Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stadiums

Options
  • 11-11-2019 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭

What were the best stadiums you ever visited ???

Been to a few UK stadiums and have to say there designed great in terms of fan areas for food/drink etc. Old Trafford and The Etihad are great inside in and out with massive squares for supporters and excellent transport links. Only London stadium I visited was the Olympic stadium and it's a great place

Back home Croke Park and the Aviva are the top places but suffer from being next to residential sites. I've been to the RDS and Thomond park and they are good in terms of having areas outside the stadium for fans. Some GAA grounds are suffering with age as are some of league of ireland places

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Cardiff arms park (old names are best), location and atmosphere. Probably my fav. Nou camp has to be up there too.

Still love the old grounds i used to watch on match of the day as a kid, so much more interesting than the bowls they build nowadays.

Molyneaux was always my personal favourite, rembember the zig zag structure of the main stand, always loved it for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Been to a few in my time.my top 3 would be the MCG in Melbourne,the millenium stadium in Cardiff,and Croke park no.3.stade de France is a beautiful stadium inside too.biggest kips I've been to include the Olympic stadium in Sydney,the old stade metropole in Lille and the Gaelic grounds in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Anfield. Especially on a good cold night with Champions League on.

When you hear the start of You’ll Never Walk Alone then you know it’s a special place to be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wembley has probably the fastest throughput/most suitable provision of toilets, bars and food outlets I've ever seen - atmosphere depends on the mood of the team you're there for; suspect it could be really boring in the neutral prawn sandwich zone.

Croke Park is nowhere near the worst stadium I've been to; but its absolutely the worst large stadium I've been to. "Designed" in a lull in decent stadium design where all the architects that knew what they were doing were trying to modify 80s stands to meet the Taylor Report in the UK and equivalent ramificiations across Europe. Uncomfortable and designed with servicability and safety over comfort and atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

New Wembley is very good as mentioned already getting out is surprisingly easy. I always like going to Craven Cottage just for the novelty factor with the house in the corner! Went to one game where I was in the "neutral" (who even has a neutral end lol) but got an email a few days beforehand saying due to demand from the away fans it was now also an away area and did I want to move. It was against a Polish (I think) team but thought f it should be a bit of craic. The atmosphere was insane! Andy Johnson scored and celebrated in front of them and they went absolutely ballistic started setting off flares etc. Not what you expect at Fulham!

One I thought was surprisingly bad was the Allianz Arena. Its changed now but at the time they had prepaid cards you had to get if you wanted to buy anything absolute pain in the ass you had to queue up for that then queue up again wtf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

sugarman wrote: »
    Almost all stadiums in Germany are "cashless" and have this.. keeps ques moving fast, no faffing with change. Very efficient.

Being slowly fazed out the last while with contactless bank cards / Google pay / Apple Pay fast becoming the standard and accepted instead.

This wasnt just cashless it was a card unique to the arena. Grand if you're a season ticket holder bit of a pain for everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Payment systems and queues for refreshments are where it's at with stadiums. Who cares about atmosphere, noise, passion and a real connection with your team when you can use your phone to pay for popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cardiff arms park (old names are best), location and atmosphere. Probably my fav. N.

I assume you mean the millennium stadium (or the principality or whatever it's called now) . The arms park is not the same ground and is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Best...

Aviva / Landsdowne
    Croke Park
    Old Trafford
    Celtic Park
    Stadium Of Light
    Giants Stadium (for the Houghton slow mo chip)
    Bernaubeu
    Nou Camp
    Stade De France (for the cûnt Henry fûcking us + a few other games back in ‘98)
    Parc Des Princes

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Best atmosphere at a match - Allianz Arena , Signal Iduna Park, San Siro, MCG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Best facilities - Century Link Field, Seattle. Pity the standard of MLS on the pitch didn't match the stadium. Also great viewing position, I'd say there isn't a seat in the stadium that you'd have a bad view of the pitch from.

Best atmosphere - Bernabeu, Olympic Stadium, Berlin and Elland Road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

greenflash wrote: »
    Payment systems and queues for refreshments are where it's at with stadiums. Who cares about atmosphere, noise, passion and a real connection with your team when you can use your phone to pay for popcorn

A team playing badly for a prolonged period and an unmotivated fanbase will make the best stadium possible seem crap and vice versa. People like you mistake fans for the quality of the stadium.

Crap facilities can feed in to crap everything else, of course. Withdean "Stadium" has many memories of that type for me; and even winning the league there doesn't change the fetid portaloos and need for ponchos.

I assume you mean the millennium stadium (or the principality or whatever it's called now) . The arms park is not the same ground and is still there.

Yeah that's it, whatever they call it. It was always the arms park when i first started travelling for matches there so in my head thats what i still call it, though i know thats technically incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah that's it, whatever they call it. It was always the arms park when i first started travelling for matches there so in my head thats what i still call it, though i know thats technically incorrect.

The arms park is a totally different stadium though. The small one behind the millennium stadium it's not like the aviva/lansdowne where they knocked it and built a new stadium on the site.

The arms park is a totally different stadium though. The small one behind the millennium stadium it's not like the aviva/lansdowne where they knocked it and built a new stadium on the site.

The old national stadium i referring to, before current one. Always known as the arms park to me anyway. But i wouldnt get into a fight over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

As sad as it sounds, I miss the old Lansdowne Road. As much as a dump as it was, have great memories of going to Ireland Football games. Aviva is a great stadium but you just can't replace the atmosphere of the old place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

jimmii wrote: »
    This wasnt just cashless it was a card unique to the arena. Grand if you're a season ticket holder bit of a pain for everyone else!

Yes, the whole cashless/club card is an absolute scam. They know full well that one off or rare visitors will throw money onto the card, whilst leaving an awkward amount on it, never to be used again. I have about €2 on a Rapid Vienna card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

When you hear the start of You’ll Never Walk Alone then you know it’s a special place to be.

That team itself is confused they think they’re rappers but they’re playing heavy metal. Except when Allison break out his acoustic guitar to restore calm at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Went to visit the old Wembley before it was knocked down and it was wonderful. Old and in need of repair for sure but something about it screamed atmosphere... done the tour and got to walk out the tunnel and even met Emlyn Hughes in the coffee shop afterwards.

The best for me is prob the Aviva, yeah the old Lansdowne was great and had character but the Aviva is a fantastic ground and I couldn't say a bad word about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Found Old Trafford to be fairly ramshackle when I was there TBH.

Eithad is tiny and fairly bland.

Love the Aviva, very pretty stadium.

Croker you can't really compare to soccer stadiums as it's such a vast arena. Showing it's age a little bit I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

And still dominated by a skyline of flats. Reminds me I visited Twickebham once, only difference was it wasn’t a matchday. Far from it there was nobody there maybe a solitary groundsman left a turnstile open? Looked for a ball so I could reenact Eric Elwoods matchwinning touchline conversion but nothing - decided to investigate further but nobody......anybody?! Twickenham for me will forever remain an eerie place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Good idea for a thread

Craven Cottage (lovely part of london, easy access, plenty of pubs etc)
    St James Park (nice stadium in the middle of the city)
    Old Trafford
    Olympic Stadium Berlin
    Stade Toulousain
    Thomond Park
    Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PerryB78

Not a Celtic fan but had the privilege of attending a champions league game at Parkhead, best atmosphere I've ever experienced. Highbury was a magnificent ground too, full of history and character, shame it was swopped for the soulless corporate Emirates stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Bonbonara (Boca Jnrs) Buenos Aires

Nothing in Europe comes close

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Croker you can't really compare to soccer stadiums as it's such a vast arena. Showing it's age a little bit I think.

It's a 3 quarters stadium, the north end is unfinished

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's a 3 quarters stadium, the north end is unfinished

Just like the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Good idea for a thread

Craven Cottage (lovely part of london, easy access, plenty of pubs etc)
    St James Park (nice stadium in the middle of the city)
    Old Trafford
    Olympic Stadium Berlin
    Stade Toulousain
    Thomond Park
    Aviva

Craven Cottage. Lovely little stadium and no seat too far from the action. Grand walk from Putney Tube along by the Thames and yes, good local type pubs
    Newcastle is near the city centre, great when Toon are on form
    Middlesborough, a disaster out in an industrial estate but great days there in the time of Ravaneli and Juhnino.

Croke Park has lost its soul

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The old national stadium i referring to, before current one. Always known as the arms park to me anyway. But i wouldnt get into a fight over it!

Cardiff Arms Park is officially called BT Sports Cardiff Arms Park, it still exists and it is not the millénium stadium.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Been very lucky to have visited so many in the last few years, but there has been a few that have stood out:
    Weser Stadion,
    RheinEnergie in Cologne was beautiful,
    Stadio Olimpico,
    San Siro,
    Vitesse Arnhem was memorable for the 75 year anniversary of the Battle of Arnhem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Loved Craven Cottage

Advertisement