Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual SIM phone - Which way to use both GOMO and Tesco Mobile

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

2G is all that is needed for calls and text, in fact they don't work on 4G (unless over VoLTE but that's network and handset dependent). When a call or text is incoming, the signal will change to 3G or 2G on the notification bar. In 2G mode it will stay on 2G all the time.

There's no benefit to having 4G on a SIM used only for 2G services (calls texts). It is more likely to waste battery as the SIM keeps searching for a 4G or 3G signal whereas 2G is probably the mode with best signal and least traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Ten Pin wrote: »
    2G is all that is needed for calls and text, in fact they don't work on 4G (unless over VoLTE but that's network and handset dependent). When a call or text is incoming, the signal will change to 3G or 2G on the notification bar. In 2G mode it will stay on 2G all the time.

There's no benefit to having 4G on a SIM used only for 2G services (calls texts). It is more likely to waste battery as the SIM keeps searching for a 4G or 3G signal whereas 2G is probably the mode with best signal and least traffic.

Would that have any effect on data ? Going between 2g & 4g ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you sure your handset is capable? Many cannot link LTE on both simultaneously. Non data sim should only ever be on 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Any negatives for allowing dual 4g on both SIM cards . Currently testing gomo to carry the load of calls , messages & data . Vodafone second SIM just to receive calls , nothing else . Battery drain with both Sims active all the time ?

Currently have 2 bars for gomo , 4 for Vodafone . Toggled 4g dual SIM & Vodafone went to 2 bars , gomo remained the same . Gomo in slot 1 . Any reasoning behind this . Not particularly bothered if Vodafone goes down as only have it activated in the off chance someone wants to ring old number .

The only time you might need 4G on both SIMs is if you use a network that requires a 3G enabled handset like a Three UK SIM in the UK. The Three UK SIM will not register with the masts unless it's in a 3G handset and in older non dual 4G handsets that SIM had to be set to be used for data. (Three UK does register here in Ireland with 2G).
    With the newer dual 4G SIM devices you can still use the Irish SIM for data but make the Three UK SIM active for calls/texts by having the dual 4G turned on when in the UK. I do this at times in the UK as I need a UK number for people to contact me without paying for an international mobile call, but I want to use my Irish data allowance. Previously on an older handset, I had to change the data to the Three UK SIM which cost money - it's PAYG

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

ED E wrote: »
    Are you sure your handset is capable? Many cannot link LTE on both simultaneously. Non data sim should only ever be on 3G.

I'm not sure . It's a new phone , Xiaomi mi 9 lite . And my Vodafone PAYG top-up is expiring tomorrow I think , so will only be using that SIM to receive calls if anybody rings my old number . I have the gomo sim now set for calls + data . I haven't been outside the house with it yet to see what exact signal I'm getting , ie 3g/4g with the two Sims . I've just been pricking around with it inside the house as the phone is for Xmas but I'm setting it up now and testing things out .

• Advertisement
Advertisement