Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City centre "raid"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

PreCocious wrote: »

The same reason that the summer drug trade in Schull / Baltimore / Crook goes under the radar.

Ya that’s a load of bollocks. Been going to Crook for decades. Never seen anything worse than a bit of weed floating about the place.

But it’s another easy swipe to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PreCocious

bot43 wrote: »
    Ya that’s a load of bollocks. Been going to Crook for decades. Never seen anything worse than a bit of weed floating about the place.

But it’s another easy swipe to make.

That's the point.

It's an easy swipe to make and because it fits in with people's preconceived notions a lot of people will accept it.

That's why on this thread we've seen the people ranting about others and using the vocabulary of a particular racist cohort - that fitted in with their preconceived notions of what happened.

The big issue is that the news reports were unclear - they left room for speculation and hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

That's the point.

It's an easy swipe to make and because it fits in with people's preconceived notions a lot of people will accept it.

That's why on this thread we've seen the people ranting about others and using the vocabulary of a particular racist cohort - that fitted in with their preconceived notions of what happened.

The big issue is that the news reports were unclear - they left room for speculation and hearsay.

Apologies.

I’ve not liked the tone of the conversation and jumped in with both feet it seems :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

We now have our first generation of heroin addicts in the city centre, mostly young lads with wild eyes looking for their next fix.

100% this. I'd be far more concerned about this sinister development than a bunch of teenagers acting like idiots.

Last Friday I had 2 separate incidents where I was approached by junkies in the north inner city. I haven't had that experience in Cork before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

Yes, it's the sort of "jape" that these lads would come up with, safe in the knowledge that even if they did get lifted Daddy, or Uncle Rory, would ensure nothing happened

My young fella goes to one of those two schools. I’m a plain old PAYE worker for an American multinational. I shop at Aldi. I went to a non-fee-paying school up the country. I work my bollocks off so that my kids can have opportunities I didn’t have. I don’t own a summer home in West Cork or anywhere else. This is true for most parents at that school. There is very little evidence of privilege. If my son were ever to get in trouble, I have no “connections” that would help him out. So listen, you continue to believe your us-and-them Eton-by-the-Lee deluded fantasy about Cork’s fee-paying schools but I’m afraid a fantasy is all it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just let the Guards beat the piss out of them with a baton. Arm all of them too, no one takes our police force serious. A gang of kids in a stand off with kids laughing at them is embarrassing. I was in Germany a few weeks ago, police there you wouldn't **** with, military looking - fit men and women that is what we need here.

The city centre is gone to the dogs, I lived in Dublin before and it's as bad but no police presence around. I'm 6 foot 2 and built so I don't get any hassle around town but it definitely feels unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I have noticed more of a garda presence this week, several foot patrols have passed, which is unusual.

I'm 5'8" skinny as fcuk and tbh I find it pretty hyperbolic to say town feels unsafe but yes there definitely is a rougher edge to the place at the moment. Heroin looks to be getting a serious foothold.

I wasn't in town on Friday but people have been talking about it a lot. As I said I wasn't there so I don't know the demographic of the kids for sure, but I will say that the one customer who was very insistent that it was all African kids was also on the bus that day the Nigerian woman abandoned her buggy at the stop because the dole would give her another one anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

cantalach wrote: »
    My young fella goes to one of those two schools. I’m a plain old PAYE worker for an American multinational. I shop at Aldi. I went to a non-fee-paying school up the country. I work my bollocks off so that my kids can have opportunities I didn’t have. I don’t own a summer home in West Cork or anywhere else. This is true for most parents at that school. There is very little evidence of privilege. If my son were ever to get in trouble, I have no “connections” that would help him out. So listen, you continue to believe your us-and-them Eton-by-the-Lee deluded fantasy about Cork’s fee-paying schools but I’m afraid a fantasy is all it is.

Still don't understand why they get state funding. I say that as an ex-CBC pupil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Still don't understand why they get state funding. I say that as an ex-CBC pupil.

I’ve never really thought about it tbh. In fact I don’t even know what funding is provided, i.e. if it is just teachers’ salaries or more.

But off the top of my head I would think:

If fee-paying schools didn’t exist, the State would then have to bear the entire cost of educating those boys, including the capital costs of the buildings and equipment. I reckon the State is getting a bargain with the current model.

The boys are being educated to become productive members of society, whose taxes will fund the education of the next generation amongst other things. State assistance is provided to many private ventures and institutions which increase the wealth and wellbeing of society.

These schools teach the curriculum prescribed by the State and don’t have the freedom to do their own thing. Seems only fair if the schools are doing the State’s bidding (“hey schools, we want our future citizens to know all the following...”) that the State should contribute to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

cantalach wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. I went to one of these schools and while there certainly were some like the stereotype, who had the big houses in Crosshaven or Blackrock village, coupled with the suitably expensive cars, the vast majority are just ordinary people like you'd find in any other school. We certainly weren't poor growing up but like yourself, my parents prioritised our education above things like holidays abroad, nice cars and a few other things people supposedly would do because they went to Christians or Pres. That's the way it is for most people in Christians and Pres actually, ordinary folk leading ordinary lives with no pretensions or reason to look down on people from a 'lesser' area or any kind of nonsense like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement