bigger club than themselves

I totally agree about Anfield but it is a few years since i have been there. My brother (fan) said it has totally been revampt over the last few years and is toop class.

Personally i thought it was a poxy stadium

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

La Bombonera - Insane. I was not at a River-Boca game but was at Boca v Independiente.

San Paolo - A bomb site of a stadium but a fantastic athmosphere with the Ultras in fine voice.

Benito Villamarin - Managed to get a ticket to the Seville derby. Amazing athmosphere.

Advertisement